Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#721 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
vvoland wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Franzphiles are funny, if JK put up numbers like Franz did yesterday you all would be ripping him. 5-17 FG's with 6 turnovers.

Franz is a nice player but he is already at his ceiling. JK will catch and pass him next season.

Much like my response to CDM and Onus, both of whom are pretty confident we've seen the best of JK (or close to it), I would tell you it's a bit early to say a 22 year old has peaked. Franz is dying to play in a well spaced offense and if Orl was on the fence about trying to sign Klay, I would imagine they're well off the fence now. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go after both, Klay and Monk.

valid. I just didn't see any jump from Franz this season and his 3pt% cratered.

I'd agree on that. I posted earlier that he was an NBA ready prospect coming out of Michigan and, at draft time, I thought his ceiling was closer to the player he already was than most top 10 picks. He has played well in an unlimited role in Orlando but I wonder how much he has left to improve. I think he'll be limited as a scorer and a playmaker while being a very solid, if unspectacular, defender. Not someone I would like to build my team around. Kind of like a more efficient RJ Barret or, Lauri Markannen with better defense. Those are good players but if they're your no 2, you're probably a 1 and done playoff team.

He's only 22 so I may be wrong but I don't really see the high ceiling that Onus or CDM do. Given an over/under of 1.5 all-star games, I'd pick the under. If he was in the west, I'd set the O/U at .5 and still go with the under.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#722 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:08 am

whatisacenter wrote:
vvoland wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Franzphiles are funny, if JK put up numbers like Franz did yesterday you all would be ripping him. 5-17 FG's with 6 turnovers.

Franz is a nice player but he is already at his ceiling. JK will catch and pass him next season.

Much like my response to CDM and Onus, both of whom are pretty confident we've seen the best of JK (or close to it), I would tell you it's a bit early to say a 22 year old has peaked. Franz is dying to play in a well spaced offense and if Orl was on the fence about trying to sign Klay, I would imagine they're well off the fence now. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go after both, Klay and Monk.

Did you miss my post or the long reddit post that shows how much he jumped and why?

But yeah he's not always playing great. That said, the guy improves in almost every category except one, one where he previously was at the league average, has a consistent improvement profile..

For all the hell I've heard about hating JK or being biased, I've backed up everything I've said from day 1 with a lot of evidence
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,011

Post#723 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Did you miss my post or the long reddit post that shows how much he jumped and why?

But yeah he's not always playing great. That said, the guy improves in almost every category except one, one where he previously was at the league average, has a consistent improvement profile..

For all the hell I've heard about hating JK or being biased, I've backed up everything I've said from day 1 with a lot of evidence

Yeah, I missed it and probably won't read it.

Have you watched his two games against the Cavs?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#724 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:19 am

vvoland wrote:Credible and "quality 3pt shooters" mean different things to me. I don't think DJM or RJ are quality. Better than JK and Dray, sure. Not a high bar, though. If that's the bar, yeah, I think JK can get there. He's never shot it as poorly as DJM and RJ have so I'll bet on that improving vs stagnating.

I guess I misunderstood this part and not sure I understand it even now. Are you saying if you're a 2pt scorer, you can only 'go off' if you're also a good defender?:

"Today's game does not allow players who are pure 2pt scorers to go off unless they are elite defenders, and thats a big ask too"

Not sure what you mean by 'good team" but last year's kings squad probably qualifies. As does this year's Orl. Neither have a 3pt shooter as a 1st or 2nd option. One was a historically great offense, one was pretty atrocious. Still, good teams where the offense was led by a player that doesn't/can't shoot 3s.

Can JK help drive an above average NBA offense as the no 2 option? I would say he did that for large stretches of this season. Did he do so on a 'good team?' Considering we were 10th in the conference, probably not.

If SS doesn't make a distinction between a contest that is many feet away and one that is right in the face of the shooter, isn't the nba.com data more accurate? If a contest from 8 ft away and one from 1 ft is the same on SS, it makes that specific metric somewhat useless.

How much DJM have you watched to say he's not a credible 3pt shooter? Because the second the shackles came off in terms of his offense, he started taking a lot, and he's hitting at a very good clip. Hows that not quality? Because in San Antonio, where he dominated the ball, he didnt take as many?

I said that guys who are 2 pt scorers arent #2 scorers unless they are elite defenders. Going further, typically means they are on an elite defensive team. Take the Knicks - their #2 scorer since Randle went down DDV. Now we saw him, is he a #2 option on ANY other team? Of course not. But because their system is extremely defense heavy, they can afford to have a less stellar option at #2. And DDV is a pretty good, but not elite, defender.

