[MERGED] Klay Thompson

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: [MERGED] Klay Thompson 

Post#1041 » by turk3d » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:12 pm

old rem wrote:
MadMorf wrote:I thought of klay as a 3 and d guy but he's really upped his game so far.

One part of Kerr as coach often mentioned is his link to Phil Jackson...with aspects of "Triangle". Note...under Phil... SG's Jordan + Bryant were big scoring SG's.. so far...and it's early..Klay is shooting often and well. In the first 3 games he's about 30ppg......about 12 per up from last year. He looks more mature,is playing a more complete game...is clutch. Don't make too much off a few early games but the trend is pretty good. Lee has been hurt. Barnes + Iggy are both looking to add some offense..with mixed results. The Splash brothers have dominated the offense and Klay in particular stepped up.

This time last year....nobody was tagging Klay as "All Star" and now that's already the case. While Love is doing fine...I see more people saying.. no..GSW should not have done Lee + Klay for Love.

Taking into consideration what we would have had to give up in order to make the deal work, I think I can safely say that we wouldn't have been as good as it looks like we are, had a deal been made. Besides losing next years pick which could come in handy, we would have had KMart as our likely starting 2 guard in addition to JJ Barea, not to mention a weaker bench with Iggy back in a starting role and who knows what else we would have had to give the TWolves in order to get Flipper/Taylor to send us Love.

Of course no one in their right minds (outside of maybe West) could have thought that Klay would have been so good and evolved so fast. But it looks like he's the real deal.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#1042 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:37 pm

How long will Klay Thompson lead the NBA in scoring?

Over/Under: 2.5 more games
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#1043 » by turk3d » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:51 pm

Could be for a few more games before Lee gets back into the swing of things. As it stands, he appears to be carrying the load for us, that and while Steph is still trying to get untracked (although he's 8th in scoring at the moment @25.3).

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... asontype/2

What's pretty impressive to me is in comparison to Harden (who's shooting just 36.7 % on fg, and 35.3% on 3s) Klay is shooting 53.7% on fg and 45.5% on 3s. Not to mention his 91.3% clip from the charity line.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#1044 » by DynastySS » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:05 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:
Xplatformer wrote:
GSWhoopfan wrote:Dear Klay....deuces. Not even a bottom feeder would facilitate a sign and trade for him at a max deal. Nobody wants an 8M a season player on a max deal for 4--5 years. I don't even think a Chinese team wants to pay him a max deal. Klay wanting/requesting/believing or attempting to justify he's worth a max deal is a waste of time for all parties.

There's no rest loss if Klay is unhappy. He's not that big of a difference maker. Steph will get over it.

Well. I know it's early in the season, and Klay very well may never play better than he did last night, but do you still think Klay is an 8 million a year player in the current NBA player market?

I happen to think Wes Matthews is a $12 million per player, and I'm one of those that think Klay is a better version of Wes.

I don't think Klay is or will ever be a superstar (like Steph) but I think he's worth way more than 8 million per.

I don't think highly of anyone of the team not named Bogut or Curry. They are the keys to everything we do this season. The other guys are products of the them. Iguodala on the bench is a more important piece than Klay. Klay is a real good player but playing alongside Steph does overvalue him. Still a limited player. He's a plus but the shooting guard position sucks. I still don't think he's a game changer. A max player should be able to carry the team on their shoulders...I don't think he's capable of that at all.

I have to respect the consistency. Klay has proving you wrong and yet you stick to your guns. Sort of reminds me a religious or environmental debate. Despite the mounting evidence that your position is illogical, you pivot and search for new things to defend on.

Good luck with this season!
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Re: R: [MERGED] Klay Thompson 

Post#1045 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:06 pm

turk3d wrote:Could be for a few more games before Lee gets back into the swing of things. As it stands, he appears to be carrying the load for us, that and while Steph is still trying to get untracked (although he's 8th in scoring at the moment @25.3).

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... asontype/2

What's pretty impressive to me is in comparison to Harden (who's shooting just 36.7 % on fg, and 35.3% on 3s) Klay is shooting 53.7% on fg and 45.5% on 3s. Not to mention his 91.3% clip from the charity line.

Yes, fg% is the most impressive thing, considering he's a guard.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1046 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:00 pm

old rem wrote:
MadMorf wrote:I thought of klay as a 3 and d guy but he's really upped his game so far.

