ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers at Golden State

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,690

Re: Lakers at Golden State 

Post#201 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:32 am

I thin the Warriors are good. Not good enough to win a chapionship but good enough to get to the confernce finals.
Warriors are stll small. Replace Klay with best of current Klay best of peak Klay fusion player and replace Trayce with best of trayce best of February 2016 Bogut bigger experienced ball handling Trayce, mobile Bogut fusion player and then the Warriors could win the champioship.

The team that faces the Warriors in the first round will be unlucky because the Warriors will be better than their seed.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#202 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:34 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:What? No, I'm saying the game moves too fast for him right now. He can rim run and it's great but he's a mess on defense. He shouldn't be in against the best team's starters. As long as he's playing against the other team's bench he can be a net positive.

I'm saying the game doesn't move to fast. He fits right in. He has great awareness and control. It's extremely impressive.

He's a poor defender. He can't keep up with actions, particularly out of the PnR. How you don't notice that I can't explain.

He's not any worse than klay or jk. He might still be better even with his lack of ability to guard in space.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#203 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:37 am

Klay missed a bunch of shots, but he didn't hijack the offense. I thought he played a solid game. He wasn't noticeable on defense nor the boards, which is a big plus.

I'll take this klay game every day over 30 points and disastrous everywhere else.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,176

Post#204 » by watch1958 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:37 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Isn't it amazing when Kerr plays Moody and TJD....suddenly Warriors can rebound and defend the rim AND have a lob threat.

If Kerr doesn't play these guys going forward ..... :banghead:

I did not see anything special from Moody.
You never do.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#205 » by michaelm » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:04 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Isn't it amazing when Kerr plays Moody and TJD....suddenly Warriors can rebound and defend the rim AND have a lob threat.

If Kerr doesn't play these guys going forward ..... :banghead:

Moody is only bench quality at this point. He really needs to work on his three point shooting and his play making to move up the ladder.

That doesn’t excuse Kerr for not giving him minutes over other players. Saric, Klay, Looney are mid at best now, but they are granted minutes more for personal reasons. If they don’t turn it around, their minutes should be limited during the playoffs. Moody and TJD should get more reps leading up to the playoffs. I don’t think either Moody or TJD will be completely ready by playoffs, but they should help in spot situations and lineups.

Somehow Moody managed to be ready and played well including a high 3 point shooting percentage in the play-offs last season. I agree he needs more minutes in the regular season this season to be ready for this season's play-offs, but in no way was he found out last season.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,205

Post#206 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:13 am

killmongrel wrote:Remember all those dildos that wanted to trade Wiggins?

Ya I defended Wiggins before the season and during the season to all kinds of awful trade proposals on the Trade Board. I even remember getting yelled at by a moderator because I said GSW would/should decline a Wiggins for Covington based swap because I wanted to bet on the upside of Wiggins and not sell low. Same guy also calls Curry a "Frontrunner" and then later suggested a Grant Williams based Wiggins swap :lol:

Dildos indeed.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#207 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:22 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Remember all those dildos that wanted to trade Wiggins?

Ya I defended Wiggins before the season and during the season to all kinds of awful trade proposals on the Trade Board. I even remember getting yelled at by a moderator because I said GSW would/should decline a Wiggins for Covington based swap because I wanted to bet on the upside of Wiggins and not sell low. Same guy also calls Curry a "Frontrunner" and then later suggested a Grant Williams based Wiggins swap :lol:

Dildos indeed.

Oh, god, the trade board.

The s#!t I was reading. :lol:
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,205

Post#208 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:30 am

killmongrel wrote:

Yeah it was awful, it's funny the regulars and some of the mods on the Trade Board really overrate their appraisal skills (HartfordWhalers is still cool though) and really act dismissive of certain viewpoints/posters they have disagreed with... only to have massive egg on their face later and try to forget about what they said. Then they'll post 1 or 2 things in the 'eating crow' thread, and act like those were their only misses. Didn't see Wiggins at all in that thread :roll:
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#209 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Yeah it was awful, it's funny the regulars and some of the mods on the Trade Board really overrate their appraisal skills (HartfordWhalers is still cool though) and really act dismissive of certain viewpoints/posters they have disagreed with... only to have massive egg on their face later and try to forget about what they said. Then they'll post 1 or 2 things in the 'eating crow' thread, and act like those were their only misses :lol: Didn't see Wiggins at all in that thread :roll:

I don't know what the deal is with that board. It certainly is full of "special" posters.

