ImageImageImageImageImage

2/14 Game 52 Clippers (35-17) @ Warriors (26-25) 7pm ESPN

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Which are you tuning into? Local broadcast or ESPN broadcast?

Local! Fitz & Kelenna
43%
ESPN - Her different takes.
50%
Both.
7%

Total votes: 14

SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Re: 2/14 Game 52 Clippers (35-17) @ Warriors (26-25) 7pm ESPN 

Post#241 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:38 am

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Joku has issues but they're heavily hidden with bandaids in the right lineups. If he's with undisciplined players like himself such as Klay, Saric, TJD, it shows up very easily. Putting him with Wiggins and Draymond helps.

If people are expecting him to go on a 65% TS tear for the rest of the season, then I have a bridge to sell you. Doesn't mean he can't be a positive key component for the team.

Dude no one is looking good playing next to Klay and Saric. You can say that about any player.

JK will do fine and he benefits the team by providing an inside threat. You take that away and you’re left with what you had in the beginning of the year where the defense only has to pay attention to the perimeter. Curry Podz will have a much tougher time scoring without JK there. You might as well pack up the season if he doesn’t play.

Tbh I’m not sure tjd might not be a better matchup for some teams than jk. Tjd brings the vertical threat and rim pressure without having to run offense for him. He’ll also bring better rebounding and rim protection. Wiggins and dray will allow him to chase blocks and they can rebound.

The problem is that Kerr doesn’t understand matchups. He’s a set rotations, closing 5 and only those 5 kind of coach.

TJD is way limited. But if he is surrounded by vets and gets more experience, he may be useful in minutes during playoffs which is why it’s critical to bench Klay to free up minutes. Don’t let the Utah game confuse you on Klay or TJD’s abilities. Klay is unusable and TJD needs more time.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,331

Post#242 » by Onus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:38 am

Frozzy wrote:Klay pouting on the bench before Kerr put him back in crunchtime
Read on Twitter

Mdj should send his ass home for conduct detrimental to the team.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,331

Post#243 » by Onus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:40 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Dude no one is looking good playing next to Klay and Saric. You can say that about any player.

JK will do fine and he benefits the team by providing an inside threat. You take that away and you’re left with what you had in the beginning of the year where the defense only has to pay attention to the perimeter. Curry Podz will have a much tougher time scoring without JK there. You might as well pack up the season if he doesn’t play.

Tbh I’m not sure tjd might not be a better matchup for some teams than jk. Tjd brings the vertical threat and rim pressure without having to run offense for him. He’ll also bring better rebounding and rim protection. Wiggins and dray will allow him to chase blocks and they can rebound.

The problem is that Kerr doesn’t understand matchups. He’s a set rotations, closing 5 and only those 5 kind of coach.

TJD is way limited. But if he is surrounded by vets and gets more experience, he may be useful in minutes during playoffs which is why it’s critical to bench Klay to free up minutes. Don’t let the Utah game confuse you on Klay or TJD’s abilities. Klay is unusable and TJD needs more time.

Oh yea tjd is limited. But so is jk.

I was mostly just responding to the rim pressure and tjd can provide that as well
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#244 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:44 am

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:Yes Klay is the first flashing red boat is sinking problem. Kerr is 2nd.

Jk was far from being the major problem but Jk wasn’t great. He’s a limited player both offensively and defensively. He’s not a good defender. Gets lost off the ball and rotation. He’s a decent poa defender but nothing special. Probably hurts you least there. Offensively he’s not a good shooter. Can only really attack the rim. Put any half decent rim protector back there and it basically neutralizes him.

Kerr is the first problem because he makes the decisions. And he plays Klay, which by now is beyond obvious, you don’t play him unless garbage minutes.

Like I said, you have to threaten the interior to keep the defense honest. As to defense, it’s more about how the unit functions together. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. They really need to integrate TJD or Moody with the Wiggs Dray and Kuminga to play against bigger lineups. Once that happens the team will have a fighting chance.

If they roll into playoffs without prepping them, and Kerr goes small we’ll see what happened tonight.

Klay was throwing a tantrum on the bench when the clippers made their run. Then Kerr decided to reinsert him back into the game.

I don’t give a damn what meltdown he’s having.

Ty Lue out coached Kerr. He knew how to fire up his team emotionally at the right moment.

Kerr is letting a useless player dictate minutes. Any useful coach would have given him the it’s time to retire speech.
Mambomuziki
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#245 » by Mambomuziki » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:44 am

Everytime we play the clippers, I think to myself watch out for Powell and Westbrook rebounding.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using RealGM mobile app
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#246 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:50 am

Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:Tbh I’m not sure tjd might not be a better matchup for some teams than jk. Tjd brings the vertical threat and rim pressure without having to run offense for him. He’ll also bring better rebounding and rim protection. Wiggins and dray will allow him to chase blocks and they can rebound.

Oh yea tjd is limited. But so is jk.

