ImageImageImageImageImage

Kuminga Sounds Off

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,108

Re: Kuminga Sounds Off 

Post#81 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:04 pm

If you mean Kerr can't play Wiggins and Kuminga together because Klay takes one of those spots, that's because Klay plus either of those guys is much better than Wiggins and Kuminga together. Kerr has even said they have been terrible together.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,891

Post#82 » by eminence » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:05 pm

Could put Kuminga into an ATL TPE for draft capital and look to use that in a move elsewhere?
I bought a boat.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,384

Post#83 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:07 pm

eminence wrote:
That's generally how I see it for y'all.

Steph is still Steph (slightly lesser), but with Dray out there's just not really anybody else who should be playing clear starters minutes right now (Klay getting such big minutes is a hint of 'nepotism', but not more than you see on most any team). Lots of decent not great players though.

Consolidation move seems pretty reasonable.

The overall problem is of course the roster isn't good enough. There is no true #2 paired with Curry. And I agree that Curry and Dray are probably the two best players that we will build stuff around next season.

Now let's think to the next step -- next season, since nothing is happening this season. Are Klay Thompson and Chris Paul one of your main, big minutes guys in 2024-25? No, at least I really hope not. So why are they #2 and #3 in total minutes played? I get Draymond is out, but the solution is not more of the old guys who won't and can't be cornerstones of a team next year.

Klay and CP3 are good in around 20mpg doses. Playing them in 30m+ doses is bad for the team now and bad for the future. Moses Moody should not be DNP, Kuminga should not be 19mpg. In terms of developing assets, that doesn't make sense either.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#84 » by Onus » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:22 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
The Warriors were down 85-84 when they took Kuminga out of the game. To close the third quarter, the group that included Wiggins and didn’t include Kuminga helped build a 13-point lead that grew into an 18-point lead with six minutes left in the fourth.

Because Wiggins is coming off the bench for god knows what reason, if Kerr doesn't take him out of the game he would've played 18 min straight. This is madness. His rotations are all screwed up because of his catering to Klay's ego. If Klay comes off the bench it's hard to play him 30 min. Which is exactly where he should be under 30 min.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#85 » by Onus » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:22 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:If you mean Kerr can't play Wiggins and Kuminga together because Klay takes one of those spots, that's because Klay plus either of those guys is much better than Wiggins and Kuminga together. Kerr has even said they have been terrible together.

It's mostly because neither can shoot
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 771

Post#86 » by jaymo123 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 9:23 pm

I can't really blame Kuminga or any of the young guys. Kerr doesn't let them make the same mistakes the vets make. I solute Kuminga for saying something now so the team can make a move now rather than later.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,319

Post#87 » by Impuniti » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:12 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:I think Kerr would like to play Moody more, believes Moody deserves more time, but there are too many guys in his spot who bring more to the team right now.

Moody improved this season, only to find two new guys (Podz and CP3) leap him in the rotation. Plus GPII, when he's available...

But CP shouldn't lap in rotation. Moody should be played at SG, with CP on limited minutes as a backup PG with very rarely matching minutes with Steph. Unfortuantely Kerr has other, more brilliant ideas.

Meh this idea of shooting guards and point guards is outdated. Which is Steph? All these guys are interchangeable in their role on the court - some just do it better than others.

It's not outdated when Steph turns purely into an SG. Or that you have a midget lineup starting or playing together. CP3, Steph and Klay are all bad defenders right now, so the idea of putting them in the game together makes no sense.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#88 » by Impuniti » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:14 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:That's because there are not five guys who have differentiated themselves as head and shoulders above the rest. If you were playing better Kuminga, Kerr wouldn't be able to take you off the court.

Except Kerr has done exactly that. JK played very well last night and was benched, same thing with Moody during that 4th quarter vs OKC? or whoever it was.

I don't think he was playing that great. Was he guarding anyone?

He was attacking in the paint successfully which the Warriors didn't bother doing for 5 straight minutes in the 4th.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,243

Post#89 » by cpower » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:16 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Romulus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Give me Jalen Johnson. No take backs.

no we will get Dejounte Murray instead
cpower
RealGM

Post#90 » by cpower » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:21 pm

EvanZ wrote:Like Kuminga for Okongwu? That doesn't really move the needle.

