ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade announced: Gerald Wallace for Jason Thompson

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Bandito
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Re: Trade announced: Gerald Wallace for Jason Thompson 

Post#21 » by Bandito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Replacement level player. More useful than Wallace though, and not quite the defensive liability Lee was. Meh.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#22 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

statsman wrote:
Badly Browned wrote:I've also read the Warriors have a $3m TPE now or was the Philly using their TPE? Reading lots of confusing things right now lol

Warriors receive a $3.2M TPE in the deal. That's on top of the $5.4M TPE for the Lee-Wallace trade.

GW makes 10.1, JT makes 6.4, how do we land on 3.2m?
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#23 » by Badly Browned » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:32 pm

statsman wrote:
Badly Browned wrote:I've also read the Warriors have a $3m TPE now or was the Philly using their TPE? Reading lots of confusing things right now lol

Warriors receive a $3.7M TPE in the deal. That's on top of the $5.4M TPE for the Lee-Wallace trade.

Gotcha. Thanks. :D
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#24 » by statsman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 pm

FNQ wrote:
statsman wrote:

Warriors receive a $3.2M TPE in the deal. That's on top of the $5.4M TPE for the Lee-Wallace trade.

I was using basketballinsiders.com's numbers, which has him at $6.9M. I love the accuracy of their numbers, but recently they started adding in things like incentive clauses to the totals which confuses things. Most articles state $6.4M, so let's go with that. I updated my post just prior to your comment on my original statement.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,505

Post#25 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 pm

I think JT will play C more than PF, imo. He'll fit nicely next to green if bogut is out or on the bench
statsman
Analyst

Post#26 » by statsman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 pm

Another $10.6M in savings ($3.7M in salary, $6.9M in the luxury tax).
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,596

Re: 

Post#27 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:38 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:I think JT will play C more than PF, imo. He'll fit nicely next to green if bogut is out or on the bench

That's Ezeli's job....It'll be interesting how Kerr manages the minutes between him and JT. Warriors front court seems crowded all the sudden.
Bandito
Pro Prospect

Re: 

Post#28 » by Bandito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:40 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:I think JT will play C more than PF, imo. He'll fit nicely next to green if bogut is out or on the bench

No way is he passing Ezeli, or Speights for that matter. You might be right that he is injury insurance for the center position, considering Bogut, Ezeli, and Speights have all had their issues.

Just another big that gives us another look, IMO. He's most likely here for his rebounding.
californiadude
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Trade announced: Gerald Wallace for Jason Thompson 

Post#29 » by californiadude » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Well looks like we gave up a pick swap to make it happen. Philly has the right to swap the lesser of OKC's and Miami's first rounders. Barring injury that can't be too bad.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#30 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Highly doubt Thompson sees minutes at C, if he sees minutes, it'll be at PF when Kerr feels the need to go big.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Re: Re: 

Post#31 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 pm

The Regime wrote:

That's Ezeli's job....It'll be interesting how Kerr manages the minutes between him and JT. Warriors front court seems crowded all the sudden.

Just how I like it. The more competition the better.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,596

Re: Re: 

Post#32 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Bandito wrote:

No way is he passing Ezeli, or Speights for that matter. You might be right that he is injury insurance for the center position, considering Bogut, Ezeli, and Speights have all had their issues.

Just another big that gives us another look, IMO. He's most likely here for his rebounding.

I think Speights could be the odd man out on most nights. Just don't think he's consistent enough to be a everyday rotation player. Let's not forget that JT was a longtime starter for the Kings (regardless of how bad they were) so he certainly is talented enough to beat out guys that may already have a niche on this team.
statsman
Analyst

Post#33 » by statsman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:50 pm

FNQ wrote:
statsman wrote:

On second thought, JT has a 5% trade kicker. That explains some of the differences I am seeing in the reported numbers. Not really sure the final cap hit to the Warriors.
statsman
Analyst

Post#34 » by statsman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 pm

californiadude wrote:Well looks like we gave up a pick swap to make it happen. Philly has the right to swap the lesser of OKC's and Miami's first rounders. Barring injury that can't be too bad.

So, if the Warriors have a low draft pick (better record) than the Heat and the Thunder, no pick trade?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#35 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 pm

californiadude wrote:Well looks like we gave up a pick swap to make it happen. Philly has the right to swap the lesser of OKC's and Miami's first rounders. Barring injury that can't be too bad.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Do you know which year? If we continue to have a strong team with strong records, those pick swaps won't even happen because we'll have the better record, or they're going to be practically no difference.....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,505

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#36 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Bandito wrote:

JT is better than speights
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:54 pm

statsman wrote:
FNQ wrote:
statsman wrote:Warriors receive a $3.2M TPE in the deal. That's on top of the $5.4M TPE for the Lee-Wallace trade.

On second thought, JT has a 5% trace kicker. That explains some of the differences I am seeing in the reported numbers. Not really sure the final cap hit to the Warriors.

Yeah. Long run, its a TE that likely goes unused anyways. End game: we saved money and got an arguably better talent than Lee, all due to an unlikely pick swap in 2016. Myers is pretty damn saavy.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
Bandito wrote:

TBD.

If it were definitely true, he wouldn't be shuttled out for an unlikely pick swap. A cursory look at the stats has Speights as a higher volume scorer (by a lot - though JT is more efficient), a slightly better rebounder, a better rim protector, and an overall better defender. These are career #s, too.

But Thompson has always been in unfortunate situations, so it remains to be seen.
Bandito
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by Bandito » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
Bandito wrote:

Nah, not even close. By what measurements did you determine that? Thompson has never played at anywhere near the level Speights played at last season. How do you figure?
statsman
Analyst

Post#40 » by statsman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 pm

FNQ wrote:End game: we saved money and got an arguably better talent than Lee, all due to an unlikely pick swap in 2016. Myers is pretty damn saavy.

If this had been a straight trade of Lee for JT, it would have required either the 2019 #1 pick (unconditionally) and/or Looney. Instead, it might result in a slightly worse draft pick for 2016.

Return to Golden State Warriors