ImageImageImageImageImage

Is It Time to Trade Klay?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Yes or No. Should the Warriors trade Klay?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 44

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,383

Re: Is It Time to Trade Klay? 

Post#141 » by Onus » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:17 pm

TB wrote:Klay is quoted in an article this morning being pretty open to sticking with the Warriors in a more limited role as he ages, the way Ray and Reggie did. Now, obviously he still thinks he's got some high level play left before being a backup, but I dont think Klay is as delusional on the topic of role/contract as fans and media have seemed to make up in their heads.

Kerr already has him down to mid 20 minutes when he's not shooting well. Guessing on a good shooting game he will be at 30 or so. Thats a step in the right direction. When CP3 is back I would not be shocked if Kerr experiments with our closing lineup starting (podz replacing Klay).

It was like 2 weeks ago that his team put out that Klay believes he's still a big time big money wing. Even when he's shooting well he's still dragging down the team. When he comes off the bench so he can't play 30 mpg then I'll believe it. But as long as he continues to start it's much easier for him to play 30 and actually harder for others to play 30 without getting a rest down the stretch.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#142 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:38 pm

Hard pass even in a limited role. If you iso-watch him on offense he's lost so much athletic ability he can't separate from anyone. Defenders are stuck to him like glue.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,161

Post#143 » by TB » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:56 pm

Its frustrating to see Moody not get minutes right now, but I'm glad we didn't trade him. If Klay gets an offer in the offseason over what we are willing to pay, Moody slots easily into that role (or the bench version of that role).
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#144 » by jozef » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 pm

He still can provide an elite performance but he needs to play with classic position prototypes. No ad lib roles, no cover making players. Simply he needs to play at his SG position with Dray at PF for playmaking and TJD at C for quick rolls and above the rim game.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#145 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:27 pm

TB wrote:Its frustrating to see Moody not get minutes right now, but I'm glad we didn't trade him. If Klay gets an offer in the offseason over what we are willing to pay, Moody slots easily into that role (or the bench version of that role).

I mean...at this point are we sure it's not Lester Quinones? Ugh I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I am 0% surprised Klay gets minutes over Moody, but for Moody to be out of the rotation and see his minutes go to Lester Quinones is just mind boggling. Truly incomprehensible state of affairs.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#146 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 pm

I think Lester is the primary ball handler behind Steph and Podz and Moody is the offball guy behind Klay and GP. Should just be Moody and GP.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#147 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I think Lester is the primary ball handler behind Steph and Podz and Moody is the offball guy behind Klay and GP. Should just be Moody and GP.

I mean that might be how Kerr sleeps at night but it's ridiculous. This team needs wins on the margins and playing Lester over Moody is going to be a big fat L.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 113

Post#148 » by vvoland » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:I think Lester is the primary ball handler behind Steph and Podz and Moody is the offball guy behind Klay and GP. Should just be Moody and GP.

I mean that might be how Kerr sleeps at night but it's ridiculous. This team needs wins on the margins and playing Lester over Moody is going to be a big fat L.

yes, kind of like playing lamb and jerome over jk and moody last year. Everyone knew those two-way guys had no chance to hang in playoff rotation but that didn't matter to steve-o
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,295

Post#149 » by Impuniti » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12 pm

jozef wrote:He still can provide an elite performance but he needs to play with classic position prototypes. No ad lib roles, no cover making players. Simply he needs to play at his SG position with Dray at PF for playmaking and TJD at C for quick rolls and above the rim game.

At the rate Klay can provide, that's relatively normal and something most guys can do as well.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#150 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 pm

We are not getting anything in trade for Klay. We only get the use of Klay’s salary for salary matching. The useful player coming to us must be paid for with draft picks and Klay is just for salary matching.

Klay must take a pay cut to resign with us.

But I want Klay back. I don’t agree with you all that Klay is useless. Moody, Podz, Payton and Santos can not replace Klay’s upside but they don’t have Klay’s downside. I would rather have the option of plaing Klay for his upside than not have the option of playing Klay.

Can Klay handle the demotion? Will Kerr play Klay when he should not play Klay. Kerr closed with Podz when he could have closed with Klay vs the Suns. I am not that worried about Klay’s ego or Kerr’s loyalty. I expect both guys to be proffesionals.

If that guy you guys think Moody is actually existed then Klay should not get minutes but the imaginary version of Moody does not exist and may never exist.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#151 » by jozef » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:28 am

Impuniti wrote:
jozef wrote:He still can provide an elite performance but he needs to play with classic position prototypes. No ad lib roles, no cover making players. Simply he needs to play at his SG position with Dray at PF for playmaking and TJD at C for quick rolls and above the rim game.

