ImageImageImageImageImage

Any chance Curry/KD take less for extra cap?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Re: Any chance Curry/KD take less for extra cap? 

Post#41 » by statsman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:I think you're right on that, cause they won't save any money cutting nonguaranteed money after that anyway cause the guarantee deadline is first. That's the last day that they can make changes, but I don't recall when the league actually makes the calculation. Probably July 1 with the audit.

If you're talking about the luxury tax, it is calculated based on team salary on the day of a team's last regular season game, with bonuses (incentive, trade) paid being the primary adjustment to this total.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#42 » by likashing » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Quazza wrote:
likashing wrote:The key is how well can Lacob run this business. If he can raise profit to the Lakers' level ($100m profit), the team can easily afford a $200m payroll (player salaries + lux tax) and still make a huge profit. He is on the right track with a great show (i.e. bigger next Comcast contract, jersey logo contracts, higher ticket prices), and their own arena (profit from side-biz like MSG).

If he gets it right, he doesn't need to nickel and dime on payroll like the other 25-27 or so other teams.

Their group bought the franchise for $450m and the Clippers sold for $2B. Forbes recently valued the Warriors at $1.9B. Maybe do his Wall Street thing and raise some cash with 5-10% of the team at some crazy valuation?

Let's see if he's really light years ahead of others. I happen to think he's on the right track.

surely they are raking it in right now?

For one their Comcast contract is now quite low for the team they are putting forward. I'm not sure when it will expire.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#43 » by Warriorfan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:20 pm

The warriors are about 5th in avg ticket price but 40% below NY and LA Lakers. They are in the 2nd richest market and highest per capita among NBA teams.

All the costs are transfer costs we as fans will pay to support our team
likashing
Head Coach

Post#44 » by likashing » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Warriorfan wrote:The warriors are about 5th in avg ticket price but 40% below NY and LA Lakers. They are in the 2nd richest market and highest per capita among NBA teams.

All the costs are transfer costs we as fans will pay to support our team

Do you think the Dub Show should be instead worth 40% more than the crap NY and LA put on the floor?

I tend to think so...

Edit: also I just found out the Lakers made a profit of $133m in a 2016 report (not $100m...).
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#45 » by wco81 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:45 am

Someone must have asked KD about taking less during this ASG weekend.

They didn't ask Steph? But Dray volunteered that he'd take less. KD didn't commit either way.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244963/Kevin-Durant-Non-Committal-On-Taking-Less-Money-To-Give-Warriors-More-Flexibility
likashing
Head Coach

Post#46 » by likashing » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 am

Seriously I don't think those guys consider these stuff yet. Obviously their own team/agent/managers have all studied the scenarios and have advised them.

For KD he is probably evaluating whether 2018-2020 Iguodala and Livingston are better than vet min scrubs. Also, he isn't sure whether taking $31m will mean those 2 would stay.

It's good the dialogue is out and the players and Myers/Lacob will communicate.

Rough guess is he won't take $5m less to keep Clark and McAdoo. But it might make sense if they keep Iguodala Livingston and Clark, especially if they win the ring and play well in the playoffs.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:24 pm

No chance Curry takes a discount considering he's been playing at one his entire career.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#48 » by michaelm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 am

This is a jinx thread. I personally would like to see no discussion of players taking discounts to keep a great team together unless and until they prove they are a great team by winning the title. If that was the reason KD's response when asked about taking a discount was non committal then Imo it was the proper response.
wco81
RealGM

Post#49 » by wco81 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 8:09 pm

Myers sat down for interview with Zach Lowe on his podcast.

Lowe asked Myers if he's thought about how he's going to handle this summer with the potential to lose a couple of key role players. Myers said that it will be a very difficult summer and that they have prepared but they will deal with it when the time comes. Myers said there will be a lot of free agents this summer, hinting that that fact will complicate their decision making.

Lowe asked about extending Curry and then Green and Thompson a couple of years down the line. Again, Myers said we can't predict and we can only deal with it when the time comes, because we can't even predict what's going to happen at the beginning of a season, such as knowing which players will end up in the buyout market.
wco81
RealGM

Post#50 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 3:35 am

Iggy has a huge game and in the post-game interview, he did note that he's a free agent after the season.

Hmm, don't expect a huge home town discount, especially if he proves his worth the rest of the season and into the playoffs?

Return to Golden State Warriors