The Kings were a 3 seed last year at 48 wins, 9th this year at 46, and have yet to see the 2nd round. The Magic, #5 in the east (47), are in the process of getting bounced by Cleveland. Everyone knew they werent going to make noise, any of them. Vegas certainly knew.. because teams like that simply dont win. I mean are you arguing that point, or is just making the playoffs enough to be good?

SS and NBA.com are both accurate, thats not the point. One picks where a defender is, one picks what a defender is doing. After doing a lot of metric work, one of those data points was clearly more useful to me and the people I worked with. And by the way, they arent exclusive. You can use both and cross reference for the best of both worlds. But a contest as defined by them vs. distance of the nearest defender (which sometimes isn't even in the shooters' eyeline).. the contest is more linear than than the distance
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#725 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:24 am

whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I dont watch full games of the playoffs until theyve weeded the **** teams out. I've seen some stuff.. not been great. Have seen a lot of him in the regular season when he was though

But you're very comfortable talking about a player where you dont listen to the other arguments, and ignore all statistics for? And you want to call out people who do, and like the guy, just because the same metrics they use to like the guy dont like Kuminga? Why even chime in? It just seems like homer ****
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 19

Post#726 » by RUN-TJM » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 am

He was pretty bad yesterday but he wasn’t exactly Robinson Crusoe. Collectively the whole team looks to have struggled with the increase in intensity.

2 things have been highlighted so far in the 2 games.

1: Banchero and Wagner’s play making skills haven’t exactly shown out in a playoff setting.
2: Mobley still has a chance to be special.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#727 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 am

RUN-TJM wrote:He was pretty bad yesterday but he wasn’t exactly Robinson Crusoe. Collectively the whole team looks to have struggled with the increase in intensity.

1: Banchero and Wagner’s play making skills haven’t exactly shown out in a playoff setting.

I know its derailing but **** it, its the offseason:

what do you think of Paolo? I didnt want to pick a fight with that fanbase but after seeing that reddit post, some Magic fans are thinking the same thing I am. But I only caught like 10 Magic games this year that werent against GS
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#728 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:57 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I dont watch full games of the playoffs until theyve weeded the **** teams out. I've seen some stuff.. not been great. Have seen a lot of him in the regular season when he was though

But you're very comfortable talking about a player where you dont listen to the other arguments, and ignore all statistics for? And you want to call out people who do, and like the guy, just because the same metrics they use to like the guy dont like Kuminga? Why even chime in? It just seems like homer ****

This is the JK thread so I commented about my thoughts on JK and Franz. I’m not a metrics guy so I am not really interested in digging into them.

Onus has been crapping on Kuminga for 3 years now and has always sang the praises of Wagner and I was pointing out that if Kuminga played a game like Franz did he would dump on him for it.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#729 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:Credible and "quality 3pt shooters" mean different things to me. I don't think DJM or RJ are quality. Better than JK and Dray, sure. Not a high bar, though. If that's the bar, yeah, I think JK can get there. He's never shot it as poorly as DJM and RJ have so I'll bet on that improving vs stagnating.

I guess I misunderstood this part and not sure I understand it even now. Are you saying if you're a 2pt scorer, you can only 'go off' if you're also a good defender?:

"Today's game does not allow players who are pure 2pt scorers to go off unless they are elite defenders, and thats a big ask too"

Not sure what you mean by 'good team" but last year's kings squad probably qualifies. As does this year's Orl. Neither have a 3pt shooter as a 1st or 2nd option. One was a historically great offense, one was pretty atrocious. Still, good teams where the offense was led by a player that doesn't/can't shoot 3s.

Can JK help drive an above average NBA offense as the no 2 option? I would say he did that for large stretches of this season. Did he do so on a 'good team?' Considering we were 10th in the conference, probably not.

If SS doesn't make a distinction between a contest that is many feet away and one that is right in the face of the shooter, isn't the nba.com data more accurate? If a contest from 8 ft away and one from 1 ft is the same on SS, it makes that specific metric somewhat useless.

How much DJM have you watched to say he's not a credible 3pt shooter? Because the second the shackles came off in terms of his offense, he started taking a lot, and he's hitting at a very good clip. Hows that not quality? Because in San Antonio, where he dominated the ball, he didnt take as many?

