ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Kerr playing the right lineups?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Re: Is Kerr the problem? 

Post#61 » by Bball0000 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Impuniti wrote:One of the issues with the bench squad sans McGee is lack of scoring firepower. Ian had it for the first half of the season, but it looks like he's lost it now.

Right, which is why think it's up to Chef ...Kerr to mix the right ingredients.

I've seen Kerr throw out lineups of

McCaw D. Green Iggy Zaza .... of course that lineup will have zero offense. I think the bench depth is fine, Kerr's just gotta mix and match minutes for balance more. I think he's done that the last few games.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#62 » by Mylie10 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Livingston
Clark
Iguodala
Barnes
Zaza/ West

Should be the bench down the road.

Curry
Klay
Durant
Green
McGee

Should be the starting lineup. It allows Javale to get the team running early, and Zaza to play more against bench guys. That bench is very veteran, with only Clark being somewhat of a youngin.

McGee plays really great with Draymond.

Might be the bench to go with.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#63 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Mylie10 wrote:.

Curry
Klay
Durant
Green
McGee

Should be the starting lineup. It allows Javale to get the team running early, and Zaza to play more against bench guys.

Not claiming to know the exact reasoning for keeping Zaza in the starting line-up and some of it might just be because he came here for less money and we need to appreciate our cheap veterans. But I do believe Kerr rolls with Zaza because he is a good passer and a low usage player. At the start of the game with Curry, Klay and normally Durant all on the floor you want to get them going and our guys with McGee just focus on getting him shots at the rim. If that's the concern I understand Kerr's reasoning.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#64 » by Commodor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 pm

The big issue I see is Kerr is almost Don Nelson-esque in his love of small ball. I get that Draymond at center is our most potent line up, but without KD why arent we at least experimenting with more two-big line ups? Draymond/West/Looney/Mcadoo should all be getting more time at the 4. McGee, Zaza, and even Jones should combine for 20-30 min a night (match up depending). We should be resting our guards and SF as much as possible since we are so thin at the position, but no.. time and time again we have to play small... We know it's our go-to crunch time line up, but this point in this season is not considered crunch time IMO.

Plus, as has been said here multiple times, Zaza has no business with the starting unit. with Draymond, Curry and Klay all demanding total attention on offense and Mccaw and Barnes as viable outside threats (and even more so with KD), we need a center that can finish with ease at the basket. Zaza can barely finish a lay up, while McGee consistently finishes everything thrown his way. Also the difference between their athleticism is embarrassing skewed in favor McGee, which brings an entirely new dynamic to our already deadly transition game.

Conversely, the second unit relies on constant ball movement and team basketball with one or two starters supplementing scoring. McGee can play with them, but is much more likely to be out of position or to slow the offense. Zaza excels at being in position and his passing is close to elite. Livingston-Iguodala-West-Zaza should be able to match up with any opponent, and Curry/Klay/KD can also slide in seamlessly as the scoring focal point.

Honestly it doesn't make any sense that Kerr continues to push forward with this strategy. His first signature moves as our HC was to move two all-star level vets to the bench in favor of players that fit together better with the starters(Green n Barnes). Now he seems scared to do the same thing, even though it appears even more obvious that these moves would improve the team.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#65 » by shazam_guy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 am

Somebody delete this, please.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by shazam_guy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:42 am

Bball0000 wrote:1. We can't look at W/L record as the measurement this year. Talent alone is going to demolish the bad and avg teams. Warriors basement is other team's stratosphere, on talent alone. The good regular season record argument (as we saw with the 73 win team last year), however, won't work vs the Cavs and Spurs, only the measurement of an excellent standard of play.