Maybe Kuminga and CP3 for Dejounte and Okongwu....

Dejounte Murray + JJ for JK and Wiggins
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#91 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:26 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:But CP shouldn't lap in rotation. Moody should be played at SG, with CP on limited minutes as a backup PG with very rarely matching minutes with Steph. Unfortuantely Kerr has other, more brilliant ideas.

Meh this idea of shooting guards and point guards is outdated. Which is Steph? All these guys are interchangeable in their role on the court - some just do it better than others.

It's not outdated when Steph turns purely into an SG. Or that you have a midget lineup starting or playing together. CP3, Steph and Klay are all bad defenders right now, so the idea of putting them in the game together makes no sense.

The three-man combo of CP3, Steph, Klay has a net rating of +5.9 in 284 minutes of action. That's winning basketball.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,604

Post#92 » by HiRez » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:27 pm

cpower wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Give me Jalen Johnson. No take backs.

no we will get Dejounte Murray instead

Which means Moody will finally have space to get into the rotation! Wait, no it doesn't.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#93 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:28 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Except Kerr has done exactly that. JK played very well last night and was benched, same thing with Moody during that 4th quarter vs OKC? or whoever it was.

I don't think he was playing that great. Was he guarding anyone?

He was attacking in the paint successfully which the Warriors didn't bother doing for 5 straight minutes in the 4th.

If he was healthy, GPII would have been out there at crunch time. I definitely trust GPII more than Kuminga at that point of the game.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 862

Post#94 » by DevinVassell » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:35 pm

cpower wrote:

This is silly. Why the hell would Atlanta trade JJ for Jk??
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#95 » by Impuniti » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:35 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Meh this idea of shooting guards and point guards is outdated. Which is Steph? All these guys are interchangeable in their role on the court - some just do it better than others.

The three-man combo of CP3, Steph, Klay has a net rating of +5.9 in 284 minutes of action. That's winning basketball.

And yet that winning basketball has been losing games on a legendary level in the closing minutes. Maybe it's changed, but they are the biggest choke artists in the entire NBA in the 4th quarter.
cpower
RealGM

Post#96 » by cpower » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:36 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
cpower wrote:

This is silly. Why the hell would Atlanta trade JJ for Jk??

they wanted him lol, how about throw in a 1st and Moody
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#97 » by Impuniti » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:36 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:I don't think he was playing that great. Was he guarding anyone?

If he was healthy, GPII would have been out there at crunch time. I definitely trust GPII more than Kuminga at that point of the game.

GPII has nothing to do with this discussion. The point was Kerr being an idiot and shelving the guy who was abusing them near the rim and them being completely useless offensively exactly there for 5 straight minutes.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,604

Post#98 » by HiRez » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:37 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:I don't think he was playing that great. Was he guarding anyone?

Except for fouling Doncic 90 feet from the basket, Kuminga really has not been hurting them down the stretch in games for quite a long time now. GP2 is a great defender but the dude can't score and Kerr is trotting out lineups that are already challenged, especially since it's the end of the game and they're tired.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 461

Post#99 » by Romulus » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Not surprised by this, either. CP3 has been solid, a good player. But Kerr can't help himself, he's in love with small ball, and CP3 compromises the defense too much. Plus, Podz is his ideal replacement.

Look for Kuminga and CP3 in a package deal.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#100 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:55 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
Impuniti wrote:It's not outdated when Steph turns purely into an SG. Or that you have a midget lineup starting or playing together. CP3, Steph and Klay are all bad defenders right now, so the idea of putting them in the game together makes no sense.

And yet that winning basketball has been losing games on a legendary level in the closing minutes. Maybe it's changed, but they are the biggest choke artists in the entire NBA in the 4th quarter.

Yes they are. A big part of that I think is not having Draymond out there. Not having GPII. And core players not being at their same level as in the past, and so there is some identity crisis and inability to get it into another gear like they used to. And then failure breeds uncertainty, indecision, lack of confidence.

Return to Golden State Warriors