Joe Lacob has no clue

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Re: Joe Lacob has no clue 

Post#61 » by Bayside » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:35 am

Did anyone have a clue?

That wiggins was never going to show up?
After the post season rib injury, I really thought early on looked like he was protecting his ribs and not really extending.

Must be so much that we all have no clue about behind the scenes. Just go with the narative, rib issues, family issues. Who knows. Gets paid millions regardless. Work ethic.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#62 » by a8bil » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:42 am

Coxy wrote:This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen on this board for quite some time.
And, amusingly, I'm sure you knew it would be before you clicked on it. I certainly did. And I knew which posters would show up to fluff the OP as well.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#63 » by a8bil » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:43 am

DevinVassell wrote:Awaiting cpowers upcoming threads...

"Steph Curry can't shoot"

and

"Draymond needs to teach younger players self-control"
I wasn't expecting to laugh in this thread...but I was wrong! :lol:
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#64 » by Warriorfan » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:47 am

True success in business is hard work/preparation meets opportunity.
Lacob already checked those boxes and greatly been financially been rewarded for that
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#65 » by michaelm » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:47 am

CS707 wrote:Paying to keep a championship team together is huge, something the majority of owners wouldn’t have done. While I personally don’t love the move to SF, getting an arena done in the Bay Area, let alone SF is something that not a lot of people have accomplished. He’s done more in his decade or so of ownership than some other owners have done in a lifetime. What we’re seeing is the end of a dynasty. It’s part of the ebb and flow of sports fandom.

Yes, how many other teams have won 4 titles in the last decade ?.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#66 » by cpower » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:14 pm

svart wrote:
GswStorm3 wrote:
Coxy wrote:This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen on this board for quite some time.

Agreed It's not close.

indeed.

and the irony is the opening post itself is clueless : ))))))

sure you all have a clue but not able to provide any useful argument to support anything.

If you actually look around
Kobe's team played in every playoffs until he falls off
Lebron's team played in every playoffs whenever him and AD was healthy
KG's team played in every playoffs until he was 37
Dirk's team played in every playoffs whenever he was healthy until he was 37

meanwhile Curry already about to miss 2 playoffs whose fault is it?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#67 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:01 pm

This would actually be the first year he’s missed the playoffs since our run began. The year we were in the play-in we were actually the 8th seed and I’m not counting the year he played 3 games. Some of your examples are ridiculous “when Lebron has AD”, well that’s kind of a big deal to have AD. He’s one of the best players in the NBA. Steph, AD, me, Coxy, and Quazza could make the playoffs.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#68 » by cpower » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:33 pm

sounds like you have tons of excuse .. yes they missed playoffs ..

i am sure Steph Curry would not be excuse but all business otherwise he would not be as great as he is today
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#69 » by tal57 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:Owners generally are not expected to have a clue. The problem is when they think they do. Dunning-Kruger type thinking. That is Lacob's problem.

I've been saying this since Lacob got rid of West for West getting rightful accolades for building the championship team, most importantly firmly standing in the way of KT/possibly Green package for Love. Lacob the GM on the other hand blew two lottery drafts to throw the team 5 years back if not more behind the league's rising teams like Denver, MN and OKC. Not to mention other teams. On top of having the coach who was great for the 2016-2019 teams when he had to show up and just roll the ball, but not that good for the current team. Yes, Lacob always had a circle of his confidants he is soliciting opinions. But it is his believe and call that matters, even if it overrides all other suggestions. Lacob was a minority owner of the Celtics before purchasing the Warriors and he has always had an inflated opinion of himself as on par with the better GMs in the league. Hiring West was a shrewd move but the necessity to turn around the franchise, most importantly shed the label and perception of the strong standing most dreaded team in the league on the heels of Cohen's very long ownership. But after huge successes eventually West's hire crossing with his ego. He is very passionate for winning, and spending whatever it takes, given he has abundance of resources, especially with the team's value going up at least 10 times since purchase. What he lacks is the third component of the best owner, hiring right people to run basketball operations and stay away. In other words, he is somewhat semblance of Jerry Jones of the NBA. What he needs to be is Eddie DeBartolo.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#70 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:28 pm

cpower wrote:sounds like you have tons of excuse .. yes they missed playoffs ..

i am sure Steph Curry would not be excuse but all business otherwise he would not be as great as he is today

I replied because your argument doesn't hold any water. I don't actually care about making playoffs as a marker for Lacob's success.