At the rate Klay can provide, that's relatively normal and something most guys can do as well.

These catch-and-shoot jumpers on offball screen movement are inefficient for regular guys. Steph and Klay can make them and the only other guy could be Moses Moody. (Podziemski, Wiggins, Payton, Kuminga can only dream about it yet.) These jumpers combined with cuts and rolls are the biggest weapon in the basketball.
Steph can make them independently of his teammates. Klay at this time of his career needs proper fits around him. If you pair him with slow Saric and Looney, still a bit raw Kuminga, or play him in small lineup then he will get off the rhythm and the execution will be shaky.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Post#152 » by Jerry Maine » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:22 pm

Klay's already talking about taking a team friendly deal to stay a Dub in a lesser role.

I'm down. Ride him when he's hot, plenty of other options when he's not. Will be interesting to see what they offer him
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#153 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:16 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:We are not getting anything in trade for Klay. We only get the use of Klay’s salary for salary matching. The useful player coming to us must be paid for with draft picks and Klay is just for salary matching.

But I want Klay back. I don’t agree with you all that Klay is useless. Moody, Podz, Payton and Santos can not replace Klay’s upside but they don’t have Klay’s downside. I would rather have the option of plaing Klay for his upside than not have the option of playing Klay.

Can Klay handle the demotion? Will Kerr play Klay when he should not play Klay. Kerr closed with Podz when he could have closed with Klay vs the Suns. I am not that worried about Klay’s ego or Kerr’s loyalty. I expect both guys to be proffesionals.

If that guy you guys think Moody is actually existed then Klay should not get minutes but the imaginary version of Moody does not exist and may never exist.

This team is quite literally much much better without Klay over a 3 year sample. This isn't based on opinions but a long stretch of basketball. Sure if Klay plays 15MPG and we ride it out on when he's hot if he plays better, than yeah he'd be a great substitute for this team. For the role he should have had since 2022 season, it will take Kerr until 2026 to finally give it to him.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#154 » by HiRez » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 pm

They have an amazing opportunity to keep (mostly) everyone happy, it just comes down to money and playing time. Klay, the Warriors, Kerr, Steph, Draymond, the other Dubs teammates, and most fans all probably want him to stay. If he can deal with a ~$20M/yr contract and playing 20-25 minutes, everyone can get what they want. Hoping they can work something out.

Unfortunately the biggest loser is once again probably Moses Moody, really not fair to him. However if CP3 and/or GP2 get moved or are unavailable, maybe reduced Klay minutes opens up enough for Moses, except now it seems that Quiñones has inexplicably jumped over him as well.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#155 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:42 pm

HiRez wrote:They have an amazing opportunity to keep (mostly) everyone happy, it just comes down to money and playing time. Klay, the Warriors, Kerr, Steph, Draymond, the other Dubs teammates, and most fans all probably want him to stay. If he can deal with a ~$20M/yr contract and playing 20-25 minutes, everyone can get what they want. Hoping they can work something out.

Unfortunately the biggest loser is once again probably Moses Moody, really not fair to him. However if CP3 and/or GP2 get moved or are unavailable, maybe reduced Klay minutes opens up enough for Moses, except now it seems that Quiñones has inexplicably jumped over him as well.

Who is "everyone"? Klay doesn't deserve 20 million nor does he deserve anywhere near 25MPG. It's unbelivably obnoxious and annoying how fans, coaches and the FO are willing to bend over just to give Klay things he's not earning. There's 6-7 players better than him this season, outside of his name and history, there's nothing there that's giving him the time to play as much as he is.

This team has 25-30% better win record without Klay in the last 3 years.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,694

Post#156 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:06 pm

Impuniti wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:We are not getting anything in trade for Klay. We only get the use of Klay’s salary for salary matching. The useful player coming to us must be paid for with draft picks and Klay is just for salary matching.

This team is quite literally much much better without Klay over a 3 year sample. This isn't based on opinions but a long stretch of basketball. Sure if Klay plays 15MPG and we ride it out on when he's hot if he plays better, than yeah he'd be a great substitute for this team. For the role he should have had since 2022 season, it will take Kerr until 2026 to finally give it to him.

If you think Klay is a negative you let Klay walk. When no other team wants Klay he is forced into retiremend. That is how 2/3rds. Of players end their career.

If Qunones, Payton, Podz, Santos, Moody,and even Robinon are better than Klay then goodbye Klay nice to know you.

Other teans shoukd know better than we at this realgm board whether Klay is washed up to the point that he is not an NBA player.
You think Klay is worse than I think Klay is. Fine.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,099

Post#157 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:19 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:Klay's already talking about taking a team friendly deal to stay a Dub in a lesser role.

