ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Rumors (On CSN Bay Area): Harrison Barnes for..

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Re: Trade Rumors (On CSN Bay Area): Harrison Barnes for.. 

Post#141 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:53 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I will know Barnes has fully arrived when he truly owns the scoring load in that second unit. Consistent go to scoring with that unit is something the team needs and he could potentially be that guy. But it has to be efficient.

That's a great call. The test for me is when Barnes is out with a non-scoring second unit and continues to defer or can't get his offensive game going.

Much of it is the offense...and the sharing the ball theme. But I would love to see Barnes given the ball and MADE to be the first option now and then....at least to see if he can really be that kind of option.....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#142 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:04 am

CCComboBreaker wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:
You're delusional. 2nd best player? Before who? Draymond, Iguodala and Klay? LOL!

Barnes isn't a better player than Dray or Dre.

But this year he's been better than Klay, and I've seen saying this for some time now.

Iggy? LOL! We put that to bed a long time ago. Iggy was the starter= first round exit. Barnes is the starter= world title and 14-0 so far this year. Iggy is a 10 ppg player at this point. Barnes is better, cut it out.

You need to chill out. I think you just popped a pimple.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#143 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:25 am

CCComboBreaker wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:
You're delusional. 2nd best player? Before who? Draymond, Iguodala and Klay? LOL!

But this year he's been better than Klay, and I've seen saying this for some time now.

Iggy? LOL! We put that to bed a long time ago. Iggy was the starter= first round exit. Barnes is the starter= world title and 14-0 so far this year. Iggy is a 10 ppg player at this point. Barnes is better, cut it out.

When are you gonna grow up and be serious. Barnes has yet to have the full impact Iguodala does. Barnes is trending nicely and has had some nice games, but he can't guard LeBron, he wouldn't lead the league in plus minus for bench guys, and if Iguodala started all last year we still would have won the title....oops maybe not because Barnes wouldn't have been able to handle being a bench player without sulking.

Seriously let's have some rational convos when it comes to Barnes shall we.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#144 » by BROWN » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:08 am

Great strides and progression by Barnes, but he is absolutely not the 2nd or 3rd best player on this team. Steph/Dray/Iggy all have had a much more positive impact then Barnes. Barnes would be at the same level as Klay right now, but I don't see that continuing, I think Klay comes back to his natural self.
Manute Lol
Sixth Man
And1: 2,252

Post#145 » by Manute Lol » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
CCComboBreaker wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

When are you gonna grow up and be serious. Barnes has yet to have the full impact Iguodala does. Barnes is trending nicely and has had some nice games, but he can't guard LeBron, he wouldn't lead the league in plus minus for bench guys, and if Iguodala started all last year we still would have won the title....oops maybe not because Barnes wouldn't have been able to handle being a bench player without sulking.

I think there is a pretty good argument that Barnes starting was what allowed Iguodala to conserve energy, and play as well as he did when it mattered most. Andre is the better player at this point (he's sort of like our Ginobili), but he is also the older one, and cannot be relied on to carry the load that Barnes carries, both in terms of minutes and in terms of banging with 4s in smallball lineups. They are two halves of a good whole at the SF position; neither would be as valuable to the team without the other.
antistrat wrote:What Golden State isn't realizing is that their offense has been neutralized. It isn't coming back. Cleveland is too long, too athletic, too fast, too gritty and too smart as a team.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#146 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Manute Lol wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
CCComboBreaker wrote:

I think there is a pretty good argument that Barnes starting was what allowed Iguodala to conserve energy, and play as well as he did when it mattered most. Andre is the better player at this point (he's sort of like our Ginobili), but he is also the older one, and cannot be relied on to carry the load that Barnes carries, both in terms of minutes and in terms of banging with 4s in smallball lineups. They are two halves of a good whole at the SF position; neither would be as valuable to the team without the other.

Barnes real value is playing PF in the small ball lineup. Dre is more valuable to the team with or without Barnes. I think Barnes starting was strictly a benefit to Barnes and his apparent fragile ego. It was also way to hide his inefficiencies with the starters, which were exposed when he came off the bench. Dre was on the court during all critical minutes of the game, while Barnes was typically on the bench.
Manute Lol
Sixth Man

Post#147 » by Manute Lol » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:12 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:
Manute Lol wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Barnes real value is playing PF in the small ball lineup. Dre is more valuable to the team with or without Barnes. I think Barnes starting was strictly a benefit to Barnes and his apparent fragile ego. It was also way to hide his inefficiencies with the starters, which were exposed when he came off the bench. Dre was on the court during all critical minutes of the game, while Barnes was typically on the bench.

