ImageImageImageImageImage

Here…We….Go (Steph is getting ready)

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,846

Re: Here…We….Go (Steph is getting ready) 

Post#21 » by floppymoose » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:46 pm

I read that not as Steph saying he is considering leaving , but instead that he is on board with making major deadline moves . And that he thinks they are needed.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#22 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:48 pm

floppymoose wrote:I read that not as Steph saying he is considering leaving , but instead that he is on board with making major deadline moves . And that he thinks they are needed.

…or else trade me
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,030

Post#23 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:56 pm

killmongrel wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:CP3 to Orlando for Isaac and Harris.

CP3/Saric/Seconds for Isaac/Ingles/Goga.

I don't mind it. It really depends on what ideas Orlando has.

If they value the CP3/Saric connection I'm amendable to that. But at the same time, with the consistent play of WCJ and Moe Wagner, are there many minute available for Saric? Will they like Saric more than Goga? Will we?

I prefer Harris over Ingles because Harris provides better point defense than Ingles but I don't mind Ingles at all. It's all in the haggling and which Kerr prefers between the two.

Do we have any interest in Fultz to replace the ball handling we lose trading CP3? I don't really know his game or how it would fit in here.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
drywallmaster
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#24 » by drywallmaster » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:57 pm

Does nothing to help the Warriors try for the play-in. Paul is more useful to the Warriors than those players. I’d rather see if they can get Wendell Carter, salary filler for Paul, Moody and a couple seconds. If the Warriors can get players like Murray, Capela, Carter and maybe Kuzma and only lose players like Paul, Moody, Wiggins, Looney, Payton, Klay and maybe just one first round pick, then I’d consider that. Those teams could demand more depending on which players we’re talking about. Otherwise, I’d rather just let Klay and Paul walk in free agency and then figure it out in the offseason.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#25 » by killmongrel » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:04 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

CP3/Saric/Seconds for Isaac/Ingles/Goga.

I don't mind it. It really depends on what ideas Orlando has.

If they value the CP3/Saric connection I'm amendable to that. But at the same time, with the consistent play of WCJ and Moe Wagner, are there many minute available for Saric? Will they like Saric more than Goga? Will we?

I prefer Harris over Ingles because Harris provides better point defense than Ingles but I don't mind Ingles at all. It's all in the haggling and which Kerr prefers between the two.

Do we have any interest in Fultz to replace the ball handling we lose trading CP3? I don't really know his game or how it would fit in here.

I personally don't even care about Ingles. This off season, his salary of 11m is a team option. I just like the flexibility of it and he's just in the trade to make the numbers work. It's about how much Orlando values him. I'm including Saric in the trade because Orlando might value his shooting which is why Ingles is there.

I also don't see GS having any interest in re-signing Harris. My issue with his salary is that he's an expiring. So if we trade for him and the Warriors don't want to re-sign him, that leaves Isaac's 17m salary this off season. I don't really see the Warriors probably all that interested in keeping an oft injured big who can't shoot on the roster long term. CP3's 30m would be more helpful in acquiring a player they want than Isaac's 17m. They'd have to add other salaries to that just in case.

That's why I'd rather just get Isaac and Ingles. More flexibility. But if that's too much for Orlando, then I guess wer'e keeping CP3.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#26 » by killmongrel » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:07 pm

drywallmaster wrote:

Does nothing to help the Warriors try for the play-in. Paul is more useful to the Warriors than those players. I’d rather see if they can get Wendell Carter, salary filler for Paul, Moody and a couple seconds. If the Warriors can get players like Murray, Capela, Carter and maybe Kuzma and only lose players like Paul, Moody, Wiggins, Looney, Payton, Klay and maybe just one first round pick, then I’d consider that. Those teams could demand more depending on which players we’re talking about. Otherwise, I’d rather just let Klay and Paul walk in free agency and then figure it out in the offseason.

Yeah I agree that if we're dealing with Orlando then WCJ is the prize.

As for the last thing you said, we cannot let Paul walk in free agency. If we do and haven't made some kind of move involving GP2's/Looney's/Moody's/and possibly Kuminga's salaries, we really are done. We need his salary to make any significant move.
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#27 » by Nvnervous45 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:11 pm

Kuminga stays. The rest can lump it!
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#28 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:11 pm

Hawks was a back to bak. Good teams lose back to backs.

I think we are about to start winning 2 out of 3 games for the next month with point center Dray. Our small ball death unit starting line up has too much fire power. Klay and Wiggs are not going to suck on offense every game. Even Kuminga was effected by the back to back.

