2024 JK Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#521 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:43 pm

Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Even giving this team the benefit of the doubt that they somehow reach the playoffs, the lack of shooting as currently constructed is going to kill us quickly. I just can't see how Wiggins/JK/Draymond give us enough shooting in a playoff situation. Wiggins would have to get back to his 2022 skill level.

I mean really we’re going with a 3rd year player who only scores at the rim and a rookie in our closing lineup. Making any noise in the playoffs would be miraculous.

When you have a Shaq like player, do you need to have him scoring anywhere else besides the rim? Did Phil need to tell Shaq to practice three’s.

Yesterday and the game before was like playoff atmosphere and it told me this team will destroy mediocre playoff teams and be highly competitive with above average playoff teams. If they played Klay less or Kerr didn’t play that goofy lineup, the Warriors would have pulled away where they were in control.

The only test to remain is whether what they are doing will work on Denver & Bucks. Maybe it will, they have played them close. If not, then I suggest getting TJD and Moody up to speed down the stretch. And I rather give Draymond a breather despite the fact he has a high motor.

And also limit Klay’s minutes. He really is no longer a starter. Maybe playing with CP3 would be better by having him set him up for a shot instead of trying to make his own shot by falling sideways. But with CP3 and Klay playing together, they really need to pair them with defensive players like GP2 and Santos.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,276

Post#522 » by Onus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:56 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Even giving this team the benefit of the doubt that they somehow reach the playoffs, the lack of shooting as currently constructed is going to kill us quickly. I just can't see how Wiggins/JK/Draymond give us enough shooting in a playoff situation. Wiggins would have to get back to his 2022 skill level.

I mean really we’re going with a 3rd year player who only scores at the rim and a rookie in our closing lineup. Making any noise in the playoffs would be miraculous.

When you have a Shaq like player, do you need to have him scoring anywhere else besides the rim? Did Phil need to tell Shaq to practice three’s.

Yesterday and the game before was like playoff atmosphere and it told me this team will destroy mediocre playoff teams and be highly competitive with above average playoff teams. If they played Klay less or Kerr didn’t play that goofy lineup, the Warriors would have pulled away where they were in control.

The only test to remain is whether what they are doing will work on Denver & Bucks. Maybe it will, they have played them close. If not, then I suggest getting TJD and Moody up to speed down the stretch. And I rather give Draymond a breather despite the fact he has a high motor.

And also limit Klay’s minutes. He really is no longer a starter. Maybe playing with CP3 would be better by having him set him up for a shot instead of trying to make his own shot by falling sideways. But with CP3 and Klay playing together, they really need to pair them with defensive players like GP2 and Santos.

I’m not really criticizing jk for being a rim scorer. He just is. I like our team and think we can make some noise. But having 2 young players being in your closing lineup doesn’t usually win championships historically. Also having 70 m dollars on the bench during closing time isn’t a great allocation of resources. The front offices refusal to pick a direction is maddening.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#523 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:20 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:I mean really we’re going with a 3rd year player who only scores at the rim and a rookie in our closing lineup. Making any noise in the playoffs would be miraculous.

I’m not really criticizing jk for being a rim scorer. He just is. I like our team and think we can make some noise. But having 2 young players being in your closing lineup doesn’t usually win championships historically. Also having 70 m dollars on the bench during closing time isn’t a great allocation of resources. The front offices refusal to pick a direction is maddening.

Winning a championship is unrealistic high expectations. Maybe if they didn’t screw up the Wiseman pick but that is water under the bridge.

There weren’t really any options besides a broken down Hayward or Simmons. Their best option probably would have been trading Klay for Bojan, but I think some people would come out with pitchforks if that happened.

The only other option is paying a high price with future draft picks which I’m not in favor of unless they could get a superstar in his beginning prime, not just an all star in return. Good luck with that.
Onus
RealGM

Post#524 » by Onus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:28 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:When you have a Shaq like player, do you need to have him scoring anywhere else besides the rim? Did Phil need to tell Shaq to practice three’s.

