ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#121 » by CalGTR » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:53 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:The problem is not Klay's contract, but Kerr being the coach. He would play Klay as a starter and give him big minutes anyway, he wouldn't adapt in this sense.

Moreover, I'm afraid Klay will get offers up to 25 mi/year in the off-season and, worse yet, we would be "forced" to match these offers due to "loyalty" and "continuity", and also to not walk on eggshells with Curry and Green on the team.

I absolutely foresee at least one team trying to make a splash and offering him 100/4 years, and the Warriors matching. Remember, it only takes one crazy GM to set the market: see the Gobert trade (actually the Paul George to Clippers trade before that!), which spiraled into multiple posterior trades with that same "let's give 3-5 1sts, plus multiple swaps for your borderline All-Star, 2nd/3rd best player" pattern.

But you could say, "well let Klay walk then". Well, then you risk alienating Curry and Green in the future. Yep, this sounds like a mafia gang, in the sense that if you don't cater to their demands, they will do whatever is good for their "brand".

Am I crazy for thinking like that? No, I'm simply following the logic of the NBA GMs and players of this current era.

I would closely keep an eye on what Buddy Hield gets in the off-season. I have a hunch Klay will get his next contract on that range.

Klay's already coming off the bench, and Kerr said that was the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future. So there's that.

Reading this thread, I guess we absolutely lucked into all these titles because the coach and FO are morons, apparently. And our star players are morons, too, because apparently they have a bunch of demands that need catering too. And here I thought Steph was among the most gracious, least selfish superstars the sports world has ever seen. But hey, I'm willing to learn from the galaxy brained around these parts.

I guess I'm a bit testy today. But some of you need to get a grip.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#122 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:27 am

CalGTR wrote:
Klay's already coming off the bench, and Kerr said that was the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future. So there's that.

Reading this thread, I guess we absolutely lucked into all these titles because the coach and FO are morons, apparently. And our star players are morons, too, because apparently they have a bunch of demands that need catering too. And here I thought Steph was among the most gracious, least selfish superstars the sports world has ever seen. But hey, I'm willing to learn from the galaxy brained around these parts.

I guess I'm a bit testy today. But some of you need to get a grip.

Klay's already coming off the bench.. after a 2.5 year stint where his defense fell off a cliff, half because of him, half because of the position he was put in. But glad that it only took half a season for Kerr to see what was clear a couple weeks into the season? Also the starting thing is just nominal. What matters is closing, and we dont have any indicators on that just yet. Which is also crazy considering we're 50 games in and the trade deadline just passed

Also, the mentality that things are static... every bit as problematic as the people you're critiquing. Kerr was a good coach for a team that was winning titles with that hands-off style. Take advantage of the massive BBIQ of Curry and Dray, mistakes work themselves out, etc. Thats not what this team is anymore. It needed someone to take control as Dray went mental and Curry was the only stabilizing force left, and he's not that vocal leader either. And Kerr failed there.. just like he's hindered development of young players, as well as Myers picking poor fits that have not vibed with what Kerr wanted. Kerr, like every other coach, is good at some things and not at others. When the team was in its peak, it was in Kerr's wheelhouse. Now that they aren't, Kerr's shortcomings are more prominent. Saying that and being frustrated with that doesnt mean Kerr wasn't good at what he did before, just like Kerr being good at what he did before is no indication of him being good at this next stage of the franchise. Whats the problem there?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#123 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:34 am

Wiretap: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274763/Bulls-Gave-Real-Consideration-To-Trade-Of-Alex-Caruso-To-Warriors

(not gonna pay for Marc Stein's substack tho)

Does that article mention what the Bulls were expecting back? Because the more I think about a Caruso deal, the more I dont understand why they'd do it if they still believed in GP2, which they clearly do as shown by his immediate usage upon healing. Kuminga likely entirely off the table, as was Podz, so who's left? Moody/TJD, or draft assets? Even if it was Moody/TJD, both, they'd need to have some salary added to make the deal work, like Looney.

I dunno.. seems very messy to me
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,274

Post#124 » by Onus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Wiretap: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274763/Bulls-Gave-Real-Consideration-To-Trade-Of-Alex-Caruso-To-Warriors

Does that article mention what the Bulls were expecting back? Because the more I think about a Caruso deal, the more I dont understand why they'd do it if they still believed in GP2, which they clearly do as shown by his immediate usage upon healing. Kuminga likely entirely off the table, as was Podz, so who's left? Moody/TJD, or draft assets? Even if it was Moody/TJD, both, they'd need to have some salary added to make the deal work, like Looney.

Apparently they wanted jk at least according to tk. So it didn’t really go far.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#125 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Wiretap: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274763/Bulls-Gave-Real-Consideration-To-Trade-Of-Alex-Caruso-To-Warriors

They were definitely thinking of using either GP2 or Looney's salaries to make this trade. Just don't know who. Probably GP2 since they make each other a luxury. Probably would have done the deal had the Bulls accept Moody and maybe a 1st. But Bulls probably wanted 2 1sts like the report suggested.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, giving away GP2, Moody, and a 1st would have basically been the Warriors trading away:

Second overall pick+14th overall pick+1st for Caruso. Oof. :lol:
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#126 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:31 am

Onus wrote:

Apparently they wanted jk at least according to tk. So it didn’t really go far.

