I don't get no respect! - The David Lee Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Re: I don't get no respect! - The David Lee Thread 

Post#541 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:07 pm

turk3d wrote:
xfactor99 wrote:Lee stunk in game 2. I think the Warriors should try the doubling strategy that worked well in the second half last game to see if that can stick defensively. If for whatever reason that fails AND the offense is still looking awful than maybe give Lee a run against Memphis' backup bigs. Not while Randolph and Gasol are in though...

Lee could do alright as long as Kerr sandwiches him between two good defenders (Bogut and Green) to protect him from getting filleted by ZBo and Gasol. If he takes out Bogut and tries to run smallball with Lee and Green he (and the rest of the team) will get torched.

Head to head last season Lee averaged 18.0/9.3 in 35:02 while Randolph averaged 19.7/9.7 in 38:11. Is that getting "filleted"?

Also, Green/Lee was the Warriors best front court last season... they also went +30 against the the Clippers in the playoffs. But I'm guessing you think they can't handle bigger/more athletic/more physical front courts?
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#542 » by Mylie10 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:48 pm

While I love it when you post those numbers Oaktown....We must admit that Lee is out of sorts with this offense and has been out of sync on his own level.

If Lee were to get run, I would definitely run him with Steph in Pick and Roll. That was always a go to for both Steph and Lee and for whatever reason Kerr just hasn't put that out there this season.

Lee had a synergy with Curry, but with the back up units Lee has been more of a filler. Not knocking Kerr to much, because lee never really gave Kerr as reason to play him more this season....he just never got it going.

But as an option to go to, I would explore it....and I would do it with Curry on the floor, and I would run pick and roll, just to see if it throws Memphis off.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#543 » by turk3d » Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
turk3d wrote:
xfactor99 wrote:Lee stunk in game 2. I think the Warriors should try the doubling strategy that worked well in the second half last game to see if that can stick defensively. If for whatever reason that fails AND the offense is still looking awful than maybe give Lee a run against Memphis' backup bigs. Not while Randolph and Gasol are in though...

Lee could do alright as long as Kerr sandwiches him between two good defenders (Bogut and Green) to protect him from getting filleted by ZBo and Gasol. If he takes out Bogut and tries to run smallball with Lee and Green he (and the rest of the team) will get torched.

Head to head last season Lee averaged 18.0/9.3 in 35:02 while Randolph averaged 19.7/9.7 in 38:11. Is that getting "filleted"?

Also, Green/Lee was the Warriors best front court last season... they also went +30 against the the Clippers in the playoffs. But I'm guessing you think they can't handle bigger/more athletic/more physical front courts?

Watch the games and tell me that Randolph didn't torch his ass. Kerr had Lee on Gasol much of the time and not Zach (forced to play Bogut on ZBo). You think that with all the trouble that Draymond has had with the Griz frontcourt that Lee wouldn't do even worse?

Lee vs ZBo careerwise:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =randoza01

Notice down at the bottom so far these playoffs (I know very small sample size, but do you really expect it to be any different?).

And you must be talking about the previous season regarding Lee's numbers (couldn't be this season) before his jumper got broke (only averaged 7.9 ppg this season).

This season, against Memphis, the first game (which we lost) Gasol scored 24 on 11-21 and Zach scored 17 on 8-12 while Dray went 2-11 and Ezeli (who started, Bogut didn't play) went 1-3. Dray: 2-11 this game. Incidentally, that game the combined shooting totals for Conley, Allen and Lee was 8-29 so it wasn't their guards who killed us that game.

In the next game (which the Warriors won handily while Memphis was in a tailspin) Steph and Klay went off for 38 and 28 respectively.

And in the final game (which was really quite meaningless Klay went off shooting 15-20. I think it's pretty obvious that Memphis has devised a way to keep Klay (and especially Steph) from beating them. They've decided to play the Warriors 3 pt game and try and shut that down in addition to doubling Steph as much as possible. This strategy, although proving to be very effective for them, can be beaten as it works to the weakening of the their interior defense.

