YES
81%
NO
19%

Total votes: 79

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Re: Is Moses Moody an NBA caliber player? 

Post#481 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:27 am

Moody got some run tonight vs. Memphis but maybe only because Podz got hit in the mouth and had to come out of the game.

But in garbage time Kerr emptied the bench except Moody still was there while Spencer got a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, a couple of times, Klay’s form on the catch and shoot looked like vintage Klay shot.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#482 » by Onus » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 pm

wco81 wrote:Moody got some run tonight vs. Memphis but maybe only because Podz got hit in the mouth and had to come out of the game.

But in garbage time Kerr emptied the bench except Moody still was there while Spencer got a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, a couple of times, Klay’s form on the catch and shoot looked like vintage Klay shot.

Moody is most likely still hurt
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#483 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Onus wrote:
wco81 wrote:Moody got some run tonight vs. Memphis but maybe only because Podz got hit in the mouth and had to come out of the game.

He’s suffering from bench splinters. He’s day to day. Hurt from what? He’s 21 and hasn’t played all year.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#484 » by vvoland » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:22 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:

He’s suffering from bench splinters. He’s day to day. Hurt from what? He’s 21 and hasn’t played all year.

Officially? Knee soreness. Typically skeptical of this type of stuff but don't see a reason to doubt it in this case.
wco81
RealGM

Post#485 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:22 pm

Supposedly a minutes restriction.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#486 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:35 pm

He hurt his knee in the Knicks game. It was reported at the time.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#487 » by floppymoose » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:51 pm

vvoland wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:Moody is most likely still hurt

Officially? Knee soreness. Typically skeptical of this type of stuff but don't see a reason to doubt it in this case.

I'm not skeptical. There hasn't been any hesitation to bench healthy players before. I don't see any signs that anyone is trying to make fake medical excuses.
wco81
RealGM

Post#488 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:08 am

So it's not even clear what the "start Moody over Klay" stans are arguing.

Do they think Moody could replace a lot of Klay's scoring potential and he defends better so it should be at least an equal tradeoff?

Has Moody even scored 25 in a game? Has he shown that kind of offensive prowess?

Is he getting more steals, blocks, altered shots, deflections with his wingspan?

That said, in recent games, they ran a couple of actions for him where he comes off a screen and he instantly rises, with a defender trailing or closing on him. He's hit a couple of those shots whereas earlier in the season he wouldn't pull that trigger.

I think most of his 3-point shots have been open, that is ball cycles to him because teams mostly chose to let him shoot instead of Curry or Klay.

Now he's going to have to learn to shoot and make shots over more contest than he's used to and it appears they've been working with him on that, as he has been taking the types of shots he wasn't taking, even earlier this season.

Against Houston, he was on the right wing and he crossed over and got real good separation for what would have been a right-win 3-pointer with some good daylight but he didn't pull the trigger.

With his long arms, he should be able to get some good separation off a crossover move and if he did a double step back like Curry and so many other players are incorporating into their games, he could be more effective on some pull-up 3s too.

Guess he's going to have to demonstrate these kinds of moves and shooting over contest in both practice and games to get more touches like that.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#489 » by watch1958 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:21 am

wco81 wrote:So it's not even clear what the "start Moody over Klay" stans are arguing.

Do they think Moody could replace a lot of Klay's scoring potential and he defends better so it should be at least an equal tradeoff?

Has Moody even scored 25 in a game? Has he shown that kind of offensive prowess?

Yes, he has.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#490 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:25 am

wco81 wrote:Is he getting more steals, blocks, altered shots, deflections with his wingspan?

Yes, easily. Moody is better across the board except on volume because he gets half of klays minutes. Klay shoots more, shoots better, and passes better. That's it.

Per 36, it's noticeable.
wco81
RealGM

Post#491 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:41 am

Nothing shows more than this game what a big mistake it was to draft Moody over Trey Murphy.

Moses may turn out to be a better defender, with the long wingspan, though Murphy has much more overall length.

Murphy looks for his shots. Moody just doesn't seem to be capable of becoming that kind of shooter.

New Orleans has all the length on the wings. And they're skinny but aggressive players, won't hesitate to shoot, something which Moses still does.

They compete on the defensive end too. It will be interesting to see what kind of extension the Pelicans give to Murphy. He's at best their fourth option but when Zion's been out, they've been giving him a ton of offensive touches and he's had big games.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#492 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:11 am

wco81 wrote:Nothing shows more than this game what a big mistake it was to draft Moody over Trey Murphy.

Moses may turn out to be a better defender, with the long wingspan, though Murphy has much more overall length.

Murphy looks for his shots. Moody just doesn't seem to be capable of becoming that kind of shooter.

New Orleans has all the length on the wings. And they're skinny but aggressive players, won't hesitate to shoot, something which Moses still does.

They compete on the defensive end too. It will be interesting to see what kind of extension the Pelicans give to Murphy. He's at best their fourth option but when Zion's been out, they've been giving him a ton of offensive touches and he's had big games.

Lmao didn’t age well
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#493 » by watch1958 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:13 am

wco81 wrote:Nothing shows more than this game what a big mistake it was to draft Moody over Trey Murphy.

Or maybe it was a mistake drafting Kuminga instead of Murphy.

Actually the real mistake was not trading Poole in the Summer of 22 for a guy like Murphy, or Herb Jones or a kid from a team like Orlando.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
wco81
RealGM

Post#494 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:54 am

EvanZ wrote:

Lmao didn’t age well

Some Warriors fan, laughing as the Warriors lose.

Murphy scored 24, Moses 9. Murphy had 8 rebounds.

Moody is an after thought while Murphy is at starter level.

Oh, your draft expertise must be at stake because you touted Moody for years.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#495 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:26 pm

wco81 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Lmao didn’t age well

Were you touting Trey Murphy? I mean, I'd take Murphy over Kuminga and Moody at this point. But we still haven't seen Moody been giving a real shot. We just see time and time again him producing and then getting pulled.

What I remember is about 2/3 of this forum wanted Davion Mitchell or James Bouknight. About 1/3 wanted Moody. I don't remember anyone strongly advocating for Trey Murphy III. Hindsight is always 20/20. Easy now for people to say who we "should have" taken.

We should have taken Murphy and Wagner clearly.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM

Post#496 » by Onus » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:13 pm

EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Lmao didn’t age well

Were you touting Trey Murphy? I mean, I'd take Murphy over Kuminga and Moody at this point. But we still haven't seen Moody been giving a real shot. We just see time and time again him producing and then getting pulled.

What I remember is about 2/3 of this forum wanted Davion Mitchell or James Bouknight. About 1/3 wanted Moody. I don't remember anyone strongly advocating for Trey Murphy III. Hindsight is always 20/20. Easy now for people to say who we "should have" taken.

We should have taken Murphy and Wagner clearly.

That draft is what killed the franchise. Not getting an impact player with either lottery pick when the draft was littered with impact players killed the dynasty. Thanks Bob
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#497 » by WarriorGM » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:06 pm

The draft that killed the franchise? They won a championship immediately afterward.

Moody has had a better performance in the playoffs than Murphy and is 21 to Murphy's 23. From what I can tell there is little to choose between the two.

Kuminga and Moody may well end up better than Murphy and Wagner. If they do, remember to rate Kerr as an awful coach.
Onus
RealGM

Post#498 » by Onus » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:42 pm

WarriorGM wrote:The draft that killed the franchise? They won a championship immediately afterward.

Moody has had a better performance in the playoffs than Murphy and is 21 to Murphy's 23. From what I can tell there is little to choose between the two.

Kuminga and Moody may well end up better than Murphy and Wagner. If they do, remember to rate Kerr as an awful coach.

There is no objective measure that either jk or moody are anywhere close to Murphy and Wagner.
wco81
RealGM

Post#499 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:10 pm

Onus wrote:That draft is what killed the franchise. Not getting an impact player with either lottery pick when the draft was littered with impact players killed the dynasty. Thanks Bob

Buck stopped with Myers or was he overruled in some of these picks?

Thing I worry about is whether the scouting department is the same and pushing similar recommendations up the chain.

So even though Myers is gone, who knows if they will keep getting the same flawed scouting reports.

Warriors are going to go back into the top 5 range in a few years.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#500 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:14 pm

Moody is an NBA quality 15 minute per game 8th man.

Warriors do not have a NBA quality starting off guard.
Moody is not showing that he is better than, Klay, Payton, and Podz but he is not showing that he is worse than Klay, Payton and Podz.

In this situation with 4 guards who are not reliably better than each other you play the guy who fits the situation which gives the coach a decision making opportunity.

After Curry and Kuminga who is our 3rd best scorer?
Good Klay is our 3rd best scorer but bad Klay is not our 3rd best scorer.
Wiggins and Chris Paul are our other candidates for 3rd best scorer. I do not want to ask Wiggins or Chris Paul to volume score because their efficiency would decline.

After the above group next best scorers are Trayce and Quinones. I could ask Quinones to volume score if I had to.

I can’t ask Moody to volume score but he is efficient at open shots.

If you want Moody to take Klay’s minutes he must be better than Klay or fill our need better than Klay.
We kind of need Klay as our 3rd best scorer but Klay fails at scoring efficiency in half his games but we really have no other option as 3rd scorer. Having no other option better than Klay as 3rd scoree means we are a bad team.

We could try to generate offense from defense but if I was trying to do that I would play Payton not Moody.

Return to Golden State Warriors