I said that guys who are 2 pt scorers arent #2 scorers unless they are elite defenders. Going further, typically means they are on an elite defensive team. Take the Knicks - their #2 scorer since Randle went down DDV. Now we saw him, is he a #2 option on ANY other team? Of course not. But because their system is extremely defense heavy, they can afford to have a less stellar option at #2. And DDV is a pretty good, but not elite, defender.

The Kings were a 3 seed last year at 48 wins, 9th this year at 46, and have yet to see the 2nd round. The Magic, #5 in the east (47), are in the process of getting bounced by Cleveland. Everyone knew they werent going to make noise, any of them. Vegas certainly knew.. because teams like that simply dont win. I mean are you arguing that point, or is just making the playoffs enough to be good?

SS and NBA.com are both accurate, thats not the point. One picks where a defender is, one picks what a defender is doing. After doing a lot of metric work, one of those data points was clearly more useful to me and the people I worked with. And by the way, they arent exclusive. You can use both and cross reference for the best of both worlds. But a contest as defined by them vs. distance of the nearest defender (which sometimes isn't even in the shooters' eyeline).. the contest is more linear than than the distance

Looks like we just have different definitions for things. To me a 3 seed and a 5 seed are both 'good teams.' They're not great, almost by definition, but they're 'good teams'. I typically equate 'good' to 'consistently above average.'

I haven't watched nearly as much ATL as you have but I think DJM is a credible shooter, just not sure he's a quality one. I tend to think of 3pt shooters in 3 categories, based on how much the defense wants them to shoot: please do, ambivalent, and "Noooo!". Like your example, Dray will get wide open 3's, as many as he wants, until he shoots near 40% in a season where he takes a lot of them and actually hurts the defense. Right now, both he and JK are in the 'unguarded' bucket. The ambivalent bucket is where Wigs has found himself since showing he can hit them in GS. Teams close out, they're not daring him to shoot, but they're not chasing him off the line either. The other bucket is Steph, Klay (still), and shooters like that. I would say DJM made his way into the ambivalent bucket but will probably never graduate to "Noooo!" Franz started out in the middle but might f-- around and find himself in 'please do' as soon as next season. We'll see how JK improves but I'd bet he'd find himself in the middle rather soon.

If your argument really is that a #2 scoring option is either an elite defender or 3pt shooter, I think you'll lose that one. Again, you may not like where that team is headed, like Sac or Orl, but they are, in fact, teams that have a no2 scoring options that is neither. The sample size is getting smaller with every year as 3pt shooting because almost a pre-requisite but if you go back even 5-10 years, you'll find that much of the league fit that description.

Not sure that I would call DDV their 2nd option but, sure. It's really more like 2nd option by commitee and as their last two games have shown, they really just spam Brunson PnRs regardless of how well it's going. It's an option and, if I squint real hard, I can see him being the nominal no. 2. But i'm squinting real hard.

I get that they're both accurate in what they measure but it just seems so weird that JK has such an advantage over FW in the NBA metric and is 2x the OTHER way in SS. That seems like a fundamental disagreement with two metrics that measure similar, not identical, game actions (the assumption is that the man closing out is the closest defender and that the closest defender will close out, not just stand there). I fully accept that I may be reading the NBA stat incorrectly.

One last thing on FW. I'm not saying he hasn't improved. He's improved on things he's already doing well and the improvement is marginal. It's not like DJM and his 3pt shot after leaving SAS or Barnes and his 3pt shooting this season. or JK and his FT%. That's why I don't think FW has the ceiling some do. Will he be a scorer? Probably not. Will he be the primary or secondary creator? I'd bet against it. So, again, what's the role? 3rd option on both ends? If he's your best defender you're probably in a lot of trouble, right? and if he's your best offensive option, I don't even need to ask the question.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#730 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:44 am

whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

This is the JK thread so I commented about my thoughts on JK and Franz. I’m not a metrics guy so I am not really interested in digging into them.

Onus has been crapping on Kuminga for 3 years now and has always sang the praises of Wagner and I was pointing out that if Kuminga played a game like Franz did he would dump on him for it.

Franz does other things than just score, which is why even if he’s not scoring he can still make an impact which is exactly what this team has needed. Also Franz has some of the worst spacing in the league to work with. Plays out of position because of banchero, who is playing an offensive priority that he’s not ready for. The team is only really good because of their defense which franz plays a big part of.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,278

Post#731 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:32 am

vvoland wrote:

Kuminga is 21.5. Will turn 22 in October.

