ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Jackson's job a little bit safer bcuz of Bogut injury?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Is Jackson's job a little bit safer bcuz of Bogut injury? 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 am

Coming into our first round series, it was looking like we were more or less equal to the Clippers.

Now we are massive underdogs without Bogut, who is second in defensive efficiency rating to Noah (just by a fraction) and is out for the rest of the season.

It may be a win-win situation, as a first round exit doesn't look so bad after all and a 2nd round appearance would make Jackson look pretty competent.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Re: Is Jackson's job a little bit safer bcuz of Bogut injury 

Post#2 » by TaylorMonkey » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 am

I was really hoping to judge Jackson on the basis of no-excuse coaching with full squad in the playoffs.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#3 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 am

IMO that the decision has already been made.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#4 » by HiRez » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 am

Before the Bogut injury I was thinking the Dubs playoff performance might well be the hinge on which Jackson's fate was decided. So yes, I think there is something to what you say. They now have an excuse (probably legitimate) for an underwhelming playoff performance.

I wonder if Jackson would accept a 1 year extension (if say Lacob isn't quite sure) or if he'd see that as insulting and walk. What is Jackson looking for?
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#5 » by bakesale » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 am

If Jackson somehow wins the first round of this playoffs, I'll never complain about him ever.
Vanilla Man
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#6 » by Vanilla Man » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:23 am

bakesale wrote:If Jackson somehow wins the first round of this playoffs, I'll never complain about him ever.

As humans we all have a short term memory. I'm sure people said that last year as well vs Denver. Over time it's human nature to stop appreciating the past.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#7 » by migya » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:37 pm

MJackson has been in the spotlight lately in a negative way but someone give a LEGITIMATE reason how he has not done a good job as HC of the team this season?

Injuries to the 6th man to start the season, then almost a month to the best perimeter defender likely in the nba (one of the two best defenders on the team), extensive period of time primary backup Center was injured, starting Pf that was allstar last season out for over two weeks at end of season, as well as best perimeter defender out a few games and never 100% at end of season, same deal with starting Center.

Bench not built well and almost nonexistent for half the season at least.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#8 » by Muggsy Bogues » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:01 pm

No one's blaming Jackson for the bench or the injuries he's had to work around. Every coach has stuff he can't control. However, he makes the same mistakes time after time, and hasn't shown any indication that he even views many of his weaknesses as problems. If Lacob wants progress, I don't see how he can keep Jackson on. Do you think that Jackson's going to suddenly turn into a detail-oriented tactician next season? It's a Vinny Del Negro situation.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#9 » by hamncheese » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I don't think Jackson suddenly turns into a detail-oriented tactician, but could he bring in an assistant that helps in that area? I don't know. But if I am guessing, that's what Lacob/management will likely push for. This situation isn't like del Negro because of one difference between del Negro and Jackson, is that Jackson has player support. del Negro did not. Paul was very cool on Vinnie.

If Jackson is gone from the team, it won't be a sudden thing based entirely on this past season. It'll come out from extension discussions and what management wants from Jackson to do for next season, such as the assistants he'll have to bring in and what they come to in discussions about "philosophy" and such. The possible exception to that is if Lacob and management has a sure-fire better coach picked out to replace Jackson, but I don't see such a coach out there.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#10 » by JimmyTD3 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm

On the flipside, if we beat the Clippers in 5, will we stop complaining about him?

Will posters who know next to nothing about basketball strategy stop criticizing Jackson's "tactics" and "rotations"?

The only way these fans will be satisfied is if he turns into a stern looking 55 year old white guy. Then he'll be a good X's and O's guy...
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#11 » by RoyalMajesty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:14 pm

migya wrote:MJackson has been in the spotlight lately in a negative way but someone give a LEGITIMATE reason how he has not done a good job as HC of the team this season?

Injuries to the 6th man to start the season, then almost a month to the best perimeter defender likely in the nba (one of the two best defenders on the team), extensive period of time primary backup Center was injured, starting Pf that was allstar last season out for over two weeks at end of season, as well as best perimeter defender out a few games and never 100% at end of season, same deal with starting Center.

Bench not built well and almost nonexistent for half the season at least.

And not a single minute this season for a 2nd year center who came in and play good defense last year as a rookie while the Australian continues to get hurt.

Great post sir and let me add in one more thing in there as well. Jackson also had one of the worst backup PG in all of mankind in Toney Douglas who happens to be on his 5th team already in his 5th year in the NBA, then he got traded away for Jordan Crawford who also happens to be on his 4th team already in his 4th year in the NBA and will most likely going to put up 20 shots for 15 points on Wednesday night against the Nuggets, and as soon we realized Jordan Crawford is not the answer for the backup PG again, we then traded his buddy MarShon Brooks and our locker room class clown Kent Bazemore for Steve Blake who is pretty much straight up diarrhea. All those injuries, no serviceable backup PG all season long, a pathetic bench, and Curry, Thompson, Lee, Iguodala, and Bogut playing only 43 games together at the same time, I'm quite proud of Mark Jackson to be able to win 50 games while dealing with all those problems.