We should be driving the ball as much as possible (especially Steph) and dishing it to Bogut, Green, Lee, Barnes or Iggy when the defense collapses on him which he has the passing and ball handling skills to do. This will from them to dorpback thereby giving the Warriors the opportunity to get good looks at 3 pt range which thus far they haven't been these last two games.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#544 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:57 pm

turk3d wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
turk3d wrote:Lee could do alright as long as Kerr sandwiches him between two good defenders (Bogut and Green) to protect him from getting filleted by ZBo and Gasol. If he takes out Bogut and tries to run smallball with Lee and Green he (and the rest of the team) will get torched.

Watch the games and tell me that Randolph didn't torch his ass. Kerr had Lee on Gasol much of the time and not Zach (forced to play Bogut on ZBo). You think that with all the trouble that Draymond has had with the Griz frontcourt that Lee wouldn't do even worse?

Lee vs ZBo careerwise:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =randoza01

Notice down at the bottom so far these playoffs (I know very small sample size, but do you really expect it to be any different?).

And you must be talking about the previous season regarding Lee's numbers (couldn't be this season) before his jumper got broke (only averaged 7.9 ppg this season).

This season, against Memphis, the first game (which we lost) Gasol scored 24 on 11-21 and Zach scored 17 on 8-12 while Dray went 2-11 and Ezeli (who started, Bogut didn't play) went 1-3. Dray: 2-11 this game. Incidentally, that game the combined shooting totals for Conley, Allen and Lee was 8-29 so it wasn't their guards who killed us that game.

In the next game (which the Warriors won handily while Memphis was in a tailspin) Steph and Klay went off for 38 and 28 respectively.

And in the final game (which was really quite meaningless Klay went off shooting 15-20. I think it's pretty obvious that Memphis has devised a way to keep Klay (and especially Steph) from beating them. They've decided to play the Warriors 3 pt game and try and shut that down in addition to doubling Steph as much as possible. This strategy, although proving to be very effective for them, can be beaten as it works to the weakening of the their interior defense.

We should be driving the ball as much as possible (especially Steph) and dishing it to Bogut, Green, Lee, Barnes or Iggy when the defense collapses on him which he has the passing and ball handling skills to do. This will from them to dorpback thereby giving the Warriors the opportunity to get good looks at 3 pt range which thus far they haven't been these last two games.

Of course I'm talking bout last seasons numbers. Lee essentially didn't play this season.

Also, his eFG% on jumpers was higher this season than last (per 82games.com). You should probably stop blaming his jump shot, especially since he's not a jump shooter.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#545 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:While I love it when you post those numbers Oaktown....We must admit that Lee is out of sorts with this offense and has been out of sync on his own level.

If Lee were to get run, I would definitely run him with Steph in Pick and Roll. That was always a go to for both Steph and Lee and for whatever reason Kerr just hasn't put that out there this season.

Lee had a synergy with Curry, but with the back up units Lee has been more of a filler. Not knocking Kerr to much, because lee never really gave Kerr as reason to play him more this season....he just never got it going.

But as an option to go to, I would explore it....and I would do it with Curry on the floor, and I would run pick and roll, just to see if it throws Memphis off.

Curry/Thompson/Iguodala/Lee/Bogut was the best starting lineup in the NBA last season. This season they have played 23 minutes together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having Lee and Iggy come off the bench, but Kerr needs to switch up the lineups.

What I love about a team like the San Antonio Spurs is their ability to play any style. Want to run? They'll run. Want to slow it down? They'll slow it down. Pop always has an answer and he always has his players ready. Kerr hasn't made any adjustments this season.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#546 » by Mylie10 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Like I said...if you're gonna give Lee some run (which it doesn't sound like it based on Kerr's post game)...then me personally, I run him with Curry. That just hasn't happened much at all the entire season. Not everything Mark Jackson did was aligned with the Anti-Christ.

