ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Mark Jackson or this team's going nowhere.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

tasball
Senior
And1: 57

Re: Fire Mark Jackson or this team's going nowhere. 

Post#61 » by tasball » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:54 am

Jacko is definitely a players coach (that has been a positive thing for the Warriors players) that can reach a use-by-date with a side developing into a contender(?), unless he develops his coaching with them, or he gets\has good technical assistants.

I would have thought that he at least deserves the rest of the season, especially given he has had no depth at C or the point to utilise.

Maybe at the end of this season if the results fall short, all coaches and players may have to become more accountable and responsible after the bullish success of 12/13.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#62 » by HiRez » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I think you're all a bunch of pussies.

The team just went on a 10 game win streak and now they are struggling against some of the top teams in the league. That's to be expected.

No, not just top teams. They lost to Brooklyn (without their 2 best players) and Denver, at home. And beat Boston, but only barely. Beat New Orleans, but without Holiday they are horrible. Those are not "top" teams. In short they are struggling against almost every team right now.

I do agree with your basic premise that we need to keep the big picture in perspective. It's a long season and they're not a veteran machine like the Spurs. They're going to go through some highs and lows, and some iffy stretches.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#63 » by syntax » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Mylie10 wrote:He was one of the best post up guards in the NBA and he lived it, so he believes it. He played with Patrick Ewing, who was a post up God. In Indiana they found ways to get Reggie Miller open looks much like they do for Steph and klay at times, but there isn't anyone else on the team right now who can get Steph the ball in catch and shoot opportunites enough. That has to change.

How do you explain never posting up Bogut? The biggest guy on the court who can shoot a hook with either hand, was good enough in the post in the past to draw double teams and is an excellent passer?
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#64 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:57 pm

syntax wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:He was one of the best post up guards in the NBA and he lived it, so he believes it. He played with Patrick Ewing, who was a post up God. In Indiana they found ways to get Reggie Miller open looks much like they do for Steph and klay at times, but there isn't anyone else on the team right now who can get Steph the ball in catch and shoot opportunites enough. That has to change.

How do you explain never posting up Bogut? The biggest guy on the court who can shoot a hook with either hand, was good enough in the post in the past to draw double teams and is an excellent passer?

+1

We are missing the boat on running more offense through Bogut. He is an excellent passer who can give us a legitimate inside>out strategy when dribble penetration or high screens aren't getting it done.

That said, we are scoring a gazillion points a game, we just happen to be giving up a gazillion and a half. The defense needs fixing more than the offense ... which again points to more Bogut.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#65 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 pm

I agree with running some stuff through Bpgut.

Jackson doesn't view Bogut as a post up player in the true sense of the word. He can post up and do some nice things, but is Bogut really a post guy that can regularly score in the post? Maybe pre-elbow injury, but not sure about that now.
Khoee wrote ā€œ
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ā€
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#66 » by Left*My*Heart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm

One glaring hole in the Bogut post up is his free throw shooting. Granted he can get the opposing team's center in foul trouble, but I would simple foul him. A couple of teams have implemented hack a Bogut, which forced him off the court.

I do think he needs to see the ball more in the post, but again, I don't think he should be the focal point of the offense.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#67 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm

When Curry is being dogged hard (or resting) Bogut should get touches. Not ISOs ... touches. He should get the ball lower than a high screen position to that he can make the defense react and then pass out of it. He is an incredibly skilled passer. There's no reason not to have the ball moving when Curry can't just take guys off pick and roll to create.
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#68 » by GSWhoopfan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:One glaring hole in the Bogut post up is his free throw shooting. Granted he can get the opposing team's center in foul trouble, but I would simple foul him. A couple of teams have implemented hack a Bogut, which forced him off the court.

I do think he needs to see the ball more in the post, but again, I don't think he should be the focal point of the offense.

One glaring hole is that he's only good when he's within 3-4 feet of the rim. His offensive game outside of that range is unreliable. We need to set him up with more lobs and more point blank shots. He's in position for those, just not sure that's in our game plan.

I want to see us play 48 minutes of good basketball for a week. Build that consistency. I think we have overachieved in winning games purely based on talent. I think this team is capable of much more but talent can only get so far (unless you got aw lebron where it's like coaching really doesn't matter).
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#69 » by Jester_ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
syntax wrote:

+1

We are missing the boat on running more offense through Bogut. He is an excellent passer who can give us a legitimate inside>out strategy when dribble penetration or high screens aren't getting it done.

That said, we are scoring a gazillion points a game, we just happen to be giving up a gazillion and a half. The defense needs fixing more than the offense ... which again points to more Bogut.

Not really. Maybe in the last 4 or 5 games, but our issues are clearly on the offensive end taking the entire season into consideration.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#70 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Jester_ wrote:
Not really. Maybe in the last 4 or 5 games, but our issues are clearly on the offensive end taking the entire season into consideration.

you mean when Iggy was injured and we had to watch 30 minutes of Barnes a night? Our offense is fine. The starters provide all of it, but it is just fine.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#71 » by Jester_ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

you mean when Iggy was injured and we had to watch 30 minutes of Barnes a night? Our offense is fine. The starters provide all of it, but it is just fine.

Maybe. 4th in DRTG vs 13th in ORTG is pretty bad though -- I'd have to look into the detailed stats.

