ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#261 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 am

I dont think shooting is as big a concern as people are making it out to be.

Since the AS break (when we were kinda healthy), we had essentially 6 players shooting near 40%.

Klay 41% 9 3pa
Podz 38.5 at 2.9 3pa
Cp3 38.5 at3.5 3pa
Wiggins 38.4 at 4.3 3pa
Moody 38.3 at 3 3pa
Steph 37.9 at 11.5 3pa

I think the problem has always been the over reliance on small ball. 3 guards that shoot 40%, but cant defend nor rebound.

kerr was really poor at finding fits and team struggled with consistency because it was a game of musical chairs with the rotation. Chemistry and roles were dysfunctional. I think the path forward for this team has to be with defense for any chance to retool around steph and dray.

What we really need is a stretch big or a sg that can handle and defend.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#262 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 am

watch1958 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Moving Saric early in the season would have been good to explore. Shouldn’t love one year guys unless they are putting you over the top.

Might have fetched a 2nd, but the value in moving him would have been getting TJD more time, earlier
He also might have been a good addition to a package involving better players. Always good to give the other GM a talking point.

Could be, but its just a cherry on top. Burks/GR3 got us a couple 2nds, most vet min contracts tend to only land protected 2nds

Plus there's the perception of dealing a guy who, at the time, we thought was doing the Warriors a favor by signing that vet min contract as he rehabbed his leg. Early in the season, looked like we had a steal. Then CP3 went down and he never recovered.. but if they dealt/cut him, it would tell other vets how the Warriors viewed those guys

Not that it matters now. Ring chasers arent coming here.. guys who are interested in rehabbing their value might. But the ones who play good team ball will probably want to do that on better teams. More likely, we get the dumb ones who will try and parlay PPG into a contract
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,013

Post#263 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:47 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Fatalism and being realistic in sports intersect a lot in analytics :dontknow:

I would max out at CP3/JK/1 1st. If thats not enough, then the future cost is too high for something that's unlikely to vault the team into contention
The penalties for teams that step past the second apron can be severe. Teams will not be able to use their taxpayer midlevel salary exception. Starting with the first day after the end of the 2023-24 season, teams cannot aggregate player salaries together in a trade, will not be able to send out its own player in a sign-and-trade to acquire another team’s player and cannot send cash in a deal.
Turner's been the guy I've called a paper tiger for years - he's been a fan favorite for a long time because he blocks shots. Thing is, he does it on one of the worst defensive teams, because he chases them at the expense of team rebounding. Example - NetRtg, flawed stat that it is at an individual level, heavily favors centers. Looney was a +21 in it, TJD was a +24, Saric was a +4. Myles Turner in the past 5 years (starting this year and going backwards): +5, +7, +6, +4, +3

One of the things I've really highlighted over the years is how useless actual blocks are. Its why I hate when someone says "stocks", as if steals and blocks are equal. They arent, as typically blocks go back to the offensive team between 40-50% of the time per season (some stats laughably do not count when the ball goes out of bounds and returned to the offense, which... I can't explain). It also discounts players who are excellent positional defenders, but not ones who challenge shots with the threat of a block. Looney, for example, was one of the best rim defenders in '22. His block rate wasn't high so people here wanted to bench him, that season

But center is typically the worst place to invest significant assets unless you are getting someone elite, because most teams can thrive with guys who are just basic rim runners or one-way defenders. I'd much rather pursue a Goga at the MLE level than Turner for whatever he costs, instead of forcing the idea of needing a C who can do 2 rare things. And then whatever assets were earmarked for Turner can be used to find shooting at a more traditional position where the cost would be lower, as the skillset would be more common

I'm pretty sure that another punitive measure of the new CBA that takes affect this offseason is that the Warriors will not be able to aggregate contracts together like you are suggesting unless they can somehow get under the second apron.

The penalties for teams that step past the second apron can be severe. Teams will not be able to use their taxpayer midlevel salary exception. Starting with the first day after the end of the 2023-24 season, teams cannot aggregate player salaries together in a trade, will not be able to send out its own player in a sign-and-trade to acquire another team’s player and cannot send cash in a deal.

I cant keep up with the overkill of those rules, but wouldnt Klay's contract expiring get us well under the 2nd apron? Or does it mean that since we were in the 2nd apron this year, we cant do those things next year?

Still cant get over how screwed up the whole 2nd apron thing is, and how quickly it was implemented. Guess this is the leagues revenge for KD coming over here

Hmmm, If they just let Klay expire it looks like it would get them under the second apron but if they bring him back at $15m or more then they would be over.

They could also waive Loon and save a few million.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to Golden State Warriors