ImageImageImageImageImage

Lacob called Jeanie Buss at the deadline in attempt to acquire LeBron...

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Lacob called Jeanie Buss at the deadline in attempt to acquire LeBron... 

Post#1 » by Old_Blue » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:15 pm

Per Woj, Buss didn't reject the idea out of hand and talks progressed to the point of involving both Rich Paul and Draymond (who appears would NOT have been part of the trade). Talk about something that would have upended the entire NBA and playoffs. :o

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/02/warriors-attempted-to-get-lakers-to-consider-lebron-trade.html

"When Lacob reached out to Buss, she told the Warriors owner that while she had no interest in trading LeBron, that she would check in with him and Paul to gauge their thoughts.

Sources tell ESPN that Buss has 'operated with the mindset that she wants her star players content with the franchise,' so if he had been unhappy with his situation in Los Angeles, the team would have been open to changing its stance. That wasn’t the case, however, as Paul told both Lacob and Dunleavy that his top client wanted to remain a Laker."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/warriors-reportedly-tried-to-trade-for-lebron-james-to-pair-with-steph-curry-132252428.html

As for who the Dubs would have sent to the Lakers, Woj doesn't speculate. That said, a package of Chris Paul, Kuminga, Moody and Podziemski would work money wise. Stay tuned for this story resurfacing this off-season, especially if the Lakers bow out early. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: Lacob called Jeanie Buss at the deadline in attempt to acquire LeBron... 

Post#2 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:21 pm

This shows that Lacob is willing to go big game hunting this summer with all the salaries they have.

I'm willing to bet this did not involve Kuminga. I think it was most likely CP3 and Wiggins with assets.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,177

Post#3 » by cpower » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm

lebron missed out the opportunity he would be a good Iggy replacement
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#4 » by TB » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:24 pm

Any team that feels like they are a potential Lebron destination would not be doing their job if they didn't kick the tires on that. Good on Lacob/Dun/Dray to plant the seed. I personally don't think Lebron wants to move from LA, and I also dont think he's some great fit with our team.... but ya, you don't turn down Steph/Lebron playing together if its on the table.

I'd expect them to resurface this in the offseason if the Lakers have a bad end to the season (and we look somewhat decent still). IF Lebron decided he'd take a year or two with Steph, you know Klutch would force it to be in Lebrons favor... expirings and a million picks and probably keeping Kuminga/Podz. Heck, he'd probably force all teams to pass on Bronny until our 2nd round pick.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#5 » by jozef » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:27 pm

I find it shameful. A coward mentality.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#6 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:05 pm

I don’t think it would have worked basketball-wise to win a title this year or next.

They’d have given up too much to field a competitive team.

Would have been a huge marketing deal though. Maybe the league would have given the Warriors help to win in the playoffs with Podz getting to the FT lime like Reeves last year.

Still probably wouldn’t have been enough unless Steph and LBJ both averaged at least 30 each in the playoffs.

And they said Draymond pushed this but did he instigate the idea or just endorse it?

Does it betray the brin trust lacking confidence in the current roster? Why did they remain pat at the trade deadline then? Or is this the only idea they had?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:20 pm

Just reading about this. I always wanted a LeBron trade. Would have been awesome.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#8 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:49 pm

This could sort of explain sticking with Klay persistently all the way through the deadline, hoping he could have some breakout nights and draw interest.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#9 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:02 pm

wco81 wrote:I don’t think it would have worked basketball-wise to win a title this year or next.

They’d have given up too much to field a competitive team.

Would have been a huge marketing deal though. Maybe the league would have given the Warriors help to win in the playoffs with Podz getting to the FT lime like Reeves last year.

Still probably wouldn’t have been enough unless Steph and LBJ both averaged at least 30 each in the playoffs.

And they said Draymond pushed this but did he instigate the idea or just endorse it?

Does it betray the brin trust lacking confidence in the current roster? Why did they remain pat at the trade deadline then? Or is this the only idea they had?
I think part of it is the dollar signs that Lacob sees. Sure, the idea of LBJ on the team makes me nauseous but I understand.

Basketball wise? I think Lacob/Dunleavy saw an opportunity where they could have gotten LBJ on the cheap. "Cheap" however is them not giving up Kuminga. If it cost expirings and picks to do it, they were more than willing. At least that's what I think.

What people should be focused on is:

Draymond and LBJ talk all the time.
Buss actually told Lacob to go ahead and speak to LeBron and his camp.

That should be troubling to Laker fans.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:21 pm

I'd trade Kuminga for the next 2 years of LeBron and Steph. Sign me up.

CP3/Podz/Kuminga/Payton for LeBron works
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#11 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:30 pm

The holdup is the deal was whether the Warriors would get Foster, Brothers, and Zarba.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#12 » by B-King » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:42 pm

Just when he starts to show signs of life, Klay might go into another tailspin. He would of been part of any package that went to the Lakers.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#13 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:47 pm

B-King wrote:Just when he starts to show signs of life, Klay might go into another tailspin. He would of been part of any package that went to the Lakers.

Klay might go from one good game to a bad game?

Oh no! :lol:
Scotty2Hotty
Junior
And1: 87

Post#14 » by Scotty2Hotty » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:55 pm

Getting LeChoke does not guarantee winning another title nor even reaching the WCF. He’s proven that with his 3 (plus 2020 asterisk)-6 Finals record. As noted above, we’d give up too much and deplete our bench. And for what? 1-2 seasons? Hard pass.

I said after last year’s playoffs, I’d trade Draymond & Kuminga for Durant. And I still would. Much more tread on those tires than LeChoke.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#15 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:34 pm

I'm guessing klay was a part of the package and not cp3.

Klay and jk package.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#16 » by Coxy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:53 pm

Coxy does not support this idea.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#17 » by Old_Blue » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:01 pm

Scotty2Hotty wrote:Getting LeChoke does not guarantee winning another title nor even reaching the WCF.

No. But, it would guarantee that the Warriors' got 40 FTAs per game during the playoffs rather than their regular 10. :lol:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#18 » by jaymo123 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:10 pm

Hate that this came out now and hope it doesn't cause a tailspin, but not surprised. Klay and Wiggs were playing terrible up until recently (at least Wiggins) and it was already said that everyone on the dubs was on trading block with the exception being Steph, maybe Draymond.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is approached again in the offseason if his son is drafted by the dubs.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#19 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:14 pm

cpower wrote:lebron missed out the opportunity he would be a good Iggy replacement

Whenever LeBron to the Warriors was mentioned I would always say - half jokingly - that he'd be a great six man whenever Iguodala chooses to retire.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#20 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 pm

Scotty2Hotty wrote:Getting LeChoke does not guarantee winning another title nor even reaching the WCF. He’s proven that with his 3 (plus 2020 asterisk)-6 Finals record. As noted above, we’d give up too much and deplete our bench. And for what? 1-2 seasons? Hard pass.

I said after last year’s playoffs, I’d trade Draymond & Kuminga for Durant. And I still would. Much more tread on those tires than LeChoke.

I agree. This is not like the KD signing. With that said, this is Lacob thinking he can get LBJ for cheap, meaning they don't have to get rid of a lot of their assets to get him. I honestly think if Kuminga was a part of the deal, they wouldn't have done it.

Having Steph and LeBron flame out in the playoffs and seeing Kuminga looking good on another team would be a disaster.

Return to Golden State Warriors