Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Northx57
Veteran
And1: 107

Re: Mark Jackson's Inability to Land Another Coaching Gig 

Post#41 » by Northx57 » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:17 pm

turk3d wrote:
Northx57 wrote:
turk3d wrote:Please, let's not turn this into an "anti-christian" thread. Whether or not he gets another coaching job is another story. Pretty sure he's already had feelers. Think it's possible he may not be interested in coaching right away or if he is, only in what he'd consider the right spot for him, especially with his cushy job back at ESPN? It was reported that Cleveland had some interest in him before they hired Blatt. Think maybe he wasn't interested in Cleve-Land (Howard the Duck land) perhaps?

You've gotta be kidding me. I know you love the guy, but cmon...

And how am I kidding There were reports early on that Cleveland was interested in him and he did get a 3 year contract from ESPN almost immediately after he was fired. "The truth sets you free". That's biblical so I'm sure some of you won't like that. It's ok, I understand. Using that vid to deny him a job to me is discrimination if it were admitted too. Of course, if it were any other religion I guess that's the case.

So you think he would turn down a chance to earn more money? He would turn down a chance to prove himself again and get back at the Warriors management for firing him? How about the reports of Brooklyn being interested in him? You think he turned down that job too? You're more delusional than I thought. Maybe Mark Jackson has brainwashed you as well.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#42 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:26 pm

To be that eccentric, you have to be real good. Jack aint real good.

Imagine if he werent the religion that the majority of the country is.. That would go over like a lead balloon. Bottom line is that no one will hire him as a coach because basketball will never come first.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#43 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:41 pm

Optimisticwarrior wrote:Mark Jackson is a Christian and the leader of his congregation. He is doing what he believes is the right thing to do as a reverend. It's not like he is wrapping up bombs to himself to blow up other people ...

I am not advocating that he was a good fit for the Warriors but this should have nothing to do with his future coaching job. He is just passionate about his belief and is doing what he believes is right. He was a passionate coach from what I remember ...

You can correlate this matter to when you're applying for a job. When the employer initially receives your resume and cover letter, they'll read about your background and experience. Then, they'll further dig deeper into your social life via Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc. to collectively see if you've done anything outrageous/scandalous. And if they find a snippet of picture, video, or text from you doing something they didn't expect you to be doing or participate in, they'll contemplate about how that'll affect other employees in the work environment. If it's something extreme, they'll simply toss your opportunity in their trash and move onto the next candidate.

Not sure how much it'll affect Jacksons' chances of landing another coaching gig, but it's highly dependent on the owners of the organization, obviously. If they can roll with his extracurricular activities, then that's them.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#44 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:52 pm

Northx57 wrote:
turk3d wrote:
Northx57 wrote:You've gotta be kidding me. I know you love the guy, but cmon...

And how am I kidding There were reports early on that Cleveland was interested in him and he did get a 3 year contract from ESPN almost immediately after he was fired. "The truth sets you free". That's biblical so I'm sure some of you won't like that. It's ok, I understand. Using that vid to deny him a job to me is discrimination if it were admitted too. Of course, if it were any other religion I guess that's the case.

So you think he would turn down a chance to earn more money? He would turn down a chance to prove himself again and get back at the Warriors management for firing him? How about the reports of Brooklyn being interested in him? You think he turned down that job too? You're more delusional than I thought. Maybe Mark Jackson has brainwashed you as well.

First off, I have seen no reports of how much he's being paid by ESPN and we don't know what Cleveland (if they were to make an offer to him) how much that would have been so theoretically the ESPN offer could have been more. Then consider the move to Cleveland. Some of you have reported how making his residence in LA posed a problem here with our FO, how much more could it be in Cleve-land?

And what about his ministry being in SoCal? So the liklihood of him going there was probably slim to none even if he were offered the job. I imagine very early on that message was relayed to the Cleveland brass and so they decided not to pursue him any further. He just may not have wanted to go back to coaching this very moment and was satisfied with his familiar gig with ESPN. If anyone were worried about what some of you consider his "bad behavior" you would think they would, being a major media giant.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#45 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:54 pm

Ganji wrote:Ok so you can't serve two masters... So what does MJ has against God? Jesus and God are not one entity. just sayin...

