ImageImageImageImageImage

Why do i feel that Dubs will not be extending Klay next season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Steph2DresQ
Ballboy
And1: 0

Why do i feel that Dubs will not be extending Klay next season? 

Post#1 » by Steph2DresQ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:43 am

Is it only me? I think that Klay will not be given the extension next season and if that's the case then this is the final year for our big 3 (Steph, Klay and Dray).
1 big reason if ever is the finance situation of Warriors which is way above the limit that causes a large luxury tax and the new CBA rule. Dubs might trade Klay because of this...
We should get one more Championship for Klay for the last time.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Re: Why do i feel that Dubs will not be extending Klay next season? 

Post#2 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:08 am

With the poole trade, I think klay is getting extended 100%. It'll probably be an overpay too like 3/100.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#3 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:21 am

Depends on what he wants after this season.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,404

Post#4 » by svart » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:03 am

if he wants the max he'll be most likely gone. depends also on how he'll play this season. if he'll honor kobe's memory in the same way he did this year he'll get ****.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#5 » by watch1958 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:34 am

Interesting first post.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#6 » by Mac1958 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:13 pm

It's easy to forget that Klay is an unusual case.

Out two straight years with two straight major injuries sustained in the second half of his career. He came back nicely, but he's not the same Klay, and he's not superhuman.

Klay is an all time great shooter, he was half of the greatest-shooting backcourt ever, he's a multi-ring NBA champion, and no one can take any of that away from him. Ever.

At the same time, I can't blame the Warriors for doing what it takes to make the team better.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#7 » by Onus » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:21 pm

It really depends on what Klay wants. If he still wants a max and he can get that else where then he’s probably gone. But I don’t think he’s getting anywhere near a max. Really should get a deal similar to dray but a year shorter.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#8 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:32 pm

the most I would give him is what Harrison Barnes just got. Tbh I don't even wanna give him that.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,221

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:30 pm

An extension has to happen in the next few months. Doesn't seem likely. I think they just play it out and try to re-sign him on a sweetheart deal.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#10 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:35 pm

Extension super unlikely since Draymond set the standard.. Draymond got to dip a toe in FA. I'm sure both the team and Klay want that, for different reasons

Also no reason to extend Klay until they determine what kind of team they have.. CP3 makes the team better than Poole did, on paper. But until they are on court together, its all just educated guesswork
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#11 » by bicycle » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:27 pm

Acting like the team already made their decision a year in advance. Why?

Klay could easily spend this summer working on that next phase of his career type of game like Kerr talked about and come back looking like a $40m player and get that money. He could also try and play like he's 26 and shoot us out of games while spacing out on defense and lacking footspeed and then ask for $40m anyway and we'll say goodbye. It all depends how the year goes.

If he was willing to sign an outrageously low extension he'd be signed already, so from now until next summer it's about seeing where his price is.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,416

Post#12 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:53 pm

Not only I think an extension will definitely happen, I think it will happen before training camp.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#13 » by a8bil » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:55 pm

I think everyone has been a bit too harsh on Klay. Guy came back from 2 brutal injuries, which had to have been grueling in terms of the amount of pain he had to work through. He played last year, but the common wisdom, shown through many recent cases across multiple sports, is that Klay won't come back to 100% form (which may be less than pre-injuries) until this year. It was well known and discussed that Klay took off most of last summer, and it showed in the early season. No back to backs, time restrictions and his shot was off, but as the season progressed, he rounded more into game shape and had one of his best shooting seasons of his career. But the lack of depth took its toll on Klay. In the PS, he was playing over 36 minutes per game, and you could see his legs betraying him as the PS progressed. Maybe that's age, but I just don't think it is. I have a hard time saying that someone who has been as good as Klay has been (yeah, he's not Curry but he has been darn good), and who has worked as hard as he did to come back, doesn't deserve some benefit of the doubt.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#14 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:43 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Not only I think an extension will definitely happen, I think it will happen before training camp.

