YES
81%
NO
19%

Total votes: 79

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Is Moses Moody an NBA caliber player? 

Post#401 » by EvanZ » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:05 am

It’s Brandon Rush. That was originally my “conservative” comp for Moody and it seems to still be the path he’s on.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#402 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:21 am

EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:People are SO invested in saying "I told you so" about their NBA draft evaluations.

Apparently they see something that the coaches, who study tape and see players almost every day in practice, doesn't see.

The reason he's not taking minutes from Klay is that he's not the shooter Klay is, in percentages or the way teams defend Klay vs. him.

Teams sell out on Klay so he gets some easy baskets for other players, like last night, Wizards let Kuminga go to the rim uncontested a couple of times as he crossed with Klay and defenders tried to stay attached to Klay.

Teams don't do that with Moody, who gets a lot of wide open looks. Despite that, he's around 36% on low shot attempt volume from 3, though more this season than his previous seasons.

If he had defensive impact like GP2, then his shooting wouldn't be as critical.

Of if he had an overall floor game like Podz, he'd get more minutes but he doesn't shoot as well as Podz and doesn't get rebounds or assists. Or necessarily defend better despite greater wingspan and length and experience.

Remember, Podz wasn't getting a lot of minutes at the start of this season either. But he impacted games and made Kerr give him more minutes.

Moody just hasn't had such minutes.

Moody actually has the 3rd most tightly contested 3PT shots on the team, which is saying something considering how little he plays.
who’s 4th, Saric, Wiggins Payton or Quinones?
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#403 » by WarriorGM » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:29 am

Looking at this lineups page it starts to make some sense why he's been played how he has been but still not enough

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moodymo01/lineups/2024
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#404 » by TB » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:38 am

EvanZ wrote:It’s Brandon Rush. That was originally my “conservative” comp for Moody and it seems to still be the path he’s on.

Yup this was my low to break even comp for him as well. I still think he’s already showing more Wes Mathews level potential though. I mean he’s basically already prime Rush as a 21 year old that barely plays.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#405 » by EvanZ » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:22 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
wco81 wrote:People are SO invested in saying "I told you so" about their NBA draft evaluations.

Apparently they see something that the coaches, who study tape and see players almost every day in practice, doesn't see.

The reason he's not taking minutes from Klay is that he's not the shooter Klay is, in percentages or the way teams defend Klay vs. him.

Teams sell out on Klay so he gets some easy baskets for other players, like last night, Wizards let Kuminga go to the rim uncontested a couple of times as he crossed with Klay and defenders tried to stay attached to Klay.

Teams don't do that with Moody, who gets a lot of wide open looks. Despite that, he's around 36% on low shot attempt volume from 3, though more this season than his previous seasons.

Of if he had an overall floor game like Podz, he'd get more minutes but he doesn't shoot as well as Podz and doesn't get rebounds or assists. Or necessarily defend better despite greater wingspan and length and experience.

Remember, Podz wasn't getting a lot of minutes at the start of this season either. But he impacted games and made Kerr give him more minutes.

Moody actually has the 3rd most tightly contested 3PT shots on the team, which is saying something considering how little he plays.

It’s actually Kuminga believe it or not.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#406 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:56 am

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Shocking.
Kuminga’s 3 isn’t so great that you must close out on him and you must sag off of Kuminga in fear of his drive.
I never expected Kuminga.
On the other hand Kuminga is probably in the top 6 for minutes played.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#407 » by michaelm » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:28 am

I don’t think it is anything to do with draft evaluations at this stage. People think his height/length could be useful given the team is short/small overal, has not gone well against at least a couple of tall teams this season and last, and that he looked good in the play-offs last year. He hasn’t looked all that good in spot minutes this season, whether down to him or because he has only played spot minutes. Many on here are of the view that the team shouldn’t close except situationally with a defensively challenged line up of Klay and 2 small guards.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#408 » by cladden » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:08 am

I was kinda surprised to find that Brandon Rush had a career 3PM% of .402. Moody needs to find his stroke again to get close to that. He's at .354 for the season and .36 for his career. He does have a higher volume per minute. I don't think Moody is quite peak Brandon Rush yet but he could get there.

I tend to like what he does out there even when his shots aren't falling though so I would like to keep him. You have to fill out your roster with a few low-upside role-players that don't get paid that much.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#409 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:47 am

TIL that Moody gets a ton of open shots (he doesn’t), doesn’t get rebounds (he does), nor does he defend as well as Podz (he does)

Also Moodys impact early in the season was among the best per minute on the team. He was rewarded with yo-yo minutes, a role where he just stood in the corner on offense and got few looks when open, yet maintained above average defense and rebounding

So I guess I took a serious step backwards in understanding numbers, and/or basketball as a whole, today
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#410 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:53 am

cladden wrote:I was kinda surprised to find that Brandon Rush had a career 3PM% of .402. Moody needs to find his stroke again to get close to that. He's at .354 for the season and .36 for his career. He does have a higher volume per minute. I don't think Moody is quite peak Brandon Rush yet but he could get there.

I tend to like what he does out there even when his shots aren't falling though so I would like to keep him. You have to fill out your roster with a few low-upside role-players that don't get paid that much.

Brandon Rush is who they are allowing him to be, and really that’s fine for now. As long as they play Rush, anyways

He’s a system player though, and the Warriors offensive system with Steph/Dray requires a lot of improv and that’s just not his jam. Probably why he does better w Podz and the younger folks, who play more traditionally
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#411 » by GunnerWRX » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:54 am

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Interesting. Especially lately, teams are letting / daring Kuminga to shoot and leaving him open, because they would rather him not drive. He seems to be wide open at the 3pt line (but not shooting often) lately.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#412 » by Sandy333 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:19 pm

Agree, both Moody and Kuminga have been wasted with no development. Podz with his all-round play has saved Kerrs ass and got him this new contract. Lebron developed a great 3point late in the career so no reason Moody and Kuminga shouldn't have developed a 40% 3pt shot. It's player motivation or lack of coaching. In either cases both need to be traded either for the Teams benefit or the player benefit.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#413 » by Onus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:29 pm

Well at least Moody is back in the rotation. Let's see if he can earn a real rotation spot. Going to be tough to beat out Klay, GP2, JK, Wiggins for minutes.

I think really he needs to show some versatility so he can get out of being just a 3. Show he can guard 1-4. Can dribble and makes some passes. Biggest thing really is for him to prove he can guard 4s consistently, since the 4 is our biggest hole.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#414 » by Sandy333 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:33 pm

Onus wrote:Well at least Moody is back in the rotation. Let's see if he can earn a real rotation spot. Going to be tough to beat out Klay, GP2, JK, Wiggins for minutes.

I think really he needs to show some versatility so he can get out of being just a 3. Show he can guard 1-4. Can dribble and makes some passes. Biggest thing really is for him to prove he can guard 4s consistently, since the 4 is our biggest hole.

He just needs to shoot better than klay, create better than klay. That was his goal from the time he joined warriors.
Onus
RealGM

Post#415 » by Onus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Onus wrote:Well at least Moody is back in the rotation. Let's see if he can earn a real rotation spot. Going to be tough to beat out Klay, GP2, JK, Wiggins for minutes.

He just needs to shoot better than klay, create better than klay. That was his goal from the time he joined warriors.

He's never going to shoot better than Klay. He needs to take advantage of this opportunity like Podz did.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#416 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:12 pm

Imagine if Podz had Moody's length and wingspan.

Moody, and Kuminga for that matter, have the physical traits to do some of the things that SGA or Jalen Williams are doing, that is have a midrange game from the elbows in, with the ability to shoot fadeaways or use footwork and ball fakes to get good high-percentage shots in the paint.

Of course there are a lot of wing-sized players you can say that about but they never develop the handles.

SGA is crafty by using his off hands to push off and he's been getting away with it since he was a rookie. Williams has a 43-inch vertical -- how did he last until #12 in his draft class? -- so he uses bounce and handles to get separation, which is his big fadeaway pull up.
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#417 » by Sandy333 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:42 am

Onus wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:

He's never going to shoot better than Klay. He needs to take advantage of this opportunity like Podz did.
I meant Moody is already a better defender than Klay, his shooting was at good baseline level
When he joined the team.fact that he has nor improved much is down to coaching. He is still a better shooter than Podz currently.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,018

Post#418 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:00 am

Moses Moody is the new Looney for us -- the guy who does everything and is a huge plus without having to score a lot. The team is just different with him out there. He's a complimentary player who boosts good players, him with Dray/Steph looks great. I don't want to see another DNP or garbage time only minutes game for this guy.

It's his time to fly!

Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,049

Post#419 » by Jester_ » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:15 pm

Y'all see my boy make Brunson his bitch last night?
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Onus
RealGM

Post#420 » by Onus » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:36 pm

Sandy333 wrote:
Onus wrote:
Sandy333 wrote: He just needs to shoot better than klay, create better than klay. That was his goal from the time he joined warriors.

I meant Moody is already a better defender than Klay, his shooting was at good baseline level
When he joined the team.fact that he has nor improved much is down to coaching. He is still a better shooter than Podz currently.

I mean everyone is a better defender than Klay. Klay currently is a cone. His rebounding is horrific. Really I think Moody needs to prove that we don't need Klay for next year. He needs to make it completely obvious. It's obvious defensively, but Kerr for some reason doesn't care about defense now.

Is Moody a better shooter than Podz? Podz is a better on ball shooter, but Moody can get his shot off on more closeouts. Really it's probably a wash even though Podz has gotten more up than Moses ever has. But neither is really an elite shooter right now, though this being Podz 1st year gives him some room. Moses also hasn't had a solid rotation minutes so he's never gotten settled either so there's some room for improvement. But they aren't the next coming of the splash brothers.

Return to Golden State Warriors