We might not need a trade.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#29 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:23 pm

killmongrel wrote:
drywallmaster wrote:

As for the last thing you said, we cannot let Paul walk in free agency. If we do and haven't made some kind of move involving GP2's/Looney's/Moody's/and possibly Kuminga's salaries, we really are done. We need his salary to make any significant move.

Again, it all depends on Orlando's thinking. If they are amenable to moving WCJ for CP3, I could see something being built around that but right now he's their cost-controlled starting center and I wouldn't want the Warriors piling in picks or players to get him if we could get Isaac who I think is an ideal backup center for us. He's a more versatile defender than WCJ with a slightly better rebound%.

I think assumptions that the Warriors wouldn't want to keep Isaac beyond next season are premature.

As for Harris, he's a rotation wing that could probably outplay Klay on day one. I could see him come in and start for us, particularly with the injuries to Wiggins and Moody.

I don't think we need to make a big outlay for one player. It would probably cost a lot for the names mentioned and if Orlando is willing to give us two vet rotation pieces for CP3 and nothing else, I would be happy with that.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#30 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:26 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Hawks was a back to bak. Good teams lose back to backs.

I think we are about to start winning 2 out of 3 games for the next month with point center Dray. Our small ball death unit starting line up has too much fire power. Klay and Wiggs are not going to suck on offense every game. Even Kuminga was effected by the back to back.

I think last night showed the Warriors shortcomings on the glass. We win that game if Capela and Okongwu weren't destroying us with offensive rebounds. We need someone that can share responsibilities with Loon on nights against big teams.
The hottest of takes...
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#31 » by killmongrel » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:30 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
drywallmaster wrote:Does nothing to help the Warriors try for the play-in. Paul is more useful to the Warriors than those players. I’d rather see if they can get Wendell Carter, salary filler for Paul, Moody and a couple seconds. If the Warriors can get players like Murray, Capela, Carter and maybe Kuzma and only lose players like Paul, Moody, Wiggins, Looney, Payton, Klay and maybe just one first round pick, then I’d consider that. Those teams could demand more depending on which players we’re talking about. Otherwise, I’d rather just let Klay and Paul walk in free agency and then figure it out in the offseason.

Again, it all depends on Orlando's thinking. If they are amenable to moving WCJ for CP3, I could see something being built around that but right now he's their cost-controlled starting center and I wouldn't want the Warriors piling in picks or players to get him if we could get Isaac who I think is an ideal backup center for us. He's a more versatile defender than WCJ with a slightly better rebound%.

I think assumptions that the Warriors wouldn't want to keep Isaac beyond next season are premature.

As for Harris, he's a rotation wing that could probably outplay Klay on day one. I could see him come in and start for us, particularly with the injuries to Wiggins and Moody.

I don't think we need to make a big outlay for one player. It would probably cost a lot for the names mentioned and if Orlando is willing to give us two vet rotation pieces for CP3 and nothing else, I would be happy with that.

If we can get Isaac/Ingles/Goga, that's the deal I would make. Gives us more flexibility in the off season. But if it's Isaac/Harris/Goga, then so be it. Going from CP3's 30m in the off season to Isaac's 17m does make it more difficult to make numbers work should they want to make a move in the summer for a player they want.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#32 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:37 pm

killmongrel wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

If we can get Isaac/Ingles/Goga, that's the deal I would make. Gives us more flexibility in the off season. But if it's Isaac/Harris/Goga, then so be it. Going from CP3's 30m in the off season to Isaac's 17m does make it more difficult to make numbers work should they want to make a move in the summer for a player they want.

Kuminga's extension will hopefully be a 5-year rookie Max so Lacob has that to look forward to. Additionally, I think we all hope Moody earns himself an extension of some sort.

So I don't know if we're going to be in the market to upgrade an expiring contract into another big money, long term deal.
The hottest of takes...
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#33 » by killmongrel » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:39 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Kuminga's extension will hopefully be a 5-year rookie Max so Lacob has that to look forward to. Additionally, I think we all hope Moody earns himself an extension of some sort.

So I don't know if we're going to be in the market to upgrade an expiring contract into another big money, long term deal.
It's not so much that it's dire, but we could regret not having that option.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,307

Post#34 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:01 pm

killmongrel wrote:I mean, Steph's insistence on keeping the core together is part of the problem. Klay is one of the biggest issues this season. If he were to go up to ownership and tell them that he will not stand in their way to do what is necessary to make the team competitive, they might make moves to field a better roster. He's not gonna all of a sudden be obsessed about the big 3 retiring together, but then do a 180 and jump ship on a situation he help create.

