Re: Around the NBA 

Post#881 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24 am

Brandan Wright came to life.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Post#882 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 am

floppymoose wrote:Brandan Wright came to life.

We gave up on him too soon. I blame Keith Smart.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#883 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:01 pm

EvanZ wrote:

His body gave up on us long before we gave up on him.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#884 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Coxy wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

His body gave up on us long before we gave up on him.

Well, that's a nice cliche, for sure. Thing is, he already came back last season, and just didn't see the court. Why? He wasn't injured. He's not now.

But yeah, who needs good bigs when you have Gladness and Benson, right? :lol:

Good for him, though. Another big that we chose not to develop. They seem to know what they're doing in Dallas, so it's clearly a good move for his career.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#885 » by migya » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:

I blame Riley, Nelson (who would have influenced alot) and Mullin (though the guy tried hard to get things done fast) for trading JRich for that waste of a lottery pick!

AR, even Diogu, had great potential and performances in quite some games and very limited time for the team when they were here
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#886 » by marthafokker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I blame Mully. He really screwed this franchise back for a decade.

1. Signed Fisher
2. Gave Foyle his retirement package as a FA instead of letting him go to Orlando
3. Did not draft Granger to replace Dumpleavy
4. Extended Dumpleavy
5. Traded JRich for BWright. Rumor was Minny wanted Noah as part of the trade instead of BWright. Either way, Mully got the wrong player in the draft when Center was a much more concern.

The only 2 things he did close to correct as a GM was sign Nelly to stop the clock on the playoff drought for 1 year... and do the we believe trades.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#887 » by shazam_guy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Yeah, it's all Mullin's fault. Thank god he hired Nelson. That fixed everything.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#888 » by Mylie10 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 pm

migya wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I blame Riley, Nelson (who would have influenced alot) and Mullin (though the guy tried hard to get things done fast) for trading JRich for that waste of a lottery pick!

AR, even Diogu, had great potential and performances in quite some games and very limited time for the team when they were here

I blame them too, but now I'm ready to blame the new staff because they don't believe in playing big men either. I don't care what anyone says, McGuirre is not a big man.

They need to play Tyler more, and they needed to play Biedrins more. I'm worried that if we draft a couple big boys, that we still will be guard centris after Lee and Bogut.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#889 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Mylie, it's clearly part of the tanking strategy. :lol:

Unfortunately, the situation with Tyler will not get better, and you could see this problem coming a mile away. They simply refuse to develop young talent, unless they can come in and help right away. It's a chicken-and-egg thing. Sure, draft a guy like Klay or Udoh, and they are ready to contribute right away. But they are older rookies.

Draft a 19 or 20 year old with a high ceiling, and don't play him at all, because he won't help immediately. Only problem with that logic is that you don't get better by sitting on the bench (for several seasons). It wouldn't surprise me if they waive Tyler in the off-season (even after they carried on last year's draft about "developing" him). What do they think "development" is?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#890 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:Well, that's a nice cliche, for sure. Thing is, he already came back last season, and just didn't see the court. Why? He wasn't injured. He's not now.

But yeah, who needs good bigs when you have Gladness and Benson, right? :lol:

Good for him, though. Another big that we chose not to develop. They seem to know what they're doing in Dallas, so it's clearly a good move for his career.

Did you even go through the Brandon Wright years? He was absolute glass dude. Couldn't get on the court healthy for us for long periods, ever.

You can't call out the Warriors coaches for not developing BW years after he even took the court for us. He was as brittle as they come and when on court, was below average all the time. He has a couple of decent lines for Dallas and you act like your some genius that knew all along he'd get good someday. You never spent the years with his lazy eyes trying to get the best out of him when he wasn't wrapped in bandages.

He was crap in NJ as well.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#891 » by Mylie10 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:Mylie, it's clearly part of the tanking strategy. :lol:

Unfortunately, the situation with Tyler will not get better, and you could see this problem coming a mile away. They simply refuse to develop young talent, unless they can come in and help right away. It's a chicken-and-egg thing. Sure, draft a guy like Klay or Udoh, and they are ready to contribute right away. But they are older rookies.

Draft a 19 or 20 year old with a high ceiling, and don't play him at all, because he won't help immediately. Only problem with that logic is that you don't get better by sitting on the bench (for several seasons). It wouldn't surprise me if they waive Tyler in the off-season (even after they carried on last year's draft about "developing" him). What do they think "development" is?

They might just waive him based on money....I could totally see that. And then they'll say all this crap about him not developing and might throw out a red herrring that he's a problem child behind the scenes.

This team has never fully grasped the idea of trying to win with all the young guys. It does 2 things......It developes them by allowing them to get their mistakes out in real games and not practice. It also allows them to gain confidence. If they don't gain confidence, then you know you don't want to keep that player.

It also allows the team to lose in a respectable way, because they're playing young guys who make critical mistakes at the wrong time, like last night. Last night was the perfect scenario of what I'm talking about....let young guys play long minutes, coach them up during the game, and then they lose it for you, but learn. If they don't learn, you dump them.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#892 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Coxy wrote:Did you even go through the Brandon Wright years? He was absolute glass dude. Couldn't get on the court healthy for us for long periods, ever.

Yeah, I could even spell his name correctly and everything. :roll:

As far as his impact on the floor, it was positive every time I ever saw him play. The stats I did a while back on the 2008-09 season backed that up:

http://thecity2.com/2011/01/16/lets-go- ... -warriors/
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#893 » by marthafokker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm

That is why the GM needs to do his job. It is either a full rebuild or run for the playoff. Make sure the Head Coach cannot screw up team's development plan by building his OWN future instead of the franchise's future. That is why if the Bogut thing does not work out, NOH will be WAY better rebuild than GSW can ever recover.

