ImageImageImageImageImage

Podz Stan Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Re: Podz Stan Thread 

Post#161 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 pm

Podz is like a turbocharged 4 cylinder. At the end of the day it’s still a 4 cylinder engine.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#162 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Podz is like a turbocharged 4 cylinder. At the end of the day it’s still a 4 cylinder engine.

He's really been put in a role that he shouldn't have as a rookie starting sg. Which kudos to him to getting there, JP couldn't do it, Moody couldn't do it. And Podz is probably the least talented out of those 2. But now that he's broken that seal of getting Klay to the bench it's time to see if Moody can start.

Podz always felt like a 6th man. Where he can bring his energy to change the momentum of games.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#163 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 pm

People are going to start to turn on him much like they did with klay. And kerr is mostly to blame.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,993

Post#164 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:18 pm

It's just a roster issue - Podz is doing well as a rookie, but should be a 6th/7th man energy/utility guy at this point in his career. We have no quality guard to pair with Curry.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 146

Post#165 » by Dubs 707 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:55 pm

He getting play time because Steve sees a little nick Kerr in em......
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#166 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:He getting play time because Steve sees a little nick Kerr in em......

Could you elaborate?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#167 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:38 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:People are going to start to turn on him much like they did with klay. And kerr is mostly to blame.

I dunno if thats a reason, most fans are casual and just check boxscores. But the roster is missing certain roles

What was clear in '22 and has been extremely clear since is that the last title team won because of continuity and people filling their roles excellently. In '24, JK has taken on the Poole role admirably and exceeded what Poole ever was, so thats good. Dray's overall having a great season - when he plays. TJD has taken on the best C mantle. All good things. Now the bad..

Curry isnt as reliable as a gamechanger anymore. He's closer to 40 than 30 so this was to be expected
Klay is even more inconsistent and still quits on defensive plays
Looney has straight up played himself out of the rotation and likely off the team
Moody has inconsistent minutes and inconsistent results
CP3 has flashes but really only shows his worth with backups and/or when his shot is dropping
Wiggins offense has fallen off despite some intermittent high notes
GP2 has been more of an offensive liability than in the past (and defense isn't as pristine either) - also dont look now but Wiseman has been improving the past month
Saric has basically become Nemo, except a lesser version despite being more talented. Shot has abandoned him and its almost all he had

Its unlikely Kerr could have salvaged the season because a lot went wrong, but he's a big part of what went wrong too. He, like a lot of the team, has been unable to adapt to the change
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#168 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:41 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:It's just a roster issue - Podz is doing well as a rookie, but should be a 6th/7th man energy/utility guy at this point in his career. We have no quality guard to pair with Curry.

The lone good news here is that this type of player - a score first guard - is one of the easier trade targets to find. The bad news is we dont have many assets to acquire one anyways, and have to be careful of stepping on another Poole landmine - especially if Kuminga is retained. Treadmill teams always seem to have 2nd/3rd scorers signed to big contracts on their way to 30-40 wins per season
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#169 » by WarriorGM » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:50 pm

I wanted to see Curry and Spencer on the floor together. Too bad with games being must win we probably won't.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#170 » by vvoland » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:It's just a roster issue - Podz is doing well as a rookie, but should be a 6th/7th man energy/utility guy at this point in his career. We have no quality guard to pair with Curry.

The lone good news here is that this type of player - a score first guard - is one of the easier trade targets to find. The bad news is we dont have many assets to acquire one anyways, and have to be careful of stepping on another Poole landmine - especially if Kuminga is retained. Treadmill teams always seem to have 2nd/3rd scorers signed to big contracts on their way to 30-40 wins per season

Is it that easy? Who do you have in mind? I actually think replacing podz with someone like caruso (high end) or pat bev (low end) is much easier than replacing an efficient 3pt shooter and 2nd option (like Klay was/may still be). Score first guards that are not chuckers are actually pretty hard to find and there are a lot more jordan pooles than there are klay thompsons.

In looking at the available shooting guards in '24, the pickings are slim. There's the maxey/quickley combo that won't be leaving their current teams. Monk/Grayson/Beasley would be the shoot first, ask questions last but if you think Klay's defense is bad.... After that... it' gary trent, melton, and it only goes downhill from there. Out of this entire list, I don't know who I would want replacing Klay considering we're not getting maxey.

The wings like derozan or hield would be interesting but each would come with their own problems. I like demar but he wouldn't provide much spacing and the offense would change. Buddy is just a worse Klay and will probably cost more. After that, we're talking bey or hayward or the better martin twin.

Yes, these are just the FAs and you did say 'trade targets' but I don't think it's a particularly bad class of 2nd option scorers. You want simons or clarkson or herro or...?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#171 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:59 pm

I disagree with Podz coming off the bench, him and MM are good enough shooters to compliment Steph. Next year our starting lineup should be Steph, Podz, Moody, stretch big, rim protector big (TJD?). I'm hoping we can trade Draymond, Wiggs, and JK and blow this thing up. I like JK but he's our best asset and his value is never going to be higher than this offseason.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#172 » by Onus » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:51 pm

I think what makes Podz a decent enough defender is that he understands assignments and rotations. He tends to overhelp and is small so can be taken advantage of.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors