In depth article on possible Klay extension and future

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

In depth article on possible Klay extension and future 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: In depth article on possible Klay extension and future 

Post#2 » by turk3d » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Good article Mylie. Now I can see why the Warriors FO may be balking on giving Klay the max. I think he's worth it, but the problem becomes overall cap management over the next few years. All the more reason why they need to win this year regardless of how they play it.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:22 am

Basically they are realizing that they will pay it, but they will make him wait if that's the route they're gonna take.

Klays camp wants it now, but the only way the Warriors sign him right now is with a slight discount. Even a mil or two savings per year could really help the Warriors down the road with the cap, based on the articles breakdown.

They could make him play next year at his QO at around 4.7 mil or whatever and then just match any offer he gets. That could however create a bit of bad blood.

If Klay really want the money sooner, then sign for a slight discount and help your team to add pieces in the future. Give and take.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#4 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:11 am

I think they will come to a deal next week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using RealGM Forums mobile app
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
sjm34
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#5 » by sjm34 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:38 am

The article is wrong when it mentions the part of not offering the QO "immediately". Teams have until June 30 to make the offer or the player becomes a FA. They would no longer have the right to match any offer, which would also be the case if they let him play out the following season at his QO as Mylie suggested.

I don't see how they don't give him the max if he waits till next season, regardless of whether he gets an offer or not. I think his camp would be ok playing out the year, but would expect a max deal for five years next summer.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:03 am

The only problem for Klay with that scenario is the possibility of injury to Klay.

They of course want five years over four, but I think if he signs now the most is four years....right?

I think the so called frustration is the camp and not Klay. And I think they will get it done next week as well.
Khoee wrote “
sjm34
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#7 » by sjm34 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:13 am

If they give him five years this season, it has to be the designated player deal with max salary and raises. If they wait for him to be a RFA next summer they can give him five years at any amount because it would not have to be an extension. A really weird distinction in the CBA. It is why Pho was able to give Bledsoe five years for less than the max, but Denver couldn't give Faried five years for less. Bledsoe was a RFA so he essentially signed a new contract, whereas Faried is one year removed from RFA and so his deal is considered an extension.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#8 » by Left*My*Heart » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:00 pm

I wouldn't trade Livingston next off season to free up cap space. I believe he is going to make a huge impact. To the team. The Sixers would be a good trade destination for Lee, along with Barnes. A lot can happen between now and then, so I am concerned, I'm not panicking.

I expect a deal to be made by the deadline.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I wouldn't trade Livingston next off season to free up cap space. I believe he is going to make a huge impact. To the team. The Sixers would be a good trade destination for Lee, along with Barnes. A lot can happen between now and then, so I am concerned, I'm not panicking.

Yeah I don't think they trade Livingston either. His impact is gonna be huge for us. Lots of fans are gonna be pleasantly surprised by how much game he still has. His deal will be a bargain and you don't trade good value deals for impact players just to move bodies.

Myers basically said it's getting done.....just a matter of how much for how long. There really isn't any big frustration going on, and if it is, it's Klays dad and Duffy...doubtful Klay is to worried about it.
Khoee wrote “
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#10 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I wouldn't trade Livingston next off season to free up cap space. I believe he is going to make a huge impact. To the team. The Sixers would be a good trade destination for Lee, along with Barnes. A lot can happen between now and then, so I am concerned, I'm not panicking.

Philadelphia has Embiid, Noel, and Saric as young guys to man the 5 and 4 positions, I'm not sure the "big man" positions are where they'd be looking to get an impact veteran...... though dang, I wish we could do a deal with them to move Lee.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#11 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:17 am

ChuckDurn wrote:

Philadelphia has Embiid, Noel, and Saric as young guys to man the 5 and 4 positions, I'm not sure the "big man" positions are where they'd be looking to get an impact veteran...... though dang, I wish we could do a deal with them to move Lee.

Barnes would be the, hopeful desired player and Lee is an expiring, as well as $$$ to help them with their minimum if needed.

Return to Golden State Warriors