I just remember seeing so many trade proposals involving Wiggins where some would chime in and say how since other teams have to take Wiggins, the Warriors should have to add value like throwing in Kuminga. Like, I know a lot of people there hate the Warriors, but can they at least not make it so obvious? :lol:
michaelm
RealGM

Post#210 » by michaelm » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:46 am

killmongrel wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Yeah it was awful, it's funny the regulars and some of the mods on the Trade Board really overrate their appraisal skills (HartfordWhalers is still cool though) and really act dismissive of certain viewpoints/posters they have disagreed with... only to have massive egg on their face later and try to forget about what they said. Then they'll post 1 or 2 things in the 'eating crow' thread, and act like those were their only misses :lol: Didn't see Wiggins at all in that thread :roll:

I don't know what the deal is with that board. It certainly is full of "special" posters.

I just remember seeing so many trade proposals involving Wiggins where some would chime in and say how since other teams have to take Wiggins, the Warriors should have to add value like throwing in Kuminga. Like, I know a lot of people there hate the Warriors, but can they at least not make it so obvious? :lol:

Still asking whether Wiggins should be traded in the off season on GSOM, reputedly a GSW forum, and some posters are on board with same.

If GSW want to start a major tank next season sure, but otherwise they are not getting anyone close to 2022 Wiggins or recent 2024 Wiggins for the money he is on.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,374

Post#211 » by SpreeS » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:32 pm

I cant believe that

Davis played more than Saric and Moody played more than Lester, also Klay started and finshed on the bench...

I cant believe too that to reach this stage for all time coach needs 50 RS games...
billinder33
Junior
And1: 85

Post#212 » by billinder33 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:05 pm

I don't think it was Wiggins' bad play early this season that prompted all the trade talk. It was that, plus last season's absence and poor playoff showing... a full calendar year of bad or missing Wiggins that caused all the fire-sale talk.

If he keeps performing like this it'll be all good moving forward. But looking across the last two seasons, there's been more bad/missing Wiggins than championship-year Wiggins and current Wiggins is more the anomaly than the norm across that time span. That doesn't excuse idiotic trade banter, but people have a reason to be skeptical. This board is infested with short-termism, but Wiggs issues were way beyond RGMs typical three game slump reactionary thinking.

All the things being said about Wiggs can apply to Klay as well... His struggles have been going on for over a year now. Are the thoughts on Kay just short term reactionary thinking as well? 34 years old isn't exactly ancient in today's era of modern sports science.

Hopefully we're past it all now. Trade deadline has come and gone now, so we'll just have to see how it all shakes out and spin up more new ridiculous trade talk in the off-season.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,279

Post#213 » by Impuniti » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:54 pm

SpreeS wrote:I cant believe that

Davis played more than Saric and Moody played more than Lester, also Klay started and finshed on the bench...

I cant believe too that to reach this stage for all time coach needs 50 RS games...

It wasn't just reaching 50 games, it was being out of even the playin games halfway into the season while having Steph Curry and the highest billable team in the entire league. That's what it took for Kerr to start making.. basic normal moves that should have been done long ago.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#214 » by michaelm » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:04 pm

billinder33 wrote:I don't think it was Wiggins' bad play early this season that prompted all the trade talk. It was that, plus last season's absence and poor playoff showing... a full calendar year of bad or missing Wiggins that caused all the fire-sale talk.

If he keeps performing like this it'll be all good moving forward. But looking across the last two seasons, there's been more bad/missing Wiggins than championship-year Wiggins and current Wiggins is more the anomaly than the norm across that time span. That doesn't excuse idiotic trade banter, but people have a reason to be skeptical. This board is infested with short-termism, but Wiggs issues were way beyond RGMs typical three game slump reactionary thinking.

All the things being said about Wiggs can apply to Klay as well... His struggles have been going on for over a year now. Are the thoughts on Kay just short term reactionary thinking as well? 34 years old isn't exactly ancient in today's era of modern sports science.

Hopefully we're past it all now. Trade deadline has come and gone now, so we'll just have to see how it all shakes out and spin up more new ridiculous trade talk in the off-season.

Except Wiggins had a rib or rib cartilage injury, something very recoverable without long term effects on his athleticism, and 28 or 29 is significantly younger than 34. At Klay's age and with among the two worst injuries for a basketball player there is not much chance of him regaining his former athleticism and iron man endurance 2 years into his return. Wiggins was also playing excellently early last season before whatever his problems were. I guess it is fair to question how reliable his motivation is, particularly after whatever went on last year, but I don't think he can be blamed for being physically under-prepared at the start of this season after Lebron broke his rib while he was playing for GSW against the Lakers in a play-off game.

Someone on GSOM put it best imo, when Wiggins was playing badly he wouldn't have brought anything worthwhile in trade, if he returned to his best you wouldn't want to trade him, pretty much my attitude. I myself expected him to recover, if not as soon as he has given his trouble keeping weight on at the best of times.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#215 » by vagelis » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:46 pm

michaelm wrote:
billinder33 wrote:I don't think it was Wiggins' bad play early this season that prompted all the trade talk. It was that, plus last season's absence and poor playoff showing... a full calendar year of bad or missing Wiggins that caused all the fire-sale talk.

Except Wiggins had a rib or rib cartilage injury, something very recoverable without long term effects on his athleticism, and 28 or 29 is significantly younger than 34. At Klay's age and with among the two worst injuries for a basketball player there is not much chance of him regaining his former athleticism and iron man endurance 2 years into his return. Wiggins was also playing excellently early last season before whatever his problems were. I guess it is fair to question how reliable his motivation is, particularly after whatever went on last year, but I don't think he can be blamed for being physically under-prepared at the start of this season after Lebron broke his rib while he was playing for GSW against the Lakers in a play-off game.

Someone on GSOM put it best imo, when Wiggins was playing badly he wouldn't have brought anything worthwhile in trade, if he returned to his best you wouldn't want to trade him, pretty much my attitude. I myself expected him to recover, if not as soon as he has given his trouble keeping weight on at the best of times.

People don't realize that Wiggins is too good to be written off.
I read so many times during the years that Wiggins is a bust, worst contract in the league etc.

And Wiggins responds.
ROY, 24 ppg season, max extension, trade to Warriors, All star starter, 2d best player of a champion team.
I never write him off.
He is a weird personality and his career is not near his talent but his talent is too big to take his bad perforformance periods as normal

And take into consideration that Warriors do not set plays for Wiggins in order to score.
They set plays for Thompson, Kuminga, Podjemski but they let Wiggins score only when the ball (accidentaly) comes to him.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,354

Post#216 » by Onus » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 pm

vagelis wrote:
michaelm wrote:

People don't realize that Wiggins is too good to be written off.
I read so many times during the years that Wiggins is a bust, worst contract in the league etc.

And Wiggins responds.
ROY, 24 ppg season, max extension, trade to Warriors, All star starter, 2d best player of a champion team.
I never write him off.
He is a weird personality and his career is not near his talent but his talent is too big to take his bad perforformance periods as normal

And take into consideration that Warriors do not set plays for Wiggins in order to score.
They set plays for Thompson, Kuminga, Podjemski but they let Wiggins score only when the ball (accidentaly) comes to him.

They run post ups for him as well as head tap. Wiggins is a limited scorer, which is fine because he’s an amazing defender.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#217 » by vagelis » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 pm

Onus wrote:They run post ups for him as well as head tap. Wiggins is a limited scorer, which is fine because he’s an amazing defender.

I don't agree.
He averages 19ppg for his 10 year career.

He would average a lot more points for Warriors if they set some screens for him.
He is one of the best players in the league in driving to the basket.
Warriors don't utilize this
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#218 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:25 pm

vagelis wrote:
Onus wrote:They run post ups for him as well as head tap. Wiggins is a limited scorer, which is fine because he’s an amazing defender.

I don't agree.
He averages 19ppg for his 10 year career.

He would average a lot more points for Warriors if they set some screens for him.
He is one of the best players in the league in driving to the basket.
Warriors don't utilize this

He also needs to want it. Often times he's too passive.

In the 4th vs the lakers, he didn't need any plays run. He just wanted the ball and he played with force. And just attacked.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 85

Post#219 » by billinder33 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:44 pm

michaelm wrote:

I'm not disputing anything you're saying, I'm trying to add some perspective from the 'average/casual fan' point of view. Most fans can't to take 2 months off work for any reason whatsoever and then have a job to come back to, let alone collect a generational wealth paycheck while doing so. Then you add a 9-month timeline to fully recover from a rib cartilage fracture, an extremely long timeframe, plus a history of underperforming vs expectations (realistic or not) and you can see how the casual fan can start to form an image of a guy who's not committed to his insanely well-paid profession.

The best case, which maybe is the actual case, is that the Wiggins camp is just lousy at handling public perception. Personally I appreciate the Wiggs isn't out there trying to draw media attention to himself. And maybe I missed it, but seems to me that a little bit of positive PR would have gone a long way over what we got this past year, which was essentially radio silence.

I'm not saying that "Wiggs doesn't care" or "is a bum" is the right perspective, or that everyone's personal issues and injury recovery timeframes aren't unique, but it's easy to see how someone on the outside looking in would prefer a more outwardly committed player, even if that player came with a slightly lower ceiling.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#220 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:47 pm

I like what I saw out of Klay. He played within the offense and only shot when we needed him to shoot.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett

Return to Golden State Warriors