During the most critical minutes of the entire season (games 4-6 against Memphis and Cleveland), they were both out there a lot of the time.
antistrat wrote:What Golden State isn't realizing is that their offense has been neutralized. It isn't coming back. Cleveland is too long, too athletic, too fast, too gritty and too smart as a team.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#148 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Manute Lol wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:
Manute Lol wrote:I think there is a pretty good argument that Barnes starting was what allowed Iguodala to conserve energy, and play as well as he did when it mattered most. Andre is the better player at this point (he's sort of like our Ginobili), but he is also the older one, and cannot be relied on to carry the load that Barnes carries, both in terms of minutes and in terms of banging with 4s in smallball lineups. They are two halves of a good whole at the SF position; neither would be as valuable to the team without the other.

During the most critical minutes of the entire season (games 4-6 against Memphis and Cleveland), they were both out there a lot of the time.

Dre is always on the court during critical junctures, the same can't be said about Barnes.
BIG FURB
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#149 » by BIG FURB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:
Manute Lol wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:Barnes real value is playing PF in the small ball lineup. Dre is more valuable to the team with or without Barnes. I think Barnes starting was strictly a benefit to Barnes and his apparent fragile ego. It was also way to hide his inefficiencies with the starters, which were exposed when he came off the bench. Dre was on the court during all critical minutes of the game, while Barnes was typically on the bench.

Dre is always on the court during critical junctures, the same can't be said about Barnes.

Who cares, both guys are needed out there in that lethal small ball lineup. I'm pretty sure the coaches don't have Barnes out there to "stroke his fragile ego" or crap like that. They trying to win games and clearly they believe he helps with that. The results speak for themselves
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#150 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Manute Lol wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
CCComboBreaker wrote:

Barnes improving no doubt has allowed Iguodala to conserve his energy a bit. I give you that. And Iguodala being healthy has allowed him to play at a top level. But I was responding to what CC said above bolded in red. Barnes is playing much better and is great in the small ball lineup, but Iguodala is still the better player when you look at it as a whole. That's not a knock on Barnes....but CC needs to stop trolling with this stuff.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#151 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:21 pm

BIG FURB wrote:
Left*My*Heart wrote:
Manute Lol wrote:During the most critical minutes of the entire season (games 4-6 against Memphis and Cleveland), they were both out there a lot of the time.

Who cares, both guys are needed out there in that lethal small ball lineup. I'm pretty sure the coaches don't have Barnes out there to "stroke his fragile ego" or crap like that. They trying to win games and clearly they believe he helps with that. The results speak for themselves

I agree, that Barnes and Dre are needed in the small ball lineup. I disagree that Barnes wasn't butt hurt over not starting. He lost confidence coming off the bench and never really regained it. Kerr saw that Barnes needed to start and made the adjustment to bring Dre off the bench. Even Iguodala struggled at the beginning of last season coming off the bench. Kerr has done an outstanding job of stroking egos and keeping everyone happy and that isn't easy. It is crap and it goes on. The coaches who can relate to players and can talk to them and help them by reaching out to them are successful. Kerr is able to do that and so is Walton. Ego, confidence and the crap like that is part of the game and team sports. The days of chewing a player out and benching them is over. Winning games is the bottom line, but getting everyone to buy in is extremely important.

What I was initially challenging is the notion that Barnes contribution to the team is as great or greater than Dre's.

Barnes is having a good start to the season and was a huge contributer to us winning a title. This season he has been more aggressive and plays like a guy playing for his next contract. But I think we are forgetting the majority of last season, the seasons before and a lot of the playoffs last season, who Barnes is. A guy who was put into an ideal position as a starter, where he didn't have to carry his team and where he didn't have to be the guy. A guy who goes MIA way too often. The advent of the small ball lineup and moving him to PF is what makes him special. That is worth a lot to this team, but then what is his true market value?

So if Boston throws 20 mil a season at him, do we match? I say no.

It's going to be an interesting off season.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#152 » by Mylie10 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Like I keep saying Heart.....if Barnes can be that main scorer, with good efficiency, on the second unit, with solid consistency, then I think you pay him. That is the piece we're hoping for.

Yes 20 mil is an essload, but I think with his age, and with consistency, you pony up and pay the dude.

But its a long season and things need to fully shake out.
Khoee wrote “
Manute Lol
Sixth Man

Post#153 » by Manute Lol » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:So if Boston throws 20 mil a season at him, do we match? I say no.

If his current form holds? Yes, absolutely. Even if you don't want to keep Barnes at that price, he'd still be a tradeable asset in an offseason where teams have more cap room than they know what to do with. One year into the contract, even a 20 million dollar deal is only 18% of a 108 million dollar cap - so about 13 million in today's (70 mil cap) dollars. Is Barnes on current form worth 13 million this season? It's not a bargain, but yes, he is.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#154 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:41 pm

This is from our REALGM news:

Mark Cuban was asked about how the NBA's escalating salary cap will change the way rosters are built.