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#71 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:34 pm

tal57 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Owners generally are not expected to have a clue. The problem is when they think they do. Dunning-Kruger type thinking. That is Lacob's problem.

I've been saying this since Lacob got rid of West for West getting rightful accolades for building the championship team, most importantly firmly standing in the way of KT/possibly Green package for Love. Lacob the GM on the other hand blew two lottery drafts to throw the team 5 years back if not more behind the league's rising teams like Denver, MN and OKC. Not to mention other teams. On top of having the coach who was great for the 2016-2019 teams when he had to show up and just roll the ball, but not that good for the current team. Yes, Lacob always had a circle of his confidants he is soliciting opinions. But it is his believe and call that matters, even if it overrides all other suggestions. Lacob was a minority owner of the Celtics before purchasing the Warriors and he has always had an inflated opinion of himself as on par with the better GMs in the league. Hiring West was a shrewd move but the necessity to turn around the franchise, most importantly shed the label and perception of the strong standing most dreaded team in the league on the heels of Cohen's very long ownership. But after huge successes eventually West's hire crossing with his ego. He is very passionate for winning, and spending whatever it takes, given he has abundance of resources, especially with the team's value going up at least 10 times since purchase. What he lacks is the third component of the best owner, hiring right people to run basketball operations and stay away. In other words, he is somewhat semblance of Jerry Jones of the NBA. What he needs to be is Eddie DeBartolo.

look at all the success West has brought to the Clippers...

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#72 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:34 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:This would actually be the first year he’s missed the playoffs since our run began. The year we were in the play-in we were actually the 8th seed and I’m not counting the year he played 3 games. Some of your examples are ridiculous “when Lebron has AD”, well that’s kind of a big deal to have AD. He’s one of the best players in the NBA. Steph, AD, me, Coxy, and Quazza could make the playoffs.

The Steph/Quazza pick and roll would be lethal.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#73 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:12 pm

Coxy wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:This would actually be the first year he’s missed the playoffs since our run began. The year we were in the play-in we were actually the 8th seed and I’m not counting the year he played 3 games. Some of your examples are ridiculous “when Lebron has AD”, well that’s kind of a big deal to have AD. He’s one of the best players in the NBA. Steph, AD, me, Coxy, and Quazza could make the playoffs.

The Steph/Quazza pick and roll would be lethal.

more like pouch and roll, amirite? :eyebrows:

michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#74 » by michaelm » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:26 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
tal57 wrote:

I wouldn’t totally dismiss the chances of the Clippers this season. How much West will have contributed to any success they might have is a different question, the guy is pushing 90 apart from anything else. Had he continued longer at GSW my surmise is that he would not have supported drafting Wiseman though. Maybe he would have been sufficiently astute to point the FO towards Haliburton, the guy GSW and several other teams did whiff on.

Not much Lacob or anyone else can do about Steph Curry eventually getting old, and Steph is the main basis for the team’s success. Imo all parties including the coaching staff contributed well to the winning of the 4th title which was unexpected for most including me, and Lacob commendably spent more freely than most owners would have done to fund that team. 4 titles in the last decade is rather better than any other franchise has done.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#75 » by EvanZ » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:19 pm