Also, to be fair, we're still seeing Barnes 30 minutes a night.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#72 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:43 pm

He played a lot against Denver, but other than that, since the road trip he's been down in the 20s

My coach knows the deal. He was just being as patient as he could afford to be. He had great results with patience with Curry, Ezeli and Klay. He tried it with Barnes and it hasn't worked but you can't fault him for investing in a high draft pick.
kulo
Junior
And1: 158

Post#73 » by kulo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

The offense isn't fine it's relying on talent alone.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#74 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 am

Of course out offense relies on talent. Everything in the NBA is reliant on having enough talent. There is no magic strategy that is going to make our bench not suck. We loaded up on talent in our starting 5 and we have the #1 or #2 starting 5 in the league. that's what this team will live and or die with.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#75 » by Muggsy Bogues » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:59 am

Kulo's point is that the only reason our offense is chugging along at all is because we've got five guys who can improvise, since the coach refuses to come up with some set plays, which probably explains why they often revert to isos when their first look isn't there.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#76 » by likashing » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 am

As much as our defense sucked over the last few games, our defense has been great over the season at #5 defensive efficiency with Iguodala out for a while and Bogut averaging below 30 min. I don't think defense is our issue overall (except the last couple of games).

We are just average #13-14 among 30 teams in offensive efficiency, which I think is where our issue is. Our issue is Jackson is not able to create any system so other than our starters can score. Our scoring efficiency with Curry/Klay/Dre/Lee/Bogut is off the charts. But replacing Dre with Barnes killed the scoring. Any combo with the bench, or bench + 1 starter was pretty pathetic.

This is where the recent argument in the forum is. One camp believes it's due to the bench suck and can't score, and can be fixed by having better bench scorers. The other camp believes Jackson's system is fundamentally flawed, and with guys like Barnes and Green etc, it can't suck this bad with a half decent system.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... Iā€™m going to get my rest. Iā€™m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by Muggsy Bogues » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 am

likashing wrote:This is where the recent argument in the forum is. One camp believes it's due to the bench suck and can't score, and can be fixed by having better bench scorers. The other camp believes Jackson's system is fundamentally flawed, and with guys like Barnes and Green etc, it can't suck this bad with a half decent system.

While the bench definitely has talent issues, I don't think anyone can deny that Jackson's system is flawed. If their ball movement is stymied, even our starters don't seem to have a plan to get it going again. I've seen other teams use all sorts of screens or spacing adjustments to either get a couple of guys open or at least to get a covered guy a higher percentage shot, but with the Warriors it's all isolation plays because Jackass obviously can't be bothered to draw up an offense. I've seen all of these guys execute in a proper offense at one time or another (college for some), so I doubt they lack either the inclination or ability to do so. In that case, it's pretty obvious where the blame lies.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#78 » by likashing » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 am

Muggsy Bogues wrote:
While the bench definitely has talent issues, I don't think anyone can deny that Jackson's system is flawed. If their ball movement is stymied, even our starters don't seem to have a plan to get it going again. I've seen other teams use all sorts of screens or spacing adjustments to either get a couple of guys open or at least to get a covered guy a higher percentage shot, but with the Warriors it's all isolation plays because Jackass obviously can't be bothered to draw up an offense. I've seen all of these guys execute in a proper offense at one time or another (college for some), so I doubt they lack either the inclination or ability to do so. In that case, it's pretty obvious where the blame lies.

Full agreed. The reason is those guys need a more structured offense so they know the options and counters so they are confident and know what to do and where to move, in order to generate high percentage shots. They are less talented and lower in basketball IQ than the starters but they are not DLeague players. That's why only the starters have success because their basketball IQ is so high they can play with instinct despite Jackson's system, or lack thereof.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... Iā€™m going to get my rest. Iā€™m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Post#79 » by runtmc91 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:49 pm

I don't think there's any chance Jackson will be fired after this season. He's too closely removed from the 2012-2013 season, which was by all means a huge success. They've continued to win this year, as well. You can say that they've won in spite of him, not because of him, but that success coupled with the fact that players love him...buys Jackson time.

If they don't make it to the finals in the next two years and his X's and O's/rotation acumen don't improve immensely, I see him being let go after the 2014-2015 season, which is when his contract runs out. Until then, he's our coach. I'll continue to ride with him and support him, while simultaneously criticizing his ability to instill discipline on offense and stagger the rotation so that one of Curry/Iguodala is in at all times and Bogut closes out games with the starting lineup.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by Muggsy Bogues » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

runtmc91 wrote:I don't think there's any chance Jackson will be fired after this season. He's too closely removed from the 2012-2013 season, which was by all means a huge success. They've continued to win this year, as well. You can say that they've won in spite of him, not because of him, but that success coupled with the fact that players love him...buys Jackson time.

If they don't make it to the finals in the next two years and his X's and O's/rotation acumen don't improve immensely, I see him being let go after the 2014-2015 season, which is when his contract runs out. Until then, he's our coach. I'll continue to ride with him and support him, while simultaneously criticizing his ability to instill discipline on offense and stagger the rotation so that one of Curry/Iguodala is in at all times and Bogut closes out games with the starting lineup.

Welp, if Jackson's not gone, I'll go looking for a new team. Not that I dislike the guys, front office or even owner that the Warriors have now, but there's nothing more infuriating than watching a guy with the seeming intelligence of a potato completely mismanage a talented team; I can see exactly why so many Clippers fans wanted Del Negro gone, despite the team's success last year. It's like watching someone attempting to drive a brand new sports car through a wall instead of just driving around it.

Also, I'm wondering if any of you have run across the rumor that Lacob offered to hire an experienced assistant to fill the Malone role this summer, and Jackson turned him down? I wonder if there's any truth to that...

Return to Golden State Warriors