They would undo all the good things they did in shedding salary and convincing Draymond to structure his contract the way he did... why? They can pivot in many directions next offseason without this extension, but locking it in erases so many avenues

Not only that, I'm sure Draymond would have some opinions about how the team let him get to free agency but didnt let Klay do it.. doesnt make sense on any level tbh
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#15 » by B-King » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:53 pm

Like the previous dual timelines, the Dubs seem to hedging on the roster with financial flexibility. They FO is probably still hurting about extending Poole so early.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#16 » by Warriorfan » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:26 pm

I'm sure Klay and mgmt is in negotiations. If they don't work out the numbers and the team is playing at last years level I could see Klay and CP3 being traded at the deadline
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#17 » by Impuniti » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:24 pm

bicycle wrote:Acting like the team already made their decision a year in advance. Why?

Klay could easily spend this summer working on that next phase of his career type of game like Kerr talked about and come back looking like a $40m player and get that money. He could also try and play like he's 26 and shoot us out of games while spacing out on defense and lacking footspeed and then ask for $40m anyway and we'll say goodbye. It all depends how the year goes.

If he was willing to sign an outrageously low extension he'd be signed already, so from now until next summer it's about seeing where his price is.

Klay has never been a 40m level player on a championship team at any point in his career, let alone at 33 after two major injuries.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#18 » by Impuniti » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:39 pm

a8bil wrote:I think everyone has been a bit too harsh on Klay. Guy came back from 2 brutal injuries, which had to have been grueling in terms of the amount of pain he had to work through. He played last year, but the common wisdom, shown through many recent cases across multiple sports, is that Klay won't come back to 100% form (which may be less than pre-injuries) until this year. It was well known and discussed that Klay took off most of last summer, and it showed in the early season. No back to backs, time restrictions and his shot was off, but as the season progressed, he rounded more into game shape and had one of his best shooting seasons of his career. But the lack of depth took its toll on Klay. In the PS, he was playing over 36 minutes per game, and you could see his legs betraying him as the PS progressed. Maybe that's age, but I just don't think it is. I have a hard time saying that someone who has been as good as Klay has been (yeah, he's not Curry but he has been darn good), and who has worked as hard as he did to come back, doesn't deserve some benefit of the doubt.

People are not harsh enough on Klay, there's few players in NBA history that get away with the things he has throughout his entire career with total impunity. I can't blame someone when their shot just doesn't go in, because that's basketball. That can happen, and I would only put guys like Steph or KD in that category where they're expected to do it whether they have it for the night or not.

Klay's issues are far deeper than that. The guy is clearly one of the most arrogant and self-serving players we have in this game. When KD joined, him and Steph changed their game (KD at least for year 1) to try to get the whole team to work out. Klay is the only one that said "I'm not changing ****". People laugh it off as this funny story, but it shows what an egomaniac he is. Two of the best players of all time are willing to change their game for the betterment of the team, but the 4th most important guy in the team? No that's too much for him. :banghead:

The guy is a legendary level egomaniac and what's amazing is how people gloss over everything he does as well "it's just Klay". Why did Klay have to start when he got two massive injuries and missed 2 1/2 years of basketball when he came back? The team was rolling then and the idea would have been to use him as a backup for a while until he's ready to not disrupt the way the team was going. JP and Klay were also playing the game of who can play for himself more this entire last season, where it felt like they were isolated from the rest of the team.

If Klay doesn't have it, why is he taking 19 shots in an elimination game? Oh because it's game 6, so it has to feed his ego. He was doing the same in 2022 game 6 as well despite shooting like ****, he was the only player that was playing only for himself. The same guy that's talking about being an allstar in his exit interview after he plays like garbage, more me me me. Frustrating to see Kerr bench any young guy for any mistake they make and these kids see Klay doing the same mistakes play after play after play in the bench.. again with impunity from Kerr. To me last season Kerr completely lost his voice and value as a coach with the young guys due to his embarrassing double standard that he set with Klay and the young dudes. Klay could have talked to Wiggins and encouraged him to be the #2 guy on the team, but instead he still clings on to that delusional dream. Afterall, he has to think of himself over the team. The most frustrating thing is that he showed he can play a vital role if he understood where he was at this point of his career. When the Warriors came back from 0-2 to 3-2, Klay took a lot less shots and just focused on team play. He was extremely efficient and effective. But again, to do that would be conceding that he's no longer the #2 guy and more of an Iggy type of role for the team. Can't have that role with that ego.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#19 » by a8bil » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:47 pm

