ImageImageImageImageImage

Getting rid of Barnes is it a good move or not for the Dubs?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Re: Getting rid of Barnes is it a good move or not for the D 

Post#41 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:00 am

We have a right to hope that he only plays as much as he deserves. This should no longer be about "investing in him."

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
cj03
Starter
And1: 154

Post#42 » by cj03 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:31 am

Barnes has a pretty horrible standing reach which doesn't bode well for him playing the 4. Dray's standing reach is much better. 8'5.5" vs. 8'9". Also Dray's wingspan is 2 inches longer.
TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Post#43 » by TrueStoryGSW » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:43 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNL3qF1aFM[/youtube]
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#44 » by turk3d » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:15 pm

TrueStoryGSW wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNL3qF1aFM[/youtube]

For a guy who supposedly can't play, pretty impressive. What is the highest % shot in the NBA, especially when it comes to finishing? Tbe dunk. I'd imagine it's at least 90% and probably even higher for Harrison. Give me a break for those of you who say he sucks, The kids got game. It just needs to be properly channeled which I'm hoping Kerr (and his staff) can do. There's no reason he can't be a productive part of this team.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#45 » by Bball0000 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:47 pm

turk3d wrote:
TrueStoryGSW wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNL3qF1aFM[/youtube]

For a guy who supposedly can't play, pretty impressive. What is the highest % shot in the NBA, especially when it comes to finishing? Tbe dunk. I'd imagine it's at least 90% and probably even higher for Harrison. Give me a break for those of you who say he sucks, The kids got game. It just needs to be properly channeled which I'm hoping Kerr (and his staff) can do. There's no reason he can't be a productive part of this team.

Nonsense! that'd deviate from the all or nothing black or white he's a star / he sucks narrative :). HB is 22 , had soph slump, lacked confidence. But the skillset is undeniable. strong and explosive who can finish with highlight reel dunks doesnt grow on trees. gotta let the would be senior in college develop before making sweeping conclusions.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Re: R: Getting rid of Barnes is it a good move or not for th 

Post#46 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Bball0000 wrote:
turk3d wrote:

Nonsense! that'd deviate from the all or nothing black or white he's a star / he sucks narrative :). HB is 22 , had soph slump, lacked confidence. But the skillset is undeniable. strong and explosive who can finish with highlight reel dunks doesnt grow on trees. gotta let the would be senior in college develop before making sweeping conclusions.

+1
He's got skills, he needs a coach who gives him the opportunity to use them
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#47 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:09 pm

Lol, a dunk reel. I guess that settles it. Harold minor, James white, Jarameo moon, Javale McGee, the list goes on as long as kids have been practicing dunks instead of free throws. The history on the NBA is littered with insignificant, unskilled athletes who could dunk but didn't add wins to their teams records. But at least someone is being honest finally. The amount of slack Barnes has gotten for an extremely disappointing career thus far is almost entirely about his highlight reel. Dunks are hoops brain candy. The Cohan warriors needed Dunkers. You can't have a Great Time Out without highlight dunks tall when your team sucks.

Fortunately this warrior organization is moving beyond putting on a good losing show.

You guys and your dunk-boners rofl

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Getting rid of Barnes is it a good move or not for the Dubs? 

Post#48 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 pm

turk3d wrote:

Oh ffs. Dunks happen in the NBA when the defense makes a mistake. When someone is out of position there are opportunities to dunk. Getting dunks is not a skill it's an outcome. It's a result that comes from the execution of a variety of much more important skills, and it's primarily the work of your teammates that puts you in a position to dunk. This isn't a video game, you can't just spam the turbo button to get a dunk whenever you want.

If this games worked the way you guys think, Curry shot 75% efg on dunks. He was barely at 50% on other shots. Clearly we should change around the offense so that we can get Curry more dunks...durr

old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#49 » by old rem » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:00 pm

bay2hk wrote:Warriors need a big really bad, but selling Barnes low right now would be bad. I say hold onto him and see what he does this season.

Absolutely. We have Livingston and Barbosa so.. what's Foye do for us? With Bogut, Festus, Speights, Kozmic... I don't see a lot gained getting Mosgov unless Bogut has a new injury...in which case the move is to move Bogut.

