ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Re: Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die 

Post#1321 » by Onus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:56 pm

cdubbz wrote:Franz Wagner is SO much better than Kuminga.

It's not close and this is where Bob **** up. This was the biggest downfall of Bob, such a horrible draft and really killed any hopes moving forward.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#1322 » by DevinVassell » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:52 pm

Onus wrote:

It's not close and this is where Bob **** up. This was the biggest downfall of Bob, such a horrible draft and really killed any hopes moving forward.

DevinVassell wrote:My 2 cents.

Franz Wagner
Jalen Johnson

Alperen Sengun
or trade for vet
or trade for future first

It's really not that hard... and I could have done Bobs GM job for just 1M!

I'm guessing the majority of this board would have taken Franz before Kuminga... but maybe not.
Onus
RealGM

Post#1323 » by Onus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:02 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
Onus wrote:

DevinVassell wrote:My 2 cents.

Franz Wagner
Jalen Johnson

Alperen Sengun
or trade for vet
or trade for future first

It's really not that hard... and I could have done Bobs GM job for just 1M!

I'm guessing the majority of this board would have taken Franz before Kuminga... but maybe not.

I wouldn't give the board that much credit. There's still a lot of posters that think JK was the right choice.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#1324 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:43 am

Remember the Warriors haters saying the big men used illegal picks all the time?

They still think that’s happening.

But do you see the handoffs that Jokic and AD get away with ALL GAME LONG, EVERY DAMN GAME?
Onus
RealGM

Post#1325 » by Onus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 pm

wco81 wrote:Remember the Warriors haters saying the big men used illegal picks all the time?

They still think that’s happening.

But do you see the handoffs that Jokic and AD get away with ALL GAME LONG, EVERY DAMN GAME?

It’s hilarious that they thought the refs were on our side because we set illegal picks alll the time. Everybody sets illegal picks all the time.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,283

Post#1326 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:10 pm

Onus wrote:

Drafting went from best in the league to very poor since the logo got kicked out so one of Lacob's son can feel like he's a useful human being in this organization. Feed that ego :lol:
Onus
RealGM

Post#1327 » by Onus » Wed May 1, 2024 12:18 pm

I think we just saw that the top of the west is clearly a tier above the fray
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Post#1328 » by CDM_Stats » Wed May 1, 2024 3:14 pm

Onus wrote:I think we just saw that the top of the west is clearly a tier above the fray

If KP is out for the playoffs (TBD) then I’m really starting to like my 3 title bets - OKC, IND, MIN

In fact with the way things are shaping up, could see all 3 in final 4. Indiana is the toughest one because Knicks are so hard to gauge, but I think the Haliburton/Siakam combo is a real winner. If they go to G7 against a wounded Bucks team though.. I’ll lose a lot of confidence in them
Onus
RealGM

Post#1329 » by Onus » Wed May 1, 2024 5:25 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:I think we just saw that the top of the west is clearly a tier above the fray

If KP is out for the playoffs (TBD) then I’m really starting to like my 3 title bets - OKC, IND, MIN

In fact with the way things are shaping up, could see all 3 in final 4. Indiana is the toughest one because Knicks are so hard to gauge, but I think the Haliburton/Siakam combo is a real winner. If they go to G7 against a wounded Bucks team though.. I’ll lose a lot of confidence in them

IDK how you didn't lose confidence in them after getting blown out in game 5. My futures are still knicks, philly to make the finals. Then to win MIN and LAC. Have the most on MIN though.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1330 » by CDM_Stats » Wed May 1, 2024 6:09 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

IDK how you didn't lose confidence in them after getting blown out in game 5. My futures are still knicks, philly to make the finals. Then to win MIN and LAC. Have the most on MIN though.

They're my longshot, but it was an elimination game in Milwaukee. I dont put much stock in how close playoff losses are, unless its consistent. Peaks and valleys.. Portis isn't going to go nuclear every game and Pacers wont shoot like **** every game either. But if they lose G6, that's likely a wrap. Still, IND had the best betting upside by a lot because of how big of a dog they were. Only huge risk with them is rebounding.. they just dont have very good team rebounding, which is driving the underdog numbers. But if you're going to bet an underdog, bet there.. because if bad/good shooting nights can override those numbers
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,909

Post#1331 » by cdubbz » Thu May 2, 2024 8:59 pm

Suns GM said in an interview that 'theyre looking to maximize Kevin Durant and no team has done it yet" okaaaaaay.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1332 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 2, 2024 9:06 pm

cdubbz wrote:Suns GM said in an interview that 'theyre looking to maximize Kevin Durant and no team has done it yet" okaaaaaay.

I dont know if subtly shading KD is the best move for them but at this point, its on brand. James Jones has done some serious damage to the franchise and right now, I cant think of a franchise in a worse spot

Which is why the KD to GS rumors are terrifying. Unless they can get him for CP3/minimal future assets, we're just going to be absorbing some of their problems. And if that happens, where we send future 1sts to PHX for KD, then maybe some folks will finally understand why that Kerr extension had a lot of us sounding the alarms
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,909

Post#1333 » by cdubbz » Thu May 2, 2024 9:18 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Suns GM said in an interview that 'theyre looking to maximize Kevin Durant and no team has done it yet" okaaaaaay.