All the Mark Jackson haters, how many head coaches can win 50 games with what Coach Jackson had to deal with all season long? The real question is how does Mark Jackson gets all the blaming and finger pointing when Bob Myers was the one that put this team together? I don't see posts and forums about Bob Myers. All I see is everybody going for Mark Jackson's throat. GIVE SOME OF THE BLAMING AND FINGER POINTING TO BOB MYERS AS WELL!
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#12 » by Muggsy Bogues » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Stringcheese wrote:On the flipside, if we beat the Clippers in 5, will we stop complaining about him?

Will posters who know next to nothing about basketball strategy stop criticizing Jackson's "tactics" and "rotations"?

The only way these fans will be satisfied is if he turns into a stern looking 55 year old white guy. Then he'll be a good X's and O's guy...

First of all, the race and age comments are off-topic and uncalled for (and for the record, if you replaced Jackson with either Doc Rivers or Brad Stevens, the quality of the team's offense would skyrocket). Secondly, have you just not been watching the same team as the rest of us during this season? Do you think that constant O'Neal isos where he ignores open shooters outside the arc, Harrison Barnes drives that stop halfway through as he fumbles the ball, Crawford 22-second dribbling exhibitions and all the rest of the nonsense that we see game after game are indicative of a coach who knows offensive basketball strategy?

Each one of those guys has shown over the years (and occasionally this year) that he's definitely capable of being a contributor when used in a structured offense... so why do the Warriors not have a structured offense that'll take advantage of their strengths instead of sending them out there with no plan to "play ball"? Crawford and Blake were both effective floor leaders on their former teams, Barnes did far better as a complementary guy cutting to the hoop looking for passes and boards than driving to the basket on repeated isos that stop ball movement. O'Neal is best used as a guy who'll either crash the offensive boards or go backdoor and score quickly (or get fouled) off of a pass from Lee, Curry or Klay as they drive inside and the defense collapses on them. Speights is much better when rolling to the hoop unless he's gotten hot from outside.

Why aren't any of the backups being used properly? Why aren't they mixed with the starters more often, and when it does happen, why are the Warriors still defaulting to isos instead of using the starters to lure in the defense, then passing to the backups for easy buckets? Even the starters have this problem, but they get around it by having high BBIQs and managing to improvise. However, if nothing's working, they just don't have enough set stuff to fall back on and end up trying to play hero ball, which might sometimes work but isn't efficient enough to depend on consistently. The problem with Jackson isn't just everything I've described, but that in his third year with the team, he's doing pretty much what he was doing when he came in. If he can't learn by now, what makes anyone think that he's going to? Win or lose, I can't see keeping him on if he stubbornly refuses to fix the pretty big holes in the team's offensive approach.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#13 » by old rem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 am

Our W-L % is good, we're back at 6 seed. If we backslide NEXT year...if certain stuff does not improve.. maybe then GSW goes shopping. Right now? I don't see any "ideal" coach available. I'm not thinking GSW always changing a lot.. is GOOD. Look at the Spurs. The got a solid core..and perfected it. There's no other explanation for their success.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#14 » by old rem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 am

Kuya wrote:Coming into our first round series, it was looking like we were more or less equal to the Clippers.

Now we are massive underdogs without Bogut, who is second in defensive efficiency rating to Noah (just by a fraction) and is out for the rest of the season.

It may be a win-win situation, as a first round exit doesn't look so bad after all and a 2nd round appearance would make Jackson look pretty competent.

Bogut's D and Rebounds..are HUGE.. but we HAVE had good play from JO,Dray, Speights...actually might somewhat offset the loss on D with more scoring. We HAVE played the Clips well this year and recent years. As the lower seed.. we have to steal a road win. We CAN..but we have to play at our MAX.. then also win at Oracle.

For GSW.. Curry and Lee are pretty predictable, Klay...can be cold but often is hot. The key is getting a lot from EVERYONE else. Of course... winning rd 1 just means likely we face the Spurs. Minus Bogut... It's a long shot.
CENSORED... No comment.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#15 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:57 am

Jackson's coaching really is based on him letting his players do what they do. I think that's great for development, but we've passed the point of needing it. The cream has risen to the top, and its time to take those players and make a serious run at a ring. Unless Jackson has been hiding this excellent game management talent for a few years just to surprise an unsuspecting team in the 1st round of the playoffs, I'm thinking we need someone who's better now, not could be better eventually.

That said, if Thibs is somehow available and wants to coach here, axe him save winning the whole thing. And I would definitely scour the college / assistant ranks for a coach that better utilizes the talent in game. Hard to say if I'd fire Jack for any of them though.
Lone Star
Junior
And1: 51

Post#16 » by Lone Star » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:49 am

And not a single minute this season for a 2nd year center who came in and play good defense last year as a rookie while the Australian continues to get hurt.

