2024 JK Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#541 » by floppymoose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm

This Lakers game coming up is huge. If JK can play well against LAL, then GSW might have a good chance to make it out of the play-in.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,261

Post#542 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm

floppymoose wrote:This Lakers game coming up is huge. If JK can play well against LAL, then GSW might have a good chance to make it out of the play-in.

He needs to be prepared to be fouled a lot and not get to the FT line while on the other end, he will get whistled for the most ticky tacky BS.

He will be put in foul trouble too, can bet on that.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#543 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:10 am

Nice if Kuminga can show up against the Lakers but he does not solve the size problem (nor the Lakers foul/freethrow bias but nothing can be done about that). I mean Kuminga is not going to be blocking AD's shot. Whether Kuminga is good or not, the Lakers are still a bad matchup for them, especially since Kerr will insist on going as small as possible. TJD might help, but AD is a tough matchup for him as well.

What Kuminga needs to do is keep being aggressive driving to get the defense moving, but be very aware of AD, LeBron, Vanderbilt, Wood, Hayes lurking to block his shot inside, he can't get away with lazy layups or slow, hesitant mid-range shots against that team. He has been doing something interesting lately against guys like Kessler, Zubac, Nurkic, and Turner where he will take it at the rim but instead of bringing the ball up top early and trying to go over/through a taller defender, he gets a fast step around the side of them and reaches the ball underneath, so that when he brings the ball up, it's in-between the defender and the rim, with the defender now out of position and possibly turned the wrong way. That could be a killer move if he can refine it.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#544 » by Onus » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:39 pm

JKs biggest difference right now and from when he was on fire is that he's not taking any midrange / post up shots. He's trying to get the rim every single trip down and teams are just waiting for him at the rim and it's causing a ton of issues.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#545 » by EvanZ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:12 pm

Onus wrote:JKs biggest difference right now and from when he was on fire is that he's not taking any midrange / post up shots. He's trying to get the rim every single trip down and teams are just waiting for him at the rim and it's causing a ton of issues.

The honeymoon phase is over. Teams are going to make him put it on the floor.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#546 » by floppymoose » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:56 pm

I actually like the way JK is playing right now. He proved to the league he is a threat. Now they are taking him seriously. And that has opened up passing opportunities for him, and he is making good decisions there. Sure it would be great if he had a Steph Curry 3 pointer. But given that he doesn't, he is doing the right thing.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#547 » by TB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:46 pm

floppymoose wrote:I actually like the way JK is playing right now. He proved to the league he is a threat. Now they are taking him seriously. And that has opened up passing opportunities for him, and he is making good decisions there. Sure it would be great if he had a Steph Curry 3 pointer. But given that he doesn't, he is doing the right thing.

Yup this is how I see it too. He is playing much more under control even when he is in attack mode. When its not there, he has been passing and keeping the offense moving. Corner three has been solid as well. And he's got the Leonard paint jumper coming along nicely for when the rim is blocked off. And the effort has been there on defense as well.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#548 » by HiRez » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:53 am

Over the last 6 games he's averaging 14.0 pts, 5.8 reb, and 4.5 ast, and playing pretty good defense, really starting to be more multidimensional. And only 7 3s attempted in those 6 games. I'm sure it will come with some fits and starts, but he's getting there nicely.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 83

Post#549 » by billinder33 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:25 am

Imagine this guy at age 26. He's going to be a force.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#550 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:11 pm

He definitely took a great step forward. By far our most improved player. If we can re-sign him for 30 mi/year or so, that would be great, as if he reaches restricted FA I believe some team would offer him a max.

I think he will have another jump in production next season, as he's given more responsability and feels more comfortable in his role.

I'd not be surprised if he eventually reaches All-Star level a few years later.

You know, sometimes you just gotta be patient with extremely young players, you can have a nice surprise down the road...
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,926

Post#551 » by whatisacenter » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:57 pm

HiRez wrote:Over the last 6 games he's averaging 14.0 pts, 5.8 reb, and 4.5 ast, and playing pretty good defense, really starting to be more multidimensional. And only 7 3s attempted in those 6 games. I'm sure it will come with some fits and starts, but he's getting there nicely.

Yet some will say he is the same player he’s always been just playing more minutes…
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
wco81
RealGM

Post#552 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:43 pm

Main thing he provides is rim pressure and some short pull-up/post game that most of the other rotation players don't provide.

Curry can have some games with driving to the basket a lot but he takes a lot of contact without drawing fouls.

So it diversifies the offense.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#553 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
HiRez wrote:Over the last 6 games he's averaging 14.0 pts, 5.8 reb, and 4.5 ast, and playing pretty good defense, really starting to be more multidimensional. And only 7 3s attempted in those 6 games. I'm sure it will come with some fits and starts, but he's getting there nicely.

Yet some will say he is the same player he’s always been just playing more minutes…

Yeah and I think during the stretch where he was going for 20+ every night that take was maybe easier to justify. But to me 14/5.8/4.5 is more impressive and more valuable than 22/2/1.5 or something. I think his handle is still iffy, but he seems to be more aware of it and limiting opportunities for defenders to get in there and disrupt his dribble. For example, passing out earlier instead of pounding the rock and waiting, and looking for more backdoor cuts where he doesn't need to dribble at all (having Draymond and CP3 back helps there too because they're great at recognizing it). The rebounding is nice to have, but to me it's really his passing that has had the most impact lately, he's really looking for and finding other guys when the defense collapses on him and that opens things up for everyone, including getting Klay cleaner set shots.
wco81
RealGM

Post#554 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:41 pm

A lot of the times he's trying to go directly to the rim, sometimes through defenders. He needs to develop more finesse, like recognize when he can Euro step and still finish. Or the way Curry finishes high off the glass against some big men, shielding the ball with his body.

His main move is to try to back defenders down until he can get an easy fade away if he can't get to the rim.

He needs to develop counter moves and ball fakes, improve his footwork. Integrate more of the SGA game of ball fakes and finishing with either hand. All easier said than done, obviously.

As for off the ball, he could get more easy dunks when he screens for Klay or Curry and slips the screen for easy dunks like the game vs. the Wizards. Obviously they're a poor defensive team but I wonder how he fares in lineups with Curry or Klay, whether their gravity will get him going to the basket for lobs relatively uncontested dunks.

Even when there aren't screening actions, he could slash more from the wing to try to get some easier chances to finish at the rim. They don't seem to run those kinds of actions for him that much though.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#555 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:38 am

Hey Floppy,

You know what’s great about being right? Everything…lol
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
MintFresh
Junior
And1: 195

Post#556 » by MintFresh » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:46 am

I had to login for this take.... is JK him? Evan has been trashing him since 3 years ago but has he fully realized his potential?
MintFresh
Junior

Post#557 » by MintFresh » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:47 am

Sleepy51 wrote:Hey Floppy,

Your a moderator relax :D (plz dont ban me)
MintFresh
Junior

Post#558 » by MintFresh » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:48 am

billinder33 wrote:Imagine this guy at age 26. He's going to be a force.

this is my thoughts EXACTLY.

my goodness, hes doing **** at his age is insane
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#559 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:44 pm

MintFresh wrote:I had to login for this take.... is JK him? Evan has been trashing him since 3 years ago but has he fully realized his potential?

To me he has. He has played exactly how I dreamed he would. Anything else he do now would be extra credit. I had him for my number one pick after looking at all the other draft candidates that year.

Yesterday’s performance was against the Knicks so I don’t get too excited. He did what he was supposed to, beat up on injured team. What is a good sign is he now commands the double team and they are making plays for him to pass out. He looks a lot like Shaq when he operated from the post but in a forwards body.

Reviewing his highlights, I know defenders have no real way of stopping him. It’s all about what he chooses to do and whether he chooses the right move to make. He’s so athletic and strong, he often goes to his power moves, but that gives a defense a chance to contest. At some point he will learn to attack away from defensive pressure not towards it and it will be over for the league because no one can stop him but him.

He does abuse smaller players which is why I suggest they install Moody in the starting lineup and have JK destroy guards by being in the SG spot. I would like to see Kerr play a Dray Moody Wiggins JK Curry lineup to see whether my theory works. I would like to see Kerr run this lineup against the Lakers or Dallas to see whether the team would get an advantage. If it does I would build chemistry for this lineup before the playoffs.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#560 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:02 pm

MintFresh wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:Hey Floppy,

Your a moderator relax :D (plz dont ban me)

Retired mod…imma talk my s :censored:
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?

Return to Golden State Warriors