One part of Kerr as coach often mentioned is his link to Phil Jackson...with aspects of "Triangle". Note...under Phil... SG's Jordan + Bryant were big scoring SG's.. so far...and it's early..Klay is shooting often and well. In the first 3 games he's about 30ppg......about 12 per up from last year. He looks more mature,is playing a more complete game...is clutch. Don't make too much off a few early games but the trend is pretty good. Lee has been hurt. Barnes + Iggy are both looking to add some offense..with mixed results. The Splash brothers have dominated the offense and Klay in particular stepped up.

This time last year....nobody was tagging Klay as "All Star" and now that's already the case. While Love is doing fine...I see more people saying.. no..GSW should not have done Lee + Klay for Love.

We had a discussion last year early on where I said "who's better than Klay at sg right now?" He started the year on fire....Curry even mentioned that after the game last night. I was lambasted with the Harden love (rightfully so) but I was merely pointing out that at that time i said it, Klay was playing awesome. Then as the season progressed he fell into a shooting slump.....which prompted another big discussion about klay taking the ball to the hoop and driving more. Not shooting it like a hot potato. We now know the history behind that.

Just wanted to point out that klay was on fire early last year, but it wasn't the same as what he's showing now, with the diversity in his game. He will have some shooting slumps as all good shooters have, but now that he can drive and get to the line, it should minimize a prolonged slump.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

[MERGED] Klay Thompson 

Post#1047 » by TaylorMonkey » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
old rem wrote:

We had a discussion last year early on where I said "who's better than Klay at sg right now?" He started the year on fire....Curry even mentioned that after the game last night. I was lambasted with the Harden love (rightfully so) but I was merely pointing out that at that time i said it, Klay was playing awesome. Then as the season progressed he fell into a shooting slump.....which prompted another big discussion about klay taking the ball to the hoop and driving more. Not shooting it like a hot potato. We now know the history behind that.

Just wanted to point out that klay was on fire early last year, but it wasn't the same as what he's showing now, with the diversity in his game. He will have some shooting slumps as all good shooters have, but now that he can drive and get to the line, it should minimize a prolonged slump.

Yes, Klay was lights out early last season, but he's really changed his approach to the game after his slump, and I'm seeing it continue. He's learning that he has the tools and length to seal off defenders and get his shot off inside with a soft touch.

This is going to minimize his slumps not just by being able to contribute when his shot is off but also to stay in rhythm and in opening his game up by taking advantage of however the defense cheats.

It's kind of hilarious some argued that Klay doesn't drive or get to the line because he can't, and that the lack of attempts were somehow proof of his lack of ability. Then he started doing it and hasn't stopped since.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1048 » by FNQ » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:24 pm

To be fair, it is brand new. Even at WSU, he only made those types of plays once in a while, so you just never saw him making the leap to doing it, well, at the NBA level.

But having watched him for a couple years kill my Bears, nothing surprises me anymore. He looked to be nothing more than a good shooter with an NBA pedigree, and we had a guy like that before... except this guy didnt make excuses, he just went and became better year after year, and now is arguably the top SG in the league. Hard to say for sure after just 3 games, but if he keeps this up, Harden is in the rear-view, and no one is ahead.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#1049 » by Onus » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:30 pm

Klay is going to lead this team in scoring this year.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
turk3d
RealGM

Post#1050 » by turk3d » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:18 pm

Onus wrote:Klay is going to lead this team in scoring this year.

If he keeps playing the way he has so far, he probably will. Besides being called the "Splash Brothers backcourt" they could also be called the "Pick Your Poison backcourt", lol.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#1051 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:37 pm

I think we are going to see Klay grow even more. He is oozing with confidence and that goes a long way in the mental aspect of the game. The game has slowed down so much for him that he doesn't have to think and , he is making great decisions. During a run last night by Portland, he killed their momentum by taking the ball strong to the hole and getting fouled. That play was better than a timeout and in the past, we would have seen him fire off a 3 pointer that if missed just adds to the other team's run.

I also love his play after the extension, where I have seen the majority of players go through a period of struggling on the court. Maybe putting too much internal pressure on themselves. With Klay, it is like a huge relief and he has been set free.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#1052 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Nov 3, 2014 7:23 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:
Xplatformer wrote:
GSWhoopfan wrote:Dear Klay....deuces. Not even a bottom feeder would facilitate a sign and trade for him at a max deal. Nobody wants an 8M a season player on a max deal for 4--5 years. I don't even think a Chinese team wants to pay him a max deal. Klay wanting/requesting/believing or attempting to justify he's worth a max deal is a waste of time for all parties.

There's no rest loss if Klay is unhappy. He's not that big of a difference maker. Steph will get over it.

Well. I know it's early in the season, and Klay very well may never play better than he did last night, but do you still think Klay is an 8 million a year player in the current NBA player market?

