ImageImageImageImageImage

Is It Time to Trade Klay?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Yes or No. Should the Warriors trade Klay?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 44

Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Is It Time to Trade Klay? 

Post#1 » by Romulus » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:07 am

Should the Warriors not wait and instead pull the trigger before the deadline?
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,268

Re: Is It Time to Trade Klay? 

Post#2 » by DonaldSanders » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:10 am

Has been time since last year
DB23
Junior
And1: 394

Post#3 » by DB23 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:10 am

For purely sentimental reasons I’d keep him and try moody in the starting lineup for the rest of the year.

Max offer 10mil per and let him walk if he doesn’t take it.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,268

Post#4 » by DonaldSanders » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:15 am

DB23 wrote:For purely sentimental reasons I’d keep him and try moody in the starting lineup for the rest of the year.

I mean many of us have seen this as the obvious move since last year, the issue is Steve plays him a ton of minutes no matter what. You either need to trade Klay or fire Steve, or both.
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by Romulus » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:16 am

DB23 wrote:For purely sentimental reasons I’d keep him and try moody in the starting lineup for the rest of the year.

I get that to some degree. On the other hand, that large expiring contract has real value in the league. Warriors could really help themselves here.

What's more important? Helping your team or a guy who helped you win 4 championships? I get either answer, but for me, what's best for the team is actually more important, especially if I'm the GM/Owner.
DB23
Junior

Post#6 » by DB23 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:18 am

DonaldSanders wrote:

I mean many of us have seen this as the obvious move since last year, the issue is Steve plays him a ton of minutes no matter what. You either need to trade Klay or fire Steve, or both.

I can see why last season they stuck with it. Think our starting five last year had the best net rating in the league.

No excuse at this point though.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:19 am

What? Why? He and Steph combined for 70 points tonight. :rocking:
DB23
Junior

Post#8 » by DB23 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:21 am

Romulus wrote:

I get that to some degree. On the other hand, that large expiring contract has real value in the league. Warriors could really help themselves here.

What's more important? Helping your team or a guy who helped you win 4 championships? I get either answer, but for me, what's best for the team is actually more important, especially if I'm the GM/Owner.

For marginal spare parts I don’t think it’s worth it. Obvs depends on what you could get though. Would
rather package Paul and looney if something interesting was on the table.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,105

Post#9 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:46 am

DB23 wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

I can see why last season they stuck with it. Think our starting five last year had the best net rating in the league.

No excuse at this point though.

They did, but towards the tail end of their minutes (right before Wiggins left the team), the overall rtg was dropping fast, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Coincided almost directly with Wiggins' increase in being the POA defender and Klay being offball. Team has continued to bleed since then, and when guys like Kuminga or Moody are plugged in instead, the defense magically recovers

No one is winning in this scenario except the teams the Warriors are playing against. Kerr looks bad for continuing to push Klay despite his effects on the team. Klay obviously looks bad. Guys who depended on the defensive system like Wiggins and Looney look bad. Curry looks worse (sometimes). Dray's impact is questioned, laughably most times, because of it. The team is below .500 almost 50 games into the year and not even in the play-in currently
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#10 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:48 am

He doesn't need to be traded, but he does need a better role to accommodate this current version of klay.

Just because he's paid like a top 10 player doesnt mean he should get the minutes and responsibilities of one. The money is already sunk.

That's why any trade to bring in a 2nd option is pointless if klay is played like the 2nd and sometimes first option by Kerr.
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by superunknown » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:50 am

they should have already traded his ass.
he (and kerr) are killing this team.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#12 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:54 am

And to answer the question, yeah of course, but they wont. Its also time to scale back his minutes, but they wont

Been saying since last year, how Kerr handles Klay will be the biggest determining factor on how the team's future looks. But even when I said that last year, I never thought it could be this bad. This is Wile E Coyote level **** here
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#13 » by Chupchup » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:56 am

Depends.. what are you going to get that will help the team win AND not add long term money.

His minutes and starting is a separate discussion. If he is not effective then obviously lower the minutes.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#14 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 4, 2024 6:06 am

Chupchup wrote:Depends.. what are you going to get that will help the team win AND not add long term money.

His minutes and starting is a separate discussion. If he is not effective then obviously lower the minutes.

If they did shop him, theyd almost certainly want long-term money coming back.. if he expires, we lose the salary slot. We will likely need to pare down or lose one of the two big expiring salary slots (Klay/CP3) in order to get under the 2nd apron, but CP3's contract allows the flexibility to be an offseason expiring if Klay walks. Which is why if they are locking into Klay staying, its a smarter move than not to trade CP3.

Tons of potential options though. Its why CP3's contract situation is so important, it allows for flexibility in any direction
superunknown
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by superunknown » Sun Feb 4, 2024 6:07 am

Chupchup wrote:Depends.. what are you going to get that will help the team win AND not add long term money.

you don't have necessarily get anything worthy in return, just get rid of him (or leave him home until expire in the summer) would improve the team. it's not entirely his fault, in the end there's a coach that decides to start him and play him big minutes every time in spite of the evidence.
it's addition by subtraction at this point.
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Romulus » Sun Feb 4, 2024 6:10 am

Well, part of the problem is this coach refuses to alter his role. He's never once come off the bench in his life. He doesn't always close games but he still often does. And the coach also never talks to him directly about his poor shot selection. As for defense, yes, obviously, the injuries have hurt Klay's ability to guard anyone, but you also see a guy out there not even trying, being totally unaware of his man.

Going forward, if Klay stays, Kerr has to change Klay's role. Start him if you must, but play him fewer minutes and rarely at the close of games. Anything less, and this team has no chance going forward.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#17 » by Chupchup » Sun Feb 4, 2024 6:46 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

If they did shop him, theyd almost certainly want long-term money coming back.. if he expires, we lose the salary slot. We will likely need to pare down or lose one of the two big expiring salary slots (Klay/CP3) in order to get under the 2nd apron, but CP3's contract allows the flexibility to be an offseason expiring if Klay walks. Which is why if they are locking into Klay staying, its a smarter move than not to trade CP3.

Tons of potential options though. Its why CP3's contract situation is so important, it allows for flexibility in any direction

You could always resign him to a lower cost contract to keep salary slot. Getting back long term money only works if the player or players make the team better. The Warriors don't want to get into that 2nd tier lux tax next year.

The real issue is if he's not effective to lower his minutes and/or not shoot so many shots.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,932

Post#18 » by Hoopstar23 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:33 am

get rid of him, hes near retirement level right now... hes playing like a broken down Wally Szerbiak on the Cavs bad!
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#19 » by tarantism » Sun Feb 4, 2024 8:05 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

IIRC the reporting around this has said they don't want to take long term money back and prefer to let Klay and CP3 expire to get under the apron. While that makes sense financially, hard to see how its the best course to improving the team both this season and long term.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#20 » by killmongrel » Sun Feb 4, 2024 8:22 am

Klay+Moody+Seconds = Bojan+Harris

then

CP3+Saric+Seconds = Isaac+Ingles+Goga

Steph/Podz/CoJo
Wiggins/GP2/Harris
Bojan/Ingles
Kuminga/Isaac/Santos
Draymond/Goga/Looney/TJD

In the off season:

CoJo and Joe Harris come off the books.

GP2 is an expiring.

Loony is only guaranteed 3m.

Bojan is an expiring but I'd actually like to keep him longer.

Ingles 11m is a team option.

Isaac is an expiring.

Try to re-sign Goga.

After these trades, we still have our other assets like 1sts and moveable salaries to make trades.

Return to Golden State Warriors