ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,079

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#81 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:54 pm

Dom801e wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
It's Klay that should be the most "thrilled" isn't he? :lol:

also yes, this is a Cohan-level thing to announce. Even if it is the plan, why tell people? Warrior fans celebrating about Lacob saving some coin?

It seemed obvious to me that this would be the plan. But agree that there is no reason to announce it unless it is to prep fans for no Klay and to lesser extent no CP3.

If it was obvious that they were just going to coast, salary-wise, to end the dynasty.. did they share that with Curry and Dray?

It also sends a direct message to Klay about him being cheap or on another team next year, which probably doesnt sit well with him either.. its a bad plan to start, but just awful to announce
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#82 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:16 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Dom801e wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
also yes, this is a Cohan-level thing to announce. Even if it is the plan, why tell people? Warrior fans celebrating about Lacob saving some coin?

It seemed obvious to me that this would be the plan. But agree that there is no reason to announce it unless it is to prep fans for no Klay and to lesser extent no CP3.

If it was obvious that they were just going to coast, salary-wise, to end the dynasty.. did they share that with Curry and Dray?

It also sends a direct message to Klay about him being cheap or on another team next year, which probably doesnt sit well with him either.. its a bad plan to start, but just awful to announce

I remember xdrta talking about how the Warriors could actually get out of the luxury tax this summer a few weeks ago. And that's when I was convinced that it was going to be Lacob's main goal this summer as long as the organization could sell the idea that the team could still be competitive. So hearing him say it in an interview recently was amusing. Whether it was a good idea to air it out is another thing.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,154

Post#83 » by TB » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:03 pm

Staying under the tax is definitely a possibility... but it does mean we lose maxing out on the benefit of the CP3 deal. Sending this again, but with some tweaks if the goal is the 171m mark and not the 190m mark....

Lux tax - 171m
1st apron - 179m
2nd apron - 190m

With no trades, and before Klay/CP3 figured out, plus adding Q as a minimum....

11 players - 146m

Options to get to 171 without going over:

- Sign Klay
- trade CP3 for someone in the available range
- Use the MLE (13m)
- Use the Bi-Annual (5m)

Just gotta remember that we would then need to get to 14 players using vet minimums that are likely in the 2-3m range.

Example offseason if we dont make trades to stay under tax:

- Goga with part of MLE (lets say 10m but I really have no idea what his market will be)
- Dunn with part of MLE or Bi-Annual (5m)
- Lester on a minimum
- 2nd rounder (lets embrace small ball and go Lipsey so we dont have to sign another awful vet PG)
- Javonte Green vet min

Steph / Dunn / Lipsey
Wiggins / Podz / Lester
Kuminga / GP2 / Javonte
Dray / Moody / Gui
Goga / Trayce / Loon

While I do like this roster, a TON can change by offseason when maybe we are willing to deal any combo of CP3 contract, Moody, Dray, Kuminga, Loon, GP2, etc etc etc
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,492

Post#84 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:19 pm

Dream off-season:

- Let CP3 go
- Don't re-sign Klay
- Lottery gods help us, our pick lands in the top 4, doesn't convey to Portland
- Kerr decides to retire, we hire Budenholzer
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#85 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:21 pm

TB wrote:Staying under the tax is definitely a possibility... but it does mean we lose maxing out on the benefit of the CP3 deal. Sending this again, but with some tweaks if the goal is the 171m mark and not the 190m mark....

Lux tax - 171m
1st apron - 179m
2nd apron - 190m

With no trades, and before Klay/CP3 figured out, plus adding Q as a minimum....

11 players - 146m

Options to get to 171 without going over:

- Sign Klay
- trade CP3 for someone in the available range
- Use the MLE (13m)
- Use the Bi-Annual (5m)

Just gotta remember that we would then need to get to 14 players using vet minimums that are likely in the 2-3m range.