I happen to think Wes Matthews is a $12 million per player, and I'm one of those that think Klay is a better version of Wes.

I don't think Klay is or will ever be a superstar (like Steph) but I think he's worth way more than 8 million per.

I don't think highly of anyone of the team not named Bogut or Curry. They are the keys to everything we do this season. The other guys are products of the them. Iguodala on the bench is a more important piece than Klay. Klay is a real good player but playing alongside Steph does overvalue him. Still a limited player. He's a plus but the shooting guard position sucks. I still don't think he's a game changer. A max player should be able to carry the team on their shoulders...I don't think he's capable of that at all.

Just three games in, but so far Klay has been the Warriors best player.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#1053 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Nov 3, 2014 8:00 pm

Klay currently leads the league in scoring
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#1054 » by JimmyTD3 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 8:01 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:Klay currently leads the league in scoring

Beat me to it.

GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#1055 » by GSWhoopfan » Mon Nov 3, 2014 9:13 pm

DynastySS wrote:
GSWhoopfan wrote:
Xplatformer wrote:

I have to respect the consistency. Klay has proving you wrong and yet you stick to your guns. Sort of reminds me a religious or environmental debate. Despite the mounting evidence that your position is illogical, you pivot and search for new things to defend on.

He's been the best player so far and it's not even close. He's improving. I don't what him to not succeed, I want him to maximize his potential. I want him to succeed. But I don't see him as anything other than a role player on this team. There's 2 key pieces and 13 role players (15 players on roster right?). He's a good role player and it's not a knock on him to be a role player. Once teams start adjusting to him let's see how he reacts. He's done things I didn't think was capable (dribble) but dribbling through traffic is still an issue. Curry on the other hand makes everyone better. Bogut and Iguodala the same. Klay, Lee, Barnes make themselves better.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#1056 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Nov 3, 2014 9:59 pm

Yeah, Klay's a role player - his role is to dominate on both ends of the loor :lol:
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#1057 » by californiadude » Mon Nov 3, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm sure this has been said but I'm too lazy to look but...Klay looks like a completely different player to me. The early layup against the blazers last night (i think it was the 13th point of the ball game) really stands out to me. Last year he would of slowed up or put up some ridiculous layup and gotten blocked. Instead he maneuvered around traffic and put up a sweet finger roll. He's finally using his length to his advantage and playing above the rim. He used to finish like point guard (which he frankly didn't have the body control and just wasn't capable of doing) where as now he's taking the ball to the hoop like a swingman. Needless to say if he keeps this up and Barnes continues to hustle and NOT play sluggish...We're legit title contenders.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#1058 » by Onus » Mon Nov 3, 2014 11:56 pm

GSWhoopfan wrote:
DynastySS wrote:
GSWhoopfan wrote:

He's been the best player so far and it's not even close. He's improving. I don't what him to not succeed, I want him to maximize his potential. I want him to succeed. But I don't see him as anything other than a role player on this team. There's 2 key pieces and 13 role players (15 players on roster right?). He's a good role player and it's not a knock on him to be a role player. Once teams start adjusting to him let's see how he reacts. He's done things I didn't think was capable (dribble) but dribbling through traffic is still an issue. Curry on the other hand makes everyone better. Bogut and Iguodala the same. Klay, Lee, Barnes make themselves better.

I think you'll start to see Klay make his teammates better probably at the end of the year and it'll be a noticeable difference next year. Really I have no basis for saying that other than he's added something to his game every single year and that would be the next logical step in his progression, after becoming a legit scoring threat this year.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1059 » by FNQ » Tue Nov 4, 2014 12:34 am

BROWN wrote:
Mostly to talk to you and a few of my other old buds on this board. Turk, Mylie etc etc..

Loving the aggressive Klay.

Also just to spruce up old conversations, remember the time Eric Gordon was supposed to be the next SG in line, it got me thinking, after his ugly line last night.. That wow some ppl wanted him over Ellis and Thompson, during that entire summer fiasco.

Sent from my A0001 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Its unfortunate what a few injuries can do.. it looks like he won't ever recover. Shame, I still think early Gordon played a lot like Rock Richmond. Now he's just a shell.. we're awful fortunate re: Curry/Bogut/Ezeli
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#1060 » by floppymoose » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:09 pm

The Pelicans could have had Dragic instead of Gordon if Stern hadn't vetoed the trade. Then who knows, maybe they keep Noel then instead of trading that pick for Holiday.

Davis/Noel/Dragic. :o

Return to Golden State Warriors