ImageImageImageImageImage

Closing out wins: Playing not to lose?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Closing out wins: Playing not to lose? 

Post#1 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Now, this thread would have been made seconds after the loss if we hadn't pulled out game 1, but instead I want to reflect on things even having edged the Clipps on their home floor. Why does this team seem incapable of holding on to leads? Watching game 1 Saturday I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach in the 4th quarter because this game felt EXACTLY like G1 in Denver and G1 in SA last year, two games that IMO we outplayed the opposition but still found a way to lose with 4th quarter collapses, particularly the SA series opener.

It happens in the regular season as well, we open up big leads and seem to fall asleep at the wheel. Now, Saturday it seemed to me we just gassed. We played lights out in the third and Steph played 45 minutes in the game and in the 4th we were walking the ball up and playing low energy offense, nearly killed us. What can be done to better protect these leads?

The strange thing is it seems to work both ways. We get behind 10, no big deal, we can rally in an instant. Up 10, I know better than to even go to the kitchen for a beer because I can come back and it will be tied up. What do you guys think is the biggest reason for this? Just relaxing mentally? Lack of killer instinct? We pulled this one out but squandering big leads against good teams come playoff time could wind up being the difference in advancing another round and another year of talking about what could have been.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Re: Closing out wins: Playing not to lose? 

Post#2 » by Muggsy Bogues » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:24 pm

East Bay Sports wrote:Why does this team seem incapable of holding on to leads?

Because whenever they get a big lead, they stop doing what got them there (running, ball movement, screen setting, motion offense) and start running isos. It's one of the main reasons that Lacob is looking to give Jackson the boot... to do the same thing over and over all year when you clearly have the personnel to play differently is inexcusable.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#3 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:30 pm

yeah....this will come back to bite them...and almost did Saturday. Last year they should have taken the first two games from the Spurs....and Denver really.

Two key issues for the Warriors in trying to close out games:
1) They don't get to the FT line much. It's feast for famine with this team. Raining jumpers or 5 straight misses.
2) They are an up tempto team whose offense dies when they slow down the ball....Killing clock = killing offense :(
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#4 » by migya » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 am

I just think the team has the players to run pick and rolls with not just Curry and Lee. Klay and Jermaine or even Speights can work. Iguodala and one of the mentioned bigs can also work. I think Iguodala taking it to the basket on the same side of the floor as Griffin is should be exploited as well at times. Griffin isn't a good defender and likely would foul Iguodala when he flies hard at the rim. The team can play to it's strengths well and coming home for the next two games they've got to be happy to have homecourt.

Return to Golden State Warriors