ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#101 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:03 pm

Not really worried about how much JK is paid or not.. the key is whether or not this team can get it together in the playoffs.

If they cannot, then he should be shopped, barring an improvement on the defensive side. Worst thing you could do is have a post-Steph era led with a #2 or #3, or just a bench scorer, running as a #1. Those types of teams stay in the late lotto and pick from the scraps the early lotto teams leave behind. We were down that road for a long time, and even then got lucky that in the Curry draft, 2 teams screwed up badly, total of 3 times, to make it happen. But there are 2x or 3x the amount of teams that have built correctly (early lotto pick being their #1 option) than teams that found their #1 other ways (DEN, MIL, PHX). Once the dynasty is entirely over, lean into being very bad for a year or two and hope you can pull a true #1 option out of the wreckage
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#102 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:06 pm

killmongrel wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
I don't think Kuminga's new deal would kick in until 2026/2027 correct? That means, they could avoid the luxury tax for 2 years which means they get out of the repeater tax, does it not? I think that's what they're aiming for. They don't have a problem possibly going into the luxury tax again in a few years.

25/26

Okay thanks. I heard Lacob talking about avoiding the repeater tax. So does that mean they eventually have to get rid of at least Looney, GP2, and Moody by then? I think that gets them out of it doesn't it? While still keeping Wiggins?

I dunno much about the cap, I'm not there yet. I still think this team has enough potential on the roster to make noise, if used correctly. I'll take a puncher's chance over no chance

And then after its all over, the only young player on the roster I see as being a lock to keep is Podz. TJD maybe, but thats more out of necessity. Moody maybe, only if Kerr is gone and he doesnt hate the team by then. JK is the toughest one, because he's arguably the best, but his type elevate bad teams enough to get out of the good lotto, but not enough to eventually contend. The lack of a credible jumper and lack of impact defensively/rebounding make it a tough road for him

If a true #1 drops in our laps somehow, or if JK or someone else authentically develops into one, then the plans will change. But those are both extremely unlikely scenarios
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#103 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:10 am

Read on Twitter

So basically that'll be the plan in the offseason.

Klay will get the extension when Wiggins and loon (probably gp2 and moody too) get moved.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#104 » by Chupchup » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:23 am

Depending on how the playoffs turn out but likely CP3 gets cut. Klay resigns to a much lower contract like 15 mil each year for 2 years. The Warriors get under the lux tax threshold.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 450

Post#105 » by superunknown » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:23 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

So basically that'll be the plan in the offseason.

Klay will get the extension when Wiggins and loon (probably gp2 and moody too) get moved.

kawakami's takaways are shite.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#106 » by gswhoops » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:03 pm

Whatever represents the path of least resistance is usually a solid guess with this FO, so:

-Cut CP3
-Re-sign Klay to a somewhat overmarket deal
-Keep Looney
-"explore" Wiggins trades but ultimately keep him
-hype up how good JK, Podz, TJD, Moody look in camp
-sign some basically washed up old guys for the vet min
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#107 » by killmongrel » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:34 pm

gswhoops wrote:Whatever represents the path of least resistance is usually a solid guess with this FO, so:

-Cut CP3
-Keep Looney

I do agree that this is basically it, but I do think they're gonna attempt to go for a big fish as well. If not, then their plan for this summer is basically vanilla.

They will get out of the luxury tax and look to use the mle.

I wrote this in another thread but here is the free agent list.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/?ref=trending-pages

After looking at it, here are the options I came up with considering their resources to get a free agent. It's not a great list.

Mason Plumlee, Jonas Valanciunas, Lonnie Walker, Gordon Hayward, Otto Porter Jr., Andre Drummond, Buddy Hield, Goga Bitadze, Doug McDermott, Nicolas Batum, Joe Harris.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#108 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:46 am

A question for the capologists around here: if we let CP3 go, and re-sign Klay for around 20/25 per year, would we be under the tax with just those two moves?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#109 » by whatisacenter » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:11 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:A question for the capologists around here: if we let CP3 go, and re-sign Klay for around 20/25 per year, would we be under the tax with just those two moves?

no
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#110 » by xdrta+ » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:34 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:A question for the capologists around here: if we let CP3 go, and re-sign Klay for around 20/25 per year, would we be under the tax with just those two moves?

The projected cap tax line for next season is $171M. As of now, the Warriors have 9 players with guaranteed salaries that total about $139M. This includes Looney's partial guarantee of $3M and picking up Santos's non-guarantee of $1.8M. The players are:
Steph
Wiggins
Green
GP2
Kuminga
Podz
Moody
TJD
Santos

If they re-sign or extend Klay for $20M, that's about $159M. If they pick up Looney's contract, that's another $5M, total about $164M. That would leave about $7M for the remaining 3 players. So, yes it is possible, but without any other moves it would be tight. Of course, if they let Looney go they'd have a little more room, another $5M, so about $12M for 4 players. But possible.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#111 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:39 pm

Would you guys give Klay the contract extension Conley just got? 2/21m

I don't even think I'd give him that :-?
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#112 » by TB » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:54 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Would you guys give Klay the contract extension Conley just got? 2/21m

Absolutely. I still think he is one of the best shooters in the league and I'd be shocked if he doesn't creep closer to 40% by the end of the year if he stays in his new bench role.

The difference with todays Klay is that he isn't good enough at non-shooting things be given the green light to shoot through a bad shooting game. If it aint going in, he's gotta take a seat. But 11m for an elite floor spacer / microwave scorer is fine with me.

