ImageImageImageImageImage

More Specific - What is our cap most likely going to look like next season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Re: More Specific - What is our cap most likely going to look like next season? 

Post#41 » by californiadude » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:51 am

turk3d wrote:
californiadude wrote:
The Drummond pick was a Lacob/Myers miss. I threw a tantrum when they selected Barnes over Drummond. However looking back at it now we did have a gigantic hole at SF. I still don't understand the moves they made in that year though. First they take Barnes over Drummond. Wasn't what I wanted but hey at least we have our SF of the future. He plays like a beast in the playoffs so I start to admit I was wrong about Barnes not being worth 7 and maybe the FO is smarter then I thought.. Then Myers, after seeing Barnes kill San Antonio, goes out and trades a boatload of picks and cap space for Iggy. I just don't get why the FO doubled down on the SFs when neither were probably the correct moves in the first place. I like Iggy a lot and I don't agree with a lot of the hate he gets but I mean come on. That move just didn't make sense unless they saw Barnes as a small ball 4.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

The other factor in drafting Barnes over Drummond besides the fact that we had a big hole @ the starting SF spot (remember it was DWrong) which was a big reason was that they decided to roll the dice with Bogut who they made a large investment in by trading Monta. In addition, they still had hopes for Biedrins (at least as Bogut's backup) so there would be a good chance that Drummond might wind up 3rd string.

They had no idea that Biedrins would never recover and that Bogut would wind up with so many injury problems. I think that they might the right (intelligent) move in selecting Barnes. There's no telling how Drummond would have done over here. One thing I'm certain of is that he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity he got in Detroit early. Time will tell on Drummond whether he becomes a superstar, but even so, that's still a way's off, and if we had drafted him, I doubt we'd be making a run at the championship at this point.

As for the Iggy acquisition, if you recall, they went after all the top FAs that offseason, being rejected by everyone and I believe that they wanted to make a splash to prove to the fans that they were serious about spending the money. They integrated that with moving Beans and Jefferson's expirings as part of the deal to facilitate bringing in Iggy. Rather complicated and costly but it accomplished their objectives.

The only bad moves that they made imo is amnestying Bell (that 4M is peanuts to them deep pocketed dudes) and not using it on Biedrins at that point. As mentioned, they had a lot invested in Beans who was a top 10 Center in a league short on Centers for a couple of years and their property. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out, but I really can't blame them for taking that approach. Perhaps if they hadn't used the amnesty on Bell, they may have still used it down the road (and kept one of the draft picks they gave up to Utan).

Even the Bell amnesty (as stupid as it was) they actually had a somewhat legitimate reason for. They needed the $4M in order to sign FAs Jordan, Nene and Chandler, all who ultimately turned them down. Maybe they should have had the assurance of one of those players before using the amnesty pill. So yes, they've made a few mistakes, but all of them calculated I believe.

Totally agree with you on the Barnes pick. The big reason I haven't really faulted the FO for taking Barnes over Dummond as it made sense need wise like you said. They had a big hole at SF and they filled it with a lower ceiling player. However I do disagree with you on Drummond getting the opportunity. Festus started what, 40 games in his rookie season?? Drummond flashed instantly in the NBA.

I understand they were looking to make a splash with Iggy but the collective moves as whole just didn't make sense. Felt kind of like they were just winging it on the fly with no thought for the future. IE not taking the BPA with Drummond, getting the Spurs pick for taking on Jefferson, Then a year later they traded three first rounders and what seems like a million seconds to dump Jefferson and Beidrins. They then used all the cap space they got from that on a SF who they had to know would block Barnes development even though they had just spent the 7th pick on him and he'd killed it in the playoffs.

Call me crazy but for an organization that prides themselves on smarts, they certainly didn't seem to have a long term plan and the moves they made just don't add up in my opinion when you look at them from a birds eye view.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#42 » by turk3d » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Well without having a crystal ball, I don't think that you could possibly know that Bogut would miss so many games (would they have still made that trade had they known that Bogut would still be having so many injury problems?). Maybe, maybe not. And again don't discount Biedrins (who was still with the team at the time and they still had hopes for) so going into the season, Drummond would have been projected as a 3rd stringer (which Ezeli was a project and ideal for). Also, culture wise I believe that there would have been some challenges for Drummond (labeled immature coming into the league) which he didn't seem to have over in Detroit.

And in hindsight (all we have to go on), I'm really glad they made that move (although expensive) to move Jefferson and get Festus who's proving to likely be a very solid Center in this league for years to come. Moves weren't that bad, some panned out, a few didn't. But heck, a rookie owner, rookie GM and 2 rookie coaches. I'd say they've done pretty darn well for my money. 2nd best FO in the league these days, lol.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#43 » by Mylie10 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

I don't think Monroe would be a bad fit for this system...at Georgetown they ran everything through him out of the high post. He's an excellent passer and good rebounder. You could play him with Bogut or with Green.....he'd fit fine.

The problem I see is that if we had drafted him instead of Udoh, we may not have gone after Bogut. So as much as I hated the Udoh pick....it worked out based on the Monta trade.

By the way, I also believe that Bogut is the bigger reason why we didn't draft Drummond. The team wanted play now rookies and Barnes, Green, and Ezeli were those types. In trying to change the culture, drafting a project big in Drummond when you just got Bogut, is probably why we ended up with Barnes.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#44 » by Warriorfan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:43 am

It's always easy to have hindsite.

Ezeli started 41 games his rookie year and I think can become 80pct the player Drummond is that 20pct being the ultimate althleticsm.

Without Barnes and Drummond being less devoted playing behind Bogut or Bogus not being on the teams the chemistry of this best team in the NBA would be gone.

I think if anything we are trading D Lee for a player with 2 yrs left like Carl Landry or Calderon.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Re: 

Post#45 » by old rem » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:54 am

Kuya wrote:Brandon Rush making too much money
Assuming that he can't do more than he has.. he's apt to be bought off. figure we likely have a draft pick. figure Dray costs $10-12 mill per.

50-50 chance we get a useful deal on Lee or Iggy...and we likely ...at BEST only save a few mill for now. There's a big difference between POSSIBLE.......and PROBABLE. Probable is we are well over cap, that the roster is mostly..what is is now. I figure there's a drafted rookie, Rush is gone and McAdoo and-or Barbosa can be gone. Lee or Iggy might get traded for who knows what but.. don't assume it. My hunch is we get pretty far in Lux tax for a year but try to both WIN a lot.. and not rack up long run cap damage. I assume the front office "gets it". The agenda is to stay a TOP team and to NOT go too far into lux Tax. What can be done/ That's uncertain.
CENSORED... No comment.
cj03
Starter
And1: 154

Post#46 » by cj03 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:20 am

Warriorfan wrote:It's always easy to have hindsite.

Ezeli started 41 games his rookie year and I think can become 80pct the player Drummond is that 20pct being the ultimate althleticsm.

Without Barnes and Drummond being less devoted playing behind Bogut or Bogus not being on the teams the chemistry of this best team in the NBA would be gone.

I think if anything we are trading D Lee for a player with 2 yrs left like Carl Landry or Calderon.

Ezeli is showing signs that he could become 80% of Drummond. His hands look better, and one huge thing he has over Drum: FREE THROWS. Drum is just atrocious from the line. Ezeli is shooting at a solid 60% clip. I just hope Ezeli can stay healthy, although Drum has his own injury concerns with that back. Ezeli can be a factor for this team now, and he can become a legit starting C in the future when Bogut winds down his career.

Return to Golden State Warriors