Example offseason if we dont make trades to stay under tax:

- Goga with part of MLE (lets say 10m but I really have no idea what his market will be)
- Dunn with part of MLE or Bi-Annual (5m)
- Lester on a minimum
- 2nd rounder (lets embrace small ball and go Lipsey so we dont have to sign another awful vet PG)
- Javonte Green vet min

Steph / Dunn / Lipsey
Wiggins / Podz / Lester
Kuminga / GP2 / Javonte
Dray / Moody / Gui
Goga / Trayce / Loon

While I do like this roster, a TON can change by offseason when maybe we are willing to deal any combo of CP3 contract, Moody, Dray, Kuminga, Loon, GP2, etc etc etc

I feel that if there isn't a trade that the FO loves, they're not going over the luxury tax for a Dejounte Murray for example. So it's either big game hunting or they stick with what they have.

I personally would just go with Podz as the backup pg and get a vet in free agency on the vet minimum. Hell, I'd try to get Ty Jerome back if possible. I do like the idea of using some of the MLE on Goga. But when I look at that roster, it needs shooting bad. Just don't know who. Lonnie Walker? He's been lowkey shooting well this season. Something like that. I really do wish the team traded for somebody like Bojan. Other than that, we better hope a few guys on that roster find their shooting again or get better.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,154

Post#86 » by TB » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:45 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Dream off-season:

- Let CP3 go
- Don't re-sign Klay

Only way I want to win lotto is if it lands in a spot (likely top 2) that gets us Risacher. Now that is the perfect 3/D player next to Kuminga/Podz/Moody if we are really going the route of not trading any of them. Other than that I would much rather make the playoffs, lose our pick, and finally have protections on 2025/2026 free'd up.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,043

Post#87 » by whatisacenter » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 am

TB wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Dream off-season:

- Let CP3 go
- Don't re-sign Klay

Only way I want to win lotto is if it lands in a spot (likely top 2) that gets us Risacher. Now that is the perfect 3/D player next to Kuminga/Podz/Moody if we are really going the route of not trading any of them. Other than that I would much rather make the playoffs, lose our pick, and finally have protections on 2025/2026 free'd up.

My only goal for the season is to have the pick convey this year.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Post#88 » by Jerry Maine » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:51 am

Impuniti wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:Klay is probably worth 8 per, and will likely get offered at least the tpmle from some team. He can still put up 30 when he's on. He's Kyle Korer with championship pedigree.

Curry likely wants him back but I doubt the team pays him a legacy contract after the last deal, something around 10per makes a lot of sense if he's shown he can play well as an off-the-bench gunner. If he wants above that, or struggles to adapt to his new reality, they should let him walk.

He already had a legacy contract

90 million before stepping on the court with injuries
Then a 10m guy grabbing 40m+ for 2 1/2 years after that

What legacy contract? Do they want to give him a supermax when he's 39 years old? :lol:

Fully agree, he's already had one. He's owed nothing aside arguably the option to remain at one club at an agreed price, tbd
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#89 » by Bayside » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 am

I am terrified the front office agrees with Kerr. I fear years of the Klay logging 30+ minutes. I start drinking early.

Start Podz, never put Klay in again. Let us sleep. Or rehab bound
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#90 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:56 am

Bayside wrote:I am terrified the front office agrees with Kerr. I fear years of the Klay logging 30+ minutes. I start drinking early.

Start Podz, never put Klay in again. Let us sleep. Or rehab bound

Lacob said that Klay is like a son to him. So yeah, I'm worried.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#91 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:19 am

I think the plan has always been:

Let cp3 walk.
Trade wiggins, loon, moody, gp2 as a salary dump.
Re-sign klay to a 3 year deal a little less than Poole money
Having to give jk a neat max extension complicated things.

No idea if dumping all those salaries to extend klay and jk keep us under the 1st apron.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#92 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:21 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I think the plan has always been:

Let cp3 walk.

No idea if dumping all those salaries to extend klay and jk keep us under the 1st apron.