Yes they are :) it's a trifecta, three for one.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#46 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:57 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Optimisticwarrior wrote:Mark Jackson is a Christian and the leader of his congregation. He is doing what he believes is the right thing to do as a reverend. It's not like he is wrapping up bombs to himself to blow up other people ...

I am not advocating that he was a good fit for the Warriors but this should have nothing to do with his future coaching job. He is just passionate about his belief and is doing what he believes is right. He was a passionate coach from what I remember ...

You can correlate this matter to when you're applying for a job. When the employer initially receives your resume and cover letter, they'll read about your background and experience. Then, they'll further dig deeper into your social life via Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc. to collectively see if you've done anything outrageous/scandalous. And if they find a snippet of picture, video, or text from you doing something they didn't expect you to be doing or participate in, they'll contemplate about how that'll affect other employees in the work environment. If it's something extreme, they'll simply toss your opportunity in their trash and move onto the next candidate.

Not sure how much it'll affect Jacksons' chances of landing another coaching gig, but it's highly dependent on the owners of the organization, obviously. If they can roll with his extracurricular activities, then that's them.

If someone's resume is thrown into the trash just because of his religious conviction, to me that is discrimination. Try doing that to a Muslim and see what happens. Nice fat lawsuit. I can see where that would be a problem with some organizations (I wrote about this in a long post when this subject first came up) but it is something you do covertly and not overtly which is why (as I've said) the FO has never said anything about this publicly and probably never will but there's been plenty of signs out there that indicate this being one of their major issues in canning him.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#47 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:06 pm

OK, just for fun… usually people use the word “cult” as a pejorative term for religions they don’t conform to their own beliefs. But there have been some objective qualities that have been associated with cults. Let’s have a look at them ☺

Authoritarian leadership
Jackson didn’t let his assistant coaches talk to media

Exclusivism
Jackson felt that he alone had the truth – he didn’t need assistant coaches guiding offensive strategies. He kept doing the same thing over and over – iso ball, post ups, hockey substitutions, etc.

Isolationism
Jackson wouldn’t let “outsiders” – including guys like Jerry West, Jim Barnett - attend practices

Opposition to independent thinking
Jackson tried to fire assistant coach Brian Scalabrine, seemingly for an “independent thinking”-type violation

Fear of being “disfellowshiped”
Did players feel pressured to join Jackson in his sermoning, having to rider the other bus?

Perceiving threats of attack
The team always seemed to be operating as if they were under threat of attack, us/them, people counting them out

OMG I think we were running a cult! ;)
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#48 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:09 pm

turk3d wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

If someone's resume is thrown into the trash just because of his religious conviction, to me that is discrimination. Try doing that to a Muslim and see what happens. Nice fat lawsuit. I can see where that would be a problem with some organizations (I wrote about this in a long post when this subject first came up) but it is something you do covertly and not overtly which is why (as I've said) the FO has never said anything about this publicly and probably never will but there's been plenty of signs out there that indicate this being one of their major issues in canning him.

Employers can trash candidates' resumes without even speaking a word to them since most job applications submissions are done online.

I think that's only if they have been hired or have been working with the company that employees have been exposed to these odd/bizarre behaviors/acts. If it's strictly written in the company policy--and if he/she has read in their contract to not bring that to the workplace--then the company has the right to terminate if it threatens other employees' well-being.

Otherwise, Jackson would have sued Lacob and co. for discrimination on his religious background (if written in their contract that they will not discriminate on those grounds). As far as I know and have read, they fired Jackson because of his abrasive attitude/manner towards the FO's associates?
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#49 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:21 pm

Heh...Jackson certainly is a bit of a boob.

The only thing really wrong with that video to me is that it is quite awful preaching he's doing. Not awful in terms of malicious content, but his style is just crappy. There's nothing particularly insightful, inspiring, or even charismatic in his speech. He just seems to be loud and thinks what he's saying is important. That kind of preaching/sermon/homily/prayer drives me nuts. I actually dig a good prayer. I mean, I can get into an insightful, inspiring, charismatic expression of compassion, inspiration, morality, love, blessing, community, divinity, humanism etc as quick as the next brainwashed, hive-minded cultist (that's what we all are right?) but that was most certainly not the good stuff. That was TERRIBLE preaching. If I'm a potential employer I am less concerned with the content of that video than I am with the fact that if inspiration and leadership are his stock in trade, he doesn't appear to have much in the way of inspirational speaking chops.

I can't BELIEVE Lacob hasn't taken more heat for this hiring to begin with. How on earth does the guy in that video wow you in an interview?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#50 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 8, 2014 6:24 pm

On Jackson's future employability... I've been saying all along that he would not get another head coaching gig for the coming season. Of course, fans and media are going to throw his name around for every vacancy (and fans and media were the most outspoken critics of his firing), but a lot of those jobs were non-starters - Jackson was never going to be hired by Phil Jackson in NY. Otherwise he would have just kept Mike Woodson around.

Now on Mark Jackson coaching again in a year... that's more of a possibility. His name will come up. But things are not getting easier for him with some of the revelations (no pun ;) )that have been coming out - not just the street preaching but banning people from practice, the assistant coach situations, etc. And Jackson's pridefulness may keep him from entertaining an assistant coaching job or one of the lower profile head coaching jobs - I think he would most like to prove GS wrong by going on to coach the Lakers or Knicks to glory. So chances are growing that he is one and done.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#51 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:43 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
turk3d wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Employers can trash candidates' resumes without even speaking a word to them since most job applications submissions are done online.

I think that's only if they have been hired or have been working with the company that employees have been exposed to these odd/bizarre behaviors/acts. If it's strictly written in the company policy--and if he/she has read in their contract to not bring that to the workplace--then the company has the right to terminate if it threatens other employees' well-being.

Otherwise, Jackson would have sued Lacob and co. for discrimination on his religious background (if written in their contract that they will not discriminate on those grounds). As far as I know and have read, they fired Jackson because of his abrasive attitude/manner towards the FO's associates?

What you say would be true, but it would have to be put into the contract from the very beginning (I doubt it was in this instance). But even so, try putting into someone's contract that they'd be disallowed from practicing certain aspects of their religious convictions. I guarantee their lawyers would advise them otherwise.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#52 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:45 pm

I don't think that the Lakers have hired a coach yet have they? I'm sure that if they were interested in him, that would be a place he'd definitely consider. Some of you are making it out that Jackson is looking for a coaching position real hard and right now. It's not like the dude is unemployed at present. :confused:
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#53 » by LeonGenesis » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:46 pm

Jackson had no chance of a coaching job at Cleveland or Brooklyn. The teams threw his name out there just so they cover their ass that they did their due-diligence in finding possible candidate for the job. Just like Warriors, they wanted Kerr all along, but they had to provide list of other candidates for the job as well. Jackson didn't get an interview with the other teams that were supposedly interested in him LOL. Jackson will never be a head coach in the NBA again...bank on it I wish there was an odd on it at Las Vegas :lol:

Like I said before, the players made Jackson after management brought in new players. Preaching about religion to the players can do so much with their performance on the court LOL.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#54 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 8, 2014 7:50 pm

Employers have to make "reasonable" accommodations for employee religious beliefs - for example if Mark Jackson was a Sikh the Warriors would have needed to let him wear a turban. It seems quite a stretch to say that Mark Jackson was fired for his religious beliefs/behaviors, although it would not have been unreasonable for the Warriors to tell him if he wants to coach here he has to live here full time... and if that's a problem for Mark Jackson he can choose not to take the job. But even if a team were thinking of hiring Jackson, or wanting to fire Jackson, because of his street preaching, it would be pretty hard to prove that - there would have to be evidence, for example, of the Warriors telling him cut out the religious stuff, emailing each other saying how can we fire this religious freak, etc.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#55 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 8, 2014 8:00 pm

LeonGenesis wrote:Jackson had no chance of a coaching job at Cleveland or Brooklyn. The teams threw his name out there just so they cover their ass that they did their due-diligence in finding possible candidate for the job. Just like Warriors, they wanted Kerr all along, but they had to provide list of other candidates for the job as well. Jackson didn't get an interview with the other teams that were supposedly interested in him LOL. Jackson will never be a head coach in the NBA again...bank on it I wish there was an odd on it at Las Vegas :lol:

Like I said before, the players made Jackson after management brought in new players. Preaching about religion to the players can do so much with their performance on the court LOL.

