ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#161 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:37 pm

billinder33 wrote:Serious question... what is the going rate in today's NBA for 'random hot shooting off the bench, with no defense, rebounding, or long-term upside'?

$5M/yr? $10M/yr?

If he’s young, always a chance a desperate team thinks they can fix him. That used to be us. And that could be somewhere in the range of 2x MLE, even if any theoretical upside is unlikely

If he’s old (30+), I’d wager that’s MLE and below. Using the criteria here and only here
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#162 » by killmongrel » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:13 pm

Serious question: If there was a way to get PG and Caruso on the team but it meant getting rid of all your young players and assets like 1sts, would you do it. But you do keep Wiggins in this scenario.

Steph/Caruso/Wiggins/PG/Draymond

Bench: Klay, Quinones, Santos, Garuba, Robinson, Spencer.

Lulz. That bench is brutal. They would be over the second apron in this scenario so no MLE, etc. They'd have to fill out the roster with vet minimums.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#163 » by TB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:30 pm

killmongrel wrote:Serious question: If there was a way to get PG and Caruso on the team but it meant getting rid of all your young players and assets like 1sts, would you do it. But you do keep Wiggins in this scenario.

Lulz. That bench is brutal. They would be over the second apron in this scenario so no MLE, etc. They'd have to fill out the roster with vet minimums.

Should be mentioned he has a player option for next year, so he's probably going to opt out to re-sign a big deal with the Clips. There's virtually no path that leads to PG being traded unless next trade deadline the Clippers are a mess and want to rebuild. But I doubt that since they will probably be a top vet min destination due to location and minutes potential.

But hypothetically, would we trade:

Kuminga, Podz, Moody, Trayce and 1sts for PG and Caruso? I think the answer has to be an emphatic "of course". We would get (at this moment in time) the two best players in the deal by far.

Realistically, its Caruso that should be a target with part of CP3 contract (or in a separate deal just with Loon contract) with picks attached.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#164 » by killmongrel » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:41 pm

TB wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Serious question: If there was a way to get PG and Caruso on the team but it meant getting rid of all your young players and assets like 1sts, would you do it. But you do keep Wiggins in this scenario.

Should be mentioned he has a player option for next year, so he's probably going to opt out to re-sign a big deal with the Clips. There's virtually no path that leads to PG being traded unless next trade deadline the Clippers are a mess and want to rebuild. But I doubt that since they will probably be a top vet min destination due to location and minutes potential.

Kuminga, Podz, Moody, Trayce and 1sts for PG and Caruso? I think the answer has to be an emphatic "of course". We would get (at this moment in time) the two best players in the deal by far.

Realistically, its Caruso that should be a target with part of CP3 contract (or in a separate deal just with Loon contract) with picks attached.

Yeah, the reason I'm thinking of PG is because of that PO. Basically, he and LBJ are the most realistic big fish that the Warriors can go after this off season. Like you said, if the Clippers are a mess, will there be a change? For instance, if the Clippers underwhelm in these playoffs, and PG himself has just had enough and wants out. And the Clippers don't hate the idea either. Well, PG goes to the FO and asks to be traded to the Warriors. Maybe work out some multi team deal. And that's how the Warriors get a big fish without a king's ransom.

Caruso like you said would be a matter of just getting the salary and seeing what and how many picks do the job.

The lineup definitely is sweet though.

Just a matter of the vet minimums. With Looney and TJD gone, gotta figure out getting a center or two on the cheap. OPJ will always be on my list of vets going foward. But we're definitely scraping the barrel.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#165 » by xdrta+ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:50 pm

TB wrote:

If that trade puts you over the 2nd apron, you can't do it. Starting with the first day after the end of the 2023-24 season, teams over the 2nd apron can't aggregate player salaries together in a trade.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#166 » by killmongrel » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:51 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
TB wrote:

If that trade puts you over the 2nd apron, you can't do it. Starting with the first day after the end of the 2023-24 season, teams can't aggregate player salaries together in a trade.

This is a question I've been meaning to ask.

How do the Warriors get PG or LBJ in any scenario if they can't aggregate salaries? Or they can't? If that's the case, there goes that idea.
TB
General Manager

Post#167 » by TB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:04 pm

They can aggregate if they stay under the 192m 2nd apron. Likely means no Klay unless he wants to ring chase as a vet min lol
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#168 » by killmongrel » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 pm

TB wrote:They can aggregate if they stay under the 192m 2nd apron. Likely means no Klay unless he wants to ring chase as a vet min lol

I see. So if they stay under 192m, that actually opens up the mle as well right?
TB
General Manager

Post#169 » by TB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:14 pm

killmongrel wrote:
TB wrote:They can aggregate if they stay under the 192m 2nd apron. Likely means no Klay unless he wants to ring chase as a vet min lol

I see. So if they stay under 192m, that actually opens up the mle as well right?

oops its actually 190m.

