is Klay done?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,305

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#1061 » by Onus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:46 pm

michaelm wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:DDV earning the bag he did by playing a year with us is great for him and the Warriors org. With OPJ, then DDV getting paid in consecutive seasons after spending a year here, vet FAs looking for an opportunity will know they can sign here for the minimum and Kerr will give them the minutes to earn the long-term deal they feel they deserve.

DDV going to NYK is a win-win for everyone.

Saric not so much though, bad for him and GSW he hasn’t prospered.

I liked DDV and am happy he has gone on to bigger and better things. In the glory days some players were flattered by how good they looked with GSW and fared less well subsequently elsewhere.

We gave Saric ample opportunity to thrive. We ran so much offense through him and gave him so many shots. His game just deteriorated as the season went on. It's like his legs gave out, couldn't shoot anymore, couldn't stay in front of anyone.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1062 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:01 pm

same thing happened with Bjelica, he was good early on for us then became a bench warmer

gave us like 3 good games in the playoffs tho
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#1063 » by michaelm » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:05 pm

Onus wrote:
michaelm wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:DDV earning the bag he did by playing a year with us is great for him and the Warriors org. With OPJ, then DDV getting paid in consecutive seasons after spending a year here, vet FAs looking for an opportunity will know they can sign here for the minimum and Kerr will give them the minutes to earn the long-term deal they feel they deserve.

DDV going to NYK is a win-win for everyone.

Saric not so much though, bad for him and GSW he hasn’t prospered.

I liked DDV and am happy he has gone on to bigger and better things. In the glory days some players were flattered by how good they looked with GSW and fared less well subsequently elsewhere.

We gave Saric ample opportunity to thrive. We ran so much offense through him and gave him so many shots. His game just deteriorated as the season went on. It's like his legs gave out, couldn't shoot anymore, couldn't stay in front of anyone.

Sure, no fault on the GSW side of things, just a counter example to DDV who unfortunately might be close to the end of the line for such occurrences.
Onus
RealGM

Post#1064 » by Onus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:13 pm

michaelm wrote:
Onus wrote:
michaelm wrote:Saric not so much though, bad for him and GSW he hasn’t prospered.

Sure, no fault on the GSW side of things, just a counter example to DDV who unfortunately might be close to the end of the line for such occurrences.

Going to be hard to sign anyone next year as there's just no real playing time available. Especially if Klay comes back.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#1065 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:25 pm

jozef wrote:I think it is a loss situation for Warriors cause he was great fit. In contrast Jordan Poole was mostly an iso player. So management had to find a way to keep a fit and move the other one. It is their role to identify those fits and be flexible with replacable ones. Another failure here in my opinion.

There was 0 opportunity, under the salary cap, to keep DDV if he had played well enough to get any offer above like $8M/yr. He got 4/46 when the most we could offer was something like 2/15 (if not less). I don't believe it would have mattered even if we got cap space, last summer, as the contract he signed with us meant he can only received a small raise from us on the next deal. Nothing to do with fit, or JP3 or anything other than the cap situation they found themselves in when the signed DDV in the first place.
vvoland
Senior

Post#1066 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:02 pm

Onus wrote:
michaelm wrote:
Onus wrote:We gave Saric ample opportunity to thrive. We ran so much offense through him and gave him so many shots. His game just deteriorated as the season went on. It's like his legs gave out, couldn't shoot anymore, couldn't stay in front of anyone.

Going to be hard to sign anyone next year as there's just no real playing time available. Especially if Klay comes back.

I wonder if you heard Klay on Dray's podcast and what you thought of the first part where talks about wanting to be back, struggling to accept his role, etc. We've heard bits and pieces of this in some post game comments before but not all at once.
Onus
RealGM

Post#1067 » by Onus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:52 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
michaelm wrote:Sure, no fault on the GSW side of things, just a counter example to DDV who unfortunately might be close to the end of the line for such occurrences.

I wonder if you heard Klay on Dray's podcast and what you thought of the first part where talks about wanting to be back, struggling to accept his role, etc. We've heard bits and pieces of this in some post game comments before but not all at once.

i think he has turned a corner. I think he was pressing too much trying to prove he was worth a max contract. You noticed he said he wanted a max contract in this interview. I think he's playing a little bit more freely and not just chucking when he gets the ball. He's played much better in the last few games. If he was playing like this throughout the season I wouldn't mind him back.