The thing that got my attention was that NONE of GSW's SF crew averaged 10 ppg. Iggy, 31 yr old and not cheap..has had declining production for MANY years. Green...played well at SF and PF..and off the bench. Barnes seems to me to need to start, to be asked to be a more aggressive guy on offense. If he can't do it..given the shot..THEN we probably move him. Rright now.. I won't quit early and settle for some bench stuff. I also consider Speights useful and low $. An ASSET...if not a big asset.
CENSORED... No comment.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#50 » by Onus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:21 pm

Bball0000 wrote:Nonsense! that'd deviate from the all or nothing black or white he's a star / he sucks narrative :). HB is 22 , had soph slump, lacked confidence. But the skillset is undeniable. strong and explosive who can finish with highlight reel dunks doesnt grow on trees. gotta let the would be senior in college develop before making sweeping conclusions.

Barnes as a senior in college now ... does he even get drafted in the first rd?

The last 5 years of Harrison Barnes has been suck ... but no doubt this will be the year he turns it around.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#51 » by Onus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Also....on 82games In the lineups where Barnes is listed as a four he was a +88 net.

So going forward he should play more four. But green is good at four as well. Maybe we should just have Green play 3 and Barnes the four?

EDIT: just went back and looked at lineups with Green at small forward and he was a +81 net. With no negative lineups that have him playing sf.

New rotations;

Curry...Livingston....Barbosa
Klay...Curry...Barbosa...Livingston....Rush
Iguodala....Green....Klay....Rush....Barnes
Lee...Barnes...Green...Speights
Bogut...Lee...Ezeli...Kuzmic...Speights

Dang...we're kind of deep!

HHAHAHA now Barnes should be playing 4? I guess it only took you a year to figure it out when I've been yelling and screaming that for the past year and a half.

The other thing is Barnes and Dray can't be on the floor together to play the 3 and the 4 they're so interchangeable that the defense just puts the 4 on Dray no matter where he is, which effectively makes Dray the 4 and Barnes the 3.

Barnes' best hope is to become a 3 point gunner like Gerald Green ...
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
turk3d
RealGM

Post#52 » by turk3d » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
turk3d wrote:

Oh ffs. Dunks happen in the NBA when the defense makes a mistake. When someone is out of position there are opportunities to dunk. Getting dunks is not a skill it's an outcome. It's a result that comes from the execution of a variety of much more important skills, and it's primarily the work of your teammates that puts you in a position to dunk. This isn't a video game, you can't just spam the turbo button to get a dunk whenever you want.

If this games worked the way you guys think, Curry shot 75% efg on dunks. He was barely at 50% on other shots. Clearly we should change around the offense so that we can get Curry more dunks...durr

I don't think that Steph could even dunk until about a year ago. :D And as for many of Banres dunks, he either gets ahead of the field (a skill, if coach K says hustle is a skill, then I'd say speed is a skill) or he get fed cutting to the basket where he's an excellent finisher (to me that's a hustle play). As I said, it's not all about dunking, but dunking is in fact part of the game and just so happens to be the games highest percentage shot so give me all the dunks you want and I'll take them. The only thing that any of shot has on a dunk is the 3 because it's worth an extra point, but I'll take dunks all day if I can get them.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
turk3d
RealGM

Post#53 » by turk3d » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Lol, a dunk reel. I guess that settles it. Harold minor, James white, Jarameo moon, Javale McGee, the list goes on as long as kids have been practicing dunks instead of free throws. The history on the NBA is littered with insignificant, unskilled athletes who could dunk but didn't add wins to their teams records. But at least someone is being honest finally. The amount of slack Barnes has gotten for an extremely disappointing career thus far is almost entirely about his highlight reel. Dunks are hoops brain candy. The Cohan warriors needed Dunkers. You can't have a Great Time Out without highlight dunks tall when your team sucks.

Fortunately this warrior organization is moving beyond putting on a good losing show.

You guys and your dunk-boners rofl

You might have well included AR on that list as well. The thing is, I wouldn't put Barnes in that category at all, all of them you mentioned (with the exception of Moon possibly) were head cases and I just don't see that with Barnes (unless you want to equate low motor to head case). And as for Moon, not a very good 3 pt shooter which Barnes seems to be pretty decent at and if he can improve his shot selection (and the team doesn't put him in a position with the clock run down which forces him to shoot it) I think his efficiency numbers can get even better.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#54 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:35 pm

Turk one of the problems with young Barnes and even Klay for that matter has been finishing around the rim. Not sure of the percentages right now but both have struggled in that area. Not so much on dunks but flip shots, bank shots, layups, etc.