If he were to go up to ownership and tell them that he will not stand in their way to do what is needed necessary to make the team competitive

Exactly. Not going to happen. As if the team breaks up the core, it’s their fault. If they kept the core (like he wanted), but they lose, it’s still the team’s fault that they failed to surround them with winning pieces. Ya I can totally see these 3 dudes winning this season if surrounded by Giannis and Kawhi. So regardless, if they look like crap, it’s the team’s fault not his/theirs.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,184

Post#35 » by watch1958 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:05 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Hawks was a back to bak. Good teams lose back to backs.

I’d feel better if the Hawks hadn’t been on the second night of a back to back as well.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 461

Post#36 » by Romulus » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:10 am

I'm not buying they can't trade Klay because Steph has said no. Steph is not Lebron. Would he like it if they traded Klay? Probably not. But Curry would play on, with this team and this FO. That's who he is.

More likely, it just comes down to the FO hating the idea of being perceived as the bad guys and breaking up the dynasty. Think about the GM for the Bulls, Jerry Krause, and how much he was hated. All these years later, and his widowed wife is booed off the court in tears.

The problem though, is Klay's refusal to take a lesser role or to agree to a reduced contract. We've already heard stories of them just letting Klay's contract expire and hoping he would sign with someone else in the off-season. While not ideal, it seems to be the path the FO has chosen.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#37 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:40 am

Romulus wrote:I'm not buying they can't trade Klay because Steph has said no. Steph is not Lebron. Would he like it if they traded Klay? Probably not. But Curry would play on, with this team and this FO. That's who he is.

More likely, it just comes down to the FO hating the idea of being perceived as the bad guys and breaking up the dynasty. Think about the GM for the Bulls, Jerry Krause, and how much he was hated. All these years later, and his widowed wife is booed off the court in tears.

The problem though, is Klay's refusal to take a lesser role or to agree to a reduced contract. We've already heard stories of them just letting Klay's contract expire and hoping he would sign with someone else in the off-season. While not ideal, it seems to be the path the FO has chosen.

Don’t blame Klay for refusing to take a lessor role. His role is Kerr’s job.

In a video Draymond said you should not pass to Klay when Klay does not have a good shot because Klay will shoot. Dray was saying that he and the others passing to Klay are responsible for Klay’s shot selection because if you pass to Klay then Klay will take a shot even if he does not have a good shot.

When Klay is hot Klay can hit bad shots.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#38 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:51 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Romulus wrote:I'm not buying they can't trade Klay because Steph has said no. Steph is not Lebron. Would he like it if they traded Klay? Probably not. But Curry would play on, with this team and this FO. That's who he is.

In a video Draymond said you should not pass to Klay when Klay does not have a good shot because Klay will shoot. Dray was saying that he and the others passing to Klay are responsible for Klay’s shot selection because if you pass to Klay then Klay will take a shot even if he does not have a good shot.

I don't think there's any market for Klay. I think other teams would only view the Warriors trading him as a way for them to get off salary for this season.

What sort of contract has Klay earned this season? Not much of one and what team is going to be willing to spend $43 million this season to kick the tires?

Klay's not getting traded because we would have to include extra value just to get someone to take up their cap space with his deal.
The hottest of takes...
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#39 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:12 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

I don't think there's any market for Klay. I think other teams would only view the Warriors trading him as a way for them to get off salary for this season.

What sort of contract has Klay earned this season? Not much of one and what team is going to be willing to spend $43 million this season to kick the tires?

Klay's not getting traded because we would have to include extra value just to get someone to take up their cap space with his deal.

If Klay could shoot for the next month like he has done for the best 1/4 of his games then he would have some value but would still be overpaid.

Since Klay’s defense is substandard Klay needs to have fewer bad shooting games. Klay was always hot and cold but he needs to be hot more and cold less.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#40 » by thunderdunk » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:32 am

Unless someone is looking to shed $40M in salaries going forward, I don't see anybody trading for Klay this year. CP3 is injured and can be a good trade chip in the off season, but I doubt that happens now. Wiggs has started to play better, but what can MDJ get for him in the next 4 days that will move the needle on a title run? Timing is everything. Unless something (or things) amazing happens (like what the Lakers did a couple years ago), I think everybody is going to be deflated on 2/9.

I think Steph was just saying that you've got to play the hand you're dealt -- which is what winners in life do.

Return to Golden State Warriors