I'm down. Ride him when he's hot, plenty of other options when he's not. Will be interesting to see what they offer him

The money has hardly been the issue.. its his usage by Kerr. Money wise, as long as we stay under 2nd apron, not really concerned where Lacob spends his money. Klay's contract likely wont affect anything in terms of exceptions

But if he signs for the minimum and Kerr still gives him 25-30mpg going forward, then we're still in the same boat
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#158 » by HiRez » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:21 pm

Impuniti wrote:
HiRez wrote:They have an amazing opportunity to keep (mostly) everyone happy, it just comes down to money and playing time. Klay, the Warriors, Kerr, Steph, Draymond, the other Dubs teammates, and most fans all probably want him to stay. If he can deal with a ~$20M/yr contract and playing 20-25 minutes, everyone can get what they want. Hoping they can work something out.

Who is "everyone"? Klay doesn't deserve 20 million nor does he deserve anywhere near 25MPG. It's unbelivably obnoxious and annoying how fans, coaches and the FO are willing to bend over just to give Klay things he's not earning. There's 6-7 players better than him this season, outside of his name and history, there's nothing there that's giving him the time to play as much as he is.

That's why I said mostly everyone. From a brutal analytics standpoint, yes, it makes sense to jettison him completely. But that's not the reality at this time and place and I don't see it happening. So compromises can be made on both sides where yes, Klay gets overpaid, but also they get to keep the core together (important to Steph, Draymond, Kerr, probably Loon). If Klay is only playing 20-ish minutes, I feel a lot better about him being on the team. Whether he and Kerr can arrive at a reasonable number of minutes as acceptable is unknown. Kerr has recently been cutting Klay from some closing lineups so there might be a thawing of Kerr's inflexibility on the matter happening, just slowly.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#159 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Impuniti wrote:

If you think Klay is a negative you let Klay walk. When no other team wants Klay he is forced into retiremend. That is how 2/3rds. Of players end their career.

If Qunones, Payton, Podz, Santos, Moody,and even Robinon are better than Klay then goodbye Klay nice to know you.

Other teans shoukd know better than we at this realgm board whether Klay is washed up to the point that he is not an NBA player.
You think Klay is worse than I think Klay is. Fine.

Forget about what someone from their home sitting on their chair like me or 29 other GMs in non-GSW teams think. Reality, ie. fact over a 3 season sample shows the team is more dominant with him than without him in the type of role he plays. The issue has always been this obnoxious combination of babying Klay's monolithic-sized ego and Kerr's pathetic man management of putting a player's ego above actually winning. I don't know if this team is good enough to win but they should be much better than what they are now (10th in the West). Kerr has shown one of the worst coaching performances from anyone in years this season.

Klay can work as a 15MPG player who plays specifically vs other bench units. He would be exactly what the team needs. I also find it super amusing that me stating what I said you turn defensive by picking the 15th best player on the roster as a comparison. Q is averaging what, 6 minutes on the vet minimum as the 5th most important player offensively every time he's on the court? Klay is averaging the second highest minutes in the team on 42 million. Time, role, how the coach makes lineups. Kerr backwards atrocious-styled coaching where he allows the team to line up and cater to a mediocre offensive weapon like Klay.

Klay under the right circumstances is perfect. In the current season and previous season, a disaster. Klay could go and play 15MPG elsewhere and be great as he could be here. Not having everyone kiss his ass in embarrassing fashion. He had a very good game last night and you'd think it was some historic performance for example, the performative aspect of it is embarrassing. :lol:
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#160 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:08 pm

HiRez wrote:
Impuniti wrote:

That's why I said mostly everyone. From a brutal analytics standpoint, yes, it makes sense to jettison him completely. But that's not the reality at this time and place and I don't see it happening. So compromises can be made on both sides where yes, Klay gets overpaid, but also they get to keep the core together (important to Steph, Draymond, Kerr, probably Loon). If Klay is only playing 20-ish minutes, I feel a lot better about him being on the team. Whether he and Kerr can arrive at a reasonable number of minutes as acceptable is unknown. Kerr has recently been cutting Klay from some closing lineups so there might be a thawing of Kerr's inflexibility on the matter happening, just slowly.

I have completely lost interest in catering to Klay's massive ego. He doesn't deserve this embarrassing level of ass kissing, babying, coddling and I'm tired of seeing it. At least you can understand if a club was doing it for Steph or Kobe (I wouldn't agree with it then either), but for Klay it's just comical.

Return to Golden State Warriors