ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Mark Jackson or this team's going nowhere.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Fire Mark Jackson or this team's going nowhere. 

Post#81 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Joe Lacob was on the radio yesterday for about an hour....I just don't see them firing the coach, or making a gigantic trade.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#82 » by Muggsy Bogues » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Joe Lacob was on the radio yesterday for about an hour....I just don't see them firing the coach, or making a gigantic trade.

What about Lacob's interview (I've not heard it) made you think they won't fire Jackson? Mind you, I'm talking about replacing him during the offseason, and not right now, which would cause all sorts of trouble with players adjusting in the middle of the season. As for gigantic trades, I'm not really sure anyone's expecting one. I'd personally like to move Barnes for bench help, but I doubt that the W's would move him unless some sort of crazy once in a lifetime deal came along just before the trade deadline.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#83 » by Onus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:18 pm

It's hard to implement a system that accentuates the starters and the bench in the same system. The starters, klay and curry, are so unique that none of the bench can replicate what they do. Jackson isn't smart enough to be able to run 2 different systems.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#84 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Seems like he has run two different systems though.....ball movement and lots of screens and cuts with the starters....and lots of I so and post ups with the bench guys.

Much like Quick said.....I'd like the same system to be utilized for the bench as well....realizing that you can't completely duplicate the starters, but continuing the style.

Bring in Barnes for Klay.....have Barnes running around screens and setting up for threes much like Klay does....he won't shoot as well as Klay, but it will take the dribble out of the equation...and of course focus on D.

Bring in Draymond for Iggy....Iguodala is usually the first guy to the bench among the starters....it makes more sense to have Draymond replicate much of what AI does because of the similar skill set and passing ability.....both are lock down defenders as well.

Those two moves play to strengths and would allow for a continuation of style so having them mix with starters will be more seem less and not change to an entire different mode or approach.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Onus
RealGM

Post#85 » by Onus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 pm

No, I'm guessing you don't realize when our offense stagnates or is shut down the starters fully go into Isos as well. The bench is just much worse at it so they go into isos very quickly
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#86 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Onus wrote:No, I'm guessing you don't realize when our offense stagnates or is shut down the starters fully go into Isos as well. The bench is just much worse at it so they go into isos very quickly

You do realize that most of the offense is being called by jackson on the sidelines when the bench is out there...right?
Khoee wrote “
Onus
RealGM

Post#87 » by Onus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 pm

So you think the 2nd team is running a different offensive system?

You really think Jackson devised a whole new system for maybe 5 min a game? If we're lucky 18 minutes max?
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#88 » by SF_Warriors » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:36 am

The silver lining is,
If they fire MJax, this team can attract just about any coach out there looking for a gig.

Hollins, Karl, etc. agents will all be calling myers the second they hear that a head coaching spot is available.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#89 » by SF_Warriors » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 am

HiRez wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I think you're all a bunch of pussies.

The team just went on a 10 game win streak and now they are struggling against some of the top teams in the league. That's to be expected.

No, not just top teams. They lost to Brooklyn (without their 2 best players) and Denver, at home. And beat Boston, but only barely. Beat New Orleans, but without Holiday they are horrible. Those are not "top" teams. In short they are struggling against almost every team right now.

I do agree with your basic premise that we need to keep the big picture in perspective. It's a long season and they're not a veteran machine like the Spurs. They're going to go through some highs and lows, and some iffy stretches.

I think Oaktown put things in a great perspective.
Gotta give these guys more time to gel before we can truly make any judgement.
crawfor dis still new, iggy still recoverning, I think getting one of Jerm or Fes back healthy and not hobbly will help this team greatly.
These next few weeks before the all star game will tell us a lot about this team.
But I am sure there is one thing we can all agree on, and that is barnes needs to get his head out of his a$$. He has shown me enough over his short nba career that he is capable of much better.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#90 » by InWestWeTrust » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:50 am

Muggsy Bogues wrote:
likashing wrote:This is where the recent argument in the forum is. One camp believes it's due to the bench suck and can't score, and can be fixed by having better bench scorers. The other camp believes Jackson's system is fundamentally flawed, and with guys like Barnes and Green etc, it can't suck this bad with a half decent system.

While the bench definitely has talent issues, I don't think anyone can deny that Jackson's system is flawed. If their ball movement is stymied, even our starters don't seem to have a plan to get it going again. I've seen other teams use all sorts of screens or spacing adjustments to either get a couple of guys open or at least to get a covered guy a higher percentage shot, but with the Warriors it's all isolation plays because Jackass obviously can't be bothered to draw up an offense. I've seen all of these guys execute in a proper offense at one time or another (college for some), so I doubt they lack either the inclination or ability to do so. In that case, it's pretty obvious where the blame lies.

Possibly the "Mike Malone" effect
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#91 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 am

Malone was the one that drew up our plays last year during timeouts. We probably had the worst playcalling out of timeouts I've ever seen last year.

