ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Re: Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul 

Post#441 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:06 am

I was sort of hoping by the time it became official we would have coaxed Muscala out of them, but if that happened I expect we would have heard by now.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Re: Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul 

Post#442 » by HiRez » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:46 am

Why the interest in Muscala? Yes, he's shoots 3s OK, but he's not a passer, provides no rim defense, and his rebounding rate is barely better than the much-criticized Kuminga's despite being 2 inches taller. I'm not an expert on his game but other than shooting 3s he also doesn't seem like a great fit for Kerr's offense.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#443 » by WarriorGM » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:26 am

HiRez wrote:Why the interest in Muscala? Yes, he's shoots 3s OK, but he's not a passer, provides no rim defense, and his rebounding rate is barely better than the much-criticized Kuminga's despite being 2 inches taller. I'm not an expert on his game but other than shooting 3s he also doesn't seem like a great fit for Kerr's offense.

Cheap veteran. If you have better options would love to hear them.

Does any big seem like a great fit for Kerr's offense? All the athletic ones on the team haven't stuck. Muscala's weaknesses tend to be Draymond's and Looney's strengths so he'd be complementary.

He's mostly been on bad teams but has managed to stick around despite not being a name and his numbers haven't collapsed despite the unfavorable circumstances. I like how his numbers actually got better as the young Thunder team he was with got older and improved which seems to indicate upside with better players.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#444 » by a8bil » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:43 am

The benefit you hope to get from CP3 that we were not getting from Poole, is someone who will actively work to get the ball to players like JK, Moody, and Podz in a position where we can score. Poole was terribly inefficient last year, which was his biggest sin, because he became a volume scorer, and left his teammates standing around as observers. CP3 hopefully won't do that. With less minutes, I'm hoping CP3 can remain healthy, but he's fighting the age and time battle so the odds keep stacking against him.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#445 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:52 am

Onus wrote:Poole gave up on the team last year and was really selfish. I understand the circumstances but he was really bad and kerr basically gave him unlimited chances at the detriment of the team. It really will be addition by subtraction just because he won't be gifted minutes while tanking the team. Add in cp3 was still a top 50 player last year and we should be a lot better.

For everything we disagree about I cosign this 100%
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#446 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:12 am

HiRez wrote:Why the interest in Muscala? Yes, he's shoots 3s OK, but he's not a passer, provides no rim defense, and his rebounding rate is barely better than the much-criticized Kuminga's despite being 2 inches taller. I'm not an expert on his game but other than shooting 3s he also doesn't seem like a great fit for Kerr's offense.

He’s actually awesome. You ever watch OKC? He was often their best player when Shai was out.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,018

Post#447 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:33 am

Onus wrote:Poole gave up on the team last year and was really selfish. I understand the circumstances but he was really bad and kerr basically gave him unlimited chances at the detriment of the team. It really will be addition by subtraction just because he won't be gifted minutes while tanking the team. Add in cp3 was still a top 50 player last year and we should be a lot better.

The video below was the first indication I recall seeing that Poole wasn't ready to be a long term part of the Warriors dynasty. He played great two seasons ago, bought in to Dray's tough love, bought into hustle and bought into a role with the team.

Last season, I think he checked out right from the beginning. Draymond clocking him obviously contributed, but I think Dray's outburst was linked to him seeing all the wrong habits and body language from Poole.

But the damage was done, starting with Poole getting his "bag". His priority was getting paid(understandably) and his contributions to a championship was more a means to that end than and end unto itself.

After getting paid he had no more interest in Dray's barking, no more interest in being Steph's understudy, no more interest in improving on defense and no more interest in getting his teammates involved as the main playmaker and primary ball handler off the bench.

I don't blame Kerr for any of this. The personnel was what it was and there wasn't anybody else that Kerr could turn to, even to bring the ball up court. Ty Jerome in the playoffs? I'm skeptical. I think the team hoped they would get the prior year's playoffs Poole, but unfortunately he went in the opposite direction.

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,065

Post#448 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:41 am

Its hard to describe because he's been on so many losing teams, but his metrics and peripherals don't line up terribly well, and havent his entire career. It doesnt necessarily mean he's a "breakout" kind of player at 32, but it does point to being a better player than his stats signify

Yes, his main ability is the 3 ball. And he's not much for creating shots.. but he's not a ballstopper. He barely turns the ball over. While the defensive counting stats arent there, he's got a solid deflection % for a C. He's not great at securing rebounds, especially contested ones, but thats something our system actually accounts for - keep in mind that Looney's numbers are pumped up because our switch/stay system often leaves him against someone much smaller than himself on defense, and on offense he's often times left all alone so he just reads the rebounds. Now with Muscala that wouldnt happen because they'd never leave him alone, so it adds a different wrinkle to our offensive game in having him. And he wouldnt upset the motion offense, and might be passable on defense a la Nemo was

It doesnt matter because the Wizards are keeping him and I dont think there's a way we can acquire him that makes sense - not sure if using minimums to meet his salary is viable, and if so we'd still be looking at 2 months before its possible. But if he were available, I'd think he's right up there with Saric in terms of stylistic fit that doesnt hurt the team dramatically in other areas
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#449 » by Dom801e » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:26 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

Its hard to describe because he's been on so many losing teams, but his metrics and peripherals don't line up terribly well, and havent his entire career. It doesnt necessarily mean he's a "breakout" kind of player at 32, but it does point to being a better player than his stats signify

Yes, his main ability is the 3 ball. And he's not much for creating shots.. but he's not a ballstopper. He barely turns the ball over. While the defensive counting stats arent there, he's got a solid deflection % for a C. He's not great at securing rebounds, especially contested ones, but thats something our system actually accounts for - keep in mind that Looney's numbers are pumped up because our switch/stay system often leaves him against someone much smaller than himself on defense, and on offense he's often times left all alone so he just reads the rebounds. Now with Muscala that wouldnt happen because they'd never leave him alone, so it adds a different wrinkle to our offensive game in having him. And he wouldnt upset the motion offense, and might be passable on defense a la Nemo was

It doesnt matter because the Wizards are keeping him and I dont think there's a way we can acquire him that makes sense - not sure if using minimums to meet his salary is viable, and if so we'd still be looking at 2 months before its possible. But if he were available, I'd think he's right up there with Saric in terms of stylistic fit that doesnt hurt the team dramatically in other areas

What do the metrics look like for Biyombo? He seemed to have decent BBIQ the few times I’ve seen him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,785

Post#450 » by Upperclass » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:09 am

Poole worked extremely hard to go from a late first, Gleague player to a 20ppg scorer on a team that needed scoring.

Klay came back and the team disregarded Poole's efforts, work, and contributions to get the band back together, along with helping the team to the 2nd best record in the west as a starter in '22. Klay returns and he immediately resumes his starting position, Poole is left to figure it out on the fly.

Which he does.. Poole leads the Warriors into the playoffs(when they were starting to spiral) and the first-round win over Denver with Steph out and then returning off the bench.

Poole is the team's 3rd best player in the playoffs at a time when Dray gets benched vs the Celts and Klay is mostly ineffective.. Particularly on defense, where its only commented on how bad Poole's defense is.

The team wins a chip due to Curry and Wiggins essentially with bits and pieces chipping in.

Poole gets clocked in front of the entire team and coaching staff to start the season. The offender isn't disciplined. He's given a large contract to essentially make it go away.

Despite distractions, Poole continues to be one of the teams most impactful players, averaging more assists and fewer shots per game than Klay who stated publicly that Poole should pass more. With similar poor defense metrics.

The entire team plays poorly vs the Lakers(refs helped alot obv). And the team goes home.. Poole seems to be the only one scape goated for the Teams performance. Not dray for getting the season started off on a sour note. Not Klay for acting entitled and insecure, not Myers for not adding to the championship teams weaknesses, not Kerrs inability to develop young players that can help in spots and keep their confidence up. Just Poole.

He's better off in Washington where he'll be top 3 in the league in scoring. Dubs are better off without him to scapegoat so they can truly see where their issues lie moving forward.. with Klays diminishing contributions, and Dray's just wanting to get one last contract.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,808

Post#451 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:19 am

Muscala would be a huge coup on a min deal. I don't know why the rest of the league would allow that.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#452 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:59 am

Upperclass wrote:He's better off in Washington where he'll be top 3 in the league in scoring, top 2 in the league in turnovers, worst ass/TO ratio in the league, worst +/- in the league and the most inneficient metrics in the league by far.

Added in for context.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#453 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:13 pm

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#454 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:14 pm

floppymoose wrote:Muscala would be a huge coup on a min deal. I don't know why the rest of the league would allow that.

He’s not a free agent but his contract is $3M which is essentially a vet min for him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#455 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:34 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

and yet, Steve kept playing him. he didn't really get benched until like 85 games into the season.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,065

Post#456 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:33 pm

Dom801e wrote:What do the metrics look like for Biyombo? He seemed to have decent BBIQ the few times I’ve seen him.

not great.. before last season I'd argue hes not even worth a roster spot anywhere in the league, due to him being such a massive offensive liability. He had an OK year last year, but looks to be mostly smoke and mirrors. Main thing the guy is good at is post defense, but that's a dying art in the game. Like being fluent in Latin, its cool, but its not very useful

For all his strength, he's not much of an impact team rebounder, awful hands, and his shot blocking (while somewhat useful) only works if you keep him around the rim, likely in zone more than man. So to bring him in is a very niche fit that will cause problems too, as its not like the 2nd unit is going to be offensively powerful as is.. certainly not powerful enough to accommodate an offensive zero with defensive limitations

But the most damning thing is that the Suns, who are really selling out to win this year, have not brought him back despite his OK year with them last year. Even they dont believe in it.. why should we?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#457 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:14 pm

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#458 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:19 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:

Realistically, I also think it says some things if you are clearly not a star, you don't put up big stats, and you stay in the league as long as he has. And among whatever else, it likely means that you know your role, you listen, and you learn. If we know the guy is biggish, can shoot a bit, and is likely someone who knows his place and is willing to listen and learn, that's likely all we can hope for at this point in a big. And his salary lines up well.

Which all might also be why Washington didn't include him heh

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#459 » by Dom801e » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:48 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Dom801e wrote:What do the metrics look like for Biyombo? He seemed to have decent BBIQ the few times I’ve seen him.

not great.. before last season I'd argue hes not even worth a roster spot anywhere in the league, due to him being such a massive offensive liability. He had an OK year last year, but looks to be mostly smoke and mirrors. Main thing the guy is good at is post defense, but that's a dying art in the game. Like being fluent in Latin, its cool, but its not very useful

For all his strength, he's not much of an impact team rebounder, awful hands, and his shot blocking (while somewhat useful) only works if you keep him around the rim, likely in zone more than man. So to bring him in is a very niche fit that will cause problems too, as its not like the 2nd unit is going to be offensively powerful as is.. certainly not powerful enough to accommodate an offensive zero with defensive limitations

But the most damning thing is that the Suns, who are really selling out to win this year, have not brought him back despite his OK year with them last year. Even they dont believe in it.. why should we?

Thanks. From what I’ve seen he’s capable if switched outside. But is still reluctant to switch so gets there late and allows too many open 3’s. Didn’t even consider hands because I didn’t notice anything in the limited minutes.

One of the things I like about TJD is he looks to have above average hands.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,808

Post#460 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:43 pm

adjusted plus/minus had Muscala as a top100 player, and Biyombo as around the worst in the league (500+).

Return to Golden State Warriors