ImageImageImageImageImage

Is the Draymond Situation Starting to Bother You?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

billinder33
Junior
And1: 85

Re: Is the Draymond Situation Starting to Bother You? 

Post#201 » by billinder33 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:28 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:We have Steph
We have Dray
We have elite wing, help defence plus strong transition and bail out offence in Wiggs
We have elite rim attack and aggressive poa defence in JK
We have a rook Swiss army knife getting lots of reps in Podz
We have a lockdown poa defender who can attack the rim in GP2.
We have an elite half court floor general in CP3
We have serviceable backup bigs with different strengths in Looney, TJD and Saric.
We have serviceable depth in young players Moody, Gui and Quinones.

And we potentially have a microwave off-the-bench shooter in Klay.

Nice lyrics! Can I find this song on Spotify?
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Post#202 » by Jerry Maine » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:35 pm

billinder33 wrote:
We have Dray
We have elite wing, help defence plus strong transition and bail out offence in Wiggs
We have serviceable backup bigs with different strengths in Looney, TJD and Saric.

https://open.spotify.com/track/105fQcjPBxYfd3TfcfcuME
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,690

Post#203 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 pm

billinder33 wrote:
We have Dray

Just give me Trayce Bogut. Trayce with Bogut’s size, experience and ball handling and Bogut with Trace’s durability speed and hops and rim running game and our team would be as good as any team in the NBA.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man

Post#204 » by Jerry Maine » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 pm

Impuniti wrote:
We have Dray

Podz / CP3 / Quinones
Steph / Klay / Moody
Wiggs / GP2
JK / Saric / Gui
Dray / Loon / TJD

I'm not worried about Dray playing the bulk of his minutes at C, he's built for it

CP3 should be Stephs backup, Klay/CP3 should be switched.

I can see Klay being a focus when Steph sits so ran with 30 as a 2, Klay essentially backing him up and Podz coming out for CP3

I hope CP3 only gets situational minutes going forward to preserve him for the postseason, give Podz and Lester more exposure.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,085

Post#205 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:50 pm

Draymond has shut up a lot of his haters on here :lol:
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man

Post#206 » by Jerry Maine » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:01 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Draymond has shut up a lot of his haters on here :lol:

Dray has done very well at maintaining his aggression but not letting it boil over.

We'll see if he can maintain it, not that we have any other choice
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#207 » by michaelm » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:22 am

Jerry Maine wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
We have Dray

Podz / CP3 / Quinones
Steph / Klay / Moody
Wiggs / GP2
JK / Saric / Gui
Dray / Loon / TJD

I'm not worried about Dray playing the bulk of his minutes at C, he's built for it

CP3 should be Stephs backup, Klay/CP3 should be switched.

I can see Klay being a focus when Steph sits so ran with 30 as a 2, Klay essentially backing him up and Podz coming out for CP3

I hope CP3 only gets situational minutes going forward to preserve him for the postseason, give Podz and Lester more exposure.

Klay could be very useful coming off the bench if he happily accepted that role.

Since Draymond has returned they have gone back to the offense flowing from the defence as it did in their heyday, and have looked better when Klay didn’t start at all. Sad to see and his current physical deficiencies are not at all his fault, but you simply can’t start the game off with elite defence if both Curry and Klay start.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man

Post#208 » by Jerry Maine » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 am

michaelm wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:
Impuniti wrote:CP3 should be Stephs backup, Klay/CP3 should be switched.

Klay could be very useful coming off the bench if he happily accepted that role.

Since Draymond has returned they have gone back to the offense flowing from the defence as it did in their heyday, and have looked better when Klay didn’t start at all. Sad to see and his current physical deficiencies are not at all his fault, but you simply can’t start the game off with elite defence if both Curry and Klay start.

Fully agree,

The sooner Klay slides into a bench scorer role the better, for himself and the team. We need defence in his position from the tip, and he can eat against second units with CP3 orchestrating the offence.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#209 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:44 am

If Dray at center was clearly our best unit but you felt a need to cap Dray’s center minutes at 16 minutes per game to preserve Dray, when do you play Dray at center?

I am thinking play Dray at center the last 6 minutes of the game, the first 5 minutes of the game and another 5 minutes to stop runs.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#210 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:37 am

Draymond at center is definitely the best option, and always has been. I think you play him only at center, and try not to overuse him (though definitely more than 16 mpg). Thankfully Warriors now have Looney AND TDJ to back him up.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#211 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:13 am

Yes it is bothering me that some Warriors fan do not realize how valuable Draymond is.
It also bothers me that the thug side of Draymond blinds some people to the fact that Draymond is sweet, loving, funny, loyal and intelligent.

He may be a thug but he is also a good person. But he should not be proud of how tough Saginaw was.
Worst neighborhood in Saginaw thug culture got you suspended Draymond; don’t be so proud of being a bad boy from Saginaw. You are a lovable funny dude regardless where you are from.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,082

Post#212 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:19 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Draymond at center is definitely the best option, and always has been. I think you play him only at center, and try not to overuse him (though definitely more than 16 mpg). Thankfully Warriors now have Looney AND TDJ to back him up.

Gonna get crushed on the boards then unless he's playing with Podz and Wiggins, both, a ton. Lots of poor rebounders at the other positions. Looking at the projected top 10 on the roster w/Looney and TJD factored out - how many of them rebound their position well? GP2, Podz, and Wiggins are about it. Curry used to, but PG is kinda negligible so maybe he still is. But CP3, Klay, Kuminga, Saric, Q?

