ImageImageImageImageImage

Gui Santos to get 14th spot

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Re: Gui Santos to get 14th spot 

Post#21 » by Coxy » Mon Nov 6, 2023 9:53 pm

I really liked what I saw from Gui when we 1st drafted him and he was playing in the G League. Haven't followed him since, no idea what he has been doing or how he's been developing.

I sort of forgot about him a bit, so interesting that GMLeavy see's enough there to sign him up. I have hopes.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,513

Post#22 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:30 pm

Totally unexpected for me.

In the past 10 days or so, I was looking daily into the brazilian media to check any news about Gui, seeing if he would stay with the G-League team. There was nothing, zero on him.

As it was said above, seems to me this move was done to save money.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#23 » by bicycle » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:50 pm

Happy for the kid. G league doesn't pay that well so 2 years of playing there away from home was definitely a sacrifice on his part, with no guarantee of success at the end. Now he's got real money, even if it's the absolute least it's possible to make for a 3 year NBA contract.
bay2hk
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#24 » by bay2hk » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:58 pm

Gui would have earned more money if he stayed in the Brazilian league but he choose to play in the g league the last 2 years. I guess this is warriors showing goodwill to their draft pick for sacrificing his past 2 years earnings.

Like others have mentioned this tread, the deal saves warriors a ton compared to signing a vet with years of service under their belt. This person would have not receive any PT either way. Look at Cory
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#25 » by HiRez » Mon Nov 6, 2023 11:31 pm

Wanted to lock him up while he's still under the radar I guess? And emergency protection in case Wiggs/JK are traded? Dunno, it's weird but doubt he'll play much if at all.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,276

Post#26 » by xdrta+ » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:24 am

bay2hk wrote:Gui would have earned more money if he stayed in the Brazilian league but he choose to play in the g league the last 2 years. I guess this is warriors showing goodwill to their draft pick for sacrificing his past 2 years earnings.

Like others have mentioned this tread, the deal saves warriors a ton compared to signing a vet with years of service under their belt. This person would have not receive any PT either way. Look at Cory

Would he have made more? Pretty sure our Brazilian friend say he wasn't making much there. As for this year, the Warriors bought him out of his contract there, which is why they had to sign him to a roster spot instead of a two-way.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#27 » by B-King » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:10 am

This is probably a L & L move (loyalty and Lacob). I just hope it isn’t fully guaranteed, as I believe he is at least a full year away from contributing at the NBA level.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 791

Post#28 » by Old_Blue » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:18 am

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/gui-santos-contract-roster/1669214/

"Santos had to be signed to the Warriors’ 15-man roster, not a two-way deal, in order for him to be bought out from his Brazilian club Minas."
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#29 » by hamncheese » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:24 am

It was a money saving move. Signing him is similar to why they signed Rollins last year. Yearly amount for a 2nd round rookie is cheaper than a vet minimum. He will likely be in SC most of the year or be part of a trade.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#30 » by Romulus » Tue Nov 7, 2023 8:35 am

hamncheese wrote:It was a money saving move. Signing him is similar to why they signed Rollins last year. Yearly amount for a 2nd round rookie is cheaper than a vet minimum. He will likely be in SC most of the year or be part of a trade.

I hope you're wrong but fear you're right. Unfortunately. About the cheapest option they could have come up with to fill that 14th roster spot.

It seems almost every trade and move the Warriors make these days involves saving money.

I hope they give him some minutes. We need help at the forward position. But like Garuba, I doubt he sniffs a single minute of playing time.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#31 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:25 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
bay2hk wrote:Gui would have earned more money if he stayed in the Brazilian league but he choose to play in the g league the last 2 years. I guess this is warriors showing goodwill to their draft pick for sacrificing his past 2 years earnings.

Would he have made more? Pretty sure our Brazilian friend say he wasn't making much there. As for this year, the Warriors bought him out of his contract there, which is why they had to sign him to a roster spot instead of a two-way.

Yes. I've explained this a couple of times here in the forums.

The best paid players in the brazilian national league makes something like 15 to 20k/month. Someone like Marquinhos (who played for New Orleans like 15 years ago - here's his BBallRef page) earns 12-15k/month. But this money is for guys who are the absolute best in the league, who played for the national teams for many years, played in the Olympics, World Cup, international tournaments, etc.

Now Gui, when he was discovered, wasn't even a starter in his team. The year he was discovered, he won the award for 6th man of the year. I'm quite sure he wasn't in the top tier for salaries, very, very far from that.

So if you take all of that into account and see that the G-League salaries range from 40k to 1 million... my guess is that Gui was making multiple times his salary in the US.

What I find strange, though, is that not a single article from the brazilian media mentions the buy out clause (which was mentioned in the article posted by Old Blue above). I read like 20 different articles and not a single mention was written. It must have been a really low number.