That Conley deal may have been a huge benefit in setting a reasonable comp for what Klay should be looking at.

Barring trades we'd be at 157m with 12 players.

Steph / Quinones
Podz / GP2
Wiggins / Klay
Kuminga / Moody / Santos
Dray / Trayce / Loon

14m to sign 2 players using MLE to upgrade the backup PG spot and either another wing or center. And would still be under tax.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#113 » by Old_Blue » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:06 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Would you guys give Klay the contract extension Conley just got? 2/21m

I think the magic number for next season is approximately $15 million. If Klay accepted that much, then the team could actually use it's MLE next season. The tricky part is going to be the following 2025-2026 season. The new TV contract will significantly lift the luxury cap, but how much is uncertain since the League will be pressing for cap smoothing while the NBPA will likely oppose. Hence the uncertainty whether Klay could be paid $15 million for the 2025-2026 season, Kuminga could get the big raise he'll be due and the team could still slide under the luxury cap. And, slipping below the cap next season means little if the team cannot also do so the following season - since they would still be paying the repeater tax.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#114 » by xdrta+ » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Old_Blue wrote:

I think the magic number for next season is approximately $15 million. If Klay accepted that much, then the team could actually use it's MLE next season. The tricky part is going to be the following 2025-2026 season. The new TV contract will significantly lift the luxury cap, but how much is uncertain since the League will be pressing for cap smoothing while the NBPA will likely oppose. Hence the uncertainty whether Klay could be paid $15 million for the 2025-2026 season, Kuminga could get the big raise he'll be due and the team could still slide under the luxury cap. And, slipping below the cap next season is essentially worthless if the team cannot also do so the following season - since they would still be paying the repeater tax.

Cap smoothing is built into the new CBA, with a 10% maximum cap raise per year.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#115 » by Old_Blue » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:35 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:

I think the magic number for next season is approximately $15 million. If Klay accepted that much, then the team could actually use it's MLE next season. The tricky part is going to be the following 2025-2026 season. The new TV contract will significantly lift the luxury cap, but how much is uncertain since the League will be pressing for cap smoothing while the NBPA will likely oppose. Hence the uncertainty whether Klay could be paid $15 million for the 2025-2026 season, Kuminga could get the big raise he'll be due and the team could still slide under the luxury cap. And, slipping below the cap next season is essentially worthless if the team cannot also do so the following season - since they would still be paying the repeater tax.

Yeah. I thought I'd heard that. The union boofed it on that one.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#116 » by watch1958 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:

Yeah. I thought I'd heard that. The union boofed it on that one.
Maybe not. My recollection is that the total % the players get isn’t smoothed. So there would be an additional payment to the union to divide up.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#117 » by Impuniti » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:48 am

Let him walk. In an ideal world, that would be great. However we clearly see that Kerr can't coach him on merit, he believes he's a lot better than he is and even Steph/Dray at times tank the entire offense to "get Klay going". There's too much politicking and emotional coaching for the players and the coach to have any semblance of rationality. And that's not changing in the summer.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#118 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:44 am

Impuniti wrote:

Let him walk. In an ideal world, that would be great. However we clearly see that Kerr can't coach him on merit, he believes he's a lot better than he is and even Steph/Dray at times tank the entire offense to "get Klay going". There's too much politicking and emotional coaching for the players and the coach to have any semblance of rationality. And that's not changing in the summer.

Klay at 2/22 would be great. Kerr is the guy I don't trust with klays minutes. Klay of the bench is a start, but the minutes and closing is the issue.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,391

Post#119 » by svart » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:16 am

killmongrel wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Whatever represents the path of least resistance is usually a solid guess with this FO, so:

-Cut CP3
-Keep Looney

I do agree that this is basically it, but I do think they're gonna attempt to go for a big fish as well. If not, then their plan for this summer is basically vanilla.

They will get out of the luxury tax and look to use the mle.

I wrote this in another thread but here is the free agent list.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/?ref=trending-pages

After looking at it, here are the options I came up with considering their resources to get a free agent. It's not a great list.

Mason Plumlee, Jonas Valanciunas, Lonnie Walker, Gordon Hayward, Otto Porter Jr., Andre Drummond, Buddy Hield, Goga Bitadze, Doug McDermott, Nicolas Batum, Joe Harris.

i think otto porter just said this is his last season.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#120 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:36 pm

The problem is not Klay's contract, but Kerr being the coach. He would play Klay as a starter and give him big minutes anyway, he wouldn't adapt in this sense.

Moreover, I'm afraid Klay will get offers up to 25 mi/year in the off-season and, worse yet, we would be "forced" to match these offers due to "loyalty" and "continuity", and also to not walk on eggshells with Curry and Green on the team.

I absolutely foresee at least one team trying to make a splash and offering him 100/4 years, and the Warriors matching. Remember, it only takes one crazy GM to set the market: see the Gobert trade (actually the Paul George to Clippers trade before that!), which spiraled into multiple posterior trades with that same "let's give 3-5 1sts, plus multiple swaps for your borderline All-Star, 2nd/3rd best player" pattern.

But you could say, "well let Klay walk then". Well, then you risk alienating Curry and Green in the future. Yep, this sounds like a mafia gang, in the sense that if you don't cater to their demands, they will do whatever is good for their "brand".

Am I crazy for thinking like that? No, I'm simply following the logic of the NBA GMs and players of this current era.

I would closely keep an eye on what Buddy Hield gets in the off-season. I have a hunch Klay will get his next contract on that range.

Return to Golden State Warriors