Impuniti wrote:
a8bil wrote:I think everyone has been a bit too harsh on Klay. Guy came back from 2 brutal injuries, which had to have been grueling in terms of the amount of pain he had to work through. He played last year, but the common wisdom, shown through many recent cases across multiple sports, is that Klay won't come back to 100% form (which may be less than pre-injuries) until this year. It was well known and discussed that Klay took off most of last summer, and it showed in the early season. No back to backs, time restrictions and his shot was off, but as the season progressed, he rounded more into game shape and had one of his best shooting seasons of his career. But the lack of depth took its toll on Klay. In the PS, he was playing over 36 minutes per game, and you could see his legs betraying him as the PS progressed. Maybe that's age, but I just don't think it is. I have a hard time saying that someone who has been as good as Klay has been (yeah, he's not Curry but he has been darn good), and who has worked as hard as he did to come back, doesn't deserve some benefit of the doubt.

People are not harsh enough on Klay, there's few players in NBA history that get away with the things he has throughout his entire career with total impunity. I can't blame someone when their shot just doesn't go in, because that's basketball. That can happen, and I would only put guys like Steph or KD in that category where they're expected to do it whether they have it for the night or not.

Klay's issues are far deeper than that. The guy is clearly one of the most arrogant and self-serving players we have in this game. When KD joined, him and Steph changed their game (KD at least for year 1) to try to get the whole team to work out. Klay is the only one that said "I'm not changing ****". People laugh it off as this funny story, but it shows what an egomaniac he is. Two of the best players of all time are willing to change their game for the betterment of the team, but the 4th most important guy in the team? No that's too much for him. :banghead:

The guy is a legendary level egomaniac and what's amazing is how people gloss over everything he does as well "it's just Klay". Why did Klay have to start when he got two massive injuries and missed 2 1/2 years of basketball when he came back? The team was rolling then and the idea would have been to use him as a backup for a while until he's ready to not disrupt the way the team was going. JP and Klay were also playing the game of who can play for himself more this entire last season, where it felt like they were isolated from the rest of the team.

If Klay doesn't have it, why is he taking 19 shots in an elimination game? Oh because it's game 6, so it has to feed his ego. He was doing the same in 2022 game 6 as well despite shooting like ****, he was the only player that was playing only for himself. The same guy that's talking about being an allstar in his exit interview after he plays like garbage, more me me me. Frustrating to see Kerr bench any young guy for any mistake they make and these kids see Klay doing the same mistakes play after play after play in the bench.. again with impunity from Kerr. To me last season Kerr completely lost his voice and value as a coach with the young guys due to his embarrassing double standard that he set with Klay and the young dudes. Klay could have talked to Wiggins and encouraged him to be the #2 guy on the team, but instead he still clings on to that delusional dream. Afterall, he has to think of himself over the team. The most frustrating thing is that he showed he can play a vital role if he understood where he was at this point of his career. When the Warriors came back from 0-2 to 3-2, Klay took a lot less shots and just focused on team play. He was extremely efficient and effective. But again, to do that would be conceding that he's no longer the #2 guy and more of an Iggy type of role for the team. Can't have that role with that ego.
Glad you were able to get that off your chest... .
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,298

Post#20 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:50 pm

Klay will be extended if he accepts market value. No team will pay him more than $20-$25M per for more than 3 years.

Negations will go bad if he is still thinking of getting $40-$50M per year from the Warriors.

Whether the big 3 stay together depends on Klay. I’m sure the Warriors will gladly extend him for $70-75M/3.

Everyone loves Klay for what he has done for us, and where he is at now after 2 brutal injuries. But the team cannot be kept together if he wants more $ than what other teams will pay him, and he has gotten much more $ than other teams could pay him over his last 2 contracts.

Return to Golden State Warriors