Staying under that opens up the tax payer MLE which is around 5.2m

Staying under the 178m 1st apron gets the non tax MLE which is like 12.9m

Staying under the 172m tax level gets that 12.9m MLE and the BA 4.7m
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#170 » by killmongrel » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:20 pm

TB wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

oops its actually 190m.

Nice. Well, Klay can always take the MLE if he insists. :lol:

But maybe we give that to somebody like Goga.

Can they stay under the 1st apron or is it cutting it too close?
TB
General Manager

Post#171 » by TB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:25 pm

killmongrel wrote:
TB wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

oops its actually 190m.

Nice. Well, Klay can always take the MLE if he insists. :lol:

But maybe we give that to somebody like Goga.

Can they stay under the 1st apron or is it cutting it too close?

And I actually think I'm also wrong about the 178 and 172 ones in terms of which get the MLE and BA.... :lol:

its all confusing, but I think its just the under 178 that gets MLE and BA... either way, sounds like we are trying to stay under the tax level of 172 which would give us those options.

And ya, can definitely get there if Klay takes a pay cut and we dont use CP3 contract for anything. Could still sign someone like Goga with MLE and stay under tax.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#172 » by xdrta+ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:53 pm

killmongrel wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
TB wrote:

If that trade puts you over the 2nd apron, you can't do it. Starting with the first day after the end of the 2023-24 season, teams can't aggregate player salaries together in a trade.

This is a question I've been meaning to ask.

How do the Warriors get PG or LBJ in any scenario if they can't aggregate salaries? Or they can't? If that's the case, there goes that idea.

Well, they could've this year, before the trade deadline, but not any more if they have to aggregate salaries, which it sounds like they would. Second Apron restrictions are serious. Besides salary aggregation, restrictions that kick in starting July 1, 2024, include that teams can't send out a sign&trade, or send cash in a deal. If they do get below the 2nd Apron but do any of those things then they are hard-capped at the 2nd.

If the team is above the 2nd Apron on the last day of 24-25 regular season, their 1st round pick 7 years out can't be traded. But the aggregation restriction may be the most annoying.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#173 » by killmongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:47 pm

Lulz.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#174 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:31 pm

Thinking back, I think keeping klay over poole might have been the mistake.

With poole, we could still play the same way with players in their same roles to weather a steph absence.

Now, we are playing people in bad spots and changing the offense to accommodate the strengths of guys like jk, cp3, etc..
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#175 » by killmongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:43 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Thinking back, I think keeping klay over poole might have been the mistake.

With poole, we could still play the same way with players in their same roles to weather a steph absence.

Now, we are playing people in bad spots and changing the offense to accommodate the strengths of guys like jk, cp3, etc..

I am good with moving on from Poole. The dude sucks ass.

I want to move on from Klay as well if he and Kerr can't stick to his role and minutes on the team. But if they can, then the only thing that cannot happen is that Klay is the reason Lacob and crew do not make some moves they should in the summer for financial reasons.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 261

Post#176 » by ShayDee » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:47 pm

They are probably going to go into the offseason thinking Klay is better than all the other options out there and forced to give him 20mil and they would be super wrong about that

And I'm sure Kerr and Steph will try and force the FO to bring Klay back
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#177 » by killmongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:50 pm

ShayDee wrote:They are probably going to go into the offseason thinking Klay is better than all the other options out there and forced to give him 20mil and they would be super wrong about that

And I'm sure Kerr and Steph will try and force the FO to bring Klay back

That's fine. Pay him what they want. But like I said, it cannot be the reason other moves aren't made. If the biggest signing of the off season is re-signing Klay and Goga Bitadze on the MLE, the Warriors should be prepared for nightly boos from the fans after games. :lol:
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#178 » by killmongrel » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm

There has to be a big change in the summer. With the Clippers looking like they're on a downward trajectory, still hoping for a potential PG trade this summer.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#179 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:16 pm

killmongrel wrote:There has to be a big change in the summer. With the Clippers looking like they're on a downward trajectory, still hoping for a potential PG trade this summer.

I'd be going for the other Clipper tbh
TB
General Manager

Post#180 » by TB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:18 pm

CP3 contract and every pick possible to get Lauri.

Steph / Podz
Wiggins / GP2
Kuminga / Klay
Lauri / Moody
Dray / Trayce

Return to Golden State Warriors