I mean we shielded Dray from being beat up inside during his prime, we shouldnt be trying to do it more now that he's in his 30s. Plus a huge part of the value of the Wiggins/JK/Dray trio is that you can slide them anywhere 2-5 to address a shortcoming
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#213 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:28 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Draymond at center is definitely the best option, and always has been. I think you play him only at center, and try not to overuse him (though definitely more than 16 mpg). Thankfully Warriors now have Looney AND TDJ to back him up.

Gonna get crushed on the boards then unless he's playing with Podz and Wiggins, both, a ton. Lots of poor rebounders at the other positions. Looking at the projected top 10 on the roster w/Looney and TJD factored out - how many of them rebound their position well? GP2, Podz, and Wiggins are about it. Curry used to, but PG is kinda negligible so maybe he still is. But CP3, Klay, Kuminga, Saric, Q?

I mean we shielded Dray from being beat up inside during his prime, we shouldnt be trying to do it more now that he's in his 30s. Plus a huge part of the value of the Wiggins/JK/Dray trio is that you can slide them anywhere 2-5 to address a shortcoming

Part of playing Draymond at center is to start Kuminga. If we are benching are best rebounder Looney to play Kuminga I want Kuminga to help with the rebounding. Kuminga can go get the rebound or box out and let Podz get the rebound but Kuminga shouldn’t be letting the other team get the rebound.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#214 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:46 am

michaelm wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:
Impuniti wrote:CP3 should be Stephs backup, Klay/CP3 should be switched.

Reduce Klay’s minutes but I still want Klay getting his minutes with Dray and Curry and Kuminga.

Who do I want the 5th guy to be? Wiggins or Tryce.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#215 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:00 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:

Warriors are in the top 3 in rebounding rate in the League, I don't think rebounding is a big concern? There aren't a lot of bruiser centers anymore and I think a slight reduction in mpg plus the saved wear and tear from missing so many games this season will keep him in good shape. And on the flipside everything falls apart with the various player combinations when you have Draymond at the four.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#216 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Warriors are in the top 3 in rebounding rate in the League, I don't think rebounding is a big concern? There aren't a lot of bruiser centers anymore and I think a slight reduction in mpg plus the saved wear and tear from missing so many games this season will keep him in good shape. And on the flipside everything falls apart with the various player combinations when you have Draymond at the four.

Does it? Because it looks like once a certain guard is removed, the defense is just as healthy

Also rebrate is lying a bit because teams were making their shots against our very soft defense for most of the year. Using just the past month, the rebrate drops below average. In the past, less rebounding opportunities because of more made shots against.. also the OREB rate is carrying the team. The Warriors currently at 13th in DREB% (75.9) and that rate has lowered in February (75.3). Last year they were at 76 and they were at 78.7 in the championship year.

Also Green + TJD is fine, Green+Looney broke even despite suffering through Klay's defense and Wiggins' broken shot earlier. Just have to bench Klay for it to be viable
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#217 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:54 pm

Green + TJD is too unproven to rely on that as a regular staple this season. At least until proven otherwise once they have a bigger sample size together.

Green + Looney has been a problem for a while, and before Looney's drop-off in play this season. Having two non-shooters out there clogging the paint...

You can bench Klay, sure, but you're gonna play Wiggs at the two? Or you're gonna break up the Dray/Kuminga/Wiggs trio? Either of those is less than ideal. The ideal lineup is Steph, Wiggins, Kuminga, Draymond, and then whoever you want to put at the two - Klay, or if you don't like Klay, Podz. Or CP3. Or GP2. Or Moody. Or mix and match. But Steph on the floor, Draymond at the five, and Kuminga and Wiggins playing alongside Draymond seems to me to be the best lineup by far.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#218 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:21 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Green + TJD is too unproven to rely on that as a regular staple this season. At least until proven otherwise once they have a bigger sample size together.

Green + Looney has been a problem for a while, and before Looney's drop-off in play this season. Having two non-shooters out there clogging the paint...

You can bench Klay, sure, but you're gonna play Wiggs at the two? Or you're gonna break up the Dray/Kuminga/Wiggs trio? Either of those is less than ideal. The ideal lineup is Steph, Wiggins, Kuminga, Draymond, and then whoever you want to put at the two - Klay, or if you don't like Klay, Podz. Or CP3. Or GP2. Or Moody. Or mix and match. But Steph on the floor, Draymond at the five, and Kuminga and Wiggins playing alongside Draymond seems to me to be the best lineup by far.
10 variations of Dray, Kuminga, Wiggins Cury and the 5th man will be the variation.

Dray, Kuminga, Wiggins, Curry had a bad night vs the Clippers.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#219 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:11 am

Nice Draymond interview of Shane Baatier.

https://youtu.be/Qqgk67l5JLg

Draymond is pretty unique. Not many players like Draymond.
I do not know who is the most similar to Draymond but Shane Battier would make my top ten list of players similar to Draymond.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#220 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Green + TJD is too unproven to rely on that as a regular staple this season. At least until proven otherwise once they have a bigger sample size together.

Fine on Looney, but the only thing holding TJD back is Kerr. There's no rational argument to hinder flexibility

Yes.
No.
There is no ideal anymore, we react to other teams, they dont react to us
That lineup is not ideal and hinders flexbility for no reason.
The best lineup is based on the matchup.

Return to Golden State Warriors