2. It's not mutually exclusive to appreciate these last few great years and still be able to criticize gameplay when it warrants it. This year's different - they're EXPECTED to win a ring. That's the goal right? This isn't a rebuild year right? This isn't a make the 1st or 2nd round year right? Nah this is win it all or it's a disappointment. New expectations = new pressure. So they should hold themselves to that standard - excellence. And the last few games I've seen more signs of great play (even with KD) --- making the extra pass, everyone being in sync on every play, the whole team getting in the zone, etc. Commitment to GREAT basketball wins rings, not just the superstar's heroics. I think when KD got here, he brought kind've an entitlement/expected/inevitable thing to the warriors. Like they're not gonna have to work for a ring. Worst case scenario, Curry or KD or Klay will bail us out right? Nah, that's a dangerous mindset. They still have to prove they can beat the Cavs. Warriors staying humble and hungry and committed to the traits that got them here = multiyear dynasty.

Naw. The criticism far outweighs what's warranted. I'm talking about what happens in game threads -- the rest of the board is far more balanced. But the freaking out in game threads is ridiculous, and the fact that it generates topics like IS KERR THE PROBLEM? is an example of all the relatively new fans on the board who don't understand how much fun it is to have this team now, and who can't be happy unless there's a ring at the end of the year. I think that's sad. We had so many terrible years -- I literally watched the Warriors miss the playoffs for nearly twenty straight years -- that this is ALL fun for me and probably a lot of others, too. I'm sorry for those of you who can't enjoy it that way.

I also disagree with a lot of what you said about "superstar heroics", as well as the idea that only lately have there been signs of great play. In fact, I don't even understand how you could think that, but I'm not going to bother to argue about it. You participate your way, I'll participate mine, and every now and then I'll just shake my head and say, "Y'all are CRAZY."
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by shazam_guy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 am

Don't get me wrong -- I'm a diehard fan too, and I want them to win every frickin' game by huge margins, and I think they have the best chance of any team in the league to win another ring. But there's more to being a fan than just wanting to win it all. The team has done a great job rebuilding from worse than mediocre to championship quality in a few years. As a fan, I appreciate that.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,662

Post#68 » by Coxy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 am

shazam_guy wrote:Don't get me wrong -- I'm a diehard fan too, and I want them to win every frickin' game by huge margins, and I think they have the best chance of any team in the league to win another ring. But there's more to being a fan than just wanting to win it all. The team has done a great job rebuilding from worse than mediocre to championship quality in a few years. As a fan, I appreciate that.

You just need to only read the takes of those you like Shazam. You get so frustrated by negative noise surrounding the team when they play bad by some fickle fans, but that's fandom for you. Just block it out dude. :wink:
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by shazam_guy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 am

Yeah, I'm not as grumpy as I probably sound. For most of them, I'm amused by the overreactions and I just feel sorry that they can't appreciate what we have right now.

God, when I think of the Years of Agony...younger fans don't realize that for some of us really old @#%=ers, Run-TMC back in the 90s was the first decent team we'd had in about fifteen years before THAT point. Then we watched it go to hell with the Webber fiasco, Mitch getting traded, etc. until we sank back into the swamps again, not to emerge until the brief We Believe era, to be quickly followed by more $@%! teams.

Bad times, bad times.

Anyway, like I said, the discussions on the rest of the board are generally fine. It's only the game threads that consistently irritate me, so I'll just make myself less present there. But I do like to see people's real-time takes, especially the funny ones, so I'd hate to give them up totally.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#70 » by Little Digger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 am

There's a problem?
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#71 » by Bball0000 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:55 am

shazam_guy wrote:
Naw. The criticism far outweighs what's warranted. I'm talking about what happens in game threads -- the rest of the board is far more balanced. But the freaking out in game threads is ridiculous, and the fact that it generates topics like IS KERR THE PROBLEM? is an example of all the relatively new fans on the board who don't understand how much fun it is to have this team now, and who can't be happy unless there's a ring at the end of the year. I think that's sad. We had so many terrible years -- I literally watched the Warriors miss the playoffs for nearly twenty straight years -- that this is ALL fun for me and probably a lot of others, too. I'm sorry for those of you who can't enjoy it that way.