I wish Gui well. Brazilian talent has been not so good for a few years since Nenê, Leandrinho, Varejão, Splitter retired. We had Raul Neto last season, he's in Turkey now. And Didi Louzada came back and is playing for perhaps the biggest club here now (Flamengo). So it's only Gui representing the brazilian people there.

I think there should be definite room for improvement for him in the future, or else he'll quickly be out of the league. I'll wait to assess this once when/if he plays, supposedly he added muscle in the off-season and the brazilian coaches were raving about his shot in the World Cup news.

As for the Warriors side, this roster is very deep and we're not even playing our 11th and 12th best players, much less the 2-way guys, so if in the end Gui is getting minutes, this shows we're either ravaged by injuries, or that we're tanking hard. It won't hardly happen, honestly.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#32 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:34 pm

bicycle wrote:Happy for the kid. G league doesn't pay that well so 2 years of playing there away from home was definitely a sacrifice on his part, with no guarantee of success at the end. Now he's got real money, even if it's the absolute least it's possible to make for a 3 year NBA contract.

It's true, the G-League doesn't pay well.

However, it pays in dollar.

1 dollar = 5,5 brazilian real.

That's all you need to know, actually.

Let's say you have a job there in the USA that pays 5k/month. That's 27,5k/month in brazilian currency.

Less than 1% of the population here earns that.

I'm quite sure there was no financial sacrifice made by Gui and his family. They lived much, much better there than here.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#33 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:14 pm

We did that to Rollins and TJD (and Draymond long time back). Paschall. Pat McCaw and Jordan Bell (2-yr). Some hits. Some misses. It is one of those moves.

With our super top heavy (in salary) team, these contracts are at times better than late first round picks. You throw at the wall and hopefully a couple sticks as a rotation player down the road. Draymond was a home run. TJD looks like he will stick.

Long term, if you can get 1 out 3 working out, it is not bad.

Looks like Gay and McGruder didn't impress.

Heck, if there's a vet who can make a difference, we still have the 15th spot!
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#34 » by xdrta+ » Tue Nov 7, 2023 8:35 pm

Three year contract, minimum salary each year, 75k guaranteed this year, next two years non-guaranteed, third year team option.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,087

Post#35 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Nov 7, 2023 9:07 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Three year contract, minimum salary each year, 75k guaranteed this year, next two years non-guaranteed, third year team option.

Thats about as good as it can get for a 2nd apron team. No risk, medium upside/reward. Low guarantees this year mean we can pivot off of him if an opportunity arises. Very flexible 14th man slot.. good job Dunleavy
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,086

Post#36 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Nov 7, 2023 11:04 pm

Financial details from The Athletic:
Anthony Slater wrote:4. Gui Santos
The Warriors are expected to sign Gui Santos into their vacant 14th roster spot before Wednesday’s game in Denver. It’s the final day before it becomes mandatory for the Warriors to fill the 14th spot.

But don’t expect Santos to jump into the mix. He will spend the majority of his time in Santa Cruz this season, continuing to develop. This is a financially motivated move. Because the Warriors drafted Santos late in the second round of the 2022 NBA Draft, they can sign him with the second-round pick exception, limiting the tax hit. It’s somewhere around $10 million to $15 million more in savings than signing an undrafted player or veteran into that 14th slot.

Santos is signing a three-year deal, but the contract is partially guaranteed for this season and it’ll be non-guaranteed for the following two seasons, giving the Warriors roster flexibility, should it be needed. Santos impressed in summer league and the organization believes he could become an effective NBA player, once developed. This gives him a big raise and brings him under the umbrella.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#37 » by xdrta+ » Wed Nov 8, 2023 3:26 am

It’s somewhere around $10 million to $15 million more in savings than signing an undrafted player or veteran into that 14th slot.

I'd like to know how he arrives at that. In fact, looking at the exception in the CBA, the opposite can be true, since the 2nd round exception allows for a team to sign the pick for a little more, up to the minimum for a 1 yr vet ($1.8M), rather than the rookie minimum ($1.1M.) Of course, signing a vet could cost more, depending on years, but an undrafted player can be signed for a rookie minimum same as Gui. Same salary, same tax.

Edit: Signing Gui (or an undrafted player) adds about $7.5M to the tax bill. Since they had to sign someone this is the least they could get away with. Even signing a vet would only add about twice that to the bill (teams are charged for a 2 year vet, with the league paying the rest.) So the most it could cost would be another $7.5M. Slater's numbers make no sense at all.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#38 » by bicycle » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:08 am

Really didn't think he'd get more than garbage time, but we have yet another clutch game tonight and Gui was on the floor. Says as much about Gui Santos as it says about the very conspicuous $45 million man who was on the bench at the time.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,375

Post#39 » by SpreeS » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:46 am

I thought that Looney was the slowest guy on the team…
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#40 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:24 pm

Gooey Santos puttin in that work on the hustle plays

and Quinones playing good on the ball D against Trae the other night

they've already contributed more than Cojo
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett

Return to Golden State Warriors