Dude was/is so overrated.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#92 » by Left*My*Heart » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:48 am

SF_Warriors wrote:The silver lining is,
If they fire MJax, this team can attract just about any coach out there looking for a gig.

Hollins, Karl, etc. agents will all be calling myers the second they hear that a head coaching spot is available.

I don't like Hollins and I don't like Karl.

I want a heavy weight, bring me in a guy with some skins and there are very few of the around, since they have jobs as well as being successful.

A re-tread doesn't do it for me and I would rather Jackson learn and grow in his position if possible than start the coaching revolving door.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#93 » by SF_Warriors » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:51 am

Left*My*Heart wrote:

I want a heavy weight, bring me in a guy with some skins and there are very few of the around, since they have jobs as well as being successful.

A re-tread doesn't do it for me and I would rather Jackson learn and grow in his position if possible than start the coaching revolving door.

I would love for nothing more than jack to suceed..but if he doesn't work out can't see too many coaches passing up the chance to coach this team
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#94 » by HiRez » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am

Someone has to coax Sloan out of retirement.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#95 » by Senchu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:03 am

Jackson's contract ending this season.
Thibodeau's contract ending this season.

In Myers we trust. :D
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#96 » by statsman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Senchu wrote:Jackson's contract ending this season.
Thibodeau's contract ending this season.

In Myers we trust. :D

MJax's contract goes through next season (2014-15).

http://blog.sfgate.com/warriors/2013/07/10/warriors-officially-pick-up-mark-jacksons-contract-option/
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#97 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:59 am

Left*My*Heart wrote:

Lacob said the other day that he doesn't like re-treads.
Khoee wrote “
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#98 » by and1GS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:14 am

Agreed with left my heart - one of the main things I hate about pro sports is that when **** semi-hits the fan, the coach goes. No continuity there and yet we all try and idolize the Spurs 'system.' How do you think it became so well-developed? Continuity in the FO and at coach. When you find talent in both areas, don't fire it when you hit a bit of a rough patch.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#99 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 am

and1GS wrote:Agreed with left my heart - one of the main things I hate about pro sports is that when **** semi-hits the fan, the coach goes. No continuity there and yet we all try and idolize the Spurs 'system.' How do you think it became so well-developed? Continuity in the FO and at coach. When you find talent in both areas, don't fire it when you hit a bit of a rough patch.

The question is not whether continuity is important but whether MJax is capable of instituting such a great system like a popovich.

Hollins wouldn't be a retread the guy helped develop the modern day grizz team into quite the formidable squad. That is why I want him.

There is a difference between a team that is underachieving and a team expected to suck..This team is underachieving ..and blame definitely can go on the coach
Hollins and Karl maximized their teams potentials. No way this season's warriors reach 55 wins but they arguably have more overall talent than last yr grizz and nugs

This team has all the tools to be able to run a top notch offensive system..and also has great defensive pieces..at this point I am not sure MJax can develop this team the way Hollins did his..but I will wait until the end of the season before calling for MJax head
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#100 » by and1GS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:47 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
and1GS wrote:Agreed with left my heart - one of the main things I hate about pro sports is that when **** semi-hits the fan, the coach goes. No continuity there and yet we all try and idolize the Spurs 'system.' How do you think it became so well-developed? Continuity in the FO and at coach. When you find talent in both areas, don't fire it when you hit a bit of a rough patch.

The question is not whether continuity is important but whether MJax is capable of instituting such a great system like a popovich.

Hollins wouldn't be a retread the guy helped develop the modern day grizz team into quite the formidable squad. That is why I want him.

There is a difference between a team that is underachieving and a team expected to suck..This team is underachieving ..and blame definitely can go on the coach
Hollins and Karl maximized their teams potentials. No way this season's warriors reach 55 wins but they arguably have more overall talent than last yr grizz and nugs

This team has all the tools to be able to run a top notch offensive system..and also has great defensive pieces..at this point I am not sure MJax can develop this team the way Hollins did his..but I will wait until the end of the season before calling for MJax head

IMO there are only two reasons you should fire a successful coach in basketball and soccer.

1) He's too stubborn to try different strategies - be it personnel or system.
2) He's a poor man-manager (really, this is half the job of the coach...if you can't lead them what can you really accomplish?).

MJ has shown that he is flexible with changing his approach to the game (notice we're playing Bogut down the stretch more? or how we now run Klay almost exclusively off screens?) and he's a great man-manager. This wreaks of a knee-jerk Memphis Grizzlies (22-20) or Denver Nuggets (22-21) coach-firing.

They were making progress, but thought the coach was the missing piece. Turns out, the players play the game and not the coach. If your manager is flexible and a leader, then just give him talent and things will start to fall into place. Coaches need time to develop their skills, too.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to Golden State Warriors