You only get so many dunks in a game if you're lucky so you can't rely on that as a tool. Unless you're Blake Griffin and you have Chris Paul throwing you lobs at every opportunity. I'd like for Curry to have that down better with Barnes because it is a weapon. But maybe the real key for Barnes will be Livingston. He's a shot creator and presumably Barnes will be playing a lot of minutes with him. It should result in better shots taken which will be good for everyone.

I'm with Sleepy that Barnes shouldn't be given minutes over Draymond. Draymond just plays a better all around game, but the Warriors aren't sitting Barnes. They just aren't...right or wrong.

It should be reiterated that Barnes would have been a college senior last season, so he's still very young and has lots of experience under his belt....playoff experience as well.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#55 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm not willing to give up on Barnes yet, but pointing out his dunks is a pretty weak argument, unless you can point out that he somehow is getting an exceptional number of dunks. i guess that is possible, but I doubt it. If he somehow gets himself in a position to get lots of dunks, that would indicate something noteworthy. If he made a higher percentage of his dunks than others, that might be interesting, except I'm guessing the league average for dunks is so high that you can't get a significant percentage above it. Mostly Barnes has had some very impressive looking dunks, and that really doesn't help your team any more than regular dunks. You don't get 2.25 points for rocking the backboard.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:43 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I'm not willing to give up on Barnes yet, but pointing out his dunks is a pretty weak argument, unless you can point out that he somehow is getting an exceptional number of dunks. i guess that is possible, but I doubt it. If he somehow gets himself in a position to get lots of dunks, that would indicate something noteworthy. If he made a higher percentage of his dunks than others, that might be interesting, except I'm guessing the league average for dunks is so high that you can't get a significant percentage above it. Mostly Barnes has had some very impressive looking dunks, and that really doesn't help your team any more than regular dunks. You don't get 2.25 points for rocking the backboard.

What was his % for finishing around the rim?..which includes dunks...I seem to remember if being low. Klays too.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#57 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I'm not willing to give up on Barnes yet, but pointing out his dunks is a pretty weak argument, unless you can point out that he somehow is getting an exceptional number of dunks. i guess that is possible, but I doubt it. If he somehow gets himself in a position to get lots of dunks, that would indicate something noteworthy. If he made a higher percentage of his dunks than others, that might be interesting, except I'm guessing the league average for dunks is so high that you can't get a significant percentage above it. Mostly Barnes has had some very impressive looking dunks, and that really doesn't help your team any more than regular dunks. You don't get 2.25 points for rocking the backboard.

What was his % for finishing around the rim?..which includes dunks...I seem to remember if being low. Klays too.

Anecdotally that would be my suspicion, at least this past season. Lots of times I felt he actually made a nice move to get to the rim, and then butchered a seemingly easy shot.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Anecdotally that would be my suspicion, at least this past season. Lots of times I felt he actually made a nice move to get to the rim, and then butchered a seemingly easy shot.

Lol.....both of them.......love the term butchered....highly underrated.
Khoee wrote “
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#59 » by Quazza » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:30 pm

Sleep, am I tripping or did you just reply to the same post twice, but with 2 different personalities?
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,021

Post#60 » by Frozzy » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:53 am

Onus wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Also....on 82games In the lineups where Barnes is listed as a four he was a +88 net.

So going forward he should play more four. But green is good at four as well. Maybe we should just have Green play 3 and Barnes the four?

EDIT: just went back and looked at lineups with Green at small forward and he was a +81 net. With no negative lineups that have him playing sf.

New rotations;

Curry...Livingston....Barbosa
Klay...Curry...Barbosa...Livingston....Rush
Iguodala....Green....Klay....Rush....Barnes
Lee...Barnes...Green...Speights
Bogut...Lee...Ezeli...Kuzmic...Speights

Dang...we're kind of deep!

HHAHAHA now Barnes should be playing 4? I guess it only took you a year to figure it out when I've been yelling and screaming that for the past year and a half.

The other thing is Barnes and Dray can't be on the floor together to play the 3 and the 4 they're so interchangeable that the defense just puts the 4 on Dray no matter where he is, which effectively makes Dray the 4 and Barnes the 3.

Barnes' best hope is to become a 3 point gunner like Gerald Green ...

Barnes is an OK floor spacer at PF in the 2nd unit but he still does not have the skill set to be a good SF. Unless we're playing the Clippers or Grizzlies I would much rather see Green at the 3 than Barnes.

Return to Golden State Warriors