Kerr basically said that they were gonna make adjustments, but even with Speights out, they aren't gonna change their rotation much.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#547 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Like I said...if you're gonna give Lee some run (which it doesn't sound like it based on Kerr's post game)...then me personally, I run him with Curry. That just hasn't happened much at all the entire season. Not everything Mark Jackson did was aligned with the Anti-Christ.

Kerr basically said that they were gonna make adjustments, but even with Speights out, they aren't gonna change their rotation much.

And that frustrates me SOOO much.

Mylie10
RealGM

Post#548 » by Mylie10 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:51 am

I thought Lee competed fine tonight and he played decent D in the game with Bogut. Still out of rhythm with certain shots you know he'd normally make.
Khoee wrote “
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#549 » by likashing » Tue May 12, 2015 7:21 am

Lee played decent. He was a factor when we made the run to take a big lead in the 2nd quarter. He looked bad when he was left on the court as our center though. It was more Kerr's call than Lee's fault that he had to play C. I don't have a problem with his play today.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#550 » by DreDay » Tue May 12, 2015 9:07 am

Happy for Lee. He played quite well and played his role well. Good on him.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#551 » by migya » Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm

With Speights out, Lee has to get some run but he has to be played going to his bread and butter, which is pick and roll with Curry, might work with Klay as well. Lee just doesn't have much else anymore and is horrible defensively. He has to be something on the offensive end, maybe just passing to cutters even.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#552 » by turk3d » Tue May 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Lee came through big time imo when we really needed him to. He really battled Gasol in the paint (to no avail at times) but really put up a good fight I thought, especially in the first half. His defense seemed to drop off a bit in the 2nd, but at least he's now an asset that we can use in a pinch. Really happy that he showed up for us.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#553 » by floppymoose » Tue May 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Lee was ok, but the stretch where he was doing single coverage on Gasol with no Bogut on the floor was painful. Lee had no chance in that situation and the team was -7. I love Kerr but I have no idea what that was about. I guess it just came down to Gasol being able to play more minutes than Bogut could.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#554 » by turk3d » Tue May 12, 2015 8:26 pm

floppymoose wrote:Lee was ok, but the stretch where he was doing single coverage on Gasol with no Bogut on the floor was painful. Lee had no chance in that situation and the team was -7. I love Kerr but I have no idea what that was about. I guess it just came down to Gasol being able to play more minutes than Bogut could.

I'd love to see Kerr try implementing a twin towers with Bogut and Ezeli going against Gasol and Randolph. That would be rather interesting but I doubt he does it. It would be something to consider if in running small Memphis starts to hit some of its outside shots. It would allow our wings to get after theirs defensively rather than dropping back to help in the paint on ZBo and Gasol.
Steph Thompson
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#555 » by Steph Thompson » Wed May 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Control the boards
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#556 » by East Bay Sports » Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Why are people clamoring for Festus in this series? I agree coming in, in theory, Festus should have been a role player for us in this series... but when it actually came down to it he got his chances at PT and he looked lost out there. Unfortunate, but he hasn't earned more minutes, certainly not in some experimental lineup consisting of he and Bogut that we have never used in history. That would be such an awful lineup offensively I can't even compute.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#557 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:09 am

Good game from Lee tonight.
Bandito
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#558 » by Bandito » Thu May 14, 2015 6:30 am

Good to see Lee out there hustlin ass and playing some decent basketball in a winning cause.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#559 » by NBAfan3024 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 am

Another good game for him
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#560 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu May 14, 2015 7:16 am

Tonight Lee defended Gasol better than anyone else. He bodied him up and got in his face, no breathing space, a superb effort. I didn't think he had that intensity level in him. He could thrive as a reserve big if it allows him to play with that intensity every time.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.

Return to Golden State Warriors