ImageImageImageImageImage

Barnes contract extension

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Re: Barnes contract extension 

Post#101 » by jeroka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:42 am

someone will overpay Barnes, and he'll leave the GSW to take on that challenge... it's almost as good as a done deal. which team that would be is the real question.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Re: Re: Barnes contract extension 

Post#102 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:13 am

jeroka wrote:someone will overpay Barnes, and he'll leave the GSW to take on that challenge... it's almost as good as a done deal. which team that would be is the real question.
Why is it exactly? We are willing to pay our main core as it's shown.

I see no reason why Barnes goes anywhere
jeroka
Sophomore

Re: Re: Barnes contract extension 

Post#103 » by jeroka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:46 am

NBAfan3024 wrote:
jeroka wrote:someone will overpay Barnes, and he'll leave the GSW to take on that challenge... it's almost as good as a done deal. which team that would be is the real question.

let's say GSW decides to pay Barnes... one thing that would pique the interest of Barnes, other than money, would be PT and the chance to be the "man". With the difference in the max somewhat covered by the difference in state taxes (Texas, Florida), the opportunity to be the top dog for your "own" team and earn a legacy would be hard to pass up.

the Barnes situation reminds me of the OKC situation... with Durant and Westbrook clearly top 2 on the team, Harden decided to bolt to Houston. Howard did the same with the Lakers and DeAndre Jordan almost did the same thing with the Clippers, until he fell back to Earth and realized his worth as a basketball player.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Re: Re: Re: Barnes contract extension 

Post#104 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:02 pm

jeroka wrote:
NBAfan3024 wrote:

let's say GSW decides to pay Barnes... one thing that would pique the interest of Barnes, other than money, would be PT and the chance to be the "man". With the difference in the max somewhat covered by the difference in state taxes (Texas, Florida), the opportunity to be the top dog for your "own" team and earn a legacy would be hard to pass up.

the Barnes situation reminds me of the OKC situation... with Durant and Westbrook clearly top 2 on the team, Harden decided to bolt to Houston. Howard did the same with the Lakers and DeAndre Jordan almost did the same thing with the Clippers, until he fell back to Earth and realized his worth as a basketball player.
you really think Barnes gets to that level though? I can't see where he ever becomes the man on a top team
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#105 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Barnes doesn't have the skillset to be a first option on offense.
He's a good role player and he it seems he's understanding his role with Kerr. Don't break what's working.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#106 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:50 am

jeroka
Sophomore

Re: Re: Re: Barnes contract extension 

Post#107 » by jeroka » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:
jeroka wrote:
NBAfan3024 wrote: Why is it exactly? We are willing to pay our main core as it's shown.

you really think Barnes gets to that level though? I can't see where he ever becomes the man on a top team

Barnes was highly recruited out of HS. I think he has the tools to be #1 option of a mid-tier team... much like Harden was, until Howard came, that was when they both put the Rockets with the elite in the NBA... I would not be surprised if some team makes an offer to make Barnes their #1 guy... again, similar to the deal the Mavs offered Jordan...
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#108 » by likashing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Similar things were said before Klay extended and Draymond re-signed. Klay won't get max blah blah blah... Draymond will not get $15m+ blah blah blah...

Now this Barnes isn't worth more than $10m per year...

HB probably has $60m for 4 years in his mind right now.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.

Return to Golden State Warriors