I also disagree with a lot of what you said about "superstar heroics", as well as the idea that only lately have there been signs of great play. In fact, I don't even understand how you could think that, but I'm not going to bother to argue about it. You participate your way, I'll participate mine, and every now and then I'll just shake my head and say, "Y'all are CRAZY."

Yeah on this last stretch of games without KD the criticism has picked up. But I'm loving all this winning of course, but it's the playoffs that matter and it's getting closer, hence the W's will need urgency to hit peak performance. What I'm saying with KD is that with all the hype, it seemed to create a sense of inevitability and that under-compensating (aka not playing Warriors basketball) would still be enough to win a ring. And it's anything but a lock - they still gotta pay attention to the details and patch up some of their weaknesses. Defensive reb. will be important in the playoffs, and if Kerr's getting the wings more run than trying a bigger lineup, that's not a good habit to have in case we need a bigger lineup.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#72 » by laika » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm

I strongly disagree with the two most common criticisms.
I make a sharp distinction between complaining about anything that goes wrong and suggestions that have a decent chance to improve the team. I think I'm doing the latter.
No, fans should not just be happy to be good. It's championship or bust this year. The Warriors are the most hated team in the league and a lot of people think their title was a fluke. If the Warriors don't win the championship then things are going to get way worse than they are already. It won't be any sort of consolation that they at least contended for a title.

Time for an update-

Starters-
--------------Min-------On/Off
Green--------365----------23.7
Curry---------367----------15.5
Thompson---378------neg 1.5
Pachulia-----204------neg 4.9
McCaw-------293-----neg 16.3

Bench-
McGee-------95------------13.4
West---------160-------------7.3
Clark---------174-------------4.3
Iguodala-----291------------0.9
Livingston---201------neg 1.5
Barnes-------219-------neg 5.3
McAdoo------77------neg 26.4

The McCaw experiment is still getting terrible results and should be ended now. McAdoo is awful and should be taken out of the rotation entirely. The good news is that Barnes and McGee are playing a whole lot better than the first few games Durant missed. It's past time to give McGee a chance to start. Maybe Pachulia is being entirely dragged down by McCaw. But McGee has been great with the starters nearly all year. In theory Pachulia is better at helping out other teammates and would be better on the bench anyways.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#73 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 pm

laika wrote:The McCaw experiment is still getting terrible results and should be ended now. McAdoo is awful and should be taken out of the rotation entirely.

First of all, you should be more selective regarding which data you use before making such strong claims. It doesn't make sense to include garbage time as it does not help us understand how certain players work under regular circumstances. Also, the Spurs game was an obvious outlier with our top five players not playing - i.e. it doesn't make sense to include the game either.

So let's look at the numbers through the first three quarters and exclude the game against the Spurs for both the on- and off-court numbers.

McCaw on-court (207 Minutes): 111.0 ORTG, 107.8 DRTG, +3.2 NetRtg
McCaw off-court: 120.5 ORTG, 102.2 DRTG, +18.3 NetRtg
on/off: -14.9

McAdoo on-court (24 Minutes): 108.9 ORTG, 96.4 DRTG, +12.5 NetRtg
McAdoo off-court: 116.4 ORTG, 105.4 DRTG, +11.0 NetRtg
on/off: +1.5

So it looks like our team indeed struggles with McCaw relative to line-ups without him. We still have a positive net rating with him on the court since Durant is out. So I'm not sure that it's such a big issue that we should mess up our regular rotations for what is going to be two more weeks. I have no problem whatsoever with starting McCaw, letting him get valuable experience that helps us long-term and simply take him out for Durant when he comes back without changing the overall rotations dramatically. We're going to need McCaw soon, be it next year or even spot minutes in the playoffs, considering our lack of depth for Guards. It's a good thing we develop him in competitive situations at this point of the season unless he's completely overchallenged (which he isn't).

