is Klay done?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#921 » by superunknown » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:44 am

he's done.
he's singlehandedly sinking this team pretty much each time he steps on the floor with his non D and dumb shots selection. just leave him home, he's not even a 6th man from the bench at this point.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#922 » by Coxy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:12 am

I do wonder if retirement is now floating around in his head.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,878

Post#923 » by Hoopstar23 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:13 am

Coxy wrote:I do wonder if retirement is now floating around in his head.

or China, to help promote his Anta shoes lol
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#924 » by Impuniti » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:20 am

It's amazing how absolutely **** Steve Kerr has been this season, it's legitimately impressive how crap he has been to tank an entire season. It's a shame because there's a really elite level potential in this team that's completely discarded for politics.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,982

Post#925 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:22 am

I honestly don't know if any teams besides the Warriors would play Klay as a rotation minutes guy. He's a streaky shooter shooting below league average TS%, bad defender, bad rebounder, doesn't get loose balls, and generally looks slow and pouty.

Klay's shooting in the fourth quarter this season in our L's (stolen from a guy on reddit):

23 FGM / 76 FGA or a 30% FG%

10 3PM / 42 3PA or 24% 3P%

and a combined +- of -71
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 448

Post#926 » by Romulus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:53 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:I honestly don't know if any teams besides the Warriors would play Klay as a rotation minutes guy. He's a streaky shooter shooting below league average TS%, bad defender, bad rebounder, doesn't get loose balls, and generally looks slow and pouty.

Klay's shooting in the fourth quarter this season in our L's (stolen from a guy on reddit):

and a combined +- of -71

How do you even win games with this guy closing?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#927 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:44 pm

Klay is on pace to be the best bench scorer in NBA history. Suck it haters
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#928 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:47 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:I honestly don't know if any teams besides the Warriors would play Klay as a rotation minutes guy. He's a streaky shooter shooting below league average TS%, bad defender, bad rebounder, doesn't get loose balls, and generally looks slow and pouty.

and a combined +- of -71

But it makes people feel warm and fuzzy when he makes paper airplanes.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#929 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:56 pm

killmongrel wrote:But it makes people feel warm and fuzzy when he makes paper airplanes.

Well, historically I have enjoyed the Klay paper airplanes and such, but I have not enjoyed the Klay experience recently. I really hope Steve figures out his role is bench scorer, not a crunch time guy anymore. Lower minutes, easier situations -- crunch time is for the guys that can still grab the loose balls, rebounds, etc.

I am tired of being tired of Klay, I'd really like to see him settle into a productive but more limited role. Last night showed us hints of it, but Steve decided to close with him. Hopefully Kerr gets it sooner than later.
Hoopstar23
Veteran

Post#930 » by Hoopstar23 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:30 pm

looks like going forward Podz will be the starter and Klay coming off the bench!!! wow there needs to be a thread change...

we finally here at this point... Klay is really done... sad day for real!

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#931 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:30 pm

Question is whom do you trust to take a big shot after Curry?

Wiggins?

Kuminga?

Podz?

Moody?

However, it's true that his clutch shooting percentage is horrible this season so far.

Most of the other players will get open looks. Teams won't sell out to contest looks.

Teams will obviously contest Curry, including double or triple teams.

In this last game, Utah did contest Klay, especially when he ball-faked to get rid of the first defender and secondary defenders jumped at him.

Obviously it's best for the Warriors if teams sell out to contest Klay's jump shots as they do Curry's.

But he's also got to hit at a higher clip than he has been, especially in the clutch.
Hoopstar23
Veteran

Post#932 » by Hoopstar23 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#933 » by vvoland » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:17 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
killmongrel wrote:But it makes people feel warm and fuzzy when he makes paper airplanes.

Well, historically I have enjoyed the Klay paper airplanes and such, but I have not enjoyed the Klay experience recently. I really hope Steve figures out his role is bench scorer, not a crunch time guy anymore. Lower minutes, easier situations -- crunch time is for the guys that can still grab the loose balls, rebounds, etc.

I am tired of being tired of Klay, I'd really like to see him settle into a productive but more limited role. Last night showed us hints of it, but Steve decided to close with him. Hopefully Kerr gets it sooner than later.

Of course Kerr closed with Klay. It was 100% the correct decision last night and exactly what most of this board wanted : have klay come off the bench and close with him if he's hot. He was on fire last night but he still doesn't deserve to close? Even when the team couldn't score in the 4th after putting up 120 in the first 3 quarters? He had two of the better defensive plays late in the 4th last night, built up the lead with his scorching shooting and the board is like "when will kerr ever learn?!?!!?!?"

I thought the peak of Klay hate was the "locked on warriors" podcast but this board has definitely jumped the shark.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#934 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:34 pm

He was 0-4 in the 4th but the entire team only made 6 buckets in the 4th, so it was more of a collective meltdown
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#935 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:20 am

It seems both hot Klay and cold Klay are cold in the 4th for the last year+.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#936 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:21 am

vvoland wrote:
Of course Kerr closed with Klay. It was 100% the correct decision last night and exactly what most of this board wanted : have klay come off the bench and close with him if he's hot. He was on fire last night but he still doesn't deserve to close? Even when the team couldn't score in the 4th after putting up 120 in the first 3 quarters? He had two of the better defensive plays late in the 4th last night, built up the lead with his scorching shooting and the board is like "when will kerr ever learn?!?!!?!?"

I thought the peak of Klay hate was the "locked on warriors" podcast but this board has definitely jumped the shark.

I'm not surprised he closed with Klay considering he had a good game. I just think long term, once you get down to the 4-5 minute mark other guys would do better closing. There's nothing jumping the shark about that. I just hope Steve figures that out sooner than later so we can stop weighing in on Klay after every game. Give the guy a role and stop the rollercoaster of articles, chatter, etc. (I also think it's best for the team).

Some people want closing lineups to be variable, I think it's generally best to close with a consistent group. Klay looked tired by the end, I think the sweet spot is playing him more like 20-24 minutes. By no means am I blaming Klay for the late run, I just don't see closing as his best role moving forward.

Overall Klay had a good game and it was nice to see him more in a role that makes sense for him.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#937 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:27 am

Klay earned a shot last night but he did nothing with it (talking about the 4th). If his shot isnt dropping, hes not helping, and his shot wasnt dropping. That said, you cant put him on the bench after he scored like he did in the 1st 3Qs and possibly found a role that best suits him. Now he can get warmed up against either tired starters in Q1 or against bench players, and since he's a momentum guy, see if it carries into the rest of the game

Team has to find a closing identity though. They turtle up and play not to lose instead of just icing the team. Kerr's done better lately, marginally, but the lineup to start the 4th was just tempting fate
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#938 » by DevinVassell » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:29 am

vvoland wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

No... he doesn't deserve to close.

Klay has an injury history and he's old as eff. He struggles to defend at the start of the game and you want him closing at the end when his legs are basically gone from under him. Have you been watching this season?

We need to close games with defense, hmm some interior presence, maybe some rebounding... and Klay ain't any of those things.

Its BENCHKLAY not CLOSINGKLAY.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#939 » by Impuniti » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:He was 0-4 in the 4th but the entire team only made 6 buckets in the 4th, so it was more of a collective meltdown

I'm not blaming Klay for this (he's the main reason they won), but it's not a coincidence that the team has all these meltdowns in the 4th. The average age of four of the main five guys that played the most minutes in games is 36 years old.

This is not a coincidence. Older guys don't have the ability to keep running and moving. OG Steph, Klay were outrunning and gassing teams in the 4th and killing them. You can't do that anymore.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#940 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 pm

[tweet
Read on Twitter
[/tweet]

Now that's a vet move to help his team contend for the present and future. And Conley is still impacting the game more positively than klay is right now.

Return to Golden State Warriors