“It’s going to change a lot," said Cuban. "More from a strategy perspective, it makes the value of draft choices go through the roof because they’re pegged at a certain price. Minimum contracts will go through the roof. Anybody that signs for the mid-level, the value goes through the roof.

“It’s going to be a lot of tough decisions. And in reality, if everything sticks to the projections that we come up with, the cap will go down after that. So that changes what you do as well.

“It will be really interesting. There will be some guys that will get way paid. When guys are making $30 million-plus, it’s going to be tough to have more than one of them.”
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#155 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Crazy how many people here actually know Harrison and can speak about how he felt. Pick a side. He was butthurt not starting or he wasn't butthurt not starting. However you feel, you have no idea. Could it be, his play that season, coming off the bench with mark Jackson suffered because of the plays that were called for him? Iso iso Iso. That he wasn't getting the coaching he is receiving now? maybe he's just improved? Could be. Either way, his play is crucial for the Warriors success. Iggy is without a doubt a more important piece due to his defensive ability and passing. Draymond is a much better player as well. That being said, Barnes all around ability as expanded immensely IMO and his ability to play the 4 in the small ball lineup while defending everyone from the PG to the center is a reason our small ball lineup is so effective. teams really have to think twice about doubling steph at the end of the game because of our ball movement and Barnes ability to pull out that dagger. He's been the guy that leads the 2nd unit on the offensive end in the beginning of the 4th while steph and klay are on the bench (while some here say he's not able to do that). His efficiency and usage with the splash bros on the bench is impressive. In the first game vs the clippers, he went on a 10-0 run to get us back in the game. similar production in the 2nd game vs the clippers. Daggers vs the Bulls. He's been a clutch performer. Not sure why people are so salty (other than CCs ridiculous comments). Love the guy while he's a dub. If he leaves, he'll be missed
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#156 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Like I keep saying Heart.....if Barnes can be that main scorer, with good efficiency, on the second unit, with solid consistency, then I think you pay him. That is the piece we're hoping for.

Yes 20 mil is an essload, but I think with his age, and with consistency, you pony up and pay the dude.

But its a long season and things need to fully shake out.

I don't and my reason is the salary cap. Cuban has come out and states you can't have more one guy making 30 mil, because everyone is going to be paid more. Rookie scale goes up, vet minimum goes up and so on. I think it is a hard decision to match a 20 mil.offer. The front office has said(as much as they can say) they are going to pursue Durant this off season. Signing Barnes for 20 mil probably means losing both Dre and Bogut. I think it would be a huge mistake to take Barnes(contract year) over Dre.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM

Post#157 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:05 pm

Black Falcon wrote:Crazy how many people here actually know Harrison and can speak about how he felt. Pick a side. He was butthurt not starting or he wasn't butthurt not starting. However you feel, you have no idea. Could it be, his play that season, coming off the bench with mark Jackson suffered because of the plays that were called for him? Iso iso Iso. That he wasn't getting the coaching he is receiving now? maybe he's just improved? Could be. Either way, his play is crucial for the Warriors success. Iggy is without a doubt a more important piece due to his defensive ability and passing. Draymond is a much better player as well. That being said, Barnes all around ability as expanded immensely IMO and his ability to play the 4 in the small ball lineup while defending everyone from the PG to the center is a reason our small ball lineup is so effective. teams really have to think twice about doubling steph at the end of the game because of our ball movement and Barnes ability to pull out that dagger. He's been the guy that leads the 2nd unit on the offensive end in the beginning of the 4th while steph and klay are on the bench (while some here say he's not able to do that). His efficiency and usage with the splash bros on the bench is impressive. In the first game vs the clippers, he went on a 10-0 run to get us back in the game. similar production in the 2nd game vs the clippers. Daggers vs the Bulls. He's been a clutch performer. Not sure why people are so salty (other than CCs ridiculous comments). Love the guy while he's a dub. If he leaves, he'll be missed

How about he didn't handle coming off the bench very well? Call it what you want, but confidence and putting him in a situation where he was expected to help carry the bench wasn't good for him.

I'm really liking what I see from Barnes this season. He is being a lot more aggressive and is taking on more of a load. He is shooting the ball all over the floor now, instead of just the corner 3. He is hitting the clutch shots. He is showing us why the front office drafted him.

However, I can't help but think of the player who IMO let us down a lot in the past. I am also guarded about guys who play significantly better on their contract years. I hope he has finally "gotten" it and he can be someone we can count on when needed. Barnes plays a significant role for us and I understand that. Even if he only played PF for us during small ball lineups, would be significant enough.

But is he worth 20 mil? I was freaking out about 16 mi and granted that is only 4 mil more, it is 4 mil that we can't pay someone else.