I was mostly just responding to the rim pressure and tjd can provide that as well

TJD can’t drive down hill like JK, or be a threat on fast break. The defense really keys on JK. What he needs to do is pass out more often and reset which will create openings. But they have been trying to use him as a last second bailout scorer.

TJD relies on people to make plays for him, but JK if gets more experience this year will create more for others which TJD can’t do because his offense relies on others.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#247 » by Romulus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 am

Onus wrote:
Frozzy wrote:Klay pouting on the bench before Kerr put him back in crunchtime
Read on Twitter

Mdj should send his ass home for conduct detrimental to the team.

My goodness. He'll say the right things, but when the games are being played, he acts like this. And don't fool yourself, everyone on the bench feels that negative energy.

What's sad to me? This team is good enough to have at least 10 more wins with a coach willing to make the tough choices when it comes to lineups and who plays when.

Instead, we're looking at another year of greatness from Curry completely wasted.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,143

Post#248 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:08 am

#1 problem is Steve Kerr. Klay sucks, Steve is the one playing the wrong guys. Man I'm tired of this crap. Moses Moody, 8 minutes of electric hustle and then glued to the pine.

I absolutely am loathe to say this, but I am EXHAUSTED with Klay Thompson. All the talk during and after games about his changing role/attitude, and it's just the same selfish guy who can't handle his decline. And there you have Steve Kerr, his enabler.

Steve was supposed to be the one to help Klay age gracefully... instead he's made him age terribly. Klay gets clowned on in every game thread. Reddit, RealGM General Board, everyone sees this guy is washed and it's just so painful from both the legacy of Klay and the reality of Klay.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#249 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:49 am

Read on Twitter

Look at kerrs reaction.

And klay calmly walks it off while ignoring steph. At that moment he probably still had no clue what the situation was.

Yet, they STILL design the last shot to go to klay.

Unbelievable
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#250 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Look at kerrs reaction.

And klay calmly walks it off while ignoring steph. At that moment he probably still had no clue what the situation was.

Yet, the STILL design the last shot to go to klay.

Unbelievable

I'm at my wit's end here man. All season long I've read you and CDM give 10x better advice than what Steve Kerr is doing. I honestly don't get it. How is Steve the only non-Klay guy who doesn't? How is this professional NBA coaching?

:banghead: :evil: :banghead: :evil:
Mambomuziki
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#251 » by Mambomuziki » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:01 am

Just rewatched the 4th quarter. We fouled a lot especially the And ones ,we shouldn't have doubled harden that much, the only time we didn't we got a steal. We lost our attention on defence, leaving Powell and Coffey open. Russ got a couple of really good oreb, we didn't box him out.
Hopefully they can learn and adjust

Sent from my Pixel 7a using RealGM mobile app
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#252 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:08 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

Look at kerrs reaction.

Yet, they STILL design the last shot to go to klay.

Unbelievable

The way they react to Klay, and I don't mean to be offensive, is kind of like when somebody who is mentally impaired does something wrong, but you don't want to get on their case too much because, you know.... :lol:
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#253 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Look at kerrs reaction.

Yet, the STILL design the last shot to go to klay.

Unbelievable

I'm at my wit's end here man. All season long I've read you and CDM give 10x better advice than what Steve Kerr is doing. I honestly don't get it. How is Steve the only non-Klay guy who doesn't? How is this professional NBA coaching?

:banghead: :evil: :banghead: :evil:

I understand it but don't agree with it.

I imagine kerr had been more protective of klay than any other player.

Steph is the first born who can do no wrong.
Dray is the petulant youngest sibling that gets all the attention because he acts out.
Klay doesn't get the attentiom he thinks he deserves, so kerr massages the ego.

Kerr has actively put his legacy on the line abd to a smaller extent,the Warriors by kowtowing to klay. Kerr, steph, and the people around klay are just as much to blame as klay himself. They've basically enabled him and can't walk it back without hurting klay. So, instead they take it upon themselves to shelter him from it.

They want him to get paid.
They want him to do so well.
They want him to reclaim that glory.

I understand it but at some point, they need to give him the hard truth. Klay isnt a bad player he's just not that guy anymore. He needs a better role for who he is today.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#254 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:20 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I understand it but don't agree with it.

I imagine kerr had been more protective of klay than any other player.

Steph is the first born who can do no wrong.
Dray is the petulant youngest sibling that gets all the attention because he acts out.
Klay doesn't get the attentiom he thinks he deserves, so kerr massages the ego.

Kerr has actively put his legacy on the line abd to a smaller extent,the Warriors by kowtowing to klay. Kerr, steph, and the people around klay are just as much to blame as klay himself. They've basically enabled him and can't walk it back without hurting klay. So, instead they take it upon themselves to shelter him from it.

They want him to get paid.
They want him to do so well.
They want him to reclaim that glory.

I understand it but at some point, they need to give him the hard truth. Klay isnt a bad player he's just not that guy anymore. He needs a better role for who he is today.