McAdoo played 24 minutes of assessable basketball, meaning important minutes. Maybe some important minutes in the fourth on top but that's difficult to distinguish. 24 minutes is a sample size that's going to change dramatically with any additional minute. So basically your demand of taking him out of the rotation entirely is based on the how the team performs during garbage time and away against the Spurs without our five best players relative to our how good we are when we're playing for something with our best players. I hope I don't have to tell you that this is ridiculous, especially considering in the tiny 24 minutes sample the team performs extremely well - and even better than for the off-court sample. Not to mention that 24 minutes over the course of 11 games means he already isn't in the regular rotation. McAdoo is nothing but a situational player but he can give you a couple valuable minutes every now and then against the right match-ups. He's shown that especially as of late. So how we used McAdoo recently should be exactly how he should be used and the relevant numbers don't dispute that claim.
laika
Analyst

Post#74 » by laika » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

The-Power wrote:
laika wrote:The McCaw experiment is still getting terrible results and should be ended now. McAdoo is awful and should be taken out of the rotation entirely.

First of all, you should be more selective regarding which data you use before making such strong claims. It doesn't make sense to include garbage time as it does not help us understand how certain players work under regular circumstances. Also, the Spurs game was an obvious outlier with our top five players not playing - i.e. it doesn't make sense to include the game either.

So let's look at the numbers through the first three quarters and exclude the game against the Spurs for both the on- and off-court numbers.

McCaw on-court (207 Minutes): 111.0 ORTG, 107.8 DRTG, +3.2 NetRtg
McCaw off-court: 120.5 ORTG, 102.2 DRTG, +18.3 NetRtg
on/off: -14.9

McAdoo on-court (24 Minutes): 108.9 ORTG, 96.4 DRTG, +12.5 NetRtg
McAdoo off-court: 116.4 ORTG, 105.4 DRTG, +11.0 NetRtg
on/off: +1.5

So it looks like our team indeed struggles with McCaw relative to line-ups without him. We still have a positive net rating with him on the court since Durant is out. So I'm not sure that it's such a big issue that we should mess up our regular rotations for what is going to be two more weeks. I have no problem whatsoever with starting McCaw, letting him get valuable experience that helps us long-term and simply take him out for Durant when he comes back without changing the overall rotations dramatically. We're going to need McCaw soon, be it next year or even spot minutes in the playoffs, considering our lack of depth for Guards. It's a good thing we develop him in competitive situations at this point of the season unless he's completely overchallenged (which he isn't).

McAdoo played 24 minutes of assessable basketball, meaning important minutes. Maybe some important minutes in the fourth on top but that's difficult to distinguish. 24 minutes is a sample size that's going to change dramatically with any additional minute. So basically your demand of taking him out of the rotation entirely is based on the how the team performs during garbage time and away against the Spurs without our five best players relative to our how good we are when we're playing for something with our best players. I hope I don't have to tell you that this is ridiculous, especially considering in the tiny 24 minutes sample the team performs extremely well - and even better than for the off-court sample. Not to mention that 24 minutes over the course of 11 games means he already isn't in the regular rotation. McAdoo is nothing but a situational player but he can give you a couple valuable minutes every now and then against the right match-ups. He's shown that especially as of late. So how we used McAdoo recently should be exactly how he should be used and the relevant numbers don't dispute that claim.

It isn't just garbage time though. McAdoo is always lousy. I don't understand the fascination with McAdoo. Is it really that controversial that a 12th man with massively worse stats than his teammates gets taken out of the lineup?

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203949/traditional/?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Split=ingame&LastNGames=12&PerMode=Per48

McCaw matters because we know it's a really bad lineup. There is a good chance that the Warriors will have to rely on a non-Durant lineup some of the time in the playoffs. The 3 most important goals in the last 11 games are- 1.Get the starters playing well. 2.Get the playoff starting rotation some time playing together. 3.Get the best players some rest. By continuing to start McCaw the Warriors are failing at all three goals.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#75 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:44 pm

laika wrote:It isn't just garbage time though. McAdoo is always lousy. I don't understand the fascination with McAdoo. Is it really that controversial that a 12th man with massively worse stats than his teammates gets taken out of the lineup?

Your argument was based on the games without Durant and since you used the on/off numbers as your main argument, the argument for McAdoo relies entirely on garbage time minutes. As I showed above, the 24 minutes with him in the regular rotation during that span were quite successful.

And what fascination are you talking about? Because I'm saying that a player can be valuable for two or three good minutes every other game? Taken out of the line-up? Man, he's never been in the regular rotation and I've yet to see somebody demanding that he must be in it. Unless you want to say that McAdoo shouldn't play meaningless garbage time - which wouldn't make any sense - you're hoping for something virtually non-existent to change. McAdoo plays 2 (!) MPG on average in the first three quarters and the line-ups were effective. Seems to me like exactly the player I described above.

McCaw matters because we know it's a really bad lineup. There is a good chance that the Warriors will have to rely on a non-Durant lineup some of the time in the playoffs. The 3 most important goals in the last 11 games are- 1.Get the starters playing well. 2.Get the playoff starting rotation some time playing together. 3.Get the best players some rest. By continuing to start McCaw the Warriors are failing at all three goals.

There are more ways to experiment with non-Durant line-ups other than not starting McCaw. Everybody gets minutes with some of the starters even if it's off the bench. What is your proposal? Starting Dre doesn't make sense in my eyes. You don't mess with your fix rotations for what's going to be two weeks or so and you merely change the order of when to play McCaw at this point. There's also no guarantee that starting Barnes and changing the rotations that way produces better results overall in this counterfactual scenario.

Also, it's not a 'really bad line-up'. Below average? Sure. But it's still a net positive and that's why I don't see the big issue you make it out to be. There's also a chance that the Warriors have to rely on McCaw for match-up purposes when we need a guard defender and one or two of our main guys are in foul trouble. So him getting some minutes makes absolutely sense. The Warriors fail to give the players some rest? Please, Curry hasn't played a fourth quarter for four straight games. No player played more minutes than he should have lately because they started McCaw. That's silly considering the minutes distribution over the past four games.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Is Kerr playing the right lineups? 

Post#76 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Great rebuttals Power.

I still agree that McAdoo isn't needed though. And I'm also leaning towards McGee starting now. We should no longer "owe" (to strong a word I know) Zaza the starting job. I think McGee has shown he does in fact play better with the starting lineup. I think the veteran laden bench with Zaza, West, and Barnes as the front line works. Livingston and Iguodala rounding that out.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The-Power
General Manager

Post#77 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I still agree that McAdoo isn't needed though. And I'm also leaning towards McGee starting now. We should no longer "owe" (to strong a word I know) Zaza the starting job. I think McGee has shown he does in fact play better with the starting lineup. I think the veteran laden bench with Zaza, West, and Barnes as the front line works. Livingston and Iguodala rounding that out.

Well, I wouldn't say McAdoo is needed either. But he can offer something for two or three minutes every other game because of his defensive mobility. If there's someone considerably better available then go for it but if not then I don't have an issue at all with keeping him and playing him very sporadic minutes.

Re: McGee. I still think McGee's high usage is the reason he doesn't start aside from keeping the promise to Zaza. First goal of every game is to get Steph, Klay and KD shots to get into rhythm. With McGee, the entire dynamic changes. Not necessarily in a negative way at first but I do believe the current approach pays dividents later in the game. I would increase McGee's playing time, he deserves it, but I'm absolutely fine with starting Zaza.

Secondly, it's not like we're playing bad with Zaza. The team is a whooping +16.2 with him on the court. Sure, he plays mostly with our three of our four best players but why should we change something - with uncertain ramifications - when it's working? I feel you. Watching Zaza missing point blank lay-ups can be frustrating but we actually perform really well with him on the court on both ends. No need to change the starting line-up at this point of the season and mess with established routines that work.