So my question is; has Barnes turned the corner and has become a consistent efficient player that is worth 20 mil a year? If he continues on this pace for the remainder of the season, I would guess Durant becomes a non issue and Barnes is the answer long term.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#158 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Barnes is still really limited on offense. Others need to create for him. He has a couple moves to get to the rim now, but he's still pretty easy to shut down. I think last night was the first time I've ever seen him get hot and make 3 or 4 shots in a row. He's just not a major offensive weapon. That's why after 4 years his career high is still like 25 points. The guy trying to claim he's the 2nd option is delusional. Klay is literally better in every facet of the game except athletic ability, Draymond and Andre are irreplaceable all around players, and even Livingston can create more offense than Barnes. I'm glad to have him because he fits well with what we're doing and he plays within himself, but if we lost him I don't think it would be that big of deal.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#159 » by likashing » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:This is from our REALGM news:

Mark Cuban was asked about how the NBA's escalating salary cap will change the way rosters are built.

“It’s going to change a lot," said Cuban. "More from a strategy perspective, it makes the value of draft choices go through the roof because they’re pegged at a certain price. Minimum contracts will go through the roof. Anybody that signs for the mid-level, the value goes through the roof.

“It’s going to be a lot of tough decisions. And in reality, if everything sticks to the projections that we come up with, the cap will go down after that. So that changes what you do as well.

“It will be really interesting. There will be some guys that will get way paid. When guys are making $30 million-plus, it’s going to be tough to have more than one of them.”

The % of cap for max contracts doesn't change until the next CBA. 25%/30%/35%

He is correct that the min salary and rookie contracts will become more valuable because those salary numbers are pre-determined and not pegged to the cap. However, those numbers are minimal compared to the big contracts and don't move the needle in terms of how many max players you can keep.

You cannot keep more than 2 or at most 3 players at max, because it is at a %, no matter the cap # is. It was the same case before the upcoming salary cap # jump. Nothing new. All this from a dude that pays Matthews $70m. Also, only 10+ year vets can get ~$30m salaries... Even Durant can't get it next season.

Cuban is worrying about stuff that won't happen for him (having a $30m+ star willing to join his team).
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#160 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:Crazy how many people here actually know Harrison and can speak about how he felt. Pick a side. He was butthurt not starting or he wasn't butthurt not starting. However you feel, you have no idea. Could it be, his play that season, coming off the bench with mark Jackson suffered because of the plays that were called for him? Iso iso Iso. That he wasn't getting the coaching he is receiving now? maybe he's just improved? Could be. Either way, his play is crucial for the Warriors success. Iggy is without a doubt a more important piece due to his defensive ability and passing. Draymond is a much better player as well. That being said, Barnes all around ability as expanded immensely IMO and his ability to play the 4 in the small ball lineup while defending everyone from the PG to the center is a reason our small ball lineup is so effective. teams really have to think twice about doubling steph at the end of the game because of our ball movement and Barnes ability to pull out that dagger. He's been the guy that leads the 2nd unit on the offensive end in the beginning of the 4th while steph and klay are on the bench (while some here say he's not able to do that). His efficiency and usage with the splash bros on the bench is impressive. In the first game vs the clippers, he went on a 10-0 run to get us back in the game. similar production in the 2nd game vs the clippers. Daggers vs the Bulls. He's been a clutch performer. Not sure why people are so salty (other than CCs ridiculous comments). Love the guy while he's a dub. If he leaves, he'll be missed

How about he didn't handle coming off the bench very well? Call it what you want, but confidence and putting him in a situation where he was expected to help carry the bench wasn't good for him.

I'm really liking what I see from Barnes this season. He is being a lot more aggressive and is taking on more of a load. He is shooting the ball all over the floor now, instead of just the corner 3. He is hitting the clutch shots. He is showing us why the front office drafted him.

However, I can't help but think of the player who IMO let us down a lot in the past. I am also guarded about guys who play significantly better on their contract years. I hope he has finally "gotten" it and he can be someone we can count on when needed. Barnes plays a significant role for us and I understand that. Even if he only played PF for us during small ball lineups, would be significant enough.

But is he worth 20 mil? I was freaking out about 16 mi and granted that is only 4 mil more, it is 4 mil that we can't pay someone else.

So my question is; has Barnes turned the corner and has become a consistent efficient player that is worth 20 mil a year? If he continues on this pace for the remainder of the season, I would guess Durant becomes a non issue and Barnes is the answer long term.

No. He's not worth 20 million when compared to what others are making. Is he worth 20 million if they keep this core together and win 5 more titles? I think so. We won't know the answer until years down the road. If they let him go and sign Durant or someone else, they risk ruining the chemistry of a team that is clearly dominant. They could end up even better, but could also be worse. Just because KD is a much better player than Barnes, doesn't mean the team will be better if they sign KD. Those can assume we'd be better, but the answer won't be revealed until years down the road.

Return to Golden State Warriors