I do think he wants to come back. But I also think he wants as much money as possible. With the report that Orlando is looking to pay him (most likely put out by his agent and again right before the playoffs smh) he's going to try to get the most money possible. I think the Warriors would want him back at a discounted rate 2/48 or less, but if Orlando does back up the brinks truck for him they'll let him walk and say we just couldn't match what they offered so that the blood of breaking the core up isn't on their hands. Think this was always the goal. But if they do let him walk we probably will need another guard that can shoot, though maybe Lester is capable of filling that role. A backup unit of Podz, Lester, GP2 is still small but they would get after opponents defensively with ball pressure.
vvoland
Senior

Post#1068 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:47 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:Going to be hard to sign anyone next year as there's just no real playing time available. Especially if Klay comes back.

i think he has turned a corner. I think he was pressing too much trying to prove he was worth a max contract. You noticed he said he wanted a max contract in this interview. I think he's playing a little bit more freely and not just chucking when he gets the ball. He's played much better in the last few games. If he was playing like this throughout the season I wouldn't mind him back.

I do think he wants to come back. But I also think he wants as much money as possible. With the report that Orlando is looking to pay him (most likely put out by his agent and again right before the playoffs smh) he's going to try to get the most money possible. I think the Warriors would want him back at a discounted rate 2/48 or less, but if Orlando does back up the brinks truck for him they'll let him walk and say we just couldn't match what they offered so that the blood of breaking the core up isn't on their hands. Think this was always the goal. But if they do let him walk we probably will need another guard that can shoot, though maybe Lester is capable of filling that role. A backup unit of Podz, Lester, GP2 is still small but they would get after opponents defensively with ball pressure.

I think the change happened when he accepted the bench role (a game or two before the all-star break) and he's been playing within himself since. I know others disagree and some don't think he's turned any corners, at all.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#1069 » by michaelm » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:03 am

vvoland wrote:
jozef wrote:I think it is a loss situation for Warriors cause he was great fit. In contrast Jordan Poole was mostly an iso player. So management had to find a way to keep a fit and move the other one. It is their role to identify those fits and be flexible with replacable ones. Another failure here in my opinion.

There was 0 opportunity, under the salary cap, to keep DDV if he had played well enough to get any offer above like $8M/yr. He got 4/46 when the most we could offer was something like 2/15 (if not less). I don't believe it would have mattered even if we got cap space, last summer, as the contract he signed with us meant he can only received a small raise from us on the next deal. Nothing to do with fit, or JP3 or anything other than the cap situation they found themselves in when the signed DDV in the first place.

I hesitate to comment on these matters not being a capologist, but that was my impression as well. I am sure they would have kept DDV at 12 million a year if they could have rather than paying Poole or CP3 30 million, but I don’t think there was a mechanism for them to do so. As I understand it they kept the salary slot and for reasons I don’t fully understand CP3 being on a large expiring contract is also good.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#1070 » by superunknown » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:19 am

DDV's production/level of performance dropped considerably late in the season and in the playoffs, don't understand what some are regretting about.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,275

Post#1071 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:01 am

superunknown wrote:DDV's production/level of performance dropped considerably late in the season and in the playoffs, don't understand what some are regretting about.

But despite that he's leveled up this season, much more 3PA volume and even higher efficiency.

Knicks needed him to with all their injuries. We will see what he does in the playoffs though.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#1072 » by superunknown » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:56 am

wco81 wrote:
superunknown wrote:DDV's production/level of performance dropped considerably late in the season and in the playoffs, don't understand what some are regretting about.

But despite that he's leveled up this season, much more 3PA volume and even higher efficiency.

Knicks needed him to with all their injuries. We will see what he does in the playoffs though.

he can perform well for the NYK in these playoffs, still on warriors' perspective last summer the fact he permored badly late in the season plus playoffs (vs the freethrowtakers he was as bad as JP and klay) sealed the (no) deal considering the tag price. it has to be put into context. who cares what he does this year.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,275

Post#1073 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:47 am

If DVV stayed with the team, they probably would have gone a different way with the draft than Podz. That may or may not be a good thing, won't know for awhile.

