ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Free Agent Talk 

Post#1 » by turk3d » Wed May 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Who says we aren't going to have any options in Free Agency coming up?

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -76089686/
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Re: FA Thread 

Post#2 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed May 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah, I think 2014 is where the Warriors are looking forward to and I think that makes a ton of sense.
Baby Face Curry
Senior
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Baby Face Curry » Wed May 29, 2013 6:41 pm

A lot of players but only 4-5 that make us better by then
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#4 » by turk3d » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Baby Face Curry wrote:A lot of players but only 4-5 that make us better by then

Probably only need 1 more depending on how Bogut does.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#5 » by MightyReds2020 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Yeah, I think 2014 is where the Warriors are looking forward to and I think that makes a ton of sense.

I am guessing that was the original plan: Acquisitions of Bogut, Jack's & Landry's short-term deals all were pointing to summer of 2014.

But with the run the team just had, the Warriors now have to make a decision whether to forego this plan (likely) and resign either of or both Jack & Landry or sticking with it (unlikely) by letting both Jack & Landry go and find other 1-year rentals.

Will be interesting.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#6 » by Onus » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Pretty much all the names he states have to either opt out of their current situation or are restricted FAs. I mean you really want to bank on Lebron ending superfriends, or melo leaving nyc? Or teams really won't re-up their young guns letting them leave on their 2nd contract, so not even cap-threatening max deals? I guess there's a possibility, but unlikely especially on the restricted FA, as seen in NO as Gordon got the max and was matched.

That and it's written for the Lakers who have a history of poaching FA. While the Warriors have a history of overpaying for talent.

Unless Curry has some "wink wink" deal with lebron, we'd be better off going all in for Dwight this summer than hoping Lebron ends superfriends, and he chooses us instead of the lakers. I'm sure the lakers are banking on Lebron, Dwight/pau, Nash + fillers.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#7 » by whocurrz » Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 am

We should look to use 2014 offseason to get a backup C and backup SF who can play spot minutes as starters if needed. I think Biedrins and Richard Jefferson will be available and cheap...
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Steph 4 3
Junior
And1: 23

Post#8 » by Steph 4 3 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:05 pm

whocurrz wrote:We should look to use 2014 offseason to get a backup C and backup SF who can play spot minutes as starters if needed. I think Biedrins and Richard Jefferson will be available and cheap...

No better time than now:

Cleveland's Varejao is an upgrade over Beans and Cleveland would save a year of his salary. (2 years @ $9). With the #1 draft pick (Noel?) the Cavs have the ability to move him without hurting their roster. cavs have many reasons to move him including increased playing time for other Cavs bigs.

Meyers can also target the draft for a big with the physical skills (hands, rebounds, passing to perimeter) and potential to be an upgrade over shot blocker Ezeli. I like Dieng

Meyers said he will go over the cap a little if it means putting a winner on the floor. Re-signing JJack & Landry is great bang for the buck, maybe $12 mil combined.

These moves extend the "playoffs roster" another 2-3 years, The expirings of Bogut, RJeff, & Rush can be dealt with at the end of the season by re-signing or using that $27 mil on free agents.

We cross the cap by maybe $5 mil this year but can amortise that over next season's expired contracts.

(I know this is redundant to the topic I posted but that was locked last night and I suspect will be removed soon).
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#9 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jun 1, 2013 12:07 am

All the warriors need are min guys like KMart and Robinson to provide offensive spark and defensive toughness 10 -15 minutes a game. Rush and Draymond should be getting the Jack,Landry minutes.
Steph 4 3
Junior
And1: 23

Post#10 » by Steph 4 3 » Sat Jun 1, 2013 3:28 am

Warriorfan wrote:All the warriors need are min guys like KMart and Robinson to provide offensive spark and defensive toughness 10 -15 minutes a game. Rush and Draymond should be getting the Jack,Landry minutes.

KMart played in half as many games as Bogut and will be 36, ...that is enough to make me stay away.
Nate is close to Jack stats-wise but for size & game I'd re-sign Jack.
Having Beans or Varejao? ...really, what is there to know that we don't already know?

BTW, Re salaries: Beans + KMart combined costs are more than just Varejao's.
...and Varejao has 2 years compared to their 1. With BeansKMart savings from expirings we will be forced to bid up & outbid other teams for available free agent talent. GSW would be wiser to get to that place where we do not need to outbid teams like LAL just to be competitive. SAS does it, we would be wise to mimic their model of being pro-active in talent acquisition. Leave the bidding wars to others. (A good thing)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#11 » by HiRez » Sat Jun 1, 2013 9:20 pm

Onus wrote:Unless Curry has some "wink wink" deal with lebron, we'd be better off going all in for Dwight this summer than hoping Lebron ends superfriends, and he chooses us instead of the lakers. I'm sure the lakers are banking on Lebron, Dwight/pau, Nash + fillers.