Great post sir and let me add in one more thing in there as well. Jackson also had one of the worst backup PG in all of mankind in Toney Douglas who happens to be on his 5th team already in his 5th year in the NBA, then he got traded away for Jordan Crawford who also happens to be on his 4th team already in his 4th year in the NBA and will most likely going to put up 20 shots for 15 points on Wednesday night against the Nuggets, and as soon we realized Jordan Crawford is not the answer for the backup PG again, we then traded his buddy MarShon Brooks and our locker room class clown Kent Bazemore for Steve Blake who is pretty much straight up diarrhea. All those injuries, no serviceable backup PG all season long, a pathetic bench, and Curry, Thompson, Lee, Iguodala, and Bogut playing only 43 games together at the same time, I'm quite proud of Mark Jackson to be able to win 50 games while dealing with all those problems.

All the Mark Jackson haters, how many head coaches can win 50 games with what Coach Jackson had to deal with all season long? The real question is how does Mark Jackson gets all the blaming and finger pointing when Bob Myers was the one that put this team together? I don't see posts and forums about Bob Myers. All I see is everybody going for Mark Jackson's throat. GIVE SOME OF THE BLAMING AND FINGER POINTING TO BOB MYERS AS WELL!

This years team is better than last years... nuff said, you can complain all you want about the PG issues, but Iggy > Jack, JO > Landry, this year's Curry > last year's Curry, this year's Klay > last year's Klay, this years Bogut (67 games) > last years Bogut (32 games, many of them hobbling). Barnes regressed, Lee suffered from a broke ass jumper this season and Festus was out the entire season, but still overall the roster was better this season.

In fact your biggest complaint is about the bench and a lack of a PG. Well Iggy was supposed to be the backup PG, but Jackson never really used him that way, preferring to go with complete "line shift" substitutions instead of mixing in Iggy and Curry with the bench players. Barnes also seemed to suffer, as well as the whole bench because of Jackson's incessant desire to use isolations with the bench players, when no one is good at creating their own shots.

Meyers tried to correct this issue by getting Jordan Crawford who, for better or worse (usually worse), can create his own shot. When that didn't work and Jackson still did his "line shifts" then Meyers had to find a legit distributor, thus the Blake pickup.

I think the bench could actually be decent offensively as a unit, if Jackson would run set plays rather than PNR or isolatons, even a motion offense would work better, there are just guys standing around waiting for JO, Barnes or Crawford to take contested shots.

Look, Jackson is a good coach, maybe just the type of coach needed to get the Dubs to where they are now and he has made adjustments with his substitutions. My biggest question is weather he is the right coach to move the team to the next level. The Clippers had a better record than the Dubs last season and asked that same question, well see how that decision plays out.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#17 » by whocurrz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 am

Don't know how much to trust the whisperings but on PTI they were saying it's a poor kept secret that Jackson is pretty much out the door. Kornheiser was saying barring a trip to the finals Jackson is out he door which sounds like BS. I think FNQ said it best in evaluating Jackson's style and it's strengths and limits. That doesn't mean he should be fired though. I do think he should be asked to come up with plans to instill a more structured offense and a coach assistant who can help teach it. If Lacob cares more about winning than spending then he can fire Jackson during his next contract and eat the cost. Or if they have a guy they are confident with taking this team to the next level then it could be worth the risk. But there are most likely going to be some coaching slots available willing to throw big $$$ in LA and NY. And Minnesota could be an enticing job for Hoiberg who is a popular name amongst coaching candidates mentioned.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#18 » by floppymoose » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:44 am

Vanilla Man wrote:
bakesale wrote:If Jackson somehow wins the first round of this playoffs, I'll never complain about him ever.

As humans we all have a short term memory. I'm sure people said that last year as well vs Denver. Over time it's human nature to stop appreciating the past.

I actually like Jackson despite his shortcomings. Mainly because I think I appreciate his strengths more than most here. Just being able to keep his players together is HUGE. We've had so few coaches who could pass that basic bar.

But my personal pet peeve is feeding O'Neal on the block. I don't ever want to see that against decent post defenders, only if there is a true matchup advantage. And at JO's age, there aren't many of those.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#19 » by paul » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 am

Yes.

A playoff loss would be blamed on Bogut's injury, a playoff win would see the coach lauded for adjusting so well.

These playoffs have gone from the likely death of Jackson's GSW coaching tenure to a no lose situation for him imo.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#20 » by paul » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 am

floppymoose wrote:But my personal pet peeve is feeding O'Neal on the block. I don't ever want to see that against decent post defenders, only if there is a true matchup advantage. And at JO's age, there aren't many of those.

Try being a Bogut fan and watching that happen over and over again :lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors