ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Re: Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die 

Post#1281 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:09 pm

He doesn't even know if he will get more playing time if he stays at SC. He could go to some smaller program but Bron probably wants him close to home in SoCal.

However, SoCal has other prospects who seem to be getting more playing time and they may get some high-ranked prospects next season as well.

It sounds like he hasn't flashed as a prospect in his limited time, especially after his health scare.

If he gets drafted, more power to him. Probably has just as much a chance to develop practicing in the NBA, working with professional trainers, probably playing a lot of G-League games.

Ever since one and done became prevalent, the best prospects develop their games in the NBA, not extra years in college. Look at players like SGA or Maxey. Not a coincidence, both players recruited by Calipari who both became better in the league than when they entered the league.

Because Calipari recruits but he doesn't coach them up at all, can't even be bothered to hire developmental coaches for his staff. So he gets the best physical talents and they get drafted into the league and they gain their skills in the league.

College basketball is a scam and the sooner players move on from it, the better for them, especially if they get drafted and get on an NBA roster for their rookie contracts and they have a chance to show what they have.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,839

Post#1282 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:43 pm

wco81 wrote:He doesn't even know if he will get more playing time if he stays at SC. He could go to some smaller program but Bron probably wants him close to home in SoCal.

Because Calipari recruits but he doesn't coach them up at all, can't even be bothered to hire developmental coaches for his staff. So he gets the best physical talents and they get drafted into the league and they gain their skills in the league.

College basketball is a scam and the sooner players move on from it, the better for them, especially if they get drafted and get on an NBA roster for their rookie contracts and they have a chance to show what they have.

If he does stay in college a small school like St. Marys, Santa Clara, are all up north in California. Santa Clara has had some recent success out of nowhere with first round picks. Unlikely though.

And NCAA hoops is a scam 100% for developing talent, but the NBA has failed to make the G-league desirable. With NIL deals it's worth it going to play NCAA then anything else.

I was hoping for the G-league to really become something (and it still can).
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#1283 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:31 am

I think Edey will be a solid big man in the NBA. Role player for sure, but man imagine him coming off your bench for certain matchups.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#1284 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:49 pm

Always hoped the Warriors would somehow land Brook Lopez.

He has 4 triples in 6 minutes in todays game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,287

Post#1285 » by Onus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:48 pm

This Lebron JJ podcast really is just a way to get out how to defend Steph Curry.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM

Post#1286 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 pm

Onus wrote:This Lebron JJ podcast really is just a way to get out how to defend Steph Curry.

In the playoffs series, they just had AD switch out to him and he did a pretty good job of denying Steph the 3 and could also pursue if Steph tried to drive.

Also AD effectively screened for Reeves and DLo on the other end because he'd shove the Warriors defender, something that most other big men would get called for as illegal screens.

Schroeder also was pretty good at the POA vs. Steph. This season, would it be Vincent, who's barely played but who was signed based on his playoffs performance for the Heat? Or maybe Vanderbilt, who also hasn't played much this season.

If AD picks up Curry out at the 3 point line, Wiggins or Kuminga have to attack the paint, though AD will try to get back to the basket if Curry passes out.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Post#1287 » by HiRez » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:34 am

Apparently Warriors filled the 15th roster spot with Garuba converted to a standard contract. Makes him eligible to play in the post-season. But seems a little odd since he's barely played all year, is something iffy with TJD or Looney? Draymond's been playing a lot of Center lately too.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#1288 » by watch1958 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:07 am

HiRez wrote:Apparently Warriors filled the 15th roster spot with Garuba converted to a standard contract. Makes him eligible to play in the post-season. But seems a little odd since he's barely played all year, is something iffy with TJD or Looney? Draymond's been playing a lot of Center lately too.

Maybe a coincidence, but I remember a video awhile ago showing him having some success guarding Zion.

Can’t find it now, though, so maybe I imagined it.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#1289 » by watch1958 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:09 am

HiRez wrote:Apparently Warriors filled the 15th roster spot with Garuba converted to a standard contract. Makes him eligible to play in the post-season. But seems a little odd since he's barely played all year, is something iffy with TJD or Looney? Draymond's been playing a lot of Center lately too.

Or maybe just throwing him a little money.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#1290 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:00 pm

Re: Garuba, it's very rare for a team to go into the playoffs with an open roster spot. One day salary costs almost nothing and can also keep him non-guaranteed to look at for next year. Even non-playoff teams fill their rosters at the end of the season to look at someone in the summer. Only one or two teams hadn't filled their roster by last week, and they probably have by now.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Post#1291 » by HiRez » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 pm

I'm all for it, I just wish Garuba would play more. I was real excited when they grabbed him in the offseason and then real disappointed when he basically never played the whole season. Can't hurt to have another backup but it would be better if he had more experience (of the NBA kind). Will be interesting to see what happens with Loon in the offseason.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,048

Post#1292 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:40 pm

All it does is increase the likelihood of him being on the roster bubble next year, which is good (relatively) for those who want to keep Garuba. But its really minor

Thing is with TJD blowing up like he did, Garuba took a back seat. And thats totally understandable.. but what I dont understand is how a guy who was doing so well in the GL, better than TJD when TJD was there, got no opportunities whatsoever when his high IQ/defense first mentality should fit in extremely well. He's switchable on D, solid rebounder, good passer, and has taken a small step forward with his 3pter. Exactly as advertised.. but their plan was to just put him in development for a whole year and then give him a tryout next year?

Cant imagine he'd prefer that to being a starter in Europe. Or at least a key rotation piece. Hell RM has Edy Taveras looking like a star, I'm sure they could find a use for Garuba again. They did 5 years ago :dontknow:
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,287

Post#1293 » by Onus » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:07 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:All it does is increase the likelihood of him being on the roster bubble next year, which is good (relatively) for those who want to keep Garuba. But its really minor

Thing is with TJD blowing up like he did, Garuba took a back seat. And thats totally understandable.. but what I dont understand is how a guy who was doing so well in the GL, better than TJD when TJD was there, got no opportunities whatsoever when his high IQ/defense first mentality should fit in extremely well. He's switchable on D, solid rebounder, good passer, and has taken a small step forward with his 3pter. Exactly as advertised.. but their plan was to just put him in development for a whole year and then give him a tryout next year?

Cant imagine he'd prefer that to being a starter in Europe. Or at least a key rotation piece. Hell RM has Edy Taveras looking like a star, I'm sure they could find a use for Garuba again. They did 5 years ago :dontknow:

When looney was slumping Garuba should’ve been given a shot.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM

Post#1294 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:53 am

There's some speculation that the Lakers, who've played very well against the Pelicans this season including beating them Sunday pretty handily, may strategically lose the 7-8 Play-In game and then beat the winner of Kings-Warriors, in order to become the #8 seed.

Because they match up far better vs. #1 OKC than #2 Denver.

I think most teams would prefer to take their chances vs. OKC than Denver.

And Minnesota could be in danger of losing to Phoenix too. They can play 5-out, which has caused problems for Gobert in previous playoffs.

That would pretty much take away a big part of the Wolves league-leading defense.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1295 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:10 pm

Nets just made a good coaching hire in Jordie. He was at the top of my list as a kerr replacement.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#1296 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Nets just made a good coaching hire in Jordie. He was at the top of my list as a kerr replacement.

I know this isn't what you meant but good chance he'll be available in two years when Kerr's contract is up.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#1297 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

wco81 wrote:There's some speculation that the Lakers, who've played very well against the Pelicans this season including beating them Sunday pretty handily, may strategically lose the 7-8 Play-In game and then beat the winner of Kings-Warriors, in order to become the #8 seed.

And Minnesota could be in danger of losing to Phoenix too. They can play 5-out, which has caused problems for Gobert in previous playoffs.

That would pretty much take away a big part of the Wolves league-leading defense.

I believe they're 1-7 combined vs the dubs and kings. Highly doubt they tank the NOP game.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#1298 » by xdrta+ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

vvoland wrote:
wco81 wrote:There's some speculation that the Lakers, who've played very well against the Pelicans this season including beating them Sunday pretty handily, may strategically lose the 7-8 Play-In game and then beat the winner of Kings-Warriors, in order to become the #8 seed.

I believe they're 1-7 combined vs the dubs and kings. Highly doubt they tank the NOP game.

For sure, tank the Pelican game? What could possibly go wrong with that?
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#1299 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:07 am

League is ridiculous. Dlo got a technical for no reason - Alvarado was in his face, bumped him after the foul and all dlo did was clap
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#1300 » by TB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 am

Really frustrating to see Javonte Green playing 25mpg with per 36 of 17 and 11, 3 stocks, 68 ts%, and typically incredible +/- for the Bulls...

We literally rehabbed him all year and then just let him go play a crucial role for Chicago again, while we sign Gui and Garuba to sit at the end of the bench (I like those guys, but I've been begging for Javonte on this team for like 4 years)

Return to Golden State Warriors