Yeah, and the best way of enticing LeBron is probably...having D12 on the team. I mean Curry, Howard, and LeBron is a sick core, you really don't need a lot of super-skilled supporting cast there, just some good roleplayers. Or if they can't get LeBron, they would still have a really good team, depending on what the price of D12 is, of course. If we get into a bidding war with Houston, we may lose that, or give away too much.
theogeo7
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#12 » by theogeo7 » Sat Jun 1, 2013 9:38 pm

HiRez wrote:
Onus wrote:Unless Curry has some "wink wink" deal with lebron, we'd be better off going all in for Dwight this summer than hoping Lebron ends superfriends, and he chooses us instead of the lakers. I'm sure the lakers are banking on Lebron, Dwight/pau, Nash + fillers.

Yeah, and the best way of enticing LeBron is probably...having D12 on the team. I mean Curry, Howard, and LeBron is a sick core, you really don't need a lot of super-skilled supporting cast there, just some good roleplayers. Or if they can't get LeBron, they would still have a really good team, depending on what the price of D12 is, of course. If we get into a bidding war with Houston, we may lose that, or give away too much.

D12 will get the MAX anyway i think.

we aren't going to a bidding war w/ Houston because they want him as a FA and we can only get him with S&T from LAL.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: Free Agent Talk: whattup, 2014? 

Post#13 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 2, 2013 11:40 pm

I'd let Jack and Landry walk..both have been overrated backups for years
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#14 » by FNQ » Mon Jun 3, 2013 12:04 am

turk3d wrote:Who says we aren't going to have any options in Free Agency coming up?

A: anyone who reads that list you just posted

Only big if LeBron opts out, and he's the only one really worth pursuing. Other PF/C candidates? KG, Dirk, Pau. Then there's Bogut of course. All 4 could retire. And since we hypothetically wouldnt be trading to move any of our core 3, we'd be in the market for C's mainly.
dr_peb
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#15 » by dr_peb » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:07 am

FireNellieQuick wrote:
turk3d wrote:Who says we aren't going to have any options in Free Agency coming up?

A: anyone who reads that list you just posted

Only big if LeBron opts out, and he's the only one really worth pursuing. Other PF/C candidates? KG, Dirk, Pau. Then there's Bogut of course. All 4 could retire. And since we hypothetically wouldnt be trading to move any of our core 3, we'd be in the market for C's mainly.

Have to agree with this. There are a lot of good players. But many of them will retire or won't opt out.

LeBron, Bosh, Pau might be the only available all-star level front court players. Gortat and Bogut will probably be the best centers. You might be able to add KG and Dirk to those lists but they'll be 38 and 36 come opening day in 2014. And a lot of people think they'll retire with their current teams.

Let's say you keep the current core together. Which of the FAs in the article can be added to a Curry-Klay-Barnes-Lee core to win a title?

(edit) Maybe LBJ and even that lineup doesn't really make sense. If you want to add any of the 3 best frontline players (LBJ, Bosh, or Pau), trading Lee for some size and defense, and maybe cap savings, is the right move.

This team won't win a title by just adding a FA to what it has now, it needs to make other moves.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#16 » by Little Digger » Mon Jun 3, 2013 6:47 am

all this team needs is health and a big depth upgrade in 2014..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#17 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Jun 3, 2013 12:43 pm

Onus wrote:Pretty much all the names he states have to either opt out of their current situation or are restricted FAs. I mean you really want to bank on Lebron ending superfriends, or melo leaving nyc? Or teams really won't re-up their young guns letting them leave on their 2nd contract, so not even cap-threatening max deals? I guess there's a possibility, but unlikely especially on the restricted FA, as seen in NO as Gordon got the max and was matched.

That and it's written for the Lakers who have a history of poaching FA. While the Warriors have a history of overpaying for talent.

Unless Curry has some "wink wink" deal with lebron, we'd be better off going all in for Dwight this summer than hoping Lebron ends superfriends, and he chooses us instead of the lakers. I'm sure the lakers are banking on Lebron, Dwight/pau, Nash + fillers.

Yeah you need to pursue Howard this off season and not rely on the unknown of next year's free agent class.

While historically the Warriors have had to overpay their free agents, I do believe the tide has changed and the Warriors are going to attract free agents.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#18 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Jun 4, 2013 11:13 pm

Little Digger wrote:all this team needs is health and a big depth upgrade in 2014..

I agree with this take.

Consider this, Klay and Barnes will both be top level NBA players by next summer. Ezeli and Green are going to be better...

Honestly, given health, I can't see an upgrade for any of the starters. Maybe a slight upgrade at PF with Love over Lee.... It really makes for a boring off season lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
GSForever
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#19 » by GSForever » Tue Jun 4, 2013 11:21 pm

A team can quickly be forgotten in one season. They need to have a better season and continue further in the playoffs ifthey want to attract Bosh or LeBron
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#20 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Jun 5, 2013 8:04 pm

I would love to see the Warriors Cole Aldrich, Al-Farouq Aminu, Xavier Henry, Luke Babbitt, and/or Wesley Johnson a chance. Low risk high reward. These guys have the tools to be NBA players, it would be interesting to see if they could fit.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors