ImageImageImageImageImage

Does Steph Curry have a shot at MVP this season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

runtmc91
Junior
And1: 148

Does Steph Curry have a shot at MVP this season? 

Post#1 » by runtmc91 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:45 pm

I think he has a really good chance. Lebron is surrounded by so much talent he might not be considered as "valuable" to his team's success. There are a lot of issues in OKC with the Westbrook/Durant dynamic and the lack of system implemented by Scott Brooks---I see things coming to a head there. Anthony Davis will be a beast, but his team won't win enough games.

I actually think it's going to be Curry or Derrick Rose. Thoughts?
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Re: Does Steph Curry have a shot at MVP this season? 

Post#2 » by timlin500 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:26 pm

I think he definitely has a chance. Warriors just need to finish top 3 in the West.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#3 » by HiRez » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:37 pm

No.
day1086
Junior
And1: 228

Post#4 » by day1086 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:44 pm

His stats are better than anyone outside Lebron and Durant

All it would take is a top seed and he's strongly in the conversation
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#5 » by JimmyTD3 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 pm

I think so.

If he goes say....26/4/8 and we win 58....it could happen.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#6 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Probably not, unless the Warriors have one of the best records in the NBA going into the playoffs.
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#7 » by LeonGenesis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:38 pm

no...let's be realistic...not optimistic here. 50/50 we make the playoff with our current rosters...I expect a bunch of them are going to be injured LOL.

1. streaky Klay going to be himself again...1 out of 4 good games.
2. Curry going to be himself again with his turnovers. If he takes us to the Final, then he deserves MVP. I highly doubt we'll reach that far.
3. Bogut gonna be injured with something...
4. Lee is going to be Lee.
5. Green going to be Green...hustle players but no scoring.
6. Iggy...who knows which one is going to show up...pre-Warriors or pro-Warriors?
7. The rest of the bench..hmm...unknown LOL.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#8 » by HiRez » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:50 am

Bear in mind the award is usually given in early May, which is somewhere during the late first or early second round of the playoffs.
JimmyTD3
Banned User
And1: 1,640

Post#9 » by JimmyTD3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:56 am

LeonGenesis wrote:no...let's be realistic...not optimistic here. 50/50 we make the playoff with our current rosters...I expect a bunch of them are going to be injured LOL.

2. Curry going to be himself again with his turnovers. If he takes us to the Final, then he deserves MVP. I highly doubt we'll reach that far.
6. Iggy...who knows which one is going to show up...pre-Warriors or pro-Warriors?

Everything you said here hurt my brain, other than "Bogut gonna be injured with something"...that could very well happen, although I hope it doesn't.

Klay will improve, Curry is amazing, Lee is fine, Green is awesome, Iggy led the league in RAPM last year and made first team all-defense, and we just added a bunch of proven vets to our bench.

We literally have the same team as last year that won 51 games, except we have a better bench, 50/50 to make the playoffs is a pretty pessimistic outlook for the year.
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#10 » by GSWhoopfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:58 am

Livingston will help Steph a lot. If Steph can play off ball for about 1/3 of his minutes then I can definitely see it happen. The only thing in his way is this team isn't constructed to win many regular season games as health going into the playoffs is/should be the top priority. I do expect to see him get lots of votes though.
Lets Go Baron Davis...i dont care what jersey you put on. Lets go.
Big Smooth is focused and ready to handle the centers of the league.
Curry and Ellis will be a top 5 back court this season. 6/25/2010
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#11 » by Boomerfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:32 am

No. I fully expect that with Kerr the team is going to play more team ball and equal opportunity offense... which in turn will mean less ISO Steph every possession.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,021

Post#12 » by Frozzy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:37 am

Boomerfan wrote:No. I fully expect that with Kerr the team is going to play more team ball and equal opportunity offense... which in turn will mean less ISO Steph every possession.

I don't know why people think we will automatically be the Spurs with a Rookie head coach heading into next season. We have ok depth now but we aren't the Spurs.

If Kerr turns Curry into Andre Miller that only spots up for 3 then RIP
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#13 » by Boomerfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:53 am

Frozzy wrote:
Boomerfan wrote:No. I fully expect that with Kerr the team is going to play more team ball and equal opportunity offense... which in turn will mean less ISO Steph every possession.

I don't know why people think we will automatically be the Spurs with a Rookie head coach heading into next season. We have ok depth now but we aren't the Spurs.

If Kerr turns Curry into Andre Miller that only spots up for 3 then RIP

Nobody is talking about becoming "The Spurs". We are talking about the team having more than only 4 plays run by their coach every game. "Steph ISO", "Mismatch post up", "Lee Post up regardless of mismatch", "3 point pull up on transition."

That was the entire offensive setup Pastor ran. We were last in the league for ball movement. It doesn't even have to be Steve Kerr. I could pick up a random drunk ex baller off the street and he could come up with a better offense scheme for the team.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#14 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:58 am

Stringcheese wrote:
LeonGenesis wrote:no...let's be realistic...not optimistic here. 50/50 we make the playoff with our current rosters...I expect a bunch of them are going to be injured LOL.

Everything you said here hurt my brain, other than "Bogut gonna be injured with something"...that could very well happen, although I hope it doesn't.

Klay will improve, Curry is amazing, Lee is fine, Green is awesome, Iggy led the league in RAPM last year and made first team all-defense, and we just added a bunch of proven vets to our bench.

There is a high correlation between brain hurting takes and under appreciation of Iggy. And sure enough at 6... :P
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:04 am

Boomerfan wrote:]
Nobody is talking about becoming "The Spurs". We are talking about the team having more than only 4 plays run by their coach every game. "Steph ISO", "Mismatch post up", "Lee Post up regardless of mismatch", "3 point pull up on transition."

Don't forget benchmob regardless of matchup and Barnes ISO.

To be fair we had a lot of pick and rolls and screen curls. But they got repetitive and were easily sniffed out.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,896

Post#16 » by Plossum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:23 am

Hard to do with LeBron and Durant at their respective peaks.

But I guess Nash won it during the prime years of Duncan and Kobe, so why not?
#LockUpChuck
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#17 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:25 am

wow that is very negative.

GS won 51 games last year, got better this year. I think top 4 will be their target.
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#18 » by DynastySS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 am

NBAfan3024 wrote:

wow that is very negative.

GS won 51 games last year, got better this year. I think top 4 will be their target.

Leon is powered by some combination of stupidity and negativity. No one has exactly figured out the formula, but negativity is surely a big part of the recipe.
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#19 » by cladden » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:09 am

This **** is infuriating. What in the holy **** were you watching?
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:39 am

cladden wrote:

This **** is infuriating. What in the holy **** were you watching?

To be fair, Klay only provides good offense in 1/3 of all his playoff games.

Return to Golden State Warriors