What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,080

Re: What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#141 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:58 am

watch1958 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:The best move is to stick with Wiggins. A Wiggins who gets back to playing well is better than anybody you can trade him for unless the Warriors are going all in on a big trade.
Yep. I think they need good Wiggins to compete.

Not sure how likely that is, but there’s not much way around it.

He's been good for the past month and a half.. and that's without the extremely favorable defense because they are still using him as the POA defender, which typically taxes the player on the other end. Since mid November:

27.2 MPG
14.8 PPG
4.8 RPG
1.2 APG
0.4 BPG
0.3 SPG
48.6% FG
44.7% 3PT
80.0% FT

scale that to the 32 mpg he was getting the 2 years prior and that's 17.4 - 5.7 - 1.4 on much higher efficiency than usual.. he's been doing good. The question is will Kerr put him back in the spot defensively that made the defense a nightmare to contend with?

I do love when the forum aligns well though.. when the top thread is "What's Wrong With Andrew Wiggins" and the thread right below it is "Warriors Biggest Problem - Their Coach". Just fits perfectly :lol:
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#142 » by michaelm » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:23 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:The best move is to stick with Wiggins. A Wiggins who gets back to playing well is better than anybody you can trade him for unless the Warriors are going all in on a big trade.
Yep. I think they need good Wiggins to compete.

He's been good for the past month and a half.. and that's without the extremely favorable defense because they are still using him as the POA defender, which typically taxes the player on the other end. Since mid November:

27.2 MPG
14.8 PPG
4.8 RPG
1.2 APG
0.4 BPG
0.3 SPG
48.6% FG
44.7% 3PT
80.0% FT

scale that to the 32 mpg he was getting the 2 years prior and that's 17.4 - 5.7 - 1.4 on much higher efficiency than usual.. he's been doing good. The question is will Kerr put him back in the spot defensively that made the defense a nightmare to contend with?

I do love when the forum aligns well though.. when the top thread is "What's Wrong With Andrew Wiggins" and the thread right below it is "Warriors Biggest Problem - Their Coach". Just fits perfectly :lol:

Green has actually been shooting well enough to keep defences honest this year. I doubt he can be treated like Ben Simmons. If his own defence of old is gone then his main value is gone, but that has not been proven yet. It won’t happen and I may be wrong anyway but AirPodz, Curry, Wiggins, Green and TJD looks like the best line up to me considering both offense and defence, with Klay 6th man providing scoring off the bench. Of course if Klay somehow regained his old defensive prowess he would obviously be the second starter picked and among the best players for any team.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#143 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:37 am

michaelm wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Yep. I think they need good Wiggins to compete.

27.2 MPG
14.8 PPG
4.8 RPG
1.2 APG
0.4 BPG
0.3 SPG
48.6% FG
44.7% 3PT
80.0% FT

Green has actually been shooting well enough to keep defences honest this year. I doubt he can be treated like Ben Simmons. If his own defence of old is gone then his main value is gone, but that has not been proven yet. It won’t happen and I may be wrong anyway but AirPodz, Curry, Wiggins, Green and TJD looks like the best line up to me considering both offense and defence, with Klay 6th man providing scoring off the bench. Of course if Klay somehow regained his old defensive prowess he would obviously be the second starter picked and among the best players for any team.

Year that line up has good 2 way balance.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,821

Post#144 » by floppymoose » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:47 am

I still think its some kind of physical issue for Wiggins , and it looks like it is slowly getting better. It would be great to see him come alive in the 2nd half of the season. We will need him bigly after the 10 game winning streak vaults GS into the playoffs post-Klay-trade.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#145 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:42 am

Read on Twitter
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#146 » by vagelis » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:57 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

If Warriors want to trade Wiggins, it is very silly to bench him.
I personally think that when you want to sell, you try to raise the value and not sink it
michaelm
RealGM

Post#147 » by michaelm » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:16 am

vagelis wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

I personally think that when you want to sell, you try to raise the value and not sink it

How far are they going to take this idiocy ?. Wiggins is not the team’s problem, if anything playing Thompson who is effectively (if not very effectively) a small forward now, a position he cannot defend, is.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,354

Post#148 » by Onus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:06 pm

michaelm wrote:
vagelis wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

How far are they going to take this idiocy ?. Wiggins is not the team’s problem, if anything playing Thompson who is effectively (if not very effectively) a small forward now, a position he cannot defend, is.

It really is crazy that we’re trying to hide Klay so much and just letting everything else fall apart. And now we’re willing to trade Wiggins because of that. What are we doing here? Kerr wake up
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#149 » by cpower » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:12 pm

michaelm wrote:
vagelis wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

the problem for this team is nobody can make threes. Yes Wiggins is a big part of the problem because of that. So is JK, Moody. They will all get shipped because they cant make shots. Making threes is essential in todays league
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#150 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:31 pm

cpower wrote:
michaelm wrote:
vagelis wrote:

the problem for this team is nobody can make threes. Yes Wiggins is a big part of the problem because of that. So is JK, Moody. They will all get shipped because they cant make shots. Making threes is essential in todays league

Last 15 games, wiggins has been 38.9% from 3.
Last 10 games, he's been 38.5% from 3
Since moving to the bench, he's been 36.8% from 3

Since starting the year shooting 15% from 3, he's up to 30%.