Winning a championship is unrealistic high expectations. Maybe if they didn’t screw up the Wiseman pick but that is water under the bridge.

There weren’t really any options besides a broken down Hayward or Simmons. Their best option probably would have been trading Klay for Bojan, but I think some people would come out with pitchforks if that happened.

The only other option is paying a high price with future draft picks which I’m not in favor of unless they could get a superstar in his beginning prime, not just an all star in return. Good luck with that.

If the expectations aren’t to win a championship with Steph curry then what are we doing?

I’m not too mad at the deadline. Nothing really intriguing got moved other than bojan and maybe Kelly o. It’s really just the continuance from their thinking from 2020.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#525 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:37 pm

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:I’m not really criticizing jk for being a rim scorer. He just is. I like our team and think we can make some noise. But having 2 young players being in your closing lineup doesn’t usually win championships historically. Also having 70 m dollars on the bench during closing time isn’t a great allocation of resources. The front offices refusal to pick a direction is maddening.

If the expectations aren’t to win a championship with Steph curry then what are we doing?

I’m not too mad at the deadline. Nothing really intriguing got moved other than bojan and maybe Kelly o. It’s really just the continuance from their thinking from 2020.

There’s expectations and then there’s reality. Ask Klay about that. He wants to turn back the clock five years, that’s his expectations. And if his expectations works out then your expectation will work out as well.

Edit: I don’t have expectations, I just want to enjoy watching basketball which Kerr was ruining the experience for me earlier in the year.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#526 » by Impuniti » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:12 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:

I don't thnk Bucks make the finals but Bucks were get cooked by Steph now that they replaced their best perimeter defender with one of the worst perimeter defenders in the entire league.
Onus
RealGM

Post#527 » by Onus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:20 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Winning a championship is unrealistic high expectations. Maybe if they didn’t screw up the Wiseman pick but that is water under the bridge.

There’s expectations and then there’s reality. Ask Klay about that. He wants to turn back the clock five years, that’s his expectations. And if his expectations works out then your expectation will work out as well.

Edit: I don’t have expectations, I just want to enjoy watching basketball which Kerr was ruining the experience for me earlier in the year.

We’ve been able to play with anyone with an anchor holding us down and losing close games. We’re a much better team than we’ve shown. The rotations have been a mess. Our 2nd and 3rd best players have missed significant time and a string of games together.

The basketball viewing enjoyment has improved dramatically.
Onus
RealGM

Post#528 » by Onus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:21 pm

Impuniti wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:I mean really we’re going with a 3rd year player who only scores at the rim and a rookie in our closing lineup. Making any noise in the playoffs would be miraculous.

I don't thnk Bucks make the finals but Bucks were get cooked by Steph now that they replaced their best perimeter defender with one of the worst perimeter defenders in the entire league.

The bucks have a chance to not make it out of the first round.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#529 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:28 pm

Impuniti wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

I just want to see how a smaller lineup works against a larger lineup. Part of that has been clouded by Klay. I rather roll the lineup expected to play in the playoffs and see what issues there are so it can be corrected earlier otherwise Kerr is going to default going to smol and when the team starts losing going smoller.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#530 » by billinder33 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:52 pm

Onus wrote:The basketball viewing enjoyment has improved dramatically.

Truth.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,803

Post#531 » by floppymoose » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:21 am

Code: Select all

player    Net Points per 100 Possessions
Giddey   -3.1
Wagner   +4.7
Kuminga  +5.3
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#532 » by michaelm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:42 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:When you have a Shaq like player, do you need to have him scoring anywhere else besides the rim? Did Phil need to tell Shaq to practice three’s.

I just want to see how a smaller lineup works against a larger lineup. Part of that has been clouded by Klay. I rather roll the lineup expected to play in the playoffs and see what issues there are so it can be corrected earlier otherwise Kerr is going to default going to smol and when the team starts losing going smoller.