Lastly, I'm not particularly fond of the line-up you posted above. Horrible spacing, nobody can create for himself consistently and I really only want to see West as the Center unless there's an exceptional situation. But since we're not going to see full bench line-ups it's kind of a moot point anyway.
laika
Analyst

Post#78 » by laika » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm

The-Power wrote:
laika wrote:McCaw matters because we know it's a really bad lineup. There is a good chance that the Warriors will have to rely on a non-Durant lineup some of the time in the playoffs. The 3 most important goals in the last 11 games are- 1.Get the starters playing well. 2.Get the playoff starting rotation some time playing together. 3.Get the best players some rest. By continuing to start McCaw the Warriors are failing at all three goals.

There are more ways to experiment with non-Durant line-ups other than not starting McCaw. Everybody gets minutes with some of the starters even if it's off the bench. What is your proposal? Starting Dre doesn't make sense in my eyes. You don't mess with your fix rotations for what's going to be two weeks or so and you merely change the order of when to play McCaw at this point. There's also no guarantee that starting Barnes and changing the rotations that way produces better results overall in this counterfactual scenario.

Also, it's not a 'really bad line-up'. Below average? Sure. But it's still a net positive and that's why I don't see the big issue you make it out to be. There's also a chance that the Warriors have to rely on McCaw for match-up purposes when we need a guard defender and one or two of our main guys are in foul trouble. So him getting some minutes makes absolutely sense. The Warriors fail to give the players some rest? Please, Curry hasn't played a fourth quarter for four straight games. No player played more minutes than he should have lately because they started McCaw. That's silly considering the minutes distribution over the past four games.

I don't agree that McAdoo offers anything of net value. The 3.5 minutes he's been averaging in the first 3 quarters is time the Warriors are conceding to their opponent. But unless McAdoo costs the Warriors a game it isn't worth mentioning him again.

-The Warriors don't need to experiment. They need to give playing time to their likely playoff starting lineup and they are not doing this. Starting McCaw makes it all but impossible to give adequate minutes to a superior, but really inexperienced lineup. The two obvious choices for a playoff starting lineup are Iguodala/McGee and Iguodala/Pachulia. These lineups have very little experience, having playing 70 and 50 minutes together.
-The Warriors don't rely that much on fixed rotations and they especially don't have any rotation since Durant's injury that needs to be strictly defined.
-Nothing is an absolute guarantee, but since the McCaw numbers are so bad it is extremely likely that the Warriors will play better with McCaw moved to the bench.
-You don't measure a lineup by if it is "net positive"(McCaw isn't net positive either- negative 2.5 oncourt since Durant out). You measure by how good the alternative is. The Warriors have been playing massively better without McCaw since Durant has been out.
-Possibly needing to rely on a player in no way implies that that player must start. McCaw has had plenty of playing time already, and will get more as a future backup.
-Your 4 game sample doesn't make sense. Are you confident that Curry won't play any 4th quarters the rest of the year? Can you guarantee that Curry isn't tired right now?
-It certainly wasn't thanks to McCaw that the Warriors have had a decent minute distribution the last 4 games.

Maybe everything will work out perfectly and Durant will be 100% for the playoffs. But that is only in 3 weeks. It's more likely that the Warriors will need to plan on Durant not being at full strength for at least the first round.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#79 » by The-Power » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm

laika wrote:I don't agree that McAdoo offers anything of net value. The 3.5 minutes he's been averaging in the first 3 quarters is time the Warriors are conceding to their opponen

It's really not, though. They played him and the line-ups performed well - there is simply no basis for your claim. And why would Kerr concede time to their opponents? Doesn't make any sense. It's pretty obvious that McAdoo sees minutes when Kerr sees fit. Mostly it's when a mobile big outhustles us or hits perimeter shots we are unable to defend. That's McAdoo's value. It's not much but it's not nothing either.

laika wrote:-The Warriors don't need to experiment. They need to give playing time to their likely playoff starting lineup and they are not doing this. Starting McCaw makes it all but impossible to give adequate minutes to a superior, but really inexperienced lineup. The two obvious choices for a playoff starting lineup are Iguodala/McGee and Iguodala/Pachulia. These lineups have very little experience, having playing 70 and 50 minutes together.

Their likely playoff starting line-ups includes a player who is currently injured, so they really can't give this line-up any minutes. Also, you don't seem to realize that Iguodala is the guy around everything evolves when we're making substitutions. Making him part of the starting five changes everything and that's beyond unnecessary in our situation. Durant is coming back and Iduodala is needed off the bench because he changes the dynamics of an already developed game as we see fit and that's invaluable. I would do exactly the same as Kerr and keep him coming off the bench. If anything you would play Barnes instead of McCaw with the starters.

laika wrote:-The Warriors don't rely that much on fixed rotations and they especially don't have any rotation since Durant's injury that needs to be strictly defined.

The Warriors absolutely do have established rotation patterns.

laika wrote:-You don't measure a lineup by if it is "net positive"(McCaw isn't net positive either- negative 2.5 oncourt since Durant out). You measure by how good the alternative is. The Warriors have been playing massively better without McCaw since Durant has been out.

Again: I don't care how line-ups with McCaw fare in garbage time and against the Spurs without our five best players and neither should you or anybody else. So yes, relevant McCaw line-ups are a net positive.

Secondly, you make assumption you cannot justify. The alternative is not only about the direct results of a given line-up but also - and even more so - about the ramifications for the entire game and even following games. Insert Iguodala into the starting five and hell yeah that line-up is going to perform better. The same was true with Harrison Barnes and Iguodala. So why did Kerr put Iguodala on the bench in the first place? And the answer to this is exactly the same as the answer to the question why he keeps coming off the bench. It's about in-game adjustments he allows, impact he's having on line-ups after one of the players in the starting five sits and mascerading other players' deficiencies by playing them with the starters.

laika wrote:-Possibly needing to rely on a player in no way implies that that player must start. McCaw has had plenty of playing time already, and will get more as a future backup.

But we must start Iguodala in order to be better prepared for the playoffs even though he'll continue to come off the bench? I really don't get the notion. If Kerr wants to use certain line-ups more then he can do it without starting Iguodala for the remainder of the season.

laika wrote:-Your 4 game sample doesn't make sense. Are you confident that Curry won't play any 4th quarters the rest of the year? Can you guarantee that Curry isn't tired right now?

It does make sense because you said the starters need rest and that playing McCaw doesn't help that. The reality is that they got rest with McCaw starting so your argument seems pointless as it stands. Is there any guarantee that Curry won't play any 4th quarters the rest of the year? Well it is guaranteed that he will no matter who starts. If Curry is tired then he needs to be rested. I trust Kerr and Curry here, no need to argue with pure hypotheticals.

But since you're into guarantees and hypotheticals: can you guarantee that the line-ups with McCaw won't perform better from here on? I mean, it seems likely that a Rookie inserted into a functioning line-up due to an injury in the middle of one of the toughest road trips in the history of the NBA won't work well immediately and that the line-ups will improve steadily.

laika wrote:-It certainly wasn't thanks to McCaw that the Warriors have had a decent minute distribution the last 4 games.

Nobody says that. I'm going out on a limb and say that maybe this guy Iguodala had impact off the bench and changed the games. We were dominant the last four games again - unsurprisingly it took some time given the circumstances - so it worked well overall. But you still see the need to make drastic changes hoping that everything will be even better while not taking into account how those changes affect the entire game and not only one specific line-up.

I mean, we can talk about adjustments and hypotheticals on this board as much as we want. But I totally understand the coach who just sticks with what has been generally working - especially since the adjustment you proposed considerably intervenes in something we've done for almost three years with great success. Not everything in basketball can be broken down into pieces and analyzed as single line-up data. Starting Barnes? If Kerr thinks it helps then go for it. Starting Iguodala? No thank you.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by shazam_guy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 am

"Not everything in basketball can be broken down into pieces and analyzed as single line-up data."

So true.

Return to Golden State Warriors