Last 15 games jk has also shot well from 3. He's hitting at 39%.

Kerr rotations and defense is the problem.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#151 » by michaelm » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:23 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
cpower wrote:
michaelm wrote:How far are they going to take this idiocy ?. Wiggins is not the team’s problem, if anything playing Thompson who is effectively (if not very effectively) a small forward now, a position he cannot defend, is.

Last 15 games, wiggins has been 38.9% from 3.
Last 10 games, he's been 38.5% from 3
Since moving to the bench, he's been 36.8% from 3

Since starting the year shooting 15% from 3, he's up to 30%.

Last 15 games jk has also shot well from 3. He's hitting at 39%.

Kerr rotations and defense is the problem.

Defense is the thing. All if their title winning teams have been strong defensive teams. Even Klay at his peak as a shooter would not provide enough imo to compensate for their current defensive deficiencies and in particular the change in the defensive scheme to accommodate him. If he could regain his peak defensive ability there would be no problem of course, but this seems unlikely.

I don’t want to trade Klay, I just think his best role currently would be playing the 2021-2022 Poole role off the bench better than Poole did. I remain appreciative of his career for GSW and role in a dynasty, and don’t forget he sustained the first of his career altering injuries playing injured trying to win yet another title for GSW. They in turn have backed him though, re-signing him for strong money after that injury and paying him said money without complaint while he didn’t play for two and a half seasons. Surely he could accept playing the role which is best for the team now, everyone knows he is no longer peak Klay due to injuries and age and that peak Klay would be the second player chosen to start on this team and in that position at worst for most other teams.

Trading Wiggins who seems to be coming good after not playing him in the role or playing scheme in which he was excellent in their last title win makes no sense whatsoever to me, particularly when he is only 28 and on a contract which was quite favourable to the team at the time he signed and might go back to being so in the fairly immediate short term. I am not sure what message this would send to prospective future recruits either, but probably not a good one, just as the young players becoming disgruntled would not. Perhaps Lacob plans to live off the memory of the team of the last decade at its peak for a decade or two.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#152 » by floppymoose » Thu Jan 4, 2024 7:38 am

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#153 » by floppymoose » Thu Jan 4, 2024 7:48 am

michaelm
RealGM

Post#154 » by michaelm » Thu Jan 4, 2024 8:25 am

floppymoose wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/trade-rumors/dallas-mavs-trade-odds-favorite-golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-andrew-wiggins-fit

I might have to consider supporting his new team then, since if this happens it will be further proof GSW have descended into idiocy imo.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 857

Post#155 » by DevinVassell » Thu Jan 4, 2024 8:56 am

michaelm wrote:
floppymoose wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/trade-rumors/dallas-mavs-trade-odds-favorite-golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-andrew-wiggins-fit

I might have to consider supporting his new team then, since if this happens it will be further proof GSW have descended into idiocy imo.

Maybe you could say GSW have descended into idiocy if the article proposed what or whom is getting traded for them... but it doesn't.

That article really is a whole lot of nothing.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#156 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jan 4, 2024 9:12 am

DevinVassell wrote:
michaelm wrote:

Maybe you could say GSW have descended into idiocy if the article proposed what or whom is getting traded for them... but it doesn't.

A few beat writers have mentioned wiggs as a target if he gets put on the market, nothing from the actual teams though. I've read the kings, mavs, and bucks from their local writers because price will be low since on limited minutes from bench and because big 2 way wings are too expensive and impossible to find.

Dray, Wiggins, gui, and moody

For

Hardaway, Williams, Holmes, and Green

This works salary wise if mjd is looking to dump green and wiggins to extend klay and jk.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#157 » by michaelm » Thu Jan 4, 2024 12:11 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
michaelm wrote:

I did realise that, but would be very upset if they traded Wiggins particularly given he was played out of position/not in his best role and is now coming back into form. I have become quite a fan and his redemption story/proving the rest of the NBA wrong and the rancor against GSW for having him on the team despite the derision when he was signed was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the 4th title for me.

Some of his being relegated to the bench was due to misfortune with whatever went on with his family last year and the broken rib courtesy of Lebron, but they are not getting anything like the value of championship Wiggs if they trade him on his current contract imo, and I don't think that guy has permanently gone.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,176

Post#158 » by watch1958 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:32 pm

michaelm wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:
michaelm wrote:I might have to consider supporting his new team then, since if this happens it will be further proof GSW have descended into idiocy imo.

I did realise that, but would be very upset if they traded Wiggins particularly given he was played out of position/not in his best role and is now coming back into form. I have become quite a fan and his redemption story/proving the rest of the NBA wrong and the rancor against GSW for having him on the team despite the derision when he was signed was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the 4th title for me.

Some of his being relegated to the bench was due to misfortune with whatever went on with his family last year and the broken rib courtesy of Lebron, but they are not getting anything like the value of championship Wiggs if they trade him on his current contract imo, and I don't think that guy has permanently gone.
A suggestion I saw was Wiggins and Moody for Jarret Allen and Okorro
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,354

Post#159 » by Onus » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:46 pm

watch1958 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:

That's gross
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
michaelm
RealGM

Post#160 » by michaelm » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:27 am

watch1958 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:

Certainly Jarrett Allen would be a major addition for GSW. Is the assumption the Cavs don’t need him because they have Mobley ?.

Return to Golden State Warriors