I don't think Kuminga's new deal would kick in until 2026/2027 correct? That means, they could avoid the luxury tax for 2 years which means they get out of the repeater tax, does it not? I think that's what they're aiming for. They don't have a problem possibly going into the luxury tax again in a few years.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#93 » by Onus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:35 am

Let cp3 walk.

Ngl but signing jk to a max would be on par with signing jp for a max. And that wasn’t smart.

Jk shown some flashes the past month but he still has a ton to work on. Jp was a crucial component of a championship team and jk hasn’t really surpassed jp yet.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 262

Post#94 » by ShayDee » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:42 am

JK should get something similar to Poole/McDaniels/Vassell contract for 4 years with some sort of incentives in the contract like rebounds/all defense team/all star. It's just the best for both worlds and it will be slightly less than 30 mil.

Kuminga archetype in the league is valuable even if some might not like him. He is a big wing(6'7/6'8) that can potentially defend and rebound. Many teams don't have that and yearn for such players. That's what separates him from Poole as if he doesn't score he can at least do other things to help win but he still needs to develop

Idk if he will accept anything less than 30mil though
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,079

Post#95 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:52 am

killmongrel wrote:

Let cp3 walk.

I don't think Kuminga's new deal would kick in until 2026/2027 correct? That means, they could avoid the luxury tax for 2 years which means they get out of the repeater tax, does it not? I think that's what they're aiming for. They don't have a problem possibly going into the luxury tax again in a few years.

25/26
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#96 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:54 am

ShayDee wrote:JK should get something similar to Poole/McDaniels/Vassell contract for 4 years with some sort of incentives in the contract like rebounds/all defense team/all star. It's just the best for both worlds and it will be slightly less than 30 mil.

Kuminga archetype in the league is valuable even if some might not like him. He is a big wing(6'7/6'8) that can potentially defend and rebound. Many teams don't have that and yearn for such players. That's what separates him from Poole as if he doesn't score he can at least do other things to help win but he still needs to develop

Jk is closer to the poole archetype than the 2 way wing archetype you are describing.
Moody is closer to the big 2 way wing than jk is.

Jk is an elite rim pressure bucket getter who can get to the ft line. And that has value, especially on this team.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#97 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:57 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Let cp3 walk.

25/26

Okay thanks. I heard Lacob talking about avoiding the repeater tax. So does that mean they eventually have to get rid of at least Looney, GP2, and Moody by then? I think that gets them out of it doesn't it? While still keeping Wiggins?
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#98 » by ShayDee » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:17 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
ShayDee wrote:JK should get something similar to Poole/McDaniels/Vassell contract for 4 years with some sort of incentives in the contract like rebounds/all defense team/all star. It's just the best for both worlds and it will be slightly less than 30 mil.

Jk is closer to the poole archetype than the 2 way wing archetype you are describing.
Moody is closer to the big 2 way wing than jk is.

Jk is an elite rim pressure bucket getter who can get to the ft line. And that has value, especially on this team.

Some team will pay him regardless of what type of year he has next season because he is a big wing with potential. Poole the team should have waited till RFA to settle with him and he wouldn't have gotten anything near what was offered

Warriors should just try and lock u JK to less that 30mil before he hits RFA
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#99 » by Onus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:08 pm

ShayDee wrote:Kuminga archetype in the league is valuable even if some might not like him. He is a big wing(6'7/6'8) that can potentially defend and rebound. Many teams don't have that and yearn for such players. That's what separates him from Poole as if he doesn't score he can at least do other things to help win but he still needs to develop

Potentially defend and rebound. He's not really good at either right now is the issue.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#100 » by ShayDee » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:27 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:Kuminga archetype in the league is valuable even if some might not like him. He is a big wing(6'7/6'8) that can potentially defend and rebound. Many teams don't have that and yearn for such players. That's what separates him from Poole as if he doesn't score he can at least do other things to help win but he still needs to develop

Potentially defend and rebound. He's not really good at either right now is the issue.

I know, but that doesn't matter when other teams will just send an offer sheet of 140mil his way and warriors will be forced to match.

Tie him down early so it doesn't get to that

Return to Golden State Warriors