The hard truth should have come a long time ago. It's costing the team and Klay. There's no reason all the Warrior fans, players (including Klay) should be feeling this kind of pain. A legend is being actively disparaged in all circles -- twitter, tv, game threads everywhere because he is playing minutes WAY beyond his current ability. It's embarrassing, unnecessary, and part of me will never forgive Steve for this crap.

A coach putting a team's legend in a bad spot is unbelievably painful. I hate expecting everytime Klay dribbles the ball for something bad to happen. I hate seeing him unable to fight for loose balls, keep up with defenders, etc.

I hate hearing about Klay dealing with adversity every f'ing podcast, news article, whatever. It's EXHAUSTING.

Steve needs to go watch some old tape of Klay. Not even remotely the same player. I feel bad typing this stuff, you're making me Steve!

In honor of who Klay has been for us, everyone watch THE REAL LEGEND

watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#255 » by watch1958 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:21 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Yea Klay screwed up pretty badly repeatedly in the 4th.. but I'm not even angry at him or surprised. More frustrated I bought the crocodile tears for a second.. the second he gets a chance, he's going to try and relive the glory times, press too much, get frustrated when it doesnt work, then hurt the team. Same as he's done all year

He doesnt have it in him to change
It’s pretty good theater. Angst over “only” playing 30 minutes.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#256 » by Sandy333 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:23 am

whatisacenter wrote:It was a brutal end of the game even before Klay made his bad mistake. The Warriors were punished at the end for going small for the first time in a long time.

They need to get a bounce back win tomorrow night in Utah and hope the all-star break provides them enough wind in their sails to be able to finish the season strong.

It is a problem we continue to have. Our good defensive lineup is great against most combos, except against tall centers. Kuminga hesitates to drive if there is a tall center lurking. They couldnot deal with Harden as well.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#257 » by WarriorGM » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:27 am

Didn't see the game so I'm only going off numbers.

Klay may have had a brain aneurysm for all I know but the loss cannot all be laid at his feet. The closing lineup apparently was Steph, Draymond, Wiggins, Kuminga and Podziemski. They went -8 in the last 7 minutes or so. What that tells me is either Kerr didn't match the lineup to the opponent's moves or that this lineup needs to be given more thought. My feeling is Moody or TJD ideally should be in there not Podz. If that's not currently best that's what the team should be working towards.

Draymond had the worst +/- on the team. Was he just substandard defensively in this game?

Looking at the last few minutes of the game Steph had two turnovers and 6 misses and 4 makes. Ok you want Steph to take the most shots in the last few minutes but maybe he's taking too much making the offense too predictable and the others aren't enough of a threat? I'm also wondering if fatigue played a role. Anyway I'm guessing the team's defense was the bigger issue. Zubac was tied with Harden with the best +/- on the Clippers. Zubac's presence coincided with Clippers' runs, and his absence had the best minutes for the Dubs.
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#258 » by Sandy333 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:30 am

whatisacenter wrote:It was a brutal end of the game even before Klay made his bad mistake. The Warriors were punished at the end for going small for the first time in a long time.

They need to get a bounce back win tomorrow night in Utah and hope the all-star break provides them enough wind in their sails to be able to finish the season strong.

It is a problem we continue to have. Our good defensive lineup is great against most combos, except against tall centers. Kuminga hesitates to drive if there is a tall center lurking. They couldnot deal with Harden as well.
Moody misses bunnies and playing like Klay.
Tye Lou made adjustments and outcoached Steve.
Too much load on Draymond and Podz.
Sandy333
Sophomore

Post#259 » by Sandy333 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 am

Why were Warriors playing with Green down injured. I believe steve needed to step in there. Team lost from there. Even if there is a open basket, you gotta stop when your teammate is injured. They need to stop play for head injuries like in football.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 456

Post#260 » by superunknown » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:35 am

how is not a bad player?
he's washed on D.
he takes dumb shots or force them for no reason.
he can't create separation anymore (when you lose 1-2 steps on D you also lose the very same 1-2 steps on offense).
he can't box out.
he can't handle the ball.
he's never had high BIQ.
he gives up on plays or makes dumb plays like the one at the end of the game tonight.
and he's not a bad player?
he's done. not as "that guy", he's done even as 6th man coming off the bench or 8th man.
there are at least 9-10 guys on the team that should play ahead of him. at this stage his role should be playing stints with the second unit when they need instant shooting and his shot is falling. that's it.
and, more important than anything else, his attitude stinks big time.
his presence on the floor and on the bench (pouting all the time) has become detrimental to the team, also because as cherry on top, there's the double standards by kerr who treats him differently than any other player on the roster.
the more time he plays, the more respect he'll lose.
tonight he was atrocious on both ends of the ball and the attitude was lousier than his performance.
honestly, thanks for everything but now f*** off. either he accepts reality or can stay home.

Return to Golden State Warriors