I dont know if subtly shading KD is the best move for them but at this point, its on brand. James Jones has done some serious damage to the franchise and right now, I cant think of a franchise in a worse spot

Which is why the KD to GS rumors are terrifying. Unless they can get him for CP3/minimal future assets, we're just going to be absorbing some of their problems. And if that happens, where we send future 1sts to PHX for KD, then maybe some folks will finally understand why that Kerr extension had a lot of us sounding the alarms

The new owners press conference was a train wreck. He said the Suns starters will all be back and thinks they're a championship team. Was visibly and vocally irritated that the national media is calling the Suns a train wreck :lol:

KD is off the table.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1334 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 2, 2024 9:28 pm

cdubbz wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

The new owners press conference was a train wreck. He said the Suns starters will all be back and thinks they're a championship team. Was visibly and vocally irritated that the national media is calling the Suns a train wreck :lol:

KD is off the table.

Denial.. river in Egypt.. etc

Like honest question: is there any NBA franchise that would trade places with the Suns right now? Even the crappy ones can lean on the hope of future drafts
Onus
RealGM

Post#1335 » by Onus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:54 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

KD is off the table.

Like honest question: is there any NBA franchise that would trade places with the Suns right now? Even the crappy ones can lean on the hope of future drafts

It's funny he said 26 other teams would trade their situations for theirs. LMAO

They are going to be in pain for the next 6 years.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#1336 » by vvoland » Thu May 2, 2024 10:32 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

KD is off the table.

Detroit. They've been in the wilderness so long to be finally relevant on a national stage might be appealing. Relevant /= good but the pistons are a ways away from either.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#1337 » by vvoland » Thu May 2, 2024 10:32 pm

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

KD is off the table.

It's funny he said 26 other teams would trade their situations for theirs. LMAO

They are going to be in pain for the next 6 years.

Not sure there are 26 g-league teams that would trade places with the suns.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#1338 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 3, 2024 5:56 pm

Of the top ten highest spending teams, only two have advanced to the 2nd round. (Clippers still might.)
Read on Twitter
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1339 » by CDM_Stats » Fri May 3, 2024 6:25 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Of the top ten highest spending teams, only two have advanced to the 2nd round. (Clippers still might.)
Read on Twitter

I was listening to some random podcast earlier this year about the NBA is starting to mirror the MLB in terms of dead value salary. Basically it was stating that like the MLB, veterans are getting paid WAY too much based on prior achievements because of the cost-controlled salary to start their careers, and hypothesized that the odds of a 3rd contract being a good one was one of the worst bets you could make as a NBA GM (assuming FRP, max extension, so that's 8-9+ years in the league)

It's why I'm big-time all-in on OKC in the short and long-term dating back to last year, and now see Orlando in a very similar situation. With the punitive 2nd apron in effect, having continuous draft assets, built around 2-3 upper echelon players in their prime, is the best way to have long-term sustained success. The caveat is that once those 2-3 upper echelon players start going into their 3rd contract, the team has to have a replacement in place and can't simply rely on continuity/loyalty

(it was obviously targeted towards Warriors but I think it was a Laker fan, but it was a great listen. will see if I can dig it up. But ultimtely says the same thing you have here - spending is not indicative of success, and at some level might point to hinderance more)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#1340 » by wco81 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:46 pm

Silver believes parity is what makes the NFL successful, with almost every fan base engaged year round, because it's not hard to compete or rebuild to vie for playoffs in the NFL, which relies heavily on key players on rookie contracts.

So he's trying to do the same. A team could draft very well and develop 3 or more all-star or better players but under this new CBA, they can likely extend 2 or 3 of them and rely on role players making MLE or less.

That might be great for parity and preventing dynasties. It's also great for owners as it keeps overall salaries down. What is baffling is why the players went along with it, including cap smoothing to prevent cap spikes, despite any big increases in revenues.

For instance if the NBA gets anywhere near 3X the TV money they're trying to get, it's a huge influx of revenues but the most salaries can increase per year is like 10%.

Again, how does that benefit the players? It doesn't and it's going to lead to more big inequality in salaries between the super Max players and the rest.

Look at a mid market team like the Wolves. Their attendance and local TV ratings must be way up this season. However, their attendance history is that when the team isn't that good, those numbers plummet. So it's great now but regardless of how they fare in the playoffs, they may have to dump some big contracts, because the owner doesn't have deep pockets and he's trying to sell to new owners who also seem unlikely to pay luxury taxes.

So if they do trade away key players or have to let key rotation players walk, then the fanbase can sour on them right away and attendance and TV ratings go back down.

The NFL can have a lot of starters on rookie contracts. The NBA can't always have that. Sure high lottery picks will always get playing time from their rookie season onwards. But good players will command big salaries and pretty soon teams are facing punitive luxury taxes and other penalties.

So you will never get NFL style parity nor engaged fan base outside of maybe 20-25 teams during the season.

Return to Golden State Warriors