No more development now, he's at his ceiling?

He improved a lot on his FT shooting during the season.

If he can improve his 3-point shooting, it opens up more of his game.

But sure he's a trade asset, though it depends on whether other teams are offering pennies on the dollar for him.
Onus
RealGM

Post#732 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 am

wco81 wrote:
vvoland wrote:

But sure he's a trade asset, though it depends on whether other teams are offering pennies on the dollar for him.

I didn’t say that’s his ceiling. What I meant was this is going to be his role when I said this is what he’s going to be.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,246

Post#733 » by Impuniti » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 am

wco81 wrote:
vvoland wrote:

His entire overall defense needs to improve before anything else IMO.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#734 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 am

vvoland wrote:Looks like we just have different definitions for things. To me a 3 seed and a 5 seed are both 'good teams.' They're not great, almost by definition, but they're 'good teams'. I typically equate 'good' to 'consistently above average.'

I haven't watched nearly as much ATL as you have but I think DJM is a credible shooter, just not sure he's a quality one. I tend to think of 3pt shooters in 3 categories, based on how much the defense wants them to shoot: please do, ambivalent, and "Noooo!". Like your example, Dray will get wide open 3's, as many as he wants, until he shoots near 40% in a season where he takes a lot of them and actually hurts the defense. Right now, both he and JK are in the 'unguarded' bucket. The ambivalent bucket is where Wigs has found himself since showing he can hit them in GS. Teams close out, they're not daring him to shoot, but they're not chasing him off the line either. The other bucket is Steph, Klay (still), and shooters like that. I would say DJM made his way into the ambivalent bucket but will probably never graduate to "Noooo!" Franz started out in the middle but might f-- around and find himself in 'please do' as soon as next season. We'll see how JK improves but I'd bet he'd find himself in the middle rather soon.

If your argument really is that a #2 scoring option is either an elite defender or 3pt shooter, I think you'll lose that one. Again, you may not like where that team is headed, like Sac or Orl, but they are, in fact, teams that have a no2 scoring options that is neither. The sample size is getting smaller with every year as 3pt shooting because almost a pre-requisite but if you go back even 5-10 years, you'll find that much of the league fit that description.

Not sure that I would call DDV their 2nd option but, sure. It's really more like 2nd option by commitee and as their last two games have shown, they really just spam Brunson PnRs regardless of how well it's going. It's an option and, if I squint real hard, I can see him being the nominal no. 2. But i'm squinting real hard.

I get that they're both accurate in what they measure but it just seems so weird that JK has such an advantage over FW in the NBA metric and is 2x the OTHER way in SS. That seems like a fundamental disagreement with two metrics that measure similar, not identical, game actions (the assumption is that the man closing out is the closest defender and that the closest defender will close out, not just stand there). I fully accept that I may be reading the NBA stat incorrectly.

One last thing on FW. I'm not saying he hasn't improved. He's improved on things he's already doing well and the improvement is marginal. It's not like DJM and his 3pt shot after leaving SAS or Barnes and his 3pt shooting this season. or JK and his FT%. That's why I don't think FW has the ceiling some do. Will he be a scorer? Probably not. Will he be the primary or secondary creator? I'd bet against it. So, again, what's the role? 3rd option on both ends? If he's your best defender you're probably in a lot of trouble, right? and if he's your best offensive option, I don't even need to ask the question.

I'd say that if you say "<insert team> wins the title" and you didn't need to add a holy sh*t to either end of it, they are good. Its a very scientific and data based way to look at it, I know

Called DDV their 2nd option because he really is. Most plays attempted/touches that isnt Brunson. Its not as clear as most teams, but its their current reality

As for NBA.com/SS - the only time theres real discrepancies is when a guy like Kuminga or Draymond is compared to someone who isnt like them. System really isn't supposed to measure 2 guys in a rock fight from 3 because.. whats the value there? Plus cross-referencing is a bitch, because you can't just slap the 2 things together. Has to be done game to game - which shot had which level of coverage, etc. Lots of data cleaning.. so the payout better be worth it. Cant imagine that. But until teams actually look at Kuminga and don't invite the 3pter, hes a liability

I'd say your take on FW/JK in terms of improvement is almost the opposite of what's been proven to work in terms of future prediction. Making marginal improvements across the board, well except shooting, bodes well for continued improvement. Example: lets say there are tiers here, 1-5, 1 being awful, 2 poor, 3 good, 4 great, 5 elite. Instead of looking at it like 1-2-3-4-5, the reality is more like 1-2--3---4----5. Meaning its much harder to from good to great than awful to poor. Improving on something you're already good at is a fantastic sign - and to that end, Kuminga did improve on something he's good at too: finishing. That bodes well for his cutting/finishing game. But everywhere else he fell short... and since the Warriors only really needed that finishing/cutting to complement their very perimeter game, he's getting more shine than he should.