Is West still playing a big role with the LAC?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#76 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:28 pm

michaelm wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
tal57 wrote:I've been saying this since Lacob got rid of West for West getting rightful accolades for building the championship team, most importantly firmly standing in the way of KT/possibly Green package for Love. Lacob the GM on the other hand blew two lottery drafts to throw the team 5 years back if not more behind the league's rising teams like Denver, MN and OKC. Not to mention other teams. On top of having the coach who was great for the 2016-2019 teams when he had to show up and just roll the ball, but not that good for the current team. Yes, Lacob always had a circle of his confidants he is soliciting opinions. But it is his believe and call that matters, even if it overrides all other suggestions. Lacob was a minority owner of the Celtics before purchasing the Warriors and he has always had an inflated opinion of himself as on par with the better GMs in the league. Hiring West was a shrewd move but the necessity to turn around the franchise, most importantly shed the label and perception of the strong standing most dreaded team in the league on the heels of Cohen's very long ownership. But after huge successes eventually West's hire crossing with his ego. He is very passionate for winning, and spending whatever it takes, given he has abundance of resources, especially with the team's value going up at least 10 times since purchase. What he lacks is the third component of the best owner, hiring right people to run basketball operations and stay away. In other words, he is somewhat semblance of Jerry Jones of the NBA. What he needs to be is Eddie DeBartolo.

I wouldn’t totally dismiss the chances of the Clippers this season. How much West will have contributed to any success they might have is a different question, the guy is pushing 90 apart from anything else. Had he continued longer at GSW my surmise is that he would not have supported drafting Wiseman though. Maybe he would have been sufficiently astute to point the FO towards Haliburton, the guy GSW and several other teams did whiff on.

Not much Lacob or anyone else can do about Steph Curry eventually getting old, and Steph is the main basis for the team’s success. Imo all parties including the coaching staff contributed well to the winning of the 4th title which was unexpected for most including me, and Lacob commendably spent more freely than most owners would have done to fund that team. 4 titles in the last decade is rather better than any other franchise has done.

And the same could be said for his contribution to the Warriors. What was it exactly? Probably a lot less than people think. He said it himself that he was brought in to mentor Bob Myers, not to be the GM behind the curtain, yet people give him credit for our good personnel decisions and blame Bob and Lacob for our bad ones. It’s dumb. The only actual decision I’ve ever heard him attached to was he was a advocate for not trading Klay for Love.

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,403

Post#77 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:40 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
michaelm wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

And the same could be said for his contribution to the Warriors. What was it exactly? Probably a lot less than people think. He said it himself that he was brought in to mentor Bob Myers, not to be the GM behind the curtain, yet people give him credit for our good personnel decisions and blame Bob and Lacob for our bad ones. It’s dumb. The only actual decision I’ve ever heard him attached to was he was an advocate for not trading Klay for Love.

That was huge being an advocate for Klay. That one move could change the story completely and he was willing to lose his job over it which other GM’s usually take the opposite path which is do a mediocre move to keep their job. Losing West that early in the process would have been a black mark on Lacob and the franchise, so it’s good he used that as leverage when he had it. Imagine that it took threatening to quit for management to listen and make the right decision. It’s doubtful anyone had the stones to stick up for what’s right at the organization since.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,403

Post#78 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:42 pm

EvanZ wrote:Is West still playing a big role with the LAC?

I’m sure he is. There’s nothing he like better than to stick it to the Lakers for treating him so shabbily. This is his petty last revenge tour.
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#79 » by tal57 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:18 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
tal57 wrote:

First of all, West's designated role with the Clippers was not nearly the same as with the Warriors. He joined the Clippers as an incognito adviser to Balmer in NBA hierarchy relationships capacity. As well as attracting the stars. Not as much as team developer. With the Warriors he demanded a big say in construction of the team and Lacob had no choice but to grant that in order to lure him in.
Secondly, 74-year-old and 80-year-old (the age West jointed the respective teams) are huge difference at that age level in terms of energy, drive and host of other things to maintain the high level of efficiency.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#80 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:42 pm

He was an advisor to Lacob and Guber too, you really don't know how much influence a consultant like West has inside an organization whether with the Warriors or Clippers. Everything you said is speculation.

Return to Golden State Warriors