ImageImageImageImageImage

Looney hip surgery 8/20, out 4-6 months

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Looney hip surgery 8/20, out 4-6 months 

Post#1 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Surprised nobody has posted on this, as it hit the news yesterday. I'm posting from an iPad, so adding links isn't straightforward, but a simple search can pull up the story for people.

So it looks like Looney underwent "successful" surgery for a torn labrum in his hip (hmmm.... I thought the labrum was in the shoulder, guess I need to bone up on my anatomy...) and will be out a reported 4-6 months. I'm fine with that, think it's the right move to be proactive on a surgery which seemed necessary eventually. In my opinion, it's too early to say it's successful, I'll deem it that when he's back on the court in a reasonable time, producing without limitations....

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Re: Looney hip surgery 8/20, out 4-6 months 

Post#2 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:42 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:Surprised nobody has posted on this, as it hit the news yesterday. I'm posting from an iPad, so adding links isn't straightforward, but a simple search can pull up the story for people.

So it looks like Looney underwent "successful" surgery for a torn labrum in his hip (hmmm.... I thought the labrum was in the shoulder, guess I need to bone up on my anatomy...) and will be out a reported 4-6 months. I'm fine with that, think it's the right move to be proactive on a surgery which seemed necessary eventually. In my opinion, it's too early to say it's successful, I'll deem it that when he's back on the court in a reasonable time, producing without limitations....

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

It was posted in the sticky for him being drafted to us.

if you live through surgery, they claim it successful :D

I had heard he was going to have surgery shortly after we drafted him. How true that was.. he was rumored to have wanted to play in the summer league, to get to know some of the coaches and players. And got approval to play from his doctors, who informed him that playing wouldn't hurt the injury anymore or jeopardize his career.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:00 am

You know he played the entire college season with the injury....so it's not like Summer League was any more of a risk than the entire college year.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#4 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:45 am

Left*My*Heart wrote:It was posted in the sticky for him being drafted to us.

Whoops, my bad. I didn't see the little "highlight" indicating there was anything new in that thread. Not sure how to lock the thread, but we can do so here.....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#5 » by HiRez » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:02 am

Well yes, good he got it done, but wish he would have gotten it done sooner so he didn't miss as much of the season. Maybe it's something that just turned up and they couldn't do it sooner, but athletes often wait too long and miss more of the season than they have to.

Then again, maybe this will mean he gets more "cerebral training" on how the Warriors system works before having to perform in it. Maybe easier to pick up some things watching others do it repeatedly.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#6 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Looney can red shirt, he was unlikely to get much playing time anyway... this is why we were able to get a lottery pick at the end of the draft.
soda
Junior
And1: 445

Post#7 » by soda » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

Question about this, because you seem like a doctor, but....

last year, I underwent surgery to fix something. That something got fixed, mostly, but there was a huge complication to the surgery that required a second surgery. Was the first surgery "successful" or only "mostly successful, but still a little buggy"? I ask because you hear about athletes who undergo successful surgery only to need further surgery to fix something that the successful surgery didn't catch.

I've always found the phrase "successful surgery" to be a bit of a misnomer. How do you know if it was successful or not until some time passes and you can observe? If "successful" just means you lived through it, than shouldn't it be "still alive, after surgery" or something?
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#8 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:14 pm

soda wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

Question about this, because you seem like a doctor, but....

last year, I underwent surgery to fix something. That something got fixed, mostly, but there was a huge complication to the surgery that required a second surgery. Was the first surgery "successful" or only "mostly successful, but still a little buggy"? I ask because you hear about athletes who undergo successful surgery only to need further surgery to fix something that the successful surgery didn't catch.

I've always found the phrase "successful surgery" to be a bit of a misnomer. How do you know if it was successful or not until some time passes and you can observe? If "successful" just means you lived through it, than shouldn't it be "still alive, after surgery" or something?

I'm not a doctor LOL. Though I was being sarcastic with my living comment, there is a difference between the meaning of successful to the medical practitioners and the patient. According to doctors and nurses I have talked to, successful to them means they had no complications during surgery and the surgery went as planned. It does not mean that the surgery was actually successful to correct the problem the surgery was meant to. There are factors outside their control, healing ability, other underlining health factors, patients rehabbing, genetics and on and on...

The doc would claim your first surgery was successful. My wife had surgery on a bunion and the doctor claims that original surgery was successful, though the pin he drove into the side of her foot, broke a divot out of her bone and ended up facing the opposite direction and breaking the joint of her big toe. He claims the surgery was successful and it was all my wife's fault or faulty hardware. Out of respect for my wife and her wishes, I did not pursue anything against the doctor...or at least just yet. I did ask the doctor how logical it was that my wife's injury happened after surgery and if he could explain to me how a divot was created at the point the pin was driven and how the pin ended up where it did? He responded in anger, "The surgery was successful and it had to be faulty hardware or your wife did something".
Lone Star
Junior
And1: 51

Post#9 » by Lone Star » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:35 pm

I hope this changes some of the opinions I have been reading about him. First, I think this shows he is very tough and loves to play. Second, this explains why he was moving like an old man and was getting winded so quickly. Lastly an injury history or questionable game seem to apply to every player on the Dubs, so Looney should fit right in.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#10 » by Quazza » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:01 am

why did he play at all. If we knew about the injury, shouldn't he have been in for surgery ASAP?
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#11 » by OptionZero » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:56 am

Its a situation where playing short term wouldn't make it worse, but eventually would need to be fixed. Not like a month or two would make a huge different anyways now. He wasn't gonna have a role this year even if healthy, with Speights, Ezeli, and Thompson getting all the reserve minutes at the 4/5.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#12 » by Mylie10 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Quazza wrote:why did he play at all. If we knew about the injury, shouldn't he have been in for surgery ASAP?

The Warriors wanted to see him in action and playing somewhat within their style. He played the entire college season with the hip injury. He said the only time it had affect was if he fell on it, so there wasnt much pain attached to it....at least that's what he has stated.

Now the Warriors have an idea and a plan for him. We don't really need him this season, but as contracts end, and guys move on, then having Looney waiting in the wings next season and beyond is a nice piece to have.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors