ImageImageImageImageImage

Why do i feel that Dubs will not be extending Klay next season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Why do i feel that Dubs will not be extending Klay next season? 

Post#61 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 pm

HiRez wrote:
EvanZ wrote:They'll bring Klay back for 3/$54M with a player option in the 3rd year.

This doesn't sound unlikely but why $54M? Seems oddly specific.

That's just my estimate.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#62 » by vvoland » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 pm

EvanZ wrote:
HiRez wrote:
EvanZ wrote:They'll bring Klay back for 3/$54M with a player option in the 3rd year.

This doesn't sound unlikely but why $54M? Seems oddly specific.

That's just my estimate.

18/yr seems about right considering what the other 2guards are making. If anyone wants to take a look at what that position looks like, just check out spotrac's list of avg salaries for 2guards. Beal, Harden, lavine, Klay and JP3 are all top 10 with the former 4 all top 5. It's just a dumpster fire of a position these days. If you extend it out to next season, Ant and Bane make the top 10 but it drops off quickly from there: JP3, Herro, RJ Barret, Vassel, Simons and Bruce Brown are 9-14 by avg salary. Even Evan Fournier is 17th at 18/yr. The only guy I would categorize as "underpaid" would be Reaves at 13M but how the lakers got away with that is mindboggling.
Scotty2Hotty
Junior
And1: 87

Post#63 » by Scotty2Hotty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am

svart wrote:Yeah, scotty, you are corect. We got rid of Poole who played at an MVP level this season for old man CP3. And while we could have kept the Shaqtin a fool MVP and his salary for three more years, we now will shed Paul's non-guaranteed contract this summer. What a disaster!

if you think that the poole/cp3 trade led to our downfall then i don't really know what to tell you beside the fact you don't see the forest for the trees.

Didn't say Poole/CP3 in and of itself led to the 10th seed and one-game exit. But read back up this thread and you'll see CDM_Stats and others doubling down on CP3's addition REALLY bolstering our defense...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2300877
Scotty2Hotty
Junior

Post#64 » by Scotty2Hotty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 am

billinder33 wrote:Ultimately, he's a bad fit for the system, too expensive

I mentioned that last Summer. Multiple times. And was told we'll be better short and long term...the data will bear that out.

Yet we go from 6th seed to 10th seed and one & done.
Scotty2Hotty
Junior

Post#65 » by Scotty2Hotty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:05 am

CDM_Stats wrote:he absolutely crushed Poole in terms of impact

Wins across the board. Short term and long term, a good move

Still delusional. Still falling on your broken sword on that hill.

You'll never ever admit you were wrong. Wrong from the start...and you knew it.
Scotty2Hotty
Junior

Post#66 » by Scotty2Hotty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:This seems like a situation where someone had a golden opportunity to let an embarrassing take die in silence, but instead convinced themself it was still clever and shot themself in the foot.

That occurred on 6/22/23.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#67 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm

Scotty2Hotty wrote:

I mentioned that last Summer. Multiple times. And was told we'll be better short and long term...the data will bear that out.

Well if just going by wins, the Ws were 2 wins better than last year, so 'in theory' they were better.

I don't think you can look at playoff seedings since the same record will get you a different seeding every year. But if you want to compare playoff performance, the prior year Ws lost their first playoff game to the Kings (first 2 actually, before coming back to the win the series), so to me that's a wash.

Given that JP had become a locker room cancer by late last year, and based on his performance in WAS this year, do you think the Ws would have been better with JP over CP, and why?
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#68 » by superunknown » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm

billinder33 wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:

Well if just going by wins, the Ws were 2 wins better than last year, so 'in theory' they were better.

I don't think you can look at playoff seedings since the same record will get you a different seeding every year. But if you want to compare playoff performance, the prior year Ws lost their first playoff game to the Kings (first 2 actually, before coming back to the win the series), so to me that's a wash.

Given that JP had become a locker room cancer by late last year, and based on his performance in WAS this year, do you think the Ws would have been better with JP over CP, and why?

JP became "a locker room cancer" because of dray and the way the FO (mis)handled the whole episode. let's stop acting like it was JP's fault.
having said that, it's not just about ths season record. JP main issue was the awful D and the fact he could not run the second unit as backup PG. but he performed well as a SG starter next to curry in 2021-2022 when the dubs had one of the best record in the league before klay's return. and it's not coincidence his best playoff series was in round 1 against DEN the same year when, due to steph injury, he was starting again. in fact the thing is not JP vs CP but JP vs klay. awful D for awful D I'd rather had JP as a starter SG then klay, whose negative impact on the team this season was way beyond the mere numbers.
JP vs CP is too early to determine, you gotta wait and see what they do with paul's contract.
they just let him walk for free, the whole trade was just a 1 year long 30M slot salary dump that went in the opposite direction of "maximizing steph's window".
they pick it up and trade it for a star player can help them competing moving forward then yes, the swap had sense in perspective.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#69 » by Impuniti » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm

billinder33 wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:

No in theory they weren't better. In reality, last season they got kicked out of the western conference SF and this season they lost in a playin game where the opposition was missing 2 critical players. Those are some incredible magical mental gymnastics to go through explaining how they lost the first two games and it's a wash.

Also we don't know if JP was a locker room cancer, if anyone holds that title it's Draymond. He talked about the "positive vibes" this season and we saw how that nonsense turned out. (Not advocating they kept JP btw, good on Dunn to move him).
Scotty2Hotty
Junior

Post#70 » by Scotty2Hotty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 pm

billinder33 wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:

Good points. Still, we were a 6-seed the season prior, giving us the opportunity to beat them in 7 games. No different than being down 2-1 going into Game 4 at Boston in 2022. Many said that series was over.

As for improving two wins this season over 2023, let’s not forget Wiggs was out the 2nd half of the 2023 season. Also, Kuminga was nowhere near the dominant player he became in 2024. So absolutely we should have won more games in 2024.

As for Poole/Paul, again, I am not saying we would have been better w Poole. My initial stance last Summer has never wavered…Paul is a horrible fit based on the style he likes to play. Plus he is no longer a decent defender.

Podziemski is more than adequate to not need Paul.

Return to Golden State Warriors