I heard that but I was wondering if the article posed a more realistic solution. TBH I'm not as against the idea as I probably should be, in a vacuum, but we already had GP2 and JK provides something that no one on the team can.. doubt the Warriors ever offered it, so its hard to give "real consideration" to a deal that was never on the table
Onus
RealGM

Post#127 » by Onus » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:57 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Not going all in when Steph is Steph is criminal
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#128 » by floppymoose » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:56 am

Kerr is going to get over Klay. And if you have swapped Kerr out already for someone available, you will have buyers remorse.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 261

Post#129 » by ShayDee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:11 am

Read on Twitter

ShayDee wrote:JK should get something similar to Poole/McDaniels/Vassell contract for 4 years with some sort of incentives in the contract like rebounds/all defense team/all star. It's just the best for both worlds and it will be slightly less than 30 mil.

Kuminga archetype in the league is valuable even if some might not like him. He is a big wing(6'7/6'8) that can potentially defend and rebound. Many teams don't have that and yearn for such players. That's what separates him from Poole as if he doesn't score he can at least do other things to help win but he still needs to develop

Idk if he will accept anything less than 30mil though

If you can get him slightly under 30 a year you do it. If he hits RFA some team will give him above 30mil
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#130 » by watch1958 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:14 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Read on Twitter

ShayDee wrote:JK should get something similar to Poole/McDaniels/Vassell contract for 4 years with some sort of incentives in the contract like rebounds/all defense team/all star. It's just the best for both worlds and it will be slightly less than 30 mil.

Kuminga archetype in the league is valuable even if some might not like him. He is a big wing(6'7/6'8) that can potentially defend and rebound. Many teams don't have that and yearn for such players. That's what separates him from Poole as if he doesn't score he can at least do other things to help win but he still needs to develop

Idk if he will accept anything less than 30mil though

If you can get him slightly under 30 a year you do it. If he hits RFA some team will give him above 30mil
Those numbers make me think a Klay extension should be for one year only.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#131 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:11 pm

Lol the next few years are gonna be brutal
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,929

Post#132 » by whatisacenter » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Lol the next few years are gonna be brutal

more brutal than these last two including this season?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#133 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:30 pm

Onus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Agreed. That's why, even though I have my own issues with the idea of LBJ on the Warriors, at least Lacob looks like he's willing to do whatever it takes to give Steph a team to compete.

I think this summer could get interesting considering more than a few impact players could be available for trades. Hopefully some fans don't fall in love with some of the current young players on the team.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#134 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:00 am

whatisacenter wrote:

Easily.. at least now we have a puncher's chance with a true #1. But Lacob's quote about (seemingly) never rebuilding is concerning.. this regime never had to do the toughest thing, which is finding a legitimate superstar to build around. It came with the team 1st time. But if he's going to try and be like the Lakers and be a FA destination.. well thats what the Knicks thought. And they signed 2nd rate "star" after 2nd rate "star" and wound up with Amar'e, Melo, Julius Randle, and other non-needle movers

So yeah for me, much much worse. Teams rarely recover from the treadmill era. Look at the Knicks and Kings now, their fans are so excited for a team that *might* have a better chance than the current fading Warriors. The treadmill wrecked their chances at getting a true #1 so they are using Sabonis and Brunson respectively
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#135 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:01 am

killmongrel wrote:
Onus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Agreed. That's why, even though I have my own issues with the idea of LBJ on the Warriors, at least Lacob looks like he's willing to do whatever it takes to give Steph a team to compete.

I think this summer could get interesting considering more than a few impact players could be available for trades. Hopefully some fans don't fall in love with some of the current young players on the team.

With the way these quotes are shaping up, LeBron might be the best chance the team has.. not only for a title now, but what it would cost to get him in terms of young assets would also mean the team would be brutal once Steph/LeBron/Dray fizzled. And that would be the best way to start the post-Steph timeline
Onus
RealGM

Post#136 » by Onus » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:56 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Easily.. at least now we have a puncher's chance with a true #1. But Lacob's quote about (seemingly) never rebuilding is concerning.. this regime never had to do the toughest thing, which is finding a legitimate superstar to build around. It came with the team 1st time. But if he's going to try and be like the Lakers and be a FA destination.. well thats what the Knicks thought. And they signed 2nd rate "star" after 2nd rate "star" and wound up with Amar'e, Melo, Julius Randle, and other non-needle movers

So yeah for me, much much worse. Teams rarely recover from the treadmill era. Look at the Knicks and Kings now, their fans are so excited for a team that *might* have a better chance than the current fading Warriors. The treadmill wrecked their chances at getting a true #1 so they are using Sabonis and Brunson respectively

Never doing a full rebuild will kill us. I’m preparing for the dark ages once Steph retires.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#137 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:55 am

Here's something to consider when it comes to some of the big fishes that might be available this summer - LeBron and PG are both going to have player options. A team like the Sixers have a crapload of capspace. It's not only possible for the Warriors to make a big trade this summer, they might not have to use as many assets as they would under normal circumstances. I think it may be an interesting summer.
Onus
RealGM

Post#138 » by Onus » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 am

2 more years of Kerr … hopefully this means he tries to win
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#139 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:05 am

2 years…he only wants to coach if he has the Steph cheat code
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#140 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:15 am

Kerr with a 2 year extension almost guarantees klay gets one too.

Return to Golden State Warriors