What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,690

Re: What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#121 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:46 am

cpower wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I was wrong. This is more serious than me having an off day at work. Wiggs is not even dressing to sit on the bench.

Maybe he has the flu or something. Or is it worse?

Edit, injury report says illness.
I had an illness last spring. Staph infection would have killed me if I did not go to the hospital and have surgery. $14,000 bill for me and a $700,000 bill for my insurance company and 6 weeks in the hospital on IV antibiotics. That was an illness but a 3 day stomach flu that heals by itself is also an illness.

or he could be already with his family in Canada and waiting for Santa's present to show up at his door tomorrow. is he coming back to play for the rest of the season?

Canadians get first pick of Santa’s presents so Wiggins should be in Canada to get a new heart from Santa’s bag.
bay2hk
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#122 » by bay2hk » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:37 am

OG / Otto for Wiggins / Cory

Let’s send the Canadians back home
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#123 » by michaelm » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:44 am

jozef wrote:You know what I think probably :)
Yes, he just needs an athletic center so he would not drive into crowded paint with no scoring help there. Especially against oponents starters it is a tough situation.
Everything would go well for him then. He is athletic but not bully one.

The one thing against him for me is that he has turned up for the season underweight, but a rib fractured by LeBron may explain that

I have however read recently that he is too slow. Ffs he is one of the most hyperathletic players in the entire NBA.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,176

Post#124 » by watch1958 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:18 am

I really think what he needs is to press the reset button. Stop playing. Sit down with the training staff and his private trainer and really go over his physical shape. The rib injury. The December 22 injury. His physical and mental shape after his absence last spring. Deep dive.

Then put together a plan to rehab, recharge, whatever, for about a month. Then spend a couple of weeks working back into game shape.

So that by mid February, they can see what they have.

In the meantime, keep playing the guys you’re using now.

Because I think they need him back, and I don’t think he can just play his way back.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#125 » by Nvnervous45 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:31 am

I think he needs to see a sports psychologist and see if he really loves playing basketball. It all starts upstairs. Jimmy Butler didn't like playing with Towns and wiggins because they were mentally weak and lacked fire.
Then wiggs was traded to us and had a renaissance. Now for whatever reason (missing his buddy poole, off court baggage) he's back to average Andrew.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#126 » by jozef » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:04 am

I think he just needs to play with TJD. Noone spotted any decline on his athleticism, shooting mechanic or anything else whatsover.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#127 » by michaelm » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:40 am

He was at his best next to Green, not replacing him. Sure being next to TJD might be good as well.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#128 » by DevinVassell » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:13 am

Don't over analyse.

Wiggs has the talent, has the athleticism, just dosnt have the heart (ticker). Good bloke though.

Opposite of Podz.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#129 » by sonnyhill » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:48 pm

Another, and a bit more positive, perspective on Wiggins:

What In The World Is Going On With Andrew Wiggins???
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#130 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:40 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Another, and a bit more positive, perspective on Wiggins:

What In The World Is Going On With Andrew Wiggins???

I dont think that guy is wrong, he's probably read realgm :D

Cdm, especially has pointed out that the defense has changed. We'd be blind not to notice. Our 3 best defensive playersv(loon, dray, and wiggins) have struggled in this new scheme. Kerr has given up on the defense that won a title 2 years ago.. Even on this winning run vs bad teams, we are still struggling defensively. Except now our offense has improved (largely due to klay hitting shots again).

Offensively, he doesn't get anything run for him. Steph is steph. Klay is klay. Now add cp3. Jk has always been a high usage guy too. So, wiggs' role has diminished to loon levels and he's forcing more of those horrible midrange isos just to get himself going.

Wiggins deserves alot of blame too, hes shot poorly and hasnt played with any force. A few more dunks and less soft rim attempts, and things are likely different.. His conditioning, lack of athleticism, timing etc..is easily explained. And everyone completely forgot he broke his ribs in game 5 and just went straight to: this is who he's always been.

The dubs can try to fix it and turn this around (not just wiggins, but dray and loon too) or just brush it aside and make a deal. This offense only style we play now isn't suitable for guys like dray, loon, wiggins, and moody. They might as well have just kept poole.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#131 » by cpower » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:45 pm

just watch this video, nailed everything about what is happening with Wiggins and rest of the team
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Post#132 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:46 pm

Wigs is not an efficient scorer aka prolific scorer. I think he’s best suited for others to create the offense for him via making cuts to the baseline and getting to his spots and remain open to take the 3. He forces too many shots to make something happen, which makes him overthink and underperform. Messes him up psychologically. Simple.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Post#133 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:47 pm

And it’s very Canadian of Wigs being content with just being “good” and not “f’n great.” Just saying..
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#134 » by cpower » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:46 pm

great game tonight ... sadly we could not take advantage of these good wiggins game.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#135 » by michaelm » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:31 am

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Wigs is not an efficient scorer aka prolific scorer. I think he’s best suited for others to create the offense for him via making cuts to the baseline and getting to his spots and remain open to take the 3. He forces too many shots to make something happen, which makes him overthink and underperform. Messes him up psychologically. Simple.

You forgot that he can defend pretty much any opponent's best perimeter player, and most opponent's best scoring option period, and that for GSW he offers a scoring option outside their normal pattern of play. Sure he hasn't been and never will be a number one scoring option or main playmaker, but if you look at the other contracts around the league at the moment good luck with trading him for someone better.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#136 » by vagelis » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#137 » by jozef » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:50 pm

Part of that great game was that they put small Murray on him. He just too adavantage off it. Same way as opponents profit off Warriors small backcourt. No magic here.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#138 » by killmongrel » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:09 pm

The best move is to stick with Wiggins. A Wiggins who gets back to playing well is better than anybody you can trade him for unless the Warriors are going all in on a big trade.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,176

Post#139 » by watch1958 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:38 pm

killmongrel wrote:The best move is to stick with Wiggins. A Wiggins who gets back to playing well is better than anybody you can trade him for unless the Warriors are going all in on a big trade.
Yep. I think they need good Wiggins to compete.

Not sure how likely that is, but there’s not much way around it.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#140 » by HiRez » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:47 am

watch1958 wrote:Yep. I think they need good Wiggins to compete.

Do they really though? I think they just need capable performers to replace his position. I think Steph is the ONLY truly indispensable player on the team.

Wiggins: Moody/Kuminga/GP2
Klay: Moody/Podz/GP2
Draymond: Kuminga/Saric
Loon: TJD/Saric

It wouldn't be a straight 1 to 1 swap for any of them. But fortunately we have a wide array of hungry, young players who are stepping up and winning games right now. They provide a lot of what the players they'd replace have, even if not 100%, however they all do things the player they'd replace cannot as well.

Return to Golden State Warriors