How do you know this? You don't. You just wish it was that way. I have yet to see Jackson say he was looking for a coaching job (other than "he will coach again" but not when). We'll see who's right or wrong eventually, you or him.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#56 » by turk3d » Tue Jul 8, 2014 8:14 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:OK, just for fun… usually people use the word “cult” as a pejorative term for religions they don’t conform to their own beliefs. But there have been some objective qualities that have been associated with cults. Let’s have a look at them ☺

Authoritarian leadership
Jackson didn’t let his assistant coaches talk to media

Exclusivism
Jackson felt that he alone had the truth – he didn’t need assistant coaches guiding offensive strategies. He kept doing the same thing over and over – iso ball, post ups, hockey substitutions, etc.

Isolationism
Jackson wouldn’t let “outsiders” – including guys like Jerry West, Jim Barnett - attend practices

Opposition to independent thinking
Jackson tried to fire assistant coach Brian Scalabrine, seemingly for an “independent thinking”-type violation

Fear of being “disfellowshiped”
Did players feel pressured to join Jackson in his sermoning, having to rider the other bus?

Perceiving threats of attack
The team always seemed to be operating as if they were under threat of attack, us/them, people counting them out

OMG I think we were running a cult! ;)

There's many definitions for a "cult" and I think a lot of you will be surprised. Of course, they will vary from dictionary to dictionary. So rather than just pick one, I found a website which labels itself "cultdefinition.org" lol. Let's see what they have to say.

http://cultdefinition.com/ (it turns out they use merriam-webster)

The definition of the term ‘cult’ as provided by the Merriam-Webster dictionary covers a variety meanings:

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Let's examine each of the following and see whether or not Jackson fits the bill:

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
veneration: 1 respect or awe inspired by the dignity, wisdom, dedication, or talent of a person
2 : the act of venerating 3: the condition of one that is venerated
Would the love of Curry/Love be considered veneration? Is Realgm a Basketball cult, lol.

2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
I'd say any religion would fall under this classification, not just Christianity or the way Jackson practices it.

3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
I don't think that the Christian religions is considered to be unorthodos.

4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
Was Jackson doing any healing on that video? I didn't notice if he was.

5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
I guess most Christians (if not all) would fall into this category as they worship Jesus Christ.

I'd say the same for Muslim who follow Mhoammed and for Budhists who follow Buddha.

I'll let you decide what you think should be considered a cult. Never heard (or saw) Jackson telling people to follow him or claiming he was the Messiah.. :no:

IMO just about any religious organization can be labeled "cult" depending on your definition.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 8, 2014 8:17 pm

The offseason reminds of me 2:59pm when I was in grade school
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 8, 2014 8:39 pm

turk3d wrote:
LeonGenesis wrote:Jackson had no chance of a coaching job at Cleveland or Brooklyn. The teams threw his name out there just so they cover their ass that they did their due-diligence in finding possible candidate for the job. Just like Warriors, they wanted Kerr all along, but they had to provide list of other candidates for the job as well. Jackson didn't get an interview with the other teams that were supposedly interested in him LOL. Jackson will never be a head coach in the NBA again...bank on it I wish there was an odd on it at Las Vegas :lol:

How do you know this? You don't. You just wish it was that way. I have yet to see Jackson say he was looking for a coaching job (other than "he will coach again" but not when). We'll see who's right or wrong eventually, you or him.

I wont believe OJ did it until he says he did it
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#59 » by Jester_ » Tue Jul 8, 2014 8:47 pm

Rob Rowell wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
Xplatformer wrote:
I wanted Mark back...but this video makes me rethink my support for him.

It's his free time...yes...but it would make me cautious of having him coach the squad.

Oh...and being very religious imo does not = cultish.

That's the definition of a cult

No it's not, just because your not a believer you want to call every religion a Cult. GTFO.

Definition of a cult: "a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object."

Moron. Who the hell are you to comment on what I believe anyway?
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#60 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jul 8, 2014 8:48 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:The offseason reminds of me 2:59pm when I was in grade school

Yep. Good description.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?

Return to Golden State Warriors