3 guard line up is what definitely didn’t work.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#533 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:36 am

Onus wrote:I’m not really criticizing jk for being a rim scorer. He just is. I like our team and think we can make some noise. But having 2 young players being in your closing lineup doesn’t usually win championships historically. Also having 70 m dollars on the bench during closing time isn’t a great allocation of resources. The front offices refusal to pick a direction is maddening.

We're talking about a team that won a championship just two years ago and has dynastic championship pedigree not a run-of-the-mill first time contender.

Have you forgotten the 2015 championship team had Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green only in their third year in the league while David Lee the highest paid player on the team sat on the bench for most of the playoffs?
michaelm
RealGM

Post#534 » by michaelm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 am

WarriorGM wrote:

We're talking about a team that won a championship just two years ago and has dynastic championship pedigree not a run-of-the-mill first time contender.

Have you forgotten the 2015 championship team had Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green only in their third year in the league while David Lee the highest paid player on the team sat on the bench for most of the playoffs?

If Kuminga keeps developing it will be intriguing, he is a different kind of foil for Curry than prime Klay, but a guy who absolutely can’t be stopped from getting to the rim is handy to have on a team, and something else for the opposition to worry about rather than Curry being the only option for a game winning play on the buzzer. I am still surprised Curry got that shot, although it did result from a genius pass rather than a misdirected pass Doris, and a rookie indeed threw the pass.

And the mistake which was not made in 2015 is to play a player because of his contract ahead of better players. Klay is on a salary he warranted at the time and CP3’s contract expires at the end of the year, and I stand to be corrected but don’t see who could be on the team instead of him.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#535 » by michaelm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:44 am

WarriorGM wrote:

If Kuminga keeps developing it will be intriguing, he is a different kind of foil for Curry than prime Klay, but a guy who absolutely can’t be stopped from getting to the rim is handy to have on a team, and something else for the opposition to worry about rather than Curry being the only option for a game winning play on the buzzer. I am still surprised Curry got that shot, although it did result from a genius pass rather than a misdirected pass Doris.
Onus
RealGM

Post#536 » by Onus » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:53 pm

WarriorGM wrote:

I didn't realize that we had a rookie closing in 2015. That's news to me.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#537 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:16 pm

Onus wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I didn't realize that we had a rookie closing in 2015. That's news to me.

Tony Parker was 20, same as Podz, when he won his first ring with Duncan. If this team really wants experience at PG, it also has Chris Paul.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,254

Post#538 » by ShootersShoot » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:02 pm

michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

If Kuminga keeps developing it will be intriguing, he is a different kind of foil for Curry than prime Klay, but a guy who absolutely can’t be stopped from getting to the rim is handy to have on a team, and something else for the opposition to worry about rather than Curry being the only option for a game winning play on the buzzer. I am still surprised Curry got that shot, although it did result from a genius pass rather than a misdirected pass Doris.

And its not like Kuminga can't score outside of the paint..he has a viable mid range and 3 point shot. His 10-12 foot fadeaway has looked like a solid weapon during this stretch. Yea, not the most dynamic perimeter scoring repertoire, but hes not exactly rondo out there.

We absolutely needed a guy who can wreck havoc getting to the basket. It helps collapse the defense for shooters, and also removes pressure from wiggins having to create shots. The fact that JK is willing to play to his strengths is a big plus and what he brings was sorely needed on this team.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#539 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:31 pm

Kuminga is not done improving. Even as Kumina is now I consider Kuminga to be a top 40 scorer in the league.

Most teams do not have 2 scorers as good as Kuminga. And our top scorer Curry is very good.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#540 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:17 am

Kuminga did not have a big game vs the Jazz tonight.
Last time Kuminga had a quiet game I predicting Kuminga would get 30 points the next game and he ended getting 28 that next game.

I just felt like Kuminga would be the kind of guy that wants to score after a quiet game.
I am predicting Kuminga to score 30 vs the Clippers in the next game.
If Kuminga does score 30 I am going to start betting on Kuminga to score 25 or more after quiet games.

Return to Golden State Warriors