ImageImageImageImageImage

There's a proven blueprint for success. So why didn't the Dubs follow it?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,285

Re: There's a proven blueprint for success. So why didn't the Dubs follow it? 

Post#41 » by Onus » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:40 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:The blueprint was small ball before other teams caught on.

Other teams have now caught on.

In addition, Warriors now face inability to sign impactful vets.

The REAL secret sauce is signing title hunting impactful vets. When they don't have them, they lose.

But we did sign at least 1 impactful vet
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#42 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 pm

WarriorGM wrote:During the Dubs championship years, they had a proven blueprint for success if you look at their roster construction.

You had Steph, Klay, and Draymond. Then you had Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut or Barnes and Iguodala. They were so lethal they were called the Death Lineup.

Then you had the years with KD and they were just overwhelming.

You had Steph, Klay, and Draymond on rookie contracts once upon a time. Or at least, you had Klay and Draymond on rookie deals and Steph on arguably the best contract of all time. Then you had a once in a lifetime cap increase that enabled them to snag KD.

Why haven't they repeated this "blueprint"? Just do the math.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#43 » by Old_Blue » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:25 pm

Regardless of the sport, the one true proven blueprint for success is defense. The "death lineup" was named as such because of its ability to completely shut down opponent offenses. The lasting memories of the Warriors' 2014-2019 teams will not just be of Curry and Klay's emergence as the greatest shooting backcourt of all time - but also of opposing teams routinely struggling to score for long stretches during which the Dubs erased 15 or 20 point deficits. With that kind of defense, it's essentially a cat playing with a mouse, night in and night out. That will be the focus of the next great Warriors team. Absent the defense, the most you can aspire to is some variation of Nellie Ball.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,693

Post#44 » by WarriorGM » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:06 am

EvanZ wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:During the Dubs championship years, they had a proven blueprint for success if you look at their roster construction.

You had Steph, Klay, and Draymond. Then you had Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut or Barnes and Iguodala. They were so lethal they were called the Death Lineup.

You had Steph, Klay, and Draymond on rookie contracts once upon a time. Or at least, you had Klay and Draymond on rookie deals and Steph on arguably the best contract of all time. Then you had a once in a lifetime cap increase that enabled them to snag KD.

Why haven't they repeated this "blueprint"? Just do the math.

Didn't you read the next paragraph? The team won in 2022 did they not?

I provide this blueprint framework as a way of looking at the team and determining what has worked and what has not and to give better direction in one's way of thinking on what the team might want to do.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#45 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:31 am

The people who built the team are gone. The remaining have demonstrated lack of judgment or the inability to change their ways. They don’t have anyone with a proven track record to make the calls to bring this team back. Instead of searching for a great candidate, they chose Dunleavy which seems like a weird hire. What has he done to warrant such a leap? He doesn’t have anything major to hang on his belt that said I accomplished this.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,805

Post#46 » by floppymoose » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:53 pm

Old_Blue wrote:My sense is that the Lacobs started meddling to a great degree in the process of roster construction, to the chagrin and eventual departure of Myers. Joe Lacob is on record as saying that Wiseman was his #1 and calling him a "once in a decade kind of guy."

I think you can safely ignore praise from owners, gms, and coaches. Its a small league. If course you are going to praise the members of your org.
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 203

Post#47 » by BayAreaDub » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:01 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:The people who built the team are gone. The remaining have demonstrated lack of judgment or the inability to change their ways. They don’t have anyone with a proven track record to make the calls to bring this team back. Instead of searching for a great candidate, they chose Dunleavy which seems like a weird hire. What has he done to warrant such a leap? He doesn’t have anything major to hang on his belt that said I accomplished this.

It's what's below Mike's belt that makes him the ideal candidate
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#48 » by Warriorfan » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:39 am

Blueprint capitalize on the gravity of Curry play small ball team defense on a string.

Biggest problem playing defense on the road having Wiggins for more than 40gms and GP2 should fix that.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#49 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:10 am

BayAreaDub wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:The people who built the team are gone. The remaining have demonstrated lack of judgment or the inability to change their ways. They don’t have anyone with a proven track record to make the calls to bring this team back. Instead of searching for a great candidate, they chose Dunleavy which seems like a weird hire. What has he done to warrant such a leap? He doesn’t have anything major to hang on his belt that said I accomplished this.

It's what's below Mike's belt that makes him the ideal candidate

Ok Thugleavy. When this board called him Manleavy, it was meant as a joke, didn’t think Lacob would take it seriously.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,261

Post#50 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Aug 2, 2023 11:45 pm

But then after KD left the team rebuilt and found success with a lineup of Steph, Klay and Draymond with the addition of Wiggins and Looney or in the finals against the Celtics Otto Porter Jr. in place of Looney.

Now compare the above lineups to the main lineups the Dubs were trotting out in the playoffs this year. Does anything stick out to anyone else? In place of Looney or Porter Jr. the Dubs were putting in JaMychal Green and GPII against the Lakers. Did anyone really think that would be an improvement?

In hindsight I would say the JaMychal Green signing was pretty fatal for the team's chances this year because he was ineffective as a substitute for Looney in that lineup. Wiseman was a distraction. Kuminga or Lamb had to fill in but they were either unready or Kerr wouldn't play them. GPII was simply out of place and Donte unfortunately looked better than he really was. That's 5 players that couldn't really fill in that the team desperately needed to fill the hole.

We got priced out from otto porter..In theory kuminga could provide to us something similar to young HB, which is versatility, athleticism, and some spot up shooting.

We do not have a defensive anchor quite like bogut, but looney gives us that steady presence at C.

I think poole wetting the bed and losing Kerr's confidence was one of the biggest factor for our loss to the lakers. That and klay averaging about 21% FG for the last three games. If those two could have given us more than 16 points combined in the last few games...

Now with CP3 to steady the second unit, hopefully moody and especially kuminga ready to contribute more, and the upgrade from JMG to Dario, we may have a good bench again.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#51 » by WarriorGM » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:58 pm

I'm bumping this because I still find myself asking the question over and over this year.

If Klay cannot be a starter anymore the lineup the blueprint suggests the current Warriors need to develop is Steph, Draymond, Wiggins, Kuminga, and Moody.

The above lineup makes the most sense from a two timelines and drafting perspective too. Kuminga and Moody are currently the highest drafted of the younger players which indicates they probably are the ones with the most potential.

The current reliance on Podz seems less than optimal in this framework. Chris Paul does not look like the answer either. That Quinones is getting more minutes than Moody is baffling.

Using this viewpoint Kerr is an inescapable problem. The attempt to get Klay and Wiggins back to their old selves was understandable but the other recent moves aren't.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#52 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:13 pm

WarriorGM wrote:I'm bumping this because I still find myself asking the question over and over this year.

If Klay cannot be a starter anymore the lineup the blueprint suggests the current Warriors need to develop is Steph, Draymond, Wiggins, Kuminga, and Moody.

The above lineup makes the most sense from a two timelines and drafting perspective too. Kuminga and Moody are currently the highest drafted of the younger players which indicates they probably are the ones with the most potential.

The current reliance on Podz seems less than optimal in this framework. Chris Paul does not look like the answer either. That Quinones is getting more minutes than Moody is baffling.

Using this viewpoint Kerr is an inescapable problem. The attempt to get Klay and Wiggins back to their old selves was understandable but the other recent moves aren't.

To me, the current answer is, at minimum, get an upgrade over everybody that is not named Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Draymond. That's not happening this season. So it's an off season plan. As is, this is not a contending team. But at least they have the assets to make the roster better.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#53 » by WarriorGM » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:26 pm

killmongrel wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:I'm bumping this because I still find myself asking the question over and over this year.

To me, the current answer is, at minimum, get an upgrade over everybody that is not named Steph/Wiggins/Kuminga/Draymond. That's not happening this season. So it's an off season plan. As is, this is not a contending team. But at least they have the assets to make the roster better.

Moody was perfectly playable in the playoffs last year. There is no real reason to think he shouldn't be this year too especially with more experience playing in the regular season which he is mystifyingly not getting.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#54 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:42 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Moody was perfectly playable in the playoffs last year. There is no real reason to think he shouldn't be this year too especially with more experience playing in the regular season which he is mystifyingly not getting.

For whatever reason, Kerr just doesn't like him. So this off season, if there isn't a big fish to trade for, build around the proven guys that are both starters and closers.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#55 » by watch1958 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:22 pm

killmongrel wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

For whatever reason, Kerr just doesn't like him. So this off season, if there isn't a big fish to trade for, build around the proven guys that are both starters and closers.
Deep inside, I think Kerr is ashamed of how he has handled the Klay/Moody thing. So he keeps doubling down, hoping that some strange combination of guys will pop up to justify what he has already done.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#56 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:25 pm

I just don't get Quinones getting minutes over Moody. He's just not that good. I honestly think he's not an NBA player and he'll end up in New Zealand like Lamb. Just makes all this seem super weird to me.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#57 » by watch1958 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:I just don't get Quinones getting minutes over Moody. He's just not that good. I honestly think he's not an NBA player and he'll end up in New Zealand like Lamb. Just makes all this seem super weird to me.
Quinones isn't competing for contract dollars with Klay this off season. Also, Kerr isn't really about the team having the best chance to win. He wants Steph and Klay and Draymond to have the best chance to win doing it their way.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#58 » by TB » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:40 pm

EvanZ wrote:I just don't get Quinones getting minutes over Moody. He's just not that good. I honestly think he's not an NBA player and he'll end up in New Zealand like Lamb. Just makes all this seem super weird to me.

I think Kerr is so set in his "roles" and "rotations" that he's simply got Q playing the CoJo role. I don't think Kerr sees Q as a roadblock for Moody getting minutes.

But I agree with you in the sense that I wouldn't worry about the position match, I'd just give Moody those minutes and play bigger and trust others to bring the ball up every once and a while (its not like Q is some playmaker combo guard).
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#59 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:42 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Quinones isn't competing for contract dollars with Klay this off season. Also, Kerr isn't really about the team having the best chance to win. He wants Steph and Klay and Draymond to have the best chance to win doing it their way.

Good lord this is spot on.

Remember, Kerr basically had to be bullied into giving Kuminga a longer leash.
He had to have a full body reaction to Klay fouling Westbrook before finally benching him.

Kerr is "special".
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,048

Post#60 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:09 pm

I really like Q actually... hes a microwave scorer whos not good enough to ever threaten for a big payday. I mean thats not that valuable, but it is kinda rare to have a guy who's adept at scoring while likely not being worth more than a TPMLE

The Barbosa's and Speights' of the world can have some value sometimes. Never hurts to have one in your back pocket

Playing over Moody is inexcusable but at this stage I cant even be bothered with it. Its asinine, and annoying to even try and find the logic

Return to Golden State Warriors