Now look at Franz, who apparently had a bad game 2 after a good game 1 (I'd assume? Metrics liked it anyways). He's not addressing the Magic's big need, but if he was? He'd be hailed as a superstar. Its just perception based on fit. But your perception is definitely slanted of him: he scored 19.7 ppg with a miserable 3ball this year, improving his midrange and finishing. If he hit his career average on 3s, he'd be a 22-23ppg guy. On top of that, 5 rebs, 3-4 assists, and one of the top 5-6 defensive SFs in the game. He's the secondary creator for them - right now. He's their best defender, right now. And for all the handling/creating he does, low turnovers. There's no shame in being 2nd to this guy, and JK's definitely 2nd to this guy if we're comparing them. Its not close and probably wont ever be, barring something that defies the long odds
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#735 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 am

Onus wrote:I didn’t say that’s his ceiling. What I meant was this is going to be his role when I said this is what he’s going to be.

I'll say its pretty damn close

Potential isnt magic, its pretty damn predictable if people do the work and apply it to their basketball knowledge
RUN-TJM
Senior

Post#736 » by RUN-TJM » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
RUN-TJM wrote:He was pretty bad yesterday but he wasn’t exactly Robinson Crusoe. Collectively the whole team looks to have struggled with the increase in intensity.

I know its derailing but **** it, its the offseason:

what do you think of Paolo? I didnt want to pick a fight with that fanbase but after seeing that reddit post, some Magic fans are thinking the same thing I am. But I only caught like 10 Magic games this year that werent against GS

He’s a talent. He hasn’t the first clue how to play winning basketball though. A really good example of what is wrong with a lot of US players coming through AAU. They’d be better off moving to Europe at 16 and learning to excel within the bounds of team offence.
With his size and skill he should be a plus defender and rebounder. He’s more keen to handle on a break than box out and help out at times. Thankfully he is surrounded plus level perimeter defenders and Wagner so his poor feel on that side doesn’t impact them as much.

Would I trade for him? Yes. I think the penny will drop for him. At the moment he is an empty stats monster though.
RUN-TJM
Senior

Post#737 » by RUN-TJM » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:54 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Now look at Franz, who apparently had a bad game 2 after a good game 1 (I'd assume? Metrics liked it anyways). He's not addressing the Magic's big need, but if he was? He'd be hailed as a superstar. Its just perception based on fit. But your perception is definitely slanted of him: he scored 19.7 ppg with a miserable 3ball this year, improving his midrange and finishing. If he hit his career average on 3s, he'd be a 22-23ppg guy. On top of that, 5 rebs, 3-4 assists, and one of the top 5-6 defensive SFs in the game. He's the secondary creator for them - right now. He's their best defender, right now. And for all the handling/creating he does, low turnovers. There's no shame in being 2nd to this guy, and JK's definitely 2nd to this guy if we're comparing them. Its not close and probably wont ever be, barring something that defies the long odds

As I stated somewhere else, I think if Wagner continues to play the way he has in the first 2 games, Orlando would be doing he and Banchero a massive disservice by not trading for a PG who can run the offence and hit open 3’s. Both need some of the playmaking duties taken off their plates or at least not have a team of kids so reliant on it.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#738 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:54 am

Maybe you guys should start a Franz thread…or better yet, go to the Magic forum.
Onus
RealGM

Post#739 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:32 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:I didn’t say that’s his ceiling. What I meant was this is going to be his role when I said this is what he’s going to be.

I'll say its pretty damn close

Potential isnt magic, its pretty damn predictable if people do the work and apply it to their basketball knowledge

I think we know what he's going to be in terms of role. I don't think that's going to magically change.
Onus
RealGM

Post#740 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Maybe you guys should start a Franz thread…or better yet, go to the Magic forum.

JK and Franz will be compared to until the end of their careers as long as JK is a warrior. It was a bad pick then, still a bad pick today.

Return to Golden State Warriors