Otherwise, if he could have raised his 3PA volume while maintaining the shooting percentages from last year as well as provide some ballandling for 25 MPG or more, he absolutely would have helped the team this year.

For all those who didn't want Klay to get so many minutes, a productive DDV would have given the team options. I know the same people who wanted to reduce Klay's role also are Moody stans. But he only played in garbage time last night, in one of the key remaining games of the season.

That should tip you off that it's probably going to be Klay in the playoffs rotation, not Moody. But DDV might have provided an alternative option, because Moses just hasn't been consistent enough shooter to get an expanded role.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#1074 » by xdrta+ » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:16 pm

I don't get this regret over DDV. It was pointed out by vvoland that the W's were extremely limited, by rule, in what they could offer. The numbers: The Knicks signed him to 4yr/$46.87M. The max the W's could offer was $5.4M for one year, with 5% raises amounting to $23,220,000 for 4 years. It was never going to happen.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,057

Post#1075 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:43 pm

xdrta+ wrote:I don't get this regret over DDV. It was pointed out by vvoland that the W's were extremely limited, by rule, in what they could offer. The numbers: The Knicks signed him to 4yr/$46.87M. The max the W's could offer was $5.4M for one year, with 5% raises amounting to $23,220,000 for 4 years. It was never going to happen.

ahhh all we would have needed to do is let Dray walk, trade Klay for pure capspace, stretch waive a couple people.. and then we could have Steph, DDV, Looney, GP2 and the young 20 somethings. The perfect plan!
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#1076 » by Nvnervous45 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:58 pm

The defense, our weak point would be decimated by the loss of dray. It would be a throw in the towel type of move.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#1077 » by jozef » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:41 pm

There are many options how to keep good roster. For sure giving guard Poole 30 M when point guard Steph and shooting guard Klay combined for 90 M is extremely stupid decision. Maybe early sign-and-trades could minimalize the damage. Late reality check and creating extremely unathletic and small frontcourt roster where a rookie saves the season are another mistakes. I am not interested in capology, it is the ballgame what I am passionate about but I am sure that spending 206 M on this group is a failure from front office and ownership standpoint.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#1078 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:I don't get this regret over DDV. It was pointed out by vvoland that the W's were extremely limited, by rule, in what they could offer. The numbers: The Knicks signed him to 4yr/$46.87M. The max the W's could offer was $5.4M for one year, with 5% raises amounting to $23,220,000 for 4 years. It was never going to happen.

ahhh all we would have needed to do is let Dray walk, trade Klay for pure capspace, stretch waive a couple people.. and then we could have Steph, DDV, Looney, GP2 and the young 20 somethings. The perfect plan!

Maybe stretch waive Steph as well, just to make sure we could have landed DDV in a bidding war.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#1079 » by michaelm » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:05 am

jozef wrote:There are many options how to keep good roster. For sure giving guard Poole 30 M when point guard Steph and shooting guard Klay combined for 90 M is extremely stupid decision. Maybe early sign-and-trades could minimalize the damage. Late reality check and creating extremely unathletic and small frontcourt roster where a rookie saves the season are another mistakes. I am not interested in capology, it is the ballgame what I am passionate about but I am sure that spending 206 M on this group is a failure from front office and ownership standpoint.

I would like to disdain capology as well, but it affects who they can keep and who they can sign. Poole was a player they drafted and could sign above the cap because they had his bird rights and at least keep the salary slot. Klay and Steph were signed above the cap on the basis of bird rights as well as I understand it. At the time they gave Poole the contract he had just contributed significantly to a title, the punch was a consideration, he hadn’t yet had his woeful next/last season and DDV hadn’t played a game for GSW and had been discarded by his previous team. DDV had a player option which he turned down for more money at the Knicks. I don’t know if they could have somehow turned CP3 into DDV, as I said I am not a capologist myself.

I also share the doubts of others regarding DDV’s play late season and in the play-offs last season. On the other hand maybe he was stifled at GSW minutes-wise and 3 point shooting-wise because he was playing next to Steph and Klay.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#1080 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:20 am

jozef wrote: I am not interested in capology,...

Well then, you shouldn't opine on what the team should and shouldn't do with contracts. Saying things like they failed with DDV shows you have no clue on what they can and can't do.

Return to Golden State Warriors