Unfortunately, that solution usually means firing the coach, because he will rather play midget ball to try to build his resume.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
facerizon
Junior
And1: 30

Post#894 » by facerizon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Not that my 2 cents really matter, but I agree with Evan here... not that Wright has been that great of a success with the Mavs, but more that he was a positive when here that wasn't properly developed. I clearly remember one game early in his career when he finally got a start, put up 17 and 10 or something. Nelly promptly gave him some DNP-CD love not long after.

Calling up Tyler or drafting young/promising talent only works when you're committed to developing them. Living with their mistakes and going through their growing pains. We haven't done that with great proficiency, especially with any of our bigs.

The most infuriating ever was watching Captian Jack make bone-headed play after bone-headed play only to "earn" 40 minutes a night, while Wright/AR would commit one TO or miss a defensive assignment and not see the court for the rest of the night.

The worst thing about Coach Jackass though is that he claims he wants us to be defensive minded and oriented towards toughness. Well, he's either an idiot or a hypocrite b/c not once has he decided to go at length with any sort of imposing, gritty, defensive, rebounding lineup. We always have a PF playing C, a SF playing PF, etc. More to his stupidity is that he goes even smaller when it matters, in the second half and almost the entirety of every 4th quarter. So as long as he's still running the team, any young big here will most likely be stunted.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#895 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 pm

facerizon wrote:The worst thing about Coach Jackass though is that he claims he wants us to be defensive minded and oriented towards toughness. Well, he's either an idiot or a hypocrite b/c not once has he decided to go at length with any sort of imposing, gritty, defensive, rebounding lineup. We always have a PF playing C, a SF playing PF, etc. More to his stupidity is that he goes even smaller when it matters, in the second half and almost the entirety of every 4th quarter.

I do remember a few times Tyler and Udoh played together, and it was really productive. And then...nothing. Jacko never went back to it. That second unit was Nate, Klay, Rush, Dom, and Udoh. And Tyler (and CJ!) was left on the outside looking in. Now, that second unit actually worked well, but in the scheme of things, Jenkins and Tyler should have got more run with those guys.

CJ
Klay
Rush
Udoh
Tyler

This would have given Udoh more time to develop his skills at PF and Tyler at C. And as much as Jacko likes McGuire, I don't see him being here long term, so we are wasting some minutes there not developing Tyler.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#896 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Wright always had talent and potential, he was also always injury prone and din't seem to be a huge fan of basketball in the first place. Good for him that he found his niche in Dallas.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,819

Post#897 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Coxy wrote:Did you even go through the Brandon Wright years? He was absolute glass dude. Couldn't get on the court healthy for us for long periods, ever.

Yeah, I could even spell his name correctly and everything. :roll:

As far as his impact on the floor, it was positive every time I ever saw him play. The stats I did a while back on the 2008-09 season backed that up:

http://thecity2.com/2011/01/16/lets-go- ... -warriors/

Not surprised where Marcus Williams ended up on that list. :lol:
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,085

Post#898 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:52 pm

One far outlier game where X-Box gets 7 blocks and now the Warriors gave up on him too soon? lol.

Nobody "developed" Brandan Wright, he's just had a little bit of health, no expectations, no big minutes (he played more under Nellie than under any other coach, including Rick Carlisle), no big salary.

He makes the vet minimum for Dallas and would have been making millions for the Warriors under the Qualifying Offer for the eighth overall pick. Of course it was time for GS to cut that cord, and there's any number of tall spindly dudes you can bring in to give you whatever he is able to give Dallas in his 14.3 minutes per game off the bench.

Same with Jeremy Tyler - so far in his career he has only proven that he's got some issues. Warriors took a leap by bringing him on board, let him prove himself and earn the minutes he gets. Don't put him out there just because we are looking for big men; that will only reinforce the silver platter attitude that comes with being a teenage star without the results to back it up.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,085

Post#899 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Brandan Wright started 23 games as a Warriors sophomore, playing 17.6 mpg. That's more than he got anywhere else. How is it that the Warriors did not develop him but Dallas did?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#900 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:One far outlier game where X-Box gets 7 blocks and now the Warriors gave up on him too soon? lol.

It's not just one game. That post I linked to was written over a year ago. If you had read my comments on GSoM, you'd see I complained quite often about his lack of playing time over the past couple of seasons. It's only now that we're finally seeing that he can be productive in a system that actually seems to value players quite properly.

He makes the vet minimum for Dallas and would have been making millions for the Warriors under the Qualifying Offer for the eighth overall pick. Of course it was time for GS to cut that cord, and there's any number of tall spindly dudes you can bring in to give you whatever he is able to give Dallas in his 14.3 minutes per game off the bench.

How much would that qualifying offer have been? $4M? I would have done it. We're still chasing down big men left and right.

Same with Jeremy Tyler - so far in his career he has only proven that he's got some issues. Warriors took a leap by bringing him on board, let him prove himself and earn the minutes he gets. Don't put him out there just because we are looking for big men; that will only reinforce the silver platter attitude that comes with being a teenage star without the results to back it up.

Nope, I've never bought that argument. 20 years olds need to fail before they can succeed. You need to give them enough playing time to see what they can do. Not a few minutes here and there and expect them to be a superstar in 3 minutes a game.

Look at Klay Thompson. He was awful in the beginning of the season. By your way of thinking, he'd still be on the bench. But for some reason, Jackson let him play through it. Tyler needs minutes. Now is the time. If he can't produce after a couple seasons getting